The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

Yeah, all we need is another AARP card carrying member on our team. :)

Seriously now, Bill Guerin may be old as dirt, but from what I've seen from him this season, at least he's not shy about standing in front of the net or crashing it when necessary, and he can also mix it up in that old gritty Gary Roberts kinda way. And that's a lot more than many younger guys on our team are willing and/or capable of doing.

Then again, I'd take a pass. He would make a good rental for a playoff bound team, and that's something we're not this season.

If it was the Canes, they've backed out, as they should, because they stand no chance of making the playoffs. This teams needs a blockbuster trade or to start selling what they can (if anything).

If it was the Canes, they've backed out, as they should, because they stand no chance of making the playoffs. This teams needs a blockbuster trade or to start selling what they can (if anything).

Quite possible. Guerin was pulled out on Saturday and to be moved on Sunday, but something fell through. With the Canes performance Saturday, backing out would make sense and Guerin will be headed elsewhere. If Guerin is headed to the Canes, it's a terrible move, seriously we'd be pushing a SNHL team (senior). Do they want Ronnie to suit up again as well?

And on the blockbuster or sell options, I say SELL, SELL, SELL like a used car salesman, JR!

I am too on the "SELL, SELL, SELL!" bandwagon! This team is going nowhere, it's a whole lot less than the sum of its parts, and it needs to be blown up and rebuilt from scratch, pretty much.

Quite possible. Guerin was pulled out on Saturday and to be moved on Sunday, but something fell through. With the Canes performance Saturday, backing out would make sense and Guerin will be headed elsewhere. If Guerin is headed to the Canes, it's a terrible move, seriously we'd be pushing a SNHL team (senior). Do they want Ronnie to suit up again as well?

And on the blockbuster or sell options, I say SELL, SELL, SELL like a used car salesman, JR!

I was thinking the same thing. I believe it was announced he was going to be traded after we had scored a few goals?... Dreger reports the Capitals are the team he believes are after Guerin.

Ek: "The Coyotes are also looking to move Jovonavski. Its a Big Ticket Hit. NJ and Carolina are interested."

According to wikipedia this guy is an offensive defenseman making around 6 mil a year. I'd say those two factors squash this rumor.

I though Jovanovski was more of a defensive defensemen. At 6 mil per year, he could be both and we aren't trading for him.

Yea see I'm not too sure about the guy. Wikipedia rants about how many points he puts up but tsn says he is a "tough, natural blueliner." At 6 mil a year, he better be good all around.

Yea see I'm not too sure about the guy. Wikipedia rants about how many points he puts up but tsn says he is a "tough, natural blueliner." At 6 mil a year, he better be good all around.

he'd defeinitely be labeled an offensive d-man but his size and physicality make him tough to play against in the D-zone. Not worth 6.5 Mil.

We are not trading for any high price talent especially since then you have to give up draft picks on a year where making the playoffs is not a certainty.

I can't imagine us doing Ruutu for Cole (especially with Ruutu being a RFA as opposed to UFA). I can't understand people want Cole back on this team. I really hope we don't re-sign him.

Cole remains a class act but it seems he has not regained the form he had prior to the injury. Ruutu adds a good deal of grit to the team. Not sure if a Cole for Ruutu deal would help the Canes.

ESPN - LeBrun:

"The Carolina Hurricanes are in a tough spot -- they can't really afford to be buyers or sellers. They're one point out of the eighth playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, so they're very much in the mix. However, a rental player wouldn't have much appeal for them because there's a chance they won't make the postseason.

So, if the Hurricanes make a deal, and we believe they would like to add a forward, it'll be more of a "hockey deal" that doesn't involve players with expiring contracts. One thing is for sure: The money-conscious Hurricanes cannot increase the payroll in any trade.

There's been much speculation on the return of Edmonton Oilers forward Erik Cole to Carolina, but because he'll be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, we don't see that type of move as a great fit at this point. But come July 1? We wouldn't be surprised if Carolina were to make an offer.

We also have an update on defenseman Frantisek Kaberle, who was waived a couple of weeks ago by the Hurricanes. There was thought the team might put him on re-entry waivers and see whether another team would want to take him for half his contract (he earns $2.2 million this season and $2.2 million in 2009-10), but now it appears that unless there's a good trade offer for him, the Hurricanes will keep him."

----

Nothing new there...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/WBhockeyblog/

The Carolina Hurricanes and Los Angeles Kings were in trade discussions on Tuesday that would send Justin Williams to the Kings. Williams, 27, has battled injuires the past 15 months. He missed half of last season with a serious knee injury and last month suffered a broken hand that will keep him out another two weeks or so.

Who would come back the other way? JJ.......just kidding!!!

For Williams? Done deal. Even if he refuses to play for us, we'll get a heck of a lot more for him than we would for Williams.

There's the always persistent Frolov rumors from LA. And Staal does need a 1st line winger...

For Williams? Done deal. Even if he refuses to play for us, we'll get a heck of a lot more for him than we would for Williams.

There's the always persistent Frolov rumors from LA. And Staal does need a 1st line winger...

well then id be williams and a high draft pick then...definitely don't see LA taking Williams for Frolov straight up.

edit: but i'd take frolov for sure.

Legit rumors in print somewhere or message board chatter?

In truth, Williams has had a tough go of it since the Cup win. He may be in need of a fresh start somewhere else once his hand heels up.

Legit rumors in print somewhere or message board chatter?

In truth, Williams has had a tough go of it since the Cup win. He may be in need of a fresh start somewhere else once his hand heels up.

What? The fact that Frolov might be on the trading block, or that he might be heading to Carolina?

What? The fact that Frolov might be on the trading block, or that he might be heading to Carolina?
That he may be heading to Carolina. I hadnt read that one yet but that doesnt mean its not out there.

That he may be heading to Carolina. I hadnt read that one yet but that doesnt mean its not out there.

Part message board chatter, partly based on previous printed rumors. Pretty sure there was a rumor with Cole for Frolov straight up that got a lot of press about 2 years ago. Said the deal was almost done but fell through in the last minute.

I know it probably won't be a busy deadline day for the 'Canes but man it sure would be nice for some of these rumors to actually happen.

Some chatter around that the Canes are going to pick up Gerber off re-entry and trying to get Neil out of Ottawa as part of the deal.

We'll see.

Source or link?

So far the only action has been with teams re-signing or stating some of the bigger name players are staying put.

Chris Proger, Keith Tkachuk , Nic Backstrom and Tomas Kaberle are some of the big name players now off the market. Maybe with the current economy and questions about the future cap, GM's werent willing to pay some of the asking prices so this is a new ploy to start driving prices up?

This could get real interesting...