The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

interesting.

I would hope not! We have a solid backup with Leighton and I would hate to lose him. But, if we are not going to play him then I would hope the best for him with another team. He is a great guy, loves the fans, and a very good goalie...given the chance to play...so I hope this is just a rumor!!!

Gerber is a shell of his former self but Leighton isn't exactly stellar either.

Personally the only thing that makes sense about picking up Gerber is that he used to be a Cane and JR needs his fix of ex-Canes. Other than that he is not an upgrade over Leighton. Leighton has simply not seen enough action to be sure how good he could be. We do need a scoring forward though. If this is the only way to get that is to pick up Gerber as part of the deal, then maybe.

I'd love to grab him, but he's making 3.3 right now, and after another PPG season, he's due for a raise. Probably out of our price range.

Not if Cole is gone....

I think Cammalleri can play both center and wing. But I say we just resign Jussi Jokinen for that role.

Cammalleri should not be compared to Cole, nor thought as possible replacement if Cole decides not to re-sign here.

I wish the Pens would trade for Sergei Samsonov :)

Why do you say that and who would they trade? I want to see Sammy for at least another year. He delivered his share for the Canes this season and postseason and he's so much fun to watch. I wouldn't trade him for anything Pittsburgh would give us in return.

Looks like we are wanting to keep LaRose and Cole. Rutherford says LaRose will most likely get a substantial (twice his salary now) pay raise while we are looking to keep Cole, only if he accepts about a million dollar pay cut.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...s&Itemid=55 <-- LaRose

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...s&Itemid=55 <-- Cole

I want Jussi and LaRose back. Rutuu would probably be good to resign as well even though he has been a no show in the playoffs. As much as I love Cole and even though he's one of my favorites....I'm not too high on resigning him right now. Ever since that broken neck he's been a non-factor. Some say his return gave us that big late season push, but I'm not sure it wasn't just the fact that adding another forward helped to give us more balance on our lines. I think we would better served to get someone that is a legitimate night in and night out scoring threat so that the other teams must account for someone other than Staal because right now the opposing teams just have to focus on Staal and we don't have another primary scorer, just secondary scoring.

Also it is clear that Brindy's late season surge was simply enough to get us into the playoffs and after that he fizzled out. I really am not sure he can physically go another season. I'm interested in seeing what he does now that he's the Captain of the team, but on the 4th line.

Our D was improved this year for a while, but I still think we could use one more shut down guy like Gleason. Babchuk was a late season revelation, but he again fizzled big time. He only plays well when he has confidence and his confidence (even when it is high) is very shaky. I would love to see him take the role of a 7th defenseman and see if he can be worth a gamble, but we still have Kabs contract to deal with for one more year.

I would just like to add, while these rumors might be going on, we have to consider Sutter and/or Boychuk playing for us. If they play for us, that would be less shoes to fill for this team. I don't know much about their status. But I have heard Sutter will be really likely to play full time next year, I haven't heard anything about Boychuk though.

A defensive defenseman, and a winger to play with Staal are likely targets for this team. Our targets will of course change depending on who will do and don't re-sign.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but could we finally unload Kabs 2 million dollar salary? A player that has been a healthy scratch throughout this season because of his poor play.

I really hate to say it, but I think this summer is the right time for Brindy to hand over the C to Staal, whether he retires or not. Rod is no longer in a position to lead by example with his reduced TOI and justified demotion to the fourth line. Maybe he just needs to heal up over the summer, but I don't see him improving much next year over this past year. His prime years are well in the past and it's time to give the C to a guy who is ready to lead by example. I think Staal needs and wants that extra pressure on him.

I would love to see Sutter play for us next year full time. If he can live up to billing it seems he may be like a young Rod Brindamour. He can score and be a shut down defensive center. I like what Boychuck and Bowman have, but we need to find another winger who can get Staal a scoring line mate, something he hasn't had since Cole went down in '06. Adding another defensive shut down guy on the blue line would greatly improve our team as well since we only have Gleason and Seids to an extent.

I think we could have some cap room if we can somehow unload Kab's salary, not resign Cole (or maybe resign him to a much lower contract and hope to God that he begins to play well again), potentially Rod could retire (I know that he would probably try to come back, but if he's the Captain, getting 4th line minutes, cannot play D like he used and cannot score....I would like him to lean toward hanging them up now), and also as much as I like Walker....I wish it had been a 2 year deal we signed him to. He had that one big 20 goal season for us, but since then has been hampered by injuries and we need to get younger. I would like to see him back, but only if we have enough talent on the top 3 lines for him to play on the 4th next year.

I would love to see Sutter play for us next year full time. If he can live up to billing it seems he may be like a young Rod Brindamour. He can score and be a shut down defensive center. I like what Boychuck and Bowman have, but we need to find another winger who can get Staal a scoring line mate, something he hasn't had since Cole went down in '06. Adding another defensive shut down guy on the blue line would greatly improve our team as well since we only have Gleason and Seids to an extent.

I think we could have some cap room if we can somehow unload Kab's salary, not resign Cole (or maybe resign him to a much lower contract and hope to God that he begins to play well again), potentially Rod could retire (I know that he would probably try to come back, but if he's the Captain, getting 4th line minutes, cannot play D like he used and cannot score....I would like him to lean toward hanging them up now), and also as much as I like Walker....I wish it had been a 2 year deal we signed him to. He had that one big 20 goal season for us, but since then has been hampered by injuries and we need to get younger. I would like to see him back, but only if we have enough talent on the top 3 lines for him to play on the 4th next year.

Sutter did look pretty promising in the games he played in with us. I'm with you on Brind'amour. He is just too old, too slow now. I went to the horrific game last night, and Brind'amour looked absolutely awful out there. I think he has one more year on his contract; would trading him be so bad for our team? And is he really worth anything now? Or do you think this is his last year? I hate to say this, but I think Brind'amour just isn't helping this team right now. I think we may resign Cole, but if he doesn't step it up I can see him being traded at the deadline. Wouldn't it be funny if we traded Cole to somehow get Williams back? I think we may also see other players traded such as, Eaves or Ruutu.

Sutter did look pretty promising in the games he played in with us. I'm with you on Brind'amour. He is just too old, too slow now. I went to the horrific game last night, and Brind'amour looked absolutely awful out there. I think he has one more year on his contract; would trading him be so bad for our team? And is he really worth anything now? Or do you think this is his last year? I hate to say this, but I think Brind'amour just isn't helping this team right now. I think we may resign Cole, but if he doesn't step it up I can see him being traded at the deadline. Wouldn't it be funny if we traded Cole to somehow get Williams back? I think we may also see other players traded such as, Eaves or Ruutu.

I think that Eaves has the ability to be a player exactly like J. Wil. We'll see. I, for one, hope he stays. When you Conn Smyth goalie says the he's got the most wicked wrister on the team, I'd listen.

Rod either will get his knee 100% healed/rehab/rested and come back strong OR hopefully will decide to retire. He was playing extremely well prior to the knee injury. I find it hard to believe that on a fully healthy knee he is playing this poorly. But, sadly, if that is the case, then it's time to hang 'em up.

I think that Eaves has the ability to be a player exactly like J. Wil. We'll see. I, for one, hope he stays. When you Conn Smyth goalie says the he's got the most wicked wrister on the team, I'd listen.

Rod either will get his knee 100% healed/rehab/rested and come back strong OR hopefully will decide to retire. He was playing extremely well prior to the knee injury. I find it hard to believe that on a fully healthy knee he is playing this poorly. But, sadly, if that is the case, then it's time to hang 'em up.

If his wrister is that wicked, why doesn't he use it more??? Shoot Eaves Shoot!!

Re-signing Cole is crucial to our success next season. The Hurricanes were a non-contender until the trade deadline, then we got Cole and showed times of dominance. We should re-sign him whatever it takes. Idem to Jokinen. Samsonov can be useful.

Regardless of everything else, JR needs to do 2 things.

Re-sign Larose, because he has shown he's been phenomenal (for him) this year.

Find someone to assist Staal in the scoring department.

Crosby can score goals and assist on goals. He helps others look better than they actually are. I hate the coverage of Crosby, but he can be amazing. Same with Malkin. Both are capable of scoring, and helping others score. Whitney was that during the regular season, and all of a sudden, has been lifeless. Maybe the rumor of him being injured is true, why else has he been quiet, ya know? But either way, we need another man to assist in feeding Staal, and is capable of a 20 goal season. I know it's asking for a lot, but why not...