The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

You never know til after playoffs are done for a team just who is playing hurt. If Roddy can't come back and compete on anything but the 4th line I believe he will bow out gracefully. He is too much of a competitor to just hang on. It seems like Eaves is getting better all the time. I can't see giving Cole a long term deal for alot of money. I hope we keep Ruutu, LaRose, and I think Walker brings the grit that we need more of. I think we need more size up front and obviously we need some changes on the D.

Re-signing Cole is crucial to our success next season. The Hurricanes were a non-contender until the trade deadline, then we got Cole and showed times of dominance. We should re-sign him whatever it takes. Idem to Jokinen. Samsonov can be useful.
Didn't we miss the playoffs the last two seasons with Cole here? He's also scored a whopping 2 goals in 34 games with the Hurricanes this season. Signing him at "whatever it takes" would severely limit our options to re-sign other players + improve in other areas.

As far as defensive defensemen in our price range go, I really like the idea of Greg Zanon. Not the biggest guy at 6'0", but very physical and blocks a lot of shots. If he could be had for around $2-$2.5M, that's something I'd like JR to look into.

One proposal being thrown around at another board is Ruutu+pick to the Senators for Anton Volchenkov. What do people here think of that trade?

One proposal being thrown around at another board is Ruutu+pick to the Senators for Anton Volchenkov. What do people here think of that trade?

I may be COMPLETELY biased, but why? Volchenkov is nice and Ruutu's two brothers are in the Ottawa organization, but this guy rocks. He put up 50 points when he wasn't expected to. He goes out and plays EVERY shift. He may have awful balance, but he is only twenty-five years old! He hasn't even reached the peak of his abilities. Does anyone remember his five-point night in Tampa? Sure, it's easy to overlook that because Staal had four goals and two assists, but Ruutu had FIVE POINTS! He's hung in there as a winger with Eric Staal (and if we had a better winger, it would add to our depth to have a 50-point guy on a second or third line) practically this whole entire season. Let's also remember that the Finns stick together like glue. The more Finns, the better. Guys like Jussi and Joni would play to their capabilities with Tuomo on the team. They feel more comfortable. Sure, maybe he hasn't produced in the playoffs, but last time I checked, he played GREAT in the regular season and it takes 82 games to even get to the playoffs. Let's also remember that now he's got playoff experience. He's handy in the shoot-outs, he's a fan favorite (always stops for autographs and always smiles), oh, and after all of this, let's not forget that he led the team in hits and was 10th in the league after the season. He ALWAYS goes out there and tries and he hits everything in sight. Why not keep Ruu? I don't see anything negative about him except for the fact that he's injury-prone, hasn't produced in the playoffs (it's his first playoff experience, mind you all), and that he's also prone to taking quite stupid penalties.

From what I'd understand, the Senators would be more interested in Cole than they would in Ruutu. Although Cole's lackluster performance this year may have quelled that want.

Have to agree. Ruutu brings jam that most of other players cant so why we would want to get rid of someone who's been discarded from Chi and found a happy home here. SOmetimes it s about having a player who WANTS to be here rather than trying to woo someone here who may not be interested.

Ruutu has said in multiple interviews that he is happy here, has found a home, likes the organiztion and is really comfortably playong with his buddies. The guy has produced and added the x factor this team has been missing for hyers.

I may be COMPLETELY biased, but why? Volchenkov is nice and Ruutu's two brothers are in the Ottawa organization, but this guy rocks. He put up 50 points when he wasn't expected to. He goes out and plays EVERY shift. He may have awful balance, but he is only twenty-five years old! He hasn't even reached the peak of his abilities. Does anyone remember his five-point night in Tampa? Sure, it's easy to overlook that because Staal had four goals and two assists, but Ruutu had FIVE POINTS! He's hung in there as a winger with Eric Staal (and if we had a better winger, it would add to our depth to have a 50-point guy on a second or third line) practically this whole entire season. Let's also remember that the Finns stick together like glue. The more Finns, the better. Guys like Jussi and Joni would play to their capabilities with Tuomo on the team. They feel more comfortable. Sure, maybe he hasn't produced in the playoffs, but last time I checked, he played GREAT in the regular season and it takes 82 games to even get to the playoffs. Let's also remember that now he's got playoff experience. He's handy in the shoot-outs, he's a fan favorite (always stops for autographs and always smiles), oh, and after all of this, let's not forget that he led the team in hits and was 10th in the league after the season. He ALWAYS goes out there and tries and he hits everything in sight. Why not keep Ruu? I don't see anything negative about him except for the fact that he's injury-prone, hasn't produced in the playoffs (it's his first playoff experience, mind you all), and that he's also prone to taking quite stupid penalties.
I'm a big Ruutu fan as well and want him to stay, but at the same time I think there's a need to add a physical, top-pairing defensive defenseman like Volchenkov to the team.

The other idea being tossed around is Corvo for Kobasew. That way we wouldn't lose that much offense in swapping Ruutu for Volchenkov, while we would still have Pitkanen/Babchuk/Seidenberg (if Seids returns) as offensive defensemen to make up for the loss of Corvo.

I think that Eaves has the ability to be a player exactly like J. Wil. We'll see. I, for one, hope he stays. When you Conn Smyth goalie says the he's got the most wicked wrister on the team, I'd listen.

Rod either will get his knee 100% healed/rehab/rested and come back strong OR hopefully will decide to retire. He was playing extremely well prior to the knee injury. I find it hard to believe that on a fully healthy knee he is playing this poorly. But, sadly, if that is the case, then it's time to hang 'em up.

True as you may say, but Rod has more age on him now and despite the ability to get his knee back 100%, he has lost his quickness and ability to drive his line, regardless of which one it is, to score.

I'm a big Ruutu fan as well and want him to stay, but at the same time I think there's a need to add a physical, top-pairing defensive defenseman like Volchenkov to the team.

The other idea being tossed around is Corvo for Kobasew. That way we wouldn't lose that much offense in swapping Ruutu for Volchenkov, while we would still have Pitkanen/Babchuk/Seidenberg (if Seids returns) as offensive defensemen to make up for the loss of Corvo.

I personally don't like the idea of trading Corvo. He has been way too good for us this season. And we just got him not long ago - I feel like he is just going to keep improving.

This sounds like HF board trade proposal fodder :rolleyes:

I doubt The B's are getting rid of Kobasew.

I don't see us moving Corvo either, and I don't want to see him moved. He's improved a lot defensively since he arrived here and I don't think we've seen his ceiling yet. He's a good fit with Gleason IMO. But, we do need another shutdown man, since Gleason is our one and only who is consistent and rarely makes boneheaded plays.

Ruutu must stay IMO. He is what Cole should be.

Cole I'd be ok with signing if he takes a major home discount. He was a total non factor this postseason.

On the other hand, LaRose showed up huge in the postseason. You cannot say enough about this guy, he is priority number 1, period. He has earned every penny he will be paid next year and his paychecks better be cut by us.

Jokinen was spectacular but I don't want JR to go overboard on his pay to resign because of a few brilliant, season-saving goals. I know he has been different since getting to Carolina and he deserves a little bit of a raise considering how much more money he single-handedly brought to the team with his heroics :lol: but his regular season numbers have to be considered, 2.2/year I think would be fair.

I want to see Seidenberg/Babchuk stay, but I don't see any major raises coming their way, at least not for Babs. Babs disappeared (ran away mentally?) during the playoffs but he looked very good during the regular season. I'm going to write off his post season performance as major first time jitters.

You have to remember with Jokinen, one of the reasons JR acquired him was because of his versatility. He can play center or wing which is good if you have injuries and need to move the line up around (since our team typically has lots of injuries this is desirable). He is also great in the shoot out. We typically are not good in that department and with every point counting this guy can single handedly win us games. He did that twice this season if I remember correctly. That goes a long way to making the playoffs since we are considered to be a bubble team every year. Not only that his game has really picked up in the playoffs... JR has his hands full this off season.

On defense I'd say we trade Babchuk and try to unload Kabs again. We can trade these two (hopefully) and actually get something in return since one is an RFA and the other still has a year on his contract. With a UFA on the other hand it would be more difficult to do so. We have a couple guys playing for the Rats that will be brought up. Carson is a 6 foot 4 inch d-man who can skate (he won the fastest lap in the CHL skills competition several years ago). Hockeysfuture.com notes his "strong puck moving ability and physical play." The analogy could perhaps be made that he is a cheaper version of Seidenberg.

Cole will stay but only if he takes a big discount, which he will.

I hate to say it but Brindy should retire. I know he has said he still wants to play next year but his game has been declining steadily since winning the cup. I know he is injured but I just cant see him picking up his game that much.

Bayda will not be resigned unless he accepts a minor league role.

Lets not forget that Conboy is on a one way next season.... the more I think about it the more of a log-jam there is here. Not sure what JR is gonna do. But personally, I would love to see a team with Conboy, Ruutu, Cole, Gleason, and Walker (and Eaves to an extent) just for the fact that we might finally have the appearance of a team with some hitting power. Doubtful it will happen though.

Possible line up next season:

Whitney-Staal-Ruutu ($3.5, 6, 3)

Larose-Cullen-Cole (2, 2.8, 3)

Walker-Jokinen-Samsonov (2.5, 2.2, 2.5)

Conboy-Sutter-Eaves (0.5, 0.875, 1.4)

Gleason-Corvo (2.5, 2.75)

Pitkanen-Seidenberg (4, 2)

Wallin-Carson/Rodney (1.7, 0.5)

??? (assume 1 million)

Ward (3.5)

Leighton (0.6)

This would put our salary at around 49 million.. Our self imposed cap is around $45 million right?

Cole is at the bottom of the list of FA signings for next year. Based upon his play, I don't think he deserves a roster spot. He is not a top line winger anymore. Look to sign Larose, Jussi, Ruutu. Hopefully Brindy passes the C to Staal and gracefully retires and Walker retires.

I definitely agree that LaRose is our number 1 priority, he needs to stay no matter what. I can't remember what analyst said this but it was something like "Certain guys are just meant to play for a certain team... and Erik Cole is meant to play for the Carolina Hurricanes." I see him resigning for less considering he hasn't really helped out offensively other than getting others going late in the season. Plus he just experimented with leaving us this year and I guess he didnt hate it, but I'm sure he's glad to be home.

Ruutu and Seids are next on the list for me, try to keep both if you can but if I had to choose it would be Ruutu because he can score and is one of our toughest forwards. I could see us trading Babchuk along with Kaberle for a decent pick this year, probably mid 2nd early 3rd round. I wouldnt be too concerned with losing Babs because we have a lot of guys in the farm with good offensive talent who probably aren't as much as a defensive liability plus they are younger and will be cheaper.

EDIT: Forgot Jussi... He really needs to be resigned, his versatility is very useful and if he can play like he has more consistently he could be big for us next year.

you left off kaberle at 2.2 and our self imposed cap is 51 i think. also left off brindy at 3.0 with a cap hit of 3.6

I'd hope that with this playoff run and the extra millions brought in in ticket sales, that our self-imposed cap will be higher next year.

No I assumed Kabs would be traded/bought out and Brindy would retire.

Kabs won't be traded unless he waives his no trade clause. And he hasn't yet, that I can ascertain. Kabs has played okay. Not 2.2mil okay, but 1.1 mil okay.

Kabs won't be traded unless he waives his no trade clause. And he hasn't yet, that I can ascertain. Kabs has played okay. Not 2.2mil okay, but 1.1 mil okay.

It' s Wallin with the NTC, not Kaberle. Kabs has been a "no takers clause". JR put him on waivers a couple of times this season.

It' s Wallin with the NTC, not Kaberle. Kabs has been a "no takers clause". JR put him on waivers a couple of times this season.

It was my understanding they both had NTC's? No?

Dave is correct and it is Wallin with the ntc. And until JR brings in another big stay-at-home defenseman, I dont want to see him going anywhere.

I thought only the W's had NTC's-Whitney, Wallin and Walker. I definitely could be wrong on that one.

Nope, you're correct. Staal's kicks in when he becomes UFA-eligible (likely after next year). The difficulty in moving Kabs was $2.2 mil per year through next year.

Nice analysis CA, but I see 2 problems: 1. Kabs bought out (most likely) vs. Kabs traded is a cap difference of $1.1 mil, and 2. the odds of Brindy retiring are slim, and even if he does retire we still have the cap hit. When you insert Brindy in the lineup you suggested, it gets complicated. Not quite ready to give it more analysis than that. :)

Nope, you're correct. Staal's kicks in when he becomes UFA-eligible (likely after next year). The difficulty in moving Kabs was $2.2 mil per year through next year.

Nice analysis CA, but I see 2 problems: 1. Kabs bought out (most likely) vs. Kabs traded is a cap difference of $1.1 mil, and 2. the odds of Brindy retiring are slim, and even if he does retire we still have the cap hit. When you insert Brindy in the lineup you suggested, it gets complicated. Not quite ready to give it more analysis than that. :)

Yeah I knew Staal was going to have one, but I didn't know exactly when it began.

As much as I like LaRose, especially after this season, I don't foresee him back in a Hurricanes jersey next season. With the way he played this season and the stats he put up, he is likely to be making close to two million next year. We need to sign Ruutu and/or Cole, so we are going to need the most money possible. LaRose is going to be a hard player to watch leave, but we have essentially the same player in the minors right now.... his name is Zach Boychuk. Same size, same (if not better) scoring ability, same (if not better) hitting ability, for half the price.

As far as Patrick Eaves goes.... give this guy a break for once. He plays on the fourth line most nights with grinders, he isn't going to go out there and score 10, 20, 30 goals. Give this guy the chance with better line mates and you will have yourself a great secondary scorer and penalty killer. He is not being used correctly by the Hurricanes and its killing his play and stats. He is pretty much in the same spot as Jokinen was in Tampa Bay.... either change his role on the team or trade him for his benefit.