The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

As much as I like LaRose, especially after this season, I don't foresee him back in a Hurricanes jersey next season. With the way he played this season and the stats he put up, he is likely to be making close to two million next year. We need to sign Ruutu and/or Cole, so we are going to need the most money possible. LaRose is going to be a hard player to watch leave, but we have essentially the same player in the minors right now.... his name is Zach Boychuk. Same size, same (if not better) scoring ability, same (if not better) hitting ability, for half the price.

As far as Patrick Eaves goes.... give this guy a break for once. He plays on the fourth line most nights with grinders, he isn't going to go out there and score 10, 20, 30 goals. Give this guy the chance with better line mates and you will have yourself a great secondary scorer and penalty killer. He is not being used correctly by the Hurricanes and its killing his play and stats. He is pretty much in the same spot as Jokinen was in Tampa Bay.... either change his role on the team or trade him for his benefit.

Yea I think we all hoped Eaves was going to do better than he has. He has had flashes of brilliance... but he has played on every line (started off the season with Staal I think) and just hasnt performed. Hoping he gets a little more jump next season.

Nope, you're correct. Staal's kicks in when he becomes UFA-eligible (likely after next year). The difficulty in moving Kabs was $2.2 mil per year through next year.

Nice analysis CA, but I see 2 problems: 1. Kabs bought out (most likely) vs. Kabs traded is a cap difference of $1.1 mil, and 2. the odds of Brindy retiring are slim, and even if he does retire we still have the cap hit. When you insert Brindy in the lineup you suggested, it gets complicated. Not quite ready to give it more analysis than that. :)

If Brindy stays we could always trade Eaves and keep Jussi on wing (switch him to center as needed for injury). Not saying we should trade Eaves.... I'd like to see at least another half season out of him before we make that leap.

As much as I like LaRose, especially after this season, I don't foresee him back in a Hurricanes jersey next season. With the way he played this season and the stats he put up, he is likely to be making close to two million next year. We need to sign Ruutu and/or Cole, so we are going to need the most money possible. LaRose is going to be a hard player to watch leave, but we have essentially the same player in the minors right now.... his name is Zach Boychuk. Same size, same (if not better) scoring ability, same (if not better) hitting ability, for half the price.

Boychuk's definitely got the scoring ability advantage over LaRose, but he's nowhere near as physical as LaRose is. Not sure where you're getting that info from. He's gritty, but LaRose will flat out hit anyone. LaRose would be your typical energy player/pest. Aggressive, annoying, with a chance to pop in an occasional goal. Boychuk's more of a Briere-type player. Fast, good vision, and the ability to make plays.

Now whether we should have one or the other isn't a fair comparison, since they have different roles on the team.

As far as Patrick Eaves goes.... give this guy a break for once. He plays on the fourth line most nights with grinders, he isn't going to go out there and score 10, 20, 30 goals. Give this guy the chance with better line mates and you will have yourself a great secondary scorer and penalty killer. He is not being used correctly by the Hurricanes and its killing his play and stats. He is pretty much in the same spot as Jokinen was in Tampa Bay.... either change his role on the team or trade him for his benefit.

Eaves had his chance. He played in the Top 6 early in the season, especially when Williams was out for one injury or another. He played himself down to the 4th line. He's got noone to blame but himself.

Boychuk's definitely got the scoring ability advantage over LaRose, but he's nowhere near as physical as LaRose is. Not sure where you're getting that info from. He's gritty, but LaRose will flat out hit anyone. LaRose would be your typical energy player/pest. Aggressive, annoying, with a chance to pop in an occasional goal. Boychuk's more of a Briere-type player. Fast, good vision, and the ability to make plays.

Now whether we should have one or the other isn't a fair comparison, since they have different roles on the team.

I just remember reading (I believe it was a TSN player analysis) talking about Boychuk's physical play. I could be way off on that one, but I remember reading that for some reason. And wasn't he the one that laid out some guy back in the 07 WJC in an awesome open ice hit?

No I assumed Kabs would be traded/bought out and Brindy would retire.

kabs wont be traded unless we package him with something sweet. like tverdosky and JJ package, kind of thing.

Brindy's retirement still leaves 3.6 cap hit for 2 years.

No I assumed Kabs would be traded/bought out and Brindy would retire.

Kaberle being bought out is, I think, a good assumption. He has already cleared waivers. He only has one more year left on his contract. He barely gets ice time. Hurricanes save 1.1 million. It is almost a no-brainer.

Brindamour retiring, I would say, is less of a sure thing.

Kaberle being bought out is, I think, a good assumption. He has already cleared waivers. He only has one more year left on his contract. He barely gets ice time. Hurricanes save 1.1 million. It is almost a no-brainer.

The team doesn't save 1.1 million, they save about 0.73 million (the buyout is 2/3rds of the value of the deal). I'm not the biggest fan of Kabs myself but I'm not so sure the savings is worth it for next year. Yeah he isn't great but is the team really going to find a suitable replacement for 0.73 million or less? I guess you could use one of the guys from the minors but as we've seen with Babchuk there is no guarantee that they won't disappear in the playoffs. And at least the positive of Kaberle is you know what you are getting. Personally I would probably rather see him for one more year and then just let him walk.

I just remember reading (I believe it was a TSN player analysis) talking about Boychuk's physical play. I could be way off on that one, but I remember reading that for some reason. And wasn't he the one that laid out some guy back in the 07 WJC in an awesome open ice hit?

I think you're thinking of Sutter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7WTtWHOmf4' target="_blank">Video[/post].

Just throwing something else out here into the discussion: will JR try to sign Ward to an extension, like Staal this past summer, seeing as his contract is up after next year?

I would probably guess so. I mean, Ward was one of the main reasons we got as far as we did. Staal stepped up, then disappeared, and Ward helped us beat Boston. He made some great saves. He's only early 20's, no? He's got another 5 years left in him until he's thrown under the bus and is forced to retire or something :rolleyes:

Don't overlook the fact that Kabs has a contract that is expiring after this year. I can see a team with a player locked up for 2 or 3 years that they would like to move and would take Kabs. Kabs contract isn't that high compared to other d-men in the league. It would mean taking somebody else's maybe not so great deal, but it's better than wasting the money on a buyout or sitting in the presser.

I would probably guess so. I mean, Ward was one of the main reasons we got as far as we did. Staal stepped up, then disappeared, and Ward helped us beat Boston. He made some great saves. He's only early 20's, no? He's got another 5 years left in him until he's thrown under the bus and is forced to retire or something :rolleyes:

I would hope that they resign him long term and think that they will; JR has said multiple times that Staal and Ward are our "franchise players".

IMO it is more important to keep LaRose than Cole.

I'd throw Jussi in there as well. I like Cole, but until he can prove that he can be a scoring winger again and not just someone who fits the mold more of a 3rd line checker then I'm not sure I want to spend 3 million or more on him. I'd also like to see Babchuck back as a 7th defenseman, but not one of our top 6. What contracts do we have expiring though? I know Walker, Kaberle, Wallin, Cole and a few others have contracts that are at their end or nearing their end, but I'm not 100% on most of them.

As off topic as it is (it isn't an official rumor), the UFA's and RFA's for this summer including the guys from the AHL who played a few games are

UFA:

LaRose

Cole

Bayda

Michael Ryan

Dwight Helminen

Dwyer

Seidenberg

RFA:

Ruutu

Jokinen

Babchuk

Rodney

Carson

Borer

Man I thought that Wallin's contract was up. I know Kabs still has one more year on it, but there has to be some discussion to try and dump his salary. I've got nothing against The Secret Weapon, but right now I want us to spend some money on a top line defensive minded defenseman to address one of our biggest needs.

I hope LaRose is resigned for a 2 year deal, let's see how he responds next year. Cole can go, I'm sorry. Not a hater, but just haven't really... connected with him or anything.

Jussi I'd be weary of. He's helped us out in the PO's, but I hope he isn't the type of player to disappear after a good playoff run.

Not really sure what to do right now. Hopefully we'll know more after the Cup finals, to see who's broken what.

I think they'll keep the rights to all of the RFA's just by qualifying them so that's not a problem. And JR will likely

offer more 2-way deals to Dwyer, Helminen, and Ryan as the Albany Taxi Squad. Here's my take on the others:

If you look at the guys at Albany and those in the system as replacement parts you've got Carson and Borer

spending another year at Albany, after which they (hopefully) replace Wallin and Kaberle. Bowman and Boychuk

replace Whitney and Cullen. Sutter makes the 'Canes roster next year, as does Rodney, then they replace Corvo

and Brind'Amour. Plus, McBain could be ready by then to add to the competition.

If you give 2-year contracts to Babchuk, Seidenberg, Jokinen and Ruutu with 500K increases per year ... and

a $1m bump to LaRose ... that's the $3m that would've been allotted for Cole to stay at a hometown discount.

That seems like fair market value. LaRose would more than double his salary as a reward for a solid year.

But the problem, or the confusion is this: JR has already said that a roster spot on the blueline is Rodney's to

lose (most likely as the #7 guy). I don't see management letting Seidenberg leave for nothing when he's been

getting 1st-pairing minutes in the playoffs, is a fairly complete d-man, and is relatively inexpensive to keep.

So someone may be traded. Maybe Corvo. With Pitkanen and Babchuk you have a couple of good offensive

guys for the power play points. Gleason and Seidenberg as the shutdown pairing. Wallin and Kaberle at #3,

with Rodney filling in as needed. Carson and Borer, as I mentioned, go to Albany if they can't beat out Rodney.

Where do the 'Canes need to improve? A top shutdown d-man would be great, but that would best be achieved

in free agency, if possible. At forward, they could stand to be a little more creative offensively, a little bit more

dangerous scoring-wise, a little younger, a little bigger, a bit faster and defensively responsible (judging from

the playoffs). You've got a couple of good looking kids in Boychuk and Bowman, but you don't want to rush

them -- so you give them a year in Albany to prepare for the speed, physicality and the grind of pro hockey.

There's been a lot of speculation that Staal needs an elite linemate. I was reading TSN's Off-Season Gameplan

for the Minnesota Wild. Pierre-Marc Bouchard may be available. Here's his career stats:

http://wild.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470153&service=page&tab=crs' target="_blank">http://wild.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDe...age&tab=crs[/post]

He has plenty of experience at right wing (the off-wing) and is an excellent set-up guy that should be able to hit

20-25 goals and 55-60 assists with the 'Canes. He's small and plays very soft, but with Ruutu at LW and Staal

that shouldn't be an issue. He could be an under-the-radar 1st-liner with the creativity (even strength and PP)

of a young Ray Whitney. Next summer the contracts expire for Whitney, Walker and Cullen, among others and

the AHL graduates have to be ready to step into the lineup because of the potential cap ceiling falling in '10-'11.

Offensive defensemen (especially right-handed ones) are in high demand supposedly this off-season. New Wild

GM Chuck Fletcher will likely bring the 'Penguins-style' system that puts a premium on transition from the blueline.

That's the reason I'm using a Corvo-for-Bouchard scenario as an example. There are probably better alternatives.

Then, there's always money ... Cam Ward will be eligible for an extension beginning 7-1-09. Of course, Cullen and

Corvo also are eligible for an extension in July ... but there's only so much money to go around - and Ward is #1.

Bouchard can play #2 center, except that doesn't help Staal get a premiere playmaking linemate. That may mean

Corvo could be the odd man out. Or not, because he's coming off of his best season in the last 3 years.

So do you dangle Joe for a legitimate 1st line winger? Or keep him? Could you get more? What do you guys think?

Scoring-wise, a guy like Bouchard would more than replace Cole. It could be the missing link.

Sorry for the length of this post.

I sure would dangle Joe for a 1st line winger, especially Bouchard. He's still young with loads of potential. If you notice his stats are better when Gaborik plays and when he doesn't play, his stats suffer. So if he plays with Staal, who rarely if ever misses a game, he should have the stats he was expected to have. As for Corvo, it would hurt us to trade him but if you look at it assuming we resign Babs we have a rocket from the point with him and have a quick d-man in Pitkanen. So it really wouldn't be as bad as it looks but I would prefer us to trade #77 for a 1st line winger. If not, keep him.

I think they'll keep the rights to all of the RFA's just by qualifying them so that's not a problem. And JR will likely

offer more 2-way deals to Dwyer, Helminen, and Ryan as the Albany Taxi Squad. Here's my take on the others:

If you look at the guys at Albany and those in the system as replacement parts you've got Carson and Borer

spending another year at Albany, after which they (hopefully) replace Wallin and Kaberle. Bowman and Boychuk

replace Whitney and Cullen. Sutter makes the 'Canes roster next year, as does Rodney, then they replace Corvo

and Brind'Amour. Plus, McBain could be ready by then to add to the competition.

If you give 2-year contracts to Babchuk, Seidenberg, Jokinen and Ruutu with 500K increases per year ... and

a $1m bump to LaRose ... that's the $3m that would've been allotted for Cole to stay at a hometown discount.

That seems like fair market value. LaRose would more than double his salary as a reward for a solid year.

But the problem, or the confusion is this: JR has already said that a roster spot on the blueline is Rodney's to

lose (most likely as the #7 guy). I don't see management letting Seidenberg leave for nothing when he's been

getting 1st-pairing minutes in the playoffs, is a fairly complete d-man, and is relatively inexpensive to keep.

So someone may be traded. Maybe Corvo. With Pitkanen and Babchuk you have a couple of good offensive

guys for the power play points. Gleason and Seidenberg as the shutdown pairing. Wallin and Kaberle at #3,

with Rodney filling in as needed. Carson and Borer, as I mentioned, go to Albany if they can't beat out Rodney.

Where do the 'Canes need to improve? A top shutdown d-man would be great, but that would best be achieved

in free agency, if possible. At forward, they could stand to be a little more creative offensively, a little bit more

dangerous scoring-wise, a little younger, a little bigger, a bit faster and defensively responsible (judging from

the playoffs). You've got a couple of good looking kids in Boychuk and Bowman, but you don't want to rush

them -- so you give them a year in Albany to prepare for the speed, physicality and the grind of pro hockey.

There's been a lot of speculation that Staal needs an elite linemate. I was reading TSN's Off-Season Gameplan

for the Minnesota Wild. Pierre-Marc Bouchard may be available. Here's his career stats:

http://wild.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470153&service=page&tab=crs' target="_blank">http://wild.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDe...age&tab=crs[/post]

He has plenty of experience at right wing (the off-wing) and is an excellent set-up guy that should be able to hit

20-25 goals and 55-60 assists with the 'Canes. He's small and plays very soft, but with Ruutu at LW and Staal

that shouldn't be an issue. He could be an under-the-radar 1st-liner with the creativity (even strength and PP)

of a young Ray Whitney. Next summer the contracts expire for Whitney, Walker and Cullen, among others and

the AHL graduates have to be ready to step into the lineup because of the potential cap ceiling falling in '10-'11.

Offensive defensemen (especially right-handed ones) are in high demand supposedly this off-season. New Wild

GM Chuck Fletcher will likely bring the 'Penguins-style' system that puts a premium on transition from the blueline.

That's the reason I'm using a Corvo-for-Bouchard scenario as an example. There are probably better alternatives.

Then, there's always money ... Cam Ward will be eligible for an extension beginning 7-1-09. Of course, Cullen and

Corvo also are eligible for an extension in July ... but there's only so much money to go around - and Ward is #1.

Bouchard can play #2 center, except that doesn't help Staal get a premiere playmaking linemate. That may mean

Corvo could be the odd man out. Or not, because he's coming off of his best season in the last 3 years.

So do you dangle Joe for a legitimate 1st line winger? Or keep him? Could you get more? What do you guys think?

Scoring-wise, a guy like Bouchard would more than replace Cole. It could be the missing link.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Good post, but I'm not sure if you counted that Staal's cap hit goes from 4.5 to 8.25 starting next season.

Looks like the Steelers traded Cowher to us for future considerations.

:P

Lets try this again...

If you've read or heard any rumors or rumblings involving the Canes from a source you can actually name, post it here.

Here's a list of possible trade rumor sources many check for updates. If you know of different sites, feel free to post them for others too.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/[/post]

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...4&Itemid=55

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nhl/nhl-rumors.html

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

XM204 Home Ice

I'd throw Jussi in there as well. I like Cole, but until he can prove that he can be a scoring winger again and not just someone who fits the mold more of a 3rd line checker then I'm not sure I want to spend 3 million or more on him. I'd also like to see Babchuck back as a 7th defenseman, but not one of our top 6. What contracts do we have expiring though? I know Walker, Kaberle, Wallin, Cole and a few others have contracts that are at their end or nearing their end, but I'm not 100% on most of them.

Id keep Jussi because he will come with a huge discount. Larose is a goner as he will sign for the money and he deserves it he just won't get it here. I see detroit in his future because A) hes from there and B) they will pay 2.5 for a third liner who can kill penaltys. Cole should sign with the first team that offers him 2 mil+ a season, JR TAKE NOTE! Do not sign Cole for more than 2 mil a season. I see Cole with the Habs or Toronto, Habs cause he kills there and both teams because they overpay for guys whoes best years are behind them

Id keep Jussi because he will come with a huge discount. Larose is a goner as he will sign for the money and he deserves it he just won't get it here. I see detroit in his future because A) hes from there and B) they will pay 2.5 for a third liner who can kill penaltys. Cole should sign with the first team that offers him 2 mil+ a season, JR TAKE NOTE! Do not sign Cole for more than 2 mil a season. I see Cole with the Habs or Toronto, Habs cause he kills there and both teams because they overpay for guys whoes best years are behind them

LaRose was cut twice by Detroit when he tried to make their roster, he won't sign there.

Resign Larose, and let's see where we go with Bayda, Seids, Jussi, Cole, and whoever else.

Would you rather give Boychuk and Sutter, and some other younger/AHL players a chance, not resign some of our current UFA's, and go after a top notch player...

Or, resign the rest of our UFA's and make minor signings?