The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Official Canes trade rumor thread

I say we definitely resign Jussi, LaRose and Rutuu. Then everyone else is iffy. Cole coming back at 2 million is fair considering he really hasn't done anything since '06, but I see him taking an offer closer to 3 million from someone else around the league.

I'm a bit hesitant to trade Corvo because right now I say the best men on our D next year are him, Pitkanen, Gleason. I would definitely resign Seids if we can get rid of Wallin or Kabs, but I want a top line defensive defenseman for our biggest need right now. Gleason is great, Seids is very servicable, but I would rather try for a big name guy in FA and then sign Babs as the 7th guy or promote someone from the group of Rodney, Carson or Borer. We have a lot of potential options, but I say we become a top 5 team in this league easily with the addition of a very good defenseman on our roster.

I think the big wild card here would be Brind'amour. He is a defensive and offensive liability on the ice right now and is one of the highest paid players on the team with years left on his deal. His retirement, as much as that would sadden me, would open up a LOT of cash to play around with for next year. We don't have a shut down defensive Center to center a defensive line that can score like we had with Brindy and Williams in '06 and that is one thing we need right now. I think we can address that with Sutter, but he cannot come in and dominate right away.

I would rather go after a high scoring winger in FA with some of Cole's money rather than simply promote Boychuk or Bowman at this point because they're unproven right now. With one high scoring winger to free up Staal that would allow for everyone else's numbers to increase as well and greatly improve our offense, making us a legit Cup contender next year. I'd rather not resign someone like Bayda or find Eaves a new home and insert one of our promising minor leaguers on the 3rd or 4th line to see if they can adjust to the NHL level first of all.

Just as long as we keep Samsonov, I'm happy. I think this guy has a lot he can offer to this organization. Larose, Ruutu, and Jussi should stay, but I'm not so sure about Cole. And I think its time for Brindy to bow out gracefuly.. He has been amazing, but its his time. Would the organization consider trading brindy if he still wants to play? Because I'm sure we could work out some kind of Brind'amour+whoever else trade for a really good shut down defensive guy like Gleason. We also really need someone to help out Staal -> a great winger we might be able to pick up as a FA... I guess we will see..

GO CANES!!

Ruutu, LaRose, Jokinen, and Seidenberg are the four guys I would re-sign no question. Jokinen maybe to a shorter-term deal, the rest of the guys multi-year.

It's time for Brind'Amour to retire, I think. He's set to make 6 million over the next two years...I want to see him retire as a 'Cane. I wouldn't be unhappy with us restructuring his contract. But paying him the same amount is not really sustainable.

I think we should also bring back Babchuk for a year or two...he finally started playing up to his potential this year.

Pitkanen and Cole both have trade bait written ALL over them. Cole was a total non-factor during the playoffs. I don't want to say Pitkanen was a total bust, but he's not far from it. Yes, we all like the assist on Jokinen's goal in Game 7 of the NJ series, but looking at the body of work, he's not worth nearly the amount we're paying for him and made a constant habit of doing stupid things with the puck in all three zones.

Still, we could easily get something good for BOTH of those guys, and I want to see at least Pitkanen gone by the start of next season. Cole is extremely fast and MAYBE could get one more year here, but he seriously needs to start producing like he once did - I think trading him for Pitkanen in the first place was a poor move, but hindsight is 20/20, right? If you look at his numbers before he was traded, he was a very productive player, but something seems different now.

Kaberle is over the hill as well...he has one more year left on his contract at 2.2 million. He hasn't been awful, but hasn't really impressed me, either. I don't really care if he stays or goes as long as he doesn't take away from us signing someone else who could be a boon for us.

As we always seem to be saying at the end of the season, DEFENSE needs to be our top priority this offseason. We have WAY too many offensive-minded defensemen on the team and we need to bring in some guys who can clog up the middle of the ice and just play good positional hockey. We only have two guys who fit this description - Wallin and Gleason. I think Seids has done a great job as well but I see him as more of a two-way defenseman.

Let's see if JR does anything about it, though. Maybe with Maurice as head coach, we'll put more emphasis on it.

We need a little more punch at wing, as well. Guys like Walker, Eaves, and Bayda are all good players, but a little more offensive firepower could put us over the top come next year. We probably need to go after two solid wingers and two physical defensemen to become a real Cup contender next season.

Everyone else (minor leaguers aside) has, I think, earned their spots on this team. I could pick on Eaves but he's still developing, so I won't.

Goaltending is fine. Ward is consistent and often spectacular, and Leighton has shown himself to be a solid, serviceable backup.

I think most of the pieces are there for this team to get back to the Finals. We're just missing a few cogs. If our defense can get just incrementally better and we get one, maybe two more guys with a scoring touch, I think we're on our way. We have to get bigger and more strategically sound on defense, though, that's priority one.

I could pick on Eaves but he's still developing, so I won't.
I will. I like him but he's had adequate time to prove himself here but he hasn't. He got a good amount of top 6 time early in the season and basically had nothing to show for it. I think we should move him because he just hasn't fit in here, for whatever reason.

Looking at some numbers...Ruslan Fedotenko and Maxim Afinogenov are going to be free agents this offseason...just saying. We might be able to bring them both in for about 7 mil total.

And I misspoke about Cole being trade bait, as he's a UFA now. His contract with Edmonton was 4 mil a year, so we should just let him go unless he's not getting high offers from other teams, we could use that money to go after one of the aforementioned wingers.

Cole- i actually think he still has some use. I don't think it's a coincidence when he comes back, Hurricanes get better. I don't think it's fair to judge him based on this run. His main problem is consistency. I think he could be had for cheap. I don't think there's going to be a team that'll overpay to make him leave.

Jokinen- keep him. Not because of his 3 crucial goals in the playoffs. He plays multiple positions. He's great in shootouts. He has the potential be a 15-25g, 30-40pt player.

Ruutu/LaRose- enough said.

Seidenberg- JR, please resign this guy. He does everything when he's out there. He could be had for cheap.

Babchuck- sign and trade. I know he had 16 goals, but that's still not enough to keep him. He's the biggest defensive liability of any player. Offense-wise, i think he's still a liability. His +/- numbers are only good because of the pp. I say trade him west and see what they get.

As far as trade bait, i think the only person i think we could get good value for is Corvo. If Carolina can trade him and throw Babchuck with him, i think they could get a really really good player. The key to the offseason more than defense is firepower and quality size. If they're series about some of these prospects, i say get another scoring forward, and a high quality 2nd center, and give the prospect some 4th line time.

Cole- i actually think he still has some use. I don't think it's a coincidence when he comes back, Hurricanes get better. I don't think it's fair to judge him based on this run. His main problem is consistency. I think he could be had for cheap. I don't think there's going to be a team that'll overpay to make him leave.

Jokinen- keep him. Not because of his 3 crucial goals in the playoffs. He plays multiple positions. He's great in shootouts. He has the potential be a 15-25g, 30-40pt player.

Ruutu/LaRose- enough said.

Seidenberg- JR, please resign this guy. He does everything when he's out there. He could be had for cheap.

Babchuck- sign and trade. I know he had 16 goals, but that's still not enough to keep him. He's the biggest defensive liability of any player. Offense-wise, i think he's still a liability. His +/- numbers are only good because of the pp. I say trade him west and see what they get.

As far as trade bait, i think the only person i think we could get good value for is Corvo. If Carolina can trade him and throw Babchuck with him, i think they could get a really really good player. The key to the offseason more than defense is firepower and quality size. If they're series about some of these prospects, i say get another scoring forward, and a high quality 2nd center, and give the prospect some 4th line time.

plus/minus is only for even strength. babs has good value as does corvo but i dont know if we can afford to move both. who would play the point next year other than pitkanen.

There is a reason why pitkanen lead the team in TOI, and its not for being terrible or making bad moves with the puck.

i dont think seidenberg will be all that cheap either, he had good point production and ate alot of mins. with pp and pk ability

Since this thread has morphed into "What would I do as GM", I'll join in.

1. GET STAAL A TOP FLIGHT WINGER. Staal is a franchise player but he isn't a one man show. His potential isn't being reached because he is Batman and he is still looking for Robin. We have some nice players in the system that can contribute in a couple of years, but if I am spending what we are on Staal, I want all I can get out of him. Make a trade or sign a UFA. PK and JR, you went deep into the playoffs.....reinvest in the team.

2. Ruutu and Rosie are priority 1a and 1b to resign of the current crop of UFA's. Ruutu is one of the few physical players on the team and Rosie is Rosie. If a fair deal can be had with both, they have to come back. Rosie has played his way from being an energy guy to a top 6 guy.

3. Cole, well if he can be had at a reasonable amount, say 2.5M or less, I'd say keep. If it gets much beyond that, I'd let him walk. I like Cole and he brought a lot to the team after the trade, but how much of that was emotion? It looks like the emotional high wears off and we get what we got in the playoffs. That isn't worth 4M a year.

4. Sign Jussi. He can play any forward position and can help get those points in shoot outs. RFA should be reasonable.

5. Forwards in general need to be bigger. We have cornered the market on undersized forwards. Any moves made need to take this into consideration. We have guys who bounce off of the bigger players. I think this was a major factor as we were worn down in the playoffs.

6. Defense, we need some. Nuff said. I can see resigning Seids and Babs, but that is dependant on what else happens with trades and UFA signings. Say if one of the other offensive defensemen were traded, Seids and/or Babs need to stay. We still need a shutdown guy.

7. Sign Mo to a 2 or 3 year deal. He has earned it and I like the job he has done.

Alright, to do this stuff, some trades and decisions must be made. Also keep in mind that there are some players in Albany that may need to see some ice time next season. If we look at Staal and Ward as untouchable, I'd say everyone else should be considered IF the right deal came along. We have too many offensive defensemen. We have too many 2nd and 3rd line wingers and not enough 1st liners (if any). I'd like to have a veteran backup for Cam, but that isn't in the cards with Leighton's low salary. Cam doesn't need to be pushed any more, but a backup that Mo can feel confident in playing to give Cam a break would be great. Brindy, age is undefeated (I'm glad I'm not the one to have this conversation with Mr. Brind a 'mour). I'm not sure what Walker has left in the tank after a couple of rough, injury plagued years and with his wife's health. I love Walker and his grit and would like to see him back, if he has it in him but it's his decision. Whitney still has it but at his age probably doesn't need to log the minutes he is logging.

I'm sure I've left some stuff out, but it's early and I'm still reeling from the broom.

Here is my take on what the Canes will need to do for next season:

Seidenberg(UFA)- Don't re-sign. Canes need another physical D-Man on the back line to work with Gleason.

LaRose(UFA)- Resign him. He has become a Top 6 Forward, so he should get a raise and maybe a 3-4 year deal.

Ruutu(RFA)- Resign him. His physicality and toughness is needed. Lock him up with a decent contract.

Bayda(UFA)- Resign him. Not a big expense and his grit has a positive during the playoffs.

Babchuk(RFA)- Resign him. He needs to get his confidence back. Needs to develop a physical presence.

Cole(UFA)- I am on the fence concerning him. Without his return, Staal might not have found his scoring touch that helped sparked our run to make the playoffs.

Jokinen(RFA)- He deserves a return after the performance he gave for the playoffs.

Brind'Amour(Injured)- Probably his worst season. Maybe retires, but I doubt it. A full off-season to recover maybe what he needs for a return.

What the Canes need:

Physical Defenseman- Maybe go after a Rob Scuderi(UFA-Penguins) or a Johnny Oduya(UFA-Devils) or a Steve Montador(UFA-Bruins). Both a pretty physical D-men. Jay Bouwmeester(UFA-Panthers) I think would be too expensive.

Winger to match up with Staal- Gaborik is too fragile and not a good risk. I'd rather stay with Cole than have an injury prone Gaborik. Tanguay(Canadiens) is a UFA, but might be too expensive. Daniel Sedin(Canucks) is also available. Kris Versteeg(Blackhawks) is a young RFA. Plays with a nasty side. Hossa(Wings) or Brian Gionta(Devils) are UFA, but again, too

expensive.

Here is a list of free-agents

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?t...e&type=none

I agree with the signings of LaRose, Jokinen, Ruutu and Seidenberg. If JR can get a hometown discount bring Cole back for a short term deal.

JR will do what he always does. Buy low, sell high. This is always contrary to what the fans think he should do, and eventually everyone goes "Wow, how does he do it every time?"

This means, guys like Cole are primed to sign. You can get them for lower than their probable value.

Larose, on the other hand may be considered too expensive for his implied value. Basically, this is all based on if JR believes he is playing at his absolute peak or not. And also depends on frankly, how smart Chad is. If he decides to chase the $ he will probably be gone. He'll likely not be able to live up to the $ and feel the pressure/pain of not living up to expectations. Hopefully he won't put JR over a barrel and realize what a great situation he has here.

That's the problem with the task. We as fans, want all our favorites to stay, but the business side says we need to sign more talent than the $ we have, so we need to find ways to sign guys for less than they are worth. That's why we get the kind of guys we get, and frankly why we succeed. The other way is the Rangers way, which is go after someone who is overachieving, overpay him, then be angry every year as your supporting cast is insufficient to fill a team to make a decent run.

Why in the world would Brind' Amour walk away from the last two years of a guaranteed 6-million dollar contract and retire? I don't see that happening. What I would like to see him do is pass the C to Staal. It's time. And speaking of retirement, it wouldn't surprise me to see Walker back also, for the same reasons as Brindy.

We need a top line winger to play with Staal or IMO we are wasting his talent. Some tough decisions will have to be made here to accomplish this. I would like to see Ruutu, Larose and Jokinen resigned. I'm not a Cole fan because I think his best years dissappeared with the neck injury. So, I would hope JR doesn't spend anything there. Time to get younger on O, so I would expect to see some prospects (Boychuk, Bowman) make the team.

On D, I too would like to see another big physical defensemen in the lineup. I'm not enamoured with any of our defensemen, so I could see anything happening there, with the exception of Gleason and Pitkanen. Seids is likely too good of a deal to part with. Corvo is likely good trade bait, but I don't see JR moving him. Babchuk....not sold on him just because he has the big slapper. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it in the playoffs.

In goal, I would rather have a veteran backup but don't really see things changing. JR needs to extend Cam now, and I see that is his first move. That will setup where we can go moving forward.

For all saying we need to bring in a top line winger (I agree) ... would anyone really be surprised to see JWilly back? Now that would be just another coup for JR, just like he got Cole back after trading him for Pitkanen - and if Cole agrees to a hometown discount, he'll likely keep them both. Justin should be fully recovered from all his injuries now (he's had a lot of time to rest up!) - this would not surprise me one bit to see him back. If not at the beginning of the season, unless he tears things up in LA, I bet before the trade deadline...

Here is my take on what the Canes will need to do for next season:

Seidenberg(UFA)- resign based on what his agent wants, modest raise then give it him else bye bye.

LaRose(UFA)- I would like to see him back but not at Cole dollars, modest raise and maybe a longer contract.

Ruutu(RFA)- Resign him.

Bayda(UFA)- Resign him.

Babchuk(RFA)- Resign him.

Cole(UFA)- Resign but only if the contract is reasonable, give him a longer contract but not more $$$.

Jokinen(RFA)- We need the juice.

Brind'Amour(Injured)- should retire or be bought out, retire would be the dignified way to go, he has slowed down to the point of being a liability.

What the Canes need:

Goaltender - I am tired of paying a backup that doesn't play (Storr/Grahame/Leighton), after the first game of the third round we should have gone to our backup but apparently the organization and coaching staff have no confidence in Leights so we play an injured goalie. this has been a big problem for the last three seasons and prior. the only good year we had was gerbs starting with ward as backup. we need a REAL tandem.

plus/minus is only for even strength. babs has good value as does corvo but i dont know if we can afford to move both. who would play the point next year other than pitkanen.

There is a reason why pitkanen lead the team in TOI, and its not for being terrible or making bad moves with the puck.

i dont think seidenberg will be all that cheap either, he had good point production and ate alot of mins. with pp and pk ability

Seidenberg isn't that bad from the point. I know he doesn't have the shot Babs has, but i think he's more productive on both sides of the ice. I mean if we could get a high quality forward for him(Babchuck), then i'm sure that forward would be more productive over an 82 game season and playoffs. Let me put it this way, i'd keep him if we can get anything for him.

Seidenberg isn't that bad from the point. I know he doesn't have the shot Babs has, but i think he's more productive on both sides of the ice. I mean if we could get a high quality forward for him(Babchuk), then i'm sure that forward would be more productive over an 82 game season and playoffs. Let me put it this way, i'd keep him if we can get anything for him.

Babs is a RFA and is not under contract for next season so the only thing we could trade is the rights to sign him and i don't think that gets the player you want.

Since this thread has morphed into "What would I do as GM", I'll join in.

1. GET STAAL A TOP FLIGHT WINGER. Staal is a franchise player but he isn't a one man show. His potential isn't being reached because he is Batman and he is still looking for Robin. We have some nice players in the system that can contribute in a couple of years, but if I am spending what we are on Staal, I want all I can get out of him. Make a trade or sign a UFA. PK and JR, you went deep into the playoffs.....reinvest in the team.

2. Ruutu and Rosie are priority 1a and 1b to resign of the current crop of UFA's. Ruutu is one of the few physical players on the team and Rosie is Rosie. If a fair deal can be had with both, they have to come back. Rosie has played his way from being an energy guy to a top 6 guy.

3. Cole, well if he can be had at a reasonable amount, say 2.5M or less, I'd say keep. If it gets much beyond that, I'd let him walk. I like Cole and he brought a lot to the team after the trade, but how much of that was emotion? It looks like the emotional high wears off and we get what we got in the playoffs. That isn't worth 4M a year.

4. Sign Jussi. He can play any forward position and can help get those points in shoot outs. RFA should be reasonable.

5. Forwards in general need to be bigger. We have cornered the market on undersized forwards. Any moves made need to take this into consideration. We have guys who bounce off of the bigger players. I think this was a major factor as we were worn down in the playoffs.

6. Defense, we need some. Nuff said. I can see resigning Seids and Babs, but that is dependant on what else happens with trades and UFA signings. Say if one of the other offensive defensemen were traded, Seids and/or Babs need to stay. We still need a shutdown guy.

7. Sign Mo to a 2 or 3 year deal. He has earned it and I like the job he has done.

Alright, to do this stuff, some trades and decisions must be made. Also keep in mind that there are some players in Albany that may need to see some ice time next season. If we look at Staal and Ward as untouchable, I'd say everyone else should be considered IF the right deal came along. We have too many offensive defensemen. We have too many 2nd and 3rd line wingers and not enough 1st liners (if any). I'd like to have a veteran backup for Cam, but that isn't in the cards with Leighton's low salary. Cam doesn't need to be pushed any more, but a backup that Mo can feel confident in playing to give Cam a break would be great. Brindy, age is undefeated (I'm glad I'm not the one to have this conversation with Mr. Brind a 'mour). I'm not sure what Walker has left in the tank after a couple of rough, injury plagued years and with his wife's health. I love Walker and his grit and would like to see him back, if he has it in him but it's his decision. Whitney still has it but at his age probably doesn't need to log the minutes he is logging.

I'm sure I've left some stuff out, but it's early and I'm still reeling from the broom.

Wow, I think you really got it right! I like what you said. I have been looking at our depth chart and salaries and as it is now, we are sitting at 42 million. The cap might be 56 and who knows what the "self-imposed" cap will be? Let's say we were to ignore that, we actually don't have much room to play with if we re-sign the guys people are talking about.

Ruutu would go for 2.75, up from 2.25

Jokinen around 2, up from 1.875

LaRose around 2, up from 0.875

Right there we are up almost 7 million putting us at 49 million. We STILL don't have a 1st line winger for Staal (WHICH IS A MUST!) and no BIG forwards. We haven't even looked at the defense .

Defense has:

Gleason, Corvo, Pitkanen, Wallin and Kaberle.

Still a couple holes to fill for sure. We have seen from the playoffs if you want to get far you need a solid defense, and the guys we have are good to get us quite far, but we do need better.

Oh, and the 49 million does not include resigning some of our cheaper help such as Dwyer, Helminen, Ryan, Rodney, Carson, Borer and Bowman.

So, we have too many 3-4 line centers (see Jokinen, Cullen, Brind'Amour and Sutter)

No 1st line winger for Staal

Not much size on forward

Missing a couple defensemen

How do we spend our little wiggle room? What is the most important holes to fill based on what we saw in the playoffs? Not an easy task for JR.

ahl guys dont count against cap. bowman signed a 3 year deal last summer so he's not due. i think cullen is a legit 2nd line center. with7 million under the cap i would hope we add an elite forward. carson and rodney can fill up the D. but i doubt that will happen and we will sign cole and babs to fill out the roster.

if they sign all these guys then we have a full 12 forwards and 7 D on the roster already. where the room for boychuk sutter carson and rodney? llet cole babs berg and bayda go. use that money for 2 solid players or 1 elite player.

Wow, I think you really got it right! I like what you said. I have been looking at our depth chart and salaries and as it is now, we are sitting at 42 million. The cap might be 56 and who knows what the "self-imposed" cap will be? Let's say we were to ignore that, we actually don't have much room to play with if we re-sign the guys people are talking about.

Ruutu would go for 2.75, up from 2.25

Jokinen around 2, up from 1.875

LaRose around 2, up from 0.875

Right there we are up almost 7 million putting us at 49 million. We STILL don't have a 1st line winger for Staal (WHICH IS A MUST!) and no BIG forwards. We haven't even looked at the defense .

Defense has:

Gleason, Corvo, Pitkanen, Wallin and Kaberle.

Still a couple holes to fill for sure. We have seen from the playoffs if you want to get far you need a solid defense, and the guys we have are good to get us quite far, but we do need better.

Oh, and the 49 million does not include resigning some of our cheaper help such as Dwyer, Helminen, Ryan, Rodney, Carson, Borer and Bowman.

So, we have too many 3-4 line centers (see Jokinen, Cullen, Brind'Amour and Sutter)

No 1st line winger for Staal

Not much size on forward

Missing a couple defensemen

How do we spend our little wiggle room? What is the most important holes to fill based on what we saw in the playoffs? Not an easy task for JR.

I don't think you can pay Larose 2 mil. It's too risky. He had a great year, but will he continue? Some have noted him as a top 6 forward, but is he really going to be that year in year out?

What stinks is, we all know he deserves to be paid the 2 mil for all of the service has given this team for league minimum or slightly higher. But deserves got nothing to do with it.

To all those who believe we need a top forward to play with Staal, I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, we have solid forwards to play alongside Staal. Whitney, Ruutu, Cole... any combo of these three with Staal is a solid front-line. Staal can get you 40 goals and the others 2 wingers are usually good for 20-30 a season.

What the Canes need is a solid 2nd Center behind Staal. Brindy was that but he's past his prime. So the question is this: do you resign Cole and Ruutu with the expectation that Ruutu will fill that #2 void? Do you hope that either Cullen or Jokinen can step up from being #3 guys to a solid #2? You need someone behind Staal who is going to produce almost a point per game from that 2nd line. I don't think any of the scenarios I just pointed out can cut it.

Which means you need to sign or trade for a solid #2.

We have A LOT of solid, blue collar, hard-working guys who can get you 15-25 goals per season: Whitney, LaRose, Ruutu, Cole, Jokinen, Cullen, Samsonov. That's a lot of decent scoring in the regular season. But these aren't guys that the other teams fear are going to score every time they're on the ice.

Staal is the only guy that demands that attention. We need another one. You see it with Detroit (Zetterburg, Hossa, Datsyuk) and with Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin). These guys are on different lines typically; they put a lot of scoring pressure on multiple lines of defense.

For the most part I think we should bring back all the UFAs and RFAs that we have, but then I think JR needs to look at packaging what he can (maybe Walker/Whitney + defenseman) for a solid #2 center.

Not sure anyone has noticed but if you want to play GM and throw out your ideas, there's been a new thread started for this off season:

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...showtopic=19967

We get that its fun to throw around line up, signings and trade ideas but this is the thread we've always used for posting links to trade or signing rumors either read or heard from an actual sources.

Kaberle to the KHL?

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/5/29/892091/circular-reasoning-the-nylander-to' target="_blank">http://www.japersrink.com/2009/5/29/892091...the-nylander-to[/post]

if this happens do we get his 2.2 back for leaving the contract? or is it the same as retiring?

if we get the money this would be beyond perfect

if this happens we don't pay that salary for the next two years and if i am correct we don't take a cap hit either.