The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ebhughes

Need New Chants

I think Ward-o might work, except it could also be construed as the same goalie chant that's used to get into the head of a goalie. I'd rather not risk any chance that might cause Ward's distraction.

And yeah, Slapshot's got a lot of great quotes, not many can be said in the family-friendly environment of the RBC Center.

Thats odd- i am certain I heard it when someone (I think it was Seidenberg) got a penalty for touching Sid the Kid. WHo knows? maybe my hearing is what everyone says- BAD :unsure:

but yea, we aint those caps fans who carry rocks wit the label "ROCK TO THROW AT SIDNEY CROSBY IF I SEE HIM" around the street. we are better than that :P

All you hear when the Pens are playing in Washington or in Philly is the "Crosby sucks! Crosby sucks!" chant. It gets pretty old after awhile. Especially while he racked up 12 goals and 10 assists against those teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs this year. There was such a big contingent of Pens fans in Washington and you could hear them over the home crowd with a "Crosby scored! Crosby scored!" chant a few times during the series after Sidney goals. That brought me a smile because you have no idea the amount of animosity between the Pens, Caps and Flyers. It's pretty crazy.

I never really understood why teams chant opposing goalie names as much as they do. There is a big difference between allowing a soft goal or giving up a goal that a goalie really had no chance on or had little chance to stop. I think I would prefer it if home teams chanted the defensemen names if they hang their goalies out to dry. At least that would be more accurate.

I don't mind a "goalie you suck" chant if he is having a bad game. What I dislike is that chant when the guy is having a great game.

I think the "goalie, you suck" chant is over used.

All you hear when the Pens are playing in Washington or in Philly is the "Crosby sucks! Crosby sucks!" chant. It gets pretty old after awhile. Especially while he racked up 12 goals and 10 assists against those teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs this year. There was such a big contingent of Pens fans in Washington and you could hear them over the home crowd with a "Crosby scored! Crosby scored!" chant a few times during the series after Sidney goals. That brought me a smile because you have no idea the amount of animosity between the Pens, Caps and Flyers. It's pretty crazy.

I never really understood why teams chant opposing goalie names as much as they do. There is a big difference between allowing a soft goal or giving up a goal that a goalie really had no chance on or had little chance to stop. I think I would prefer it if home teams chanted the defensemen names if they hang their goalies out to dry. At least that would be more accurate.

I think mostly it is done to get into the goalies heads and make them second guess themselves. When they are trying to clear there heads after a goal there is nothing worse for them than the whole crowd chanting their name. It may seems foolish or maybe like it shouldn't bother them but for a lot of goalies it really does get to them (ie: Carey Price). A lot of goalies have pretty fragile psyches.

I remember hearing that loud and clear in that series and chuckling when the Pens fans could be heard above the Caps fans at the Verizon Center. I also remember the Pens fans couldnt get over the fact the Canes fans didn't boo Crosby. The Orpick boo's were expected but like the Bruins fans, the Pens fans were finding it hard to come up with reasons to hate us. I guess we're a likable bunch, not bad for a bunch of rednecks. ;)

I remember you guys have had some pretty solid "Let's Go Buffalo!" chants at times for the past several years. :P

In all fairness, a lot of the suggestions are popular at many college arenas. Which is great because you've got an extremely passionate following, usually mostly drunk and it's easy to get nearly everyone at the arena going with it. Plus the ushers are usually students who don't hold a lot of clout. At the professional level it's different.

You are right, a major problem in getting the arena chanting the same thing is that we arnt an extremely tight knit community, so if some person start yelling random stuff, people are very unlikely to pick it up. (Goalie), you suck is easy because everyone can get onto it quickly. Sadly, this stops most new chant ideas.

Also, i agree that suck chants are overused. I think we should put in a new adjective just to be different! :blink:

:lol: GO CANES

I remember you guys have had some pretty solid "Let's Go Buffalo!" chants at times for the past several years. :P

In all fairness, a lot of the suggestions are popular at many college arenas. Which is great because you've got an extremely passionate following, usually mostly drunk and it's easy to get nearly everyone at the arena going with it. Plus the ushers are usually students who don't hold a lot of clout. At the professional level it's different.

You just described the Slug fans that visit the RBC and what Im assuming is life in the HSBC. :lol:

A major problem in getting the arena chanting the same thing is that we arnt an extremely tight knit community

Please elaborate?

Face it, at the level of play in the NHL if opposing fans can get in the head of a goalie, he belongs in the AHL.

We are NOT a tight knit community----yet. We need to work on this, I think. GO CANES !

I will give examples:

We all know the fanbase is made up of transplanted yankees, and native born southerners. We also support (among others) Duke, the Heels, and NC State, usually ferevently. But, at the playoffs, Tyler H. (actually wearing a red shirt) was announced-------------and half of the audience booed him, as they did Roy Williams, when he was shown on the jumbotron supporting the Canes !!!!!! It seems half of our group can't rise above college rivalries. (I do not boo Sidney Lowe in the Canes setting, because he supports the Canes, as I do. ) When I am at a Canes game, I am not in an NC State arena---it is all Hurricanes, to me.

So I think we have a way to go to rise above the college level and chant for our professional hockey team, whom we all fervently support !!!! GO CANES !!!

During the play-offs, one of the announcers mentioned a chant the opposing team (NJ?) does - "kill...kill...kill.." during the penalty kill. I don't re-call hearing it (were there any penalties actually called during the play-offs?), but I imagine that could be pretty impressive. Of course, it could be changed to "kill it", or even "squish it" (in honor of our southern vernacular(?)), to be a tad original. While "squish it" might not be that intimidating, it could be distracting to the opponent. ("What are they saying?" and "Okay, but what does it mean?")

Being brave, one could use "shorty" instead, but that would seem to invite bad things... However, a chant of "shooooor-teeeeee" (along the same lines as "aiiiir-ballll") after scoring a shorty might be fun. Of course, it would become more fun the more often it could be used.

I had thought that something fun would be to have a chant special for the Valentines game along the lines of "We love you <name>, oh yes we do. We love you <name>. You Rock!" That might take a bit more coordination to get it going, but once people learn it, then someone just needs to start the first line (and pick the player to heap the "love" on) for everyone to jump in.

I hate the "(Enter opposing goalie name here three times), you suck" chant. I would rather see a continuous "Brodeur, brodeur, brodeur, brodeur" chant. It sounds so much better on TV.

I agree whole heartedly with that statement 100%

It was funny the first time it was done in New Jersey like 10 years ago. I love hearing a whole arena just keep rolling the name of the Goalie over and over again, especially if you get a goal on him while it's going on, it can get in their head.

I don't like the "Ref You Suck" chants. What is it going to accomplish? He's not going to change his call. He's used to it already, its not doing anything to him. Plus you are just making yourself look like trash, this guy's just doing his job. From experience as a referee, there's nothing I hate more than people telling me how to do my job, so I feel for them.

And for people who will say something along the lines of "this is what hockey's about, yelling curse words and insults", No. Just because you were raised to believe that doesn't mean you need to ruin it for the people who see hockey as one of the most ingenious creations of a sport. Hockey has more class than other sports, even with the fighting. The fighting keeps the sport clean; if you cheapshot someone you are going to get it from the other team.

Plus, this is a family environment. Can't we keep it clean for the kids?

We are NOT a tight knit community----yet. We need to work on this, I think. GO CANES !

I will give examples:

We all know the fanbase is made up of transplanted yankees, and native born southerners. We also support (among others) Duke, the Heels, and NC State, usually ferevently. But, at the playoffs, Tyler H. (actually wearing a red shirt) was announced-------------and half of the audience booed him, as they did Roy Williams, when he was shown on the jumbotron supporting the Canes !!!!!! It seems half of our group can't rise above college rivalries. (I do not boo Sidney Lowe in the Canes setting, because he supports the Canes, as I do. ) When I am at a Canes game, I am not in an NC State arena---it is all Hurricanes, to me.

So I think we have a way to go to rise above the college level and chant for our professional hockey team, whom we all fervently support !!!! GO CANES !!!

I agree 100%.

^ i agree that we aren't yet "tight knit" yet but it is not just the State fans. What are our colors? Red, White and Black...correct, well to me there isn't anything more frustrating than seeing "carolina" blue shirts and hats or other stuff through out RBC. I understand this is the same place State plays bball, but they don't need to prove their fanhood by wearing team gear completely unrealated to hockey. Yes few duke fans do it too and other fans occaisonally, but mostly it should be Canes jerseys/colors and maybe the other NHL teams. I admit State fans do it too and they should help buy Canes stuff, but at least the colors are the same. If you hate red, wear white or black, buy a home alt. jersey. So everyone is to blame here, not one group.

Back on topic....we could always do the tride and true half and half chants. One side throws out "LETS GO!" to which the other retorts with "Hurri-canes!" Gets the place loud and easy to follow if your half of RBC says something and raises their fist in unison.

I don't like the "Ref You Suck" chants. What is it going to accomplish? He's not going to change his call. He's used to it already, its not doing anything to him. Plus you are just making yourself look like trash, this guy's just doing his job. From experience as a referee, there's nothing I hate more than people telling me how to do my job, so I feel for them.

And for people who will say something along the lines of "this is what hockey's about, yelling curse words and insults", No. Just because you were raised to believe that doesn't mean you need to ruin it for the people who see hockey as one of the most ingenious creations of a sport. Hockey has more class than other sports, even with the fighting. The fighting keeps the sport clean; if you cheapshot someone you are going to get it from the other team.

Plus, this is a family environment. Can't we keep it clean for the kids?

What do any chants really accomplish? Hell you could argue that lets go whoever chants while the players on the ice can hurt the team your cheering for. The players are trying to talk to each other on the ice and if 18k fans are screaming lets go canes, it could be real hard for these guys to communicate.

Fans have to let steam off when some bonehead who is getting paid to *edit* the game up, screws the game up. I would much rather they yell fans you suck than throw *edit*, which I have wanted to do many times to most of the refs. I was a ref once so I know what it is like to be one. Even soccer moms get angry when you *edit* something up.

Maybe I am a bad fan but I paid to be there and sports is a way to yell and scream and do everything that we cant do at work. I try not to bust out an f bomb or anything. And if there are kids are around, especailly little ones, ill keep it as clean as possible. If my section is kid free I will raise Cane (get it).

As far as the wearing of the worst color known to man, powder blue, to a Canes game. It is bad. But I guess I cant really complain. Most people who wear that *edit* are casual fans. Atleast they are buying tickets. I will boo Roy Williams every time he or one of his cronnies comes on the screen. He is a cheater that was caught by the NCAA and I do not want that guy to be a fan of my team.

Ok there is something wrong when the word s c r e w is getting edited. We cant talk about tools on the website? That is beside some of the guys on the board

Ok there is something wrong when the word s c r e w is getting edited. We cant talk about tools on the website? That is beside some of the guys on the board

The filter probably caught it as part of another well used slang term. Even the filter knew you werent talking about tools. ;)

"goalie name/ref you suck" chant is what made me a hockey fan and season ticket holder!!
And here I thought it would've been "Mo Must Go!" that did it for ya....! ;)

Lordy Lordy we want a shorty... Where did I hear that chant for a short handed goal?

Some other game I watched on TV and it was 1, 2, 3 we want 4! And they kept upping the count with every goal.

1, 2 3, 4 we want more...

And here I thought it would've been "Mo Must Go!" that did it for ya....! ;)

Post of the week winner!

Sorry C97 but I couldnt resist. :lol: