The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
acaniac

ESPN RANKS HURRICANES

After eight years of being a fan, I finally got the chance to see the Canes at the RBC and I have to agree with this ESPN poll. In fact, I saw two games in three weeks back in November. They got whipped in both (Edmonton and Washington), but we had a great time. I bet there are people around the country who read this poll and remarked, "I didn't even know there was a hockey team in North Carolina." Way to go, Canes!

yep, it was nice.

And as a die hard member of the Canes fanbase, it has always made me feel good to hear JR and Mo publicly praise the fans----which they do frequently. So the letter was appreciated by me, and it was good public relations !!

What a classy and kind gesture to we Caniacs! Thanks JR, that was awesome! We are really lucky to have such a great organization, full of quality people. I know that is not really 'breaking news', but it is good to remind myself often enough to keep from taking it for granted. There are a lot of fans who don't get such heart-warming words of appreciation from their teams' representatives.

It feels GOOOOD to be a Caniac! I LOVE THIS TEAM!

If they would just resolve the parking problems of the past couple of years, the Canes would vault well into first place by a long shot.

If they would just resolve the parking problems of the past couple of years, the Canes would vault well into first place by a long shot.

I can resolve your parking issue easily. Get to the arena anywhere from 2 to 6 hours before gametime. Enjoy some good food and several adult beverages (around here we call this tailgating). Make some friends and enjoy the day. After the game, stand around and talk for 20 minutes, have another beverage or three if you have a driver, or hang out around the service exit where the players come out.

I can guarantee you these simple measures will eliminate all your traffic problems.

Dave, I hope you remember your comment later in the season when the parking complaints start. And they will. It all went to heck in a handbag after the organization hired Mike Alexander. <_< BTW, I've been a STH since 2002 and have a full time job, so I don't really have time to take off at noon 41 time a season to tailgate.

Dave, I hope you remember your comment later in the season when the parking complaints start. And they will. It all went to heck in a handbag after the organization hired Mike Alexander. <_< BTW, I've been a STH since 2002 and have a full time job, so I don't really have time to take off at noon 41 time a season to tailgate.

Just joking. I have had my complaints too. I work for a living, but I try to get out early enough on game days to get parked before 5 o'clock. That gives us a couple of hours to tailgate. My buddy and I will do a "Ferris Bueler's Day Off" 2 or 3 times a year and start tailgating about noon on a weekday. That's a lot of fun.

Don't pay me any attention. I'm like that crazy old uncle at the family reunion.

Agreed, Dave. Just so this thread doesn't turn into a *edit* session about parking, let's cut that off. I'm proud the Canes organization is Number 2 by only an ice chip. Says a lot for all the staff, management, and players. I'll be back for 41 more games in Section 105, Row G. Can't wait. :P

I find this a little suspect, and frankly quite irritating since the Canes used to be the Whalers, a franchise pretty well known for doing anything but deliver for its fans. Especially since the ownership didn't change with the moving of the team. You can't just pretend that 18 years of history didn't happen, though in raleigh you can try. It's kind of sad the canes can't give a nod to history and hang the retired Whalers jerseys from the rafters or don blue, white and green for throwbacks.

Hell, Buffalo made it to the finals in its 5th year of existence, but that wouldn't justify naming them as one of the best sports franchises of that era either. The article does state that it ranks based on giving back to the fans, which, admittedly, through dumb luck, the Canes have done well at.

You want to complain about the Canes not giving recognition to the Whalers, complain to the source. The city of Hartford owns all rights to the Whale and they refuse to give those rights over to anyone.

During the run up to and thru the playoffs, every time Mo was interviewed he was very complimenatary to the fans. I know a lot of it is PR, but it is still nice to hear.

I find this a little suspect, and frankly quite irritating since the Canes used to be the Whalers, a franchise pretty well known for doing anything but deliver for its fans. Especially since the ownership didn't change with the moving of the team. You can't just pretend that 18 years of history didn't happen, though in raleigh you can try. It's kind of sad the canes can't give a nod to history and hang the retired Whalers jerseys from the rafters or don blue, white and green for throwbacks.

Hell, Buffalo made it to the finals in its 5th year of existence, but that wouldn't justify naming them as one of the best sports franchises of that era either. The article does state that it ranks based on giving back to the fans, which, admittedly, through dumb luck, the Canes have done well at.

Suspect? Only a disgruntled Buffalo fan would come to a Canes board to discredit this. You're owner takes your money and runs to Florida to count it all where the taxes, cost and quality of living is much better. If I was a Slug fan I would be furious with the ownership for being so greedy with all my hard earned money and time I invest as a fan and with the players for not wanting to stay or sign in Buffalo. Last I checked, even if Golisano would spend the money, exactly which free agent is knocking down the door to play in Buffalo?

The Canes have done a fantastic job of creating a family friendly organization and took the time to build itself and estabish itself in the community. The players love this area and community to raise their families in and until recently, the org. was referred to as the league's best kept secretby a couple of different players . The secrets out and players want to sign here, stay here, retire here and are happy to come back here. What exactly is suspect about? Maybe your owner should take some notes, he has a loyal fan base but doesnt seem to care as he counts his money in FL.

Maybe your owner should take some notes, he has a loyal fan base but doesnt seem to care as he counts his money in FL.

Your argument may hold more water if Karmanos wasn't handcuffing JR with a self-imposed salary-cap and if PK actually lived in Raleigh, or anywhere in North Carolina.

Also, everytime I hear "family friendly" I want to stick pencils in my eyes. If Don Cherry was dead, he'd be spinning and cartwheeling in his grave at the thought of hockey being "family friendly". I long for the real hockey of the 70's when the sport was played by grown-ups and not overpaid prima-donnas who cry to the ref when they are lightly shoved off the puck.

Maybe your owner should take some notes, he has a loyal fan base but doesnt seem to care as he counts his money in FL.

Your argument may hold more water if Karmanos wasn't handcuffing JR with a self-imposed salary-cap and if PK actually lived in Raleigh, or anywhere in North Carolina.

Also, everytime I hear "family friendly" I want to stick pencils in my eyes. If Don Cherry was dead, he'd be spinning and cartwheeling in his grave at the thought of hockey being "family friendly". I long for the real hockey of the 70's when the sport was played by grown-ups and not overpaid prima-donnas who cry to the ref when they are lightly shoved off the puck.

Feel free to stay at home or keep your TV tuned to the Flinstones.

LOL, Jason Karmanos lives in Raleigh and I have no argument, just fact. Sorry to break the news to you and Don Cherry and you might want to pull those pencils out of your eyes and take a long look around the league (or any other Pro sport league) and see that family entertainment is the present and future for league survival. If you want to survive, you have to cater to your demographics. Oops I forgot, everyone leaves Buffalo so I guess Golisano is dead on when he caters to the drunken 18-25 year olds. Just old enough to get the booze but not quite old enough to realize there's no jobs or future staying in Buffalo with the current economy.

Like I said, the fans buy the tickets (with a lot of help from fans North of the border) yet free agents run away in droves. At least the Karmanos family is willing to pony up when they knew they had a solid contender like in 06. Who exactly did Golisano spring for when the Sabres were making their 2 big runs in 06 and 07? Thats right, they lost Briere, Drury and Campbell but they did get Zubrus :)

Im really not trying to get into a war with you but when you come to the Canes board to *edit* all over some great national recognition that we all feel proud of, you're gonna get the reality that is being a slug fan thrown right back in your face. Dude, you just sound bitter and envious.

Since Don Cherry isn't dead...does he constantly whine about how hockey is too family friendly?

That self imposed cap has got the Hurricanes to 3 Conference Championships and 2 Stanley Cups in 11 years of existence in Carolina. Can you tell me how many former players whether it be due to retirement/trade/ free agency have stayed around the Buffalo area once their playing days in that city are over? I don't see a guy like Hasek returning any time soon.