The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
acaniac

ESPN RANKS HURRICANES

Stanley Cup? what the heck is that? Apparently we've been fighting for best fans in the NHL award, seems to have ticked off the same amount of people as us winning the cup did.

To the guy saying the franchise doesnt recognize its roots....we cant. The rights to the whale are in Hartford they didnt come with the franchise, we can not legally wear the Whalers as a throwback nor hoist those jersies.

To the guy saying if Don Cherry was dead he'd do cartwheels over the game being family friendly.... I laughed when Cardiac wrote what he did. He's not dead and he's not complaining about it so therefore your shoving words in a mouth that spews enough garbage on his own.

Yes, Jason Karmanos-the VP and Assistant General manager lives in Raleigh-but Pete Karmanos-the owner-does not. If moving to Florida to save money is a bad thing, Maybe Pete should move the FLORIDA Everblades to Apex. (Which I believe was named the 3rd best town in America to move to. Kudos to Apex) My point was before slamming one teams owner, your own better be squeeky clean. Do the Sabres have problems, sure they do. If Lindy Ruff or Darcy Regier hasn't gotten that team a cup by now, then I don't see it happening under the current administration.

Do I think the Canes deliver a good product to the fans? Absolutley. As I have stated before, I have been attending Canes games since the Greensboro days, and many Icecaps games before that. Looking at the Phoenix Coyotes situation, I believe the Canes could be used as a model on how to be successful in a small-non traditional hockey market. I can't even complain about parking. I've had harder times getting out of the parking lot at 5 County stadium after a Mudcats game. (It's like bumper cars!)

Do I agree with everything the Canes do? No. But I buy my season tickets, lecture my daughter when she doesn't get "caned up" before we head to the game(Canes hat and her pink Canes jersey), feast off the excellent BBQ cart and get a cold Labatts.

It's just being from Buffalo, the constant I hate Buffalo-the Sabres Suck, yadda yadda wears a little thin once in a while.

Since Don Cherry isn't dead...does he constantly whine about how hockey is too family friendly?

That self imposed cap has got the Hurricanes to 3 Conference Championships and 2 Stanley Cups in 11 years of existence in Carolina. Can you tell me how many former players whether it be due to retirement/trade/ free agency have stayed around the Buffalo area once their playing days in that city are over? I don't see a guy like Hasek returning any time soon.

Hasek lives in the Czech Republic and he always goes back there in the offseason anyway.

Michael Peca, Jay McKee, (whom married Buffalonians) and Scotty Bowman still have residences in the Buffalo area. Guys like Larry Playfair is heavily involved with youth hockey out there while members of the old French Connection line live there too.

Taxes in NYS ARE a pain in the butt, and really the main reason people leave the state, whether it is either Buffalo, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Kingston, etc.

Yes, Jason Karmanos-the VP and Assistant General manager lives in Raleigh-but Pete Karmanos-the owner-does not. If moving to Florida to save money is a bad thing, Maybe Pete should move the FLORIDA Everblades to Apex. (Which I believe was named the 3rd best town in America to move to. Kudos to Apex) My point was before slamming one teams owner, your own better be squeeky clean. Do the Sabres have problems, sure they do. If Lindy Ruff or Darcy Regier hasn't gotten that team a cup by now, then I don't see it happening under the current administration.

Do I think the Canes deliver a good product to the fans? Absolutley. As I have stated before, I have been attending Canes games since the Greensboro days, and many Icecaps games before that. Looking at the Phoenix Coyotes situation, I believe the Canes could be used as a model on how to be successful in a small-non traditional hockey market. I can't even complain about parking. I've had harder times getting out of the parking lot at 5 County stadium after a Mudcats game. (It's like bumper cars!)

Do I agree with everything the Canes do? No. But I buy my season tickets, lecture my daughter when she doesn't get "caned up" before we head to the game(Canes hat and her pink Canes jersey), feast off the excellent BBQ cart and get a cold Labatts.

It's just being from Buffalo, the constant I hate Buffalo-the Sabres Suck, yadda yadda wears a little thin once in a while.

Why didnt you say this in the first place? If you would had prefaced your original post with this, you would have avoided a fire storm. Getting *edit* on because we are a non traditional market and being accused of dissing the Whaler history wears me a little thin once in a while too. Before you come here to discredit the story because of past issues that have little to do with the present day Canes, make sure your own team is squeaky clean as to the product and service they offer their loyal fans first. Is it possible that Karmanos really did do his homework before deciding to move his team to NC? Maybe it was a do over of sorts for him where he could create and build a team from the start, the start he didnt have in CT. No doubt things got ugly up in CT but its not fair to compare the 2 franchises since they have/had cmpletely different situations.

I'd love to see the Canes minor league teams based out of NC somewhere, Apex is as good as any to put them but I dont it see it happening. Now Charlotte or Greensboro might work for an AHL team.

As to the parking, these people complaining have no idea what its like to pay $25-$30 for event parking and have to leave your car 3 blocks away on the top level of a parking deck in freezing temps. Leaving the lots here may be annoying but at least you get to listen to all those knowlegable fans call in the sports shows after the game while waiting to get out. :lol:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think there was one post in this thread about I hate Buffalo-the Sabres Suck, yadda yadda, until you came on here dissing folks.

Being named the 2nd best franchise and 1st NHL franchise for a Southern Market is pretty big. Maybe you got lost and thought you were on the Sabres board, but this is the CANES board. What is so wrong with posting a good accomplishment for the CANES fans to discuss and be proud about.

whats realy sad is ESPN the magazine gave the hurricanes no love in their article. They gave the LAAAAAA ( however many As there are) all the love. The Canes were number 2 on the rankings they had on the page but, no mention of them in the article. Im sure if the Yankees or Cowboys were number 2 then they would have had an some mention. Heck the Clippers got the other half and they were the worst.

whats realy sad is ESPN the magazine gave the hurricanes no love in their article. They gave the LAAAAAA ( however many As there are) all the love. The Canes were number 2 on the rankings they had on the page but, no mention of them in the article. Im sure if the Yankees or Cowboys were number 2 then they would have had an some mention. Heck the Clippers got the other half and they were the worst.

ESPN credit hockey? Blasphemy.

The truth is that hockey is not a good ratings sport for ESPN so they simply won't cover it. Secondly, and this will ire a few, but the canes are relatively uninteresting as a hockey team. They don't play in a traditional hockey market, don't have an especially rabid fan base, and lack the star power of a Crosby or an Ovechkin (you can make the argument for Staal as much as you want) and their one championship (thanks Andrew Ladd, Ty Conklin!) is getting further and further back in the rear view mirror.

There are maybe 5 NHL teams that would've gotten mention had they finished second. Pittsburgh (Crosby), Washington (Ovechkin), Detroit (Hockeytown), Buffalo (Fan base), and Minnesota (Fan base). You could make the case for Philly and a few Canadian teams probably as well.

The truth is that hockey is not a good ratings sport for ESPN so they simply won't cover it. Secondly, and this will ire a few, but the canes are relatively uninteresting as a hockey team. They don't play in a traditional hockey market, don't have an especially rabid fan base, and lack the star power of a Crosby or an Ovechkin (you can make the argument for Staal as much as you want) and their one championship (thanks Andrew Ladd, Ty Conklin!) is getting further and further back in the rear view mirror.

There are maybe 5 NHL teams that would've gotten mention had they finished second. Pittsburgh (Crosby), Washington (Ovechkin), Detroit (Hockeytown), Buffalo (Fan base), and Minnesota (Fan base). You could make the case for Philly and a few Canadian teams probably as well.

In the world of professional sports, I agree that the Canes are a relatively uninteresting team. In the NHL, probably the same since they are a small non-traditional market but I dont think I agree with what you have as the teams that are interesting and why. Washington and Pittsburgh are self explanatory, Detroit and a couple of the Canadian teams because of the championships and history, but Im afraid the legend of the Buffalo fans may only be legendary to Western NY'ers. The rest of the league definately has opinions about the Buffalo fan base but Im afraid its not something ESPN or any other media outlet cares to cover. Not to mention that before the 05-06 season when the Sabres became contenders, there was little interest. What Buffalo sports are well known for isnt exactly giving much notariety to the area.

Not sure about MN, they have a great fan base but unfortunately the team hasnt had any big success in recent years but they should get lots of credit for supporting the team through the good, bad and relocations. I would add Chicago to the list of interesting franchises because of their young stars and the Blackhawks long history. Chicago has probably seen the biggest ressurgence in its fans base and overall interest compared to the rest of the league.

And thanks for crediting our Stanley Cup win to one mistake made by an opposing goaltender. :rolleyes: I guess it should be noted that the reason for the thread is that the Canes franchise was credited and acknowledged as interesting enough to rank them at #2 overall for all sports teams and #1 for all NHL teams.

Not the Rangers? or the Kings? and why, in the name of all that is good, would Buffalo be mentioned in that group? The Sabres have no players better than even Staal, no history to speak of and rabid Buffalo fans are more a description of their medical condition, not their state of fandom. If, and that's a mighty big if, the Sabres would get mentioned, it would be because they almost went bankrupt, not because they are any different than any other franchise or town. And yes, the Hurricanes are not the interesting topic in hockey because the lack of a generational player or the original 6 bloodlines, but they are a team that understands hockey survives by growing and maintaining a viable fanbase. The Canes actively support charities in the local community, heavily invest in local youth hockey and provide tons of opportunites to see the players throughout the year.

On top of just the support they return to the community, the other aspect of the survey was what do they return on the ice. Since 97, the Canes have been to two Cups and won one of them. More than many teams in the NHL, including the one you "support". And, with the present management structure, there is no reason to expect the Canes to tank anytime soon and will occasionally make runs like they did in 2002, 2006 and 2009. So I am not really sure why anyone would question the results of this study. And why would that person, and supporters, would get mad when Canes fans don't take kindly to being questioned, unprompted, on their own board?

Oh, by the way, I grew up in Upstate New York and was a Sabres fan for all of my life until the playoff run in 2006. I still have family and friends in the Upstate who are Sabres fans and ticket holders and they are way more indictative of the "normal" Buffalo fan than the idiots who get liquored up and travel to away games. Or home games. If a fanbase does not wish to be perceived as drunken idiots, don't behave as drunken idiots.

I guess Im as guilty as any for leading this thread toward another Buffalo discussion but to quote what caniac247 posted:

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think there was one post in this thread about I hate Buffalo-the Sabres Suck, yadda yadda, until you came on here dissing folks.

Being named the 2nd best franchise and 1st NHL franchise for a Southern Market is pretty big. Maybe you got lost and thought you were on the Sabres board, but this is the CANES board. What is so wrong with posting a good accomplishment for the CANES fans to discuss and be proud about.

She has a very good point.

Lets get this back on topic and enjoy all the notariety this uninteresting franchise is getting. Id hate to have to close this topic because fans from another team dont agree and are offended by the ESPN poll and letter from JR to his fanbase.

I guess Im as guilty as any for leading this thread toward another Buffalo discussion

It has been noted and will be thrown back in your face at a later date when I decide to derail another thread ;)

Been a week or so since I last checked in. It's good to see the "Buffalonians" are continuing to throw dirt upon their own "name" without even realizing it. Some things never change. :lol: Isn't it interesting how every single time there is any sort of thread that acknowledges the successes and accomplishments of the Canes that the thread is nearly ALWAYS hijacked by some "Buffalonian" with some sort of mental defect caused by extended exposure to subzero temperatures? It's like clockwork I tell you. It's like hating the rich just because they are rich. Senseless...

Anyway, as for the ranking itself, we don't need ESPN exposing our secret to the world (read: I never want to see a giant bandwagon like all large market teams suffer from). We already know we have something special here and don't need ESPN to tell us that, because the rest of the world doesn't care. But, I'll admit it is nice to see some recognition. Personally, the letter from JR means more.

Been a week or so since I last checked in. It's good to see the "Buffalonians" are continuing to throw dirt upon their own "name" without even realizing it. Some things never change. :lol: Isn't it interesting how every single time there is any sort of thread that acknowledges the successes and accomplishments of the Canes that the thread is nearly ALWAYS hijacked by some "Buffalonian" with some sort of mental defect caused by extended exposure to subzero temperatures? It's like clockwork I tell you. It's like hating the rich just because they are rich. Senseless...

And everytime the Canes do something successful, some senseless Carolinian with too much heat exposure decides to rub it in Sabres fans faces on their message board.

But at least it keeps the rivalry going somewhat...and what's wrong with that?

And everytime the Canes do something successful, some senseless Carolinian with too much heat exposure decides to rub it in Sabres fans faces on their message board.

Our folks are trolling Sabre boards? Not the ones I belong to.

I don't frequent the Slug board, but since you decided to bring this fight to us...

at least we have done something successful.