The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Hurricanes Agree Terms with Andrew Alberts

Not sure how I feel about this. He's physical, I don't think there's any arguing that. But he sacrifices a lot of speed and mobility for physicality. Depending on who he's paired with, it could work out, but as far as speed goes, he's Babchuk that sacrifices the shot for physicality.

Yeah, this guy sounds like the real deal (as far as a shutdown defenseman). Sounds like a great signing, another heavy hitter - we are going to be a bruising team this season: Walks, Ruutu (eventaully he'll sign - knock on wood), TKO, Cole, Brindy, Conboy, Gleason... and now Alberts = lots of hit-happy guys! I am getting more and more confident in JR's choices/moves lately (not that I ever doubted the man). I'm looking forward to seeing him take the ice. Welcome to the team, community, and most importantly welcome to the Caniac Nation, Mr. Alberts! LETS GO CANES!

he sacrifices a lot of speed and mobility for physicality. Depending on who he's paired with, it could work out, but as far as speed goes, he's Babchuk that sacrifices the shot for physicality.

If Teensensation were here I am sure he would say "Can he kill a Cougar with his bare hands?" Since those are his Words of Wisdom :lol:

It'll be a physical pairing, but won't have the speed to hit anyone. :lol:

:lol: Maybe they could work as a tag team. I'll be interested to see just how "slow" he is on the ice in person.

I'm not really sure what to make of this one. Based on stats he could be a decent Seids replacement...but based on salary he's not top 4 material. If I had to guess, this addresses the loss of Babchuk and Kaberle, with Seids or a trade still a possibility for that top 4 Dman we all crave.

Don't know how I feel about this. I like the signing, great deal for a big physical guy, he'll definitely help our D. He'll only be making 800k next year, so that doesn't eat up too much cap and he's 28. The part I don't like is I have a feeling Rutherford expects him to be in our top 4. JR said he'll "solidify our defense," not sure if that means we're done with our D or what. If we're able to get Seidenberg back, then I'll feel a lot better, I hope this isn't the end of our defensive signings.

Don't know how I feel about this. I like the signing, great deal for a big physical guy, he'll definitely help our D. He'll only be making 800k next year, so that doesn't eat up too much cap and he's 28. The part I don't like is I have a feeling Rutherford expects him to be in our top 4. JR said he'll "solidify our defense," not sure if that means we're done with our D or what. If we're able to get Seidenberg back, then I'll feel a lot better, I hope this isn't the end of our defensive signings.

I think it all depends on Seids, if he signs then we are good to go, if not then we keep shopping.

Scouting report on Alberts:

Assets: Is a huge physical specimen and also an aggressive type by nature. Likes to lay on the body and owns some shutdown qualities.

Flaws: Will never be a big point producer in the NHL. Struggles against quicker forwards that surpass him on the outside.

Career potential: No. 6 or 7 defenseman.

This is from the GM thread...based on this plus the salary I highly doubt JR is thinking top 4 for this guy. Still a move or two to go.

EDIT: Then again, this is from Paul's latest blog a few minutes ago:

"The Canes grabbed the bruising defenseman they were looking for on Wednesday, signing 6-foot-5, 218 pound Andrew Alberts to a two-year contract....

"He's got big range, plays physical and can jump into the top four," said Hurricanes General Manager Jim Rutherford. He covers a lot of territory in the defensive zone and really plays with that edge."

Now, he did say jump into...

Here's the rest: http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20295' target="_blank">Link[/post]

Sportsnet scouting report:

Assets: Is a huge physical specimen and also an aggressive type by nature. Likes to lay on the body and owns some shutdown qualities.

Flaws: Will never be a big point producer in the NHL. Struggles against quicker forwards that surpass him on the outside.

Career potential: #6 or 7 defenseman.

So kind of what we would expect given his frame.

Now look at COmmodre, its almost the same:

Assets: Has tremendous size and strength. Plays a simple game that keeps improving with age and experience. Is well liked in the locker room.

Flaws: Doesn't have a lot of scoring upside. Has trouble avoiding the injury bug. Can at times be beaten on the outside by a speed rusher.

Career potential: top 6 defenseman.

virtually the same scouting report. I think he will definitely help out our defense, you can't argue that his size won't help.

This is from the GM thread...based on this plus the salary I highly doubt JR is thinking top 4 for this guy. Still a move or two to go.

Paul Branecky's http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20295&pid=286365&st=0entry286365' target="_blank">blog[/post] seems to imply that we still have another D-man to go.

While Alberts may be a reinforcement of sorts for our top 4 I get the impression that we're still looking.

I think it all depends on Seids, if he signs then we are good to go, if not then we keep shopping.

Yeah, signing Sieds would definitely help. Losing him and Babchuk would really hurt, we'd be loosing 65 points and a lot of shot blocking. Since Alberts job is not to score, hopefully we can get someone, like Sieds, who can put some up some points.

Im just excited to see some action finally taking place. With the team we had all we needed was a little physicality when that kind of team rolls into town. Our team isn't getting any worse, I like the moves.

PS: how is this going to go over?

It looks like everyone is trying to make the comparison with Commodore. The one comparison nobody has made is the 2 million dollars less he will be making.

I like this move. It is another big, mean body that this team needs. This signing and TK yesterday tells me that there is some kind of trade on the horizon.

How is this for ironic... check out who he is fighting in this picture

And if that isn't an omen, check out the advertising sloagan in the "Modell's" ad behind our new hero in this picture!

I think JR was just using Google Image Search and saying - "Hey, I like this picture... I'll get these two guys. Oh, and Gotta Go To Mo's? OK, then he will..."