The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Hurricanes Agree Terms with Andrew Alberts

You'll like Double A. He is a decent defender. Not big on speed, whoever said like Commodore is spot on. And for getting along with guys he has had stuff in the past with, if he getting along with Hartnell after this:

He will be fine with Walker and Kostopolous.

It looks like everyone is trying to make the comparison with Commodore. The one comparison nobody has made is the 2 million dollars less he will be making.

I like this move. It is another big, mean body that this team needs. This signing and TK yesterday tells me that there is some kind of trade on the horizon.

3 million less actually.

He signed here knowing he won't be on the other side of Scottie's fist, for atleast this year :lol:

Decent signing for our 3rd pairing.

JR didn't lie when he said he wanted to get bigger and more physical.

One more D signed for our top 4 and I think we'll be set. Can't wait for Oct 2nd.

And interesting on his interview with 99.9 he said that JR contacted him July 1st. What ever happened to JR laying low July 1st :lol:

He also said he talked to some buddies who played here and they told him they loved it. He also contact some buddies who played for Mo out in Toronto and they told him Mo was very professional and fair and as long as you work your *edit* off you'll be fine.

And he gave props to the fans, said how they'd come in on the bus and see all the tailgaters and how its a raucous crowd here. Yeah we rock.

He signed here knowing he won't be on the other side of Scottie's fist, for atleast this year :lol:

Decent signing for our 3rd pairing.

JR didn't lie when he said he wanted to get bigger and more physical.

One more D signed for our top 4 and I think we'll be set. Can't wait for Oct 2nd.

And interesting on his interview with 99.9 he said that JR contacted him July 1st. What ever happened to JR laying low July 1st :lol:

He also said he talked to some buddies who played here and they told him they loved it. He also contact some buddies who played for Mo out in Toronto and they told him Mo was very professional and fair and as long as you work your *edit* off you'll be fine.

And he gave props to the fans, said how they'd come in on the bus and see all the tailgaters and how its a raucous crowd here. Yeah we rock.

Kostopolous said the same thing. Little did we know, but July 1st Rutherford was very active and we can see his plan coming together in these past couple days. I can't wait for our next move.

And this:

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

My God

1. I remember watching this game when it happened because I distinctly remember being able to hear Walker say "Lets go" and start punching before Alberts even got started

2. I think John Forslund said it best, "That little ball of hate, Scott Walker".

First off: Welcome to the team, Andrew. No matter what, sooner or later, I will love him as any other cane out on the ice.

But really: I don't get it. I just don't get it. We got awesome talent within our system in Borer, Carson, McBain, Rodney. Look at their age: Rodney 25, Carson 23, Borer 23. How long are we goin' to have them hang out in the minors? These guys literally will turn UFA before we even think about giving them a shot in the NHL. What a waste of talent.

Look at what happend with Conboy: Instead of being given a shot to grow as a decent D, he's now a 4th line fill up guy. And with this signing, that seems to be the only option available for these other boys within the next 2 years. I really don't understand it. Rodney, after playing some great games last season, will now be 27 when he's even given the possibilty (if even) to make the team, and will turn UFA one year later.

With this signing being made, I'd say (somehow with a tear in one eye) we should try to move Carson, Borer, Rodney, to get at least something, anything out of their talent before letting it vanish nowhere.

However, maybe, if the Kabs buyout will take place, I may get proven wrong and there may be 2 spots for the young guns availabe. I really hope so, but I have that feeling it's not gonna happen

First off: Welcome to the team, Andrew. No matter what, sooner or later, I will love him as any other cane out on the ice.

But really: I don't get it. I just don't get it. We got awesome talent within our system in Borer, Carson, McBain, Rodney. Look at their age: Rodney 25, Carson 23, Borer 23. How long are we goin' to have them hang out in the minors? These guys literally will turn UFA before we even think about giving them a shot in the NHL. What a waste of talent.

Look at what happend with Conboy: Instead of being given a shot to grow as a decent D, he's now a 4th line fill up guy. And with this signing, that seems to be the only option available for these other boys within the next 2 years. I really don't understand it. Rodney, after playing some great games last season, will now be 27 when he's even given the possibilty (if even) to make the team, and will turn UFA one year later.

With this signing being made, I'd say (somehow with a tear in one eye) we should try to move Carson, Borer, Rodney, to get at least something, anything out of their talent before letting it vanish nowhere.

However, maybe, if the Kabs buyout will take place, I may get proven wrong and there may be 2 spots for the young guns availabe. I really hope so, but I have that feeling it's not gonna happen

Borer has been injured that past two years so I'm not sure hes at the top of his game right now. Rodney hasnt even played a full season in the AHL if I am correct. Perhaps Carson could see time with us this season though. With the grinding season its going to be this year because of the olympics (2 weeks taken out of the schedule results in less time between games) theres bound to be plenty of call ups. Remember, next season Wallin is gone, Corvo's contract is up and I would expect at least one of our guys to play here next year.

However, maybe, if the Kabs buyout will take place, I may get proven wrong and there may be 2 spots for the young guns available. I really hope so, but I have that feeling it's not gonna happen

You do not want to rush D prospects, and you really do not want two of them in the line up this year. If they have a great camp, & take their assignment to Albany well. Then they will be one of the first call ups for D. You want these young guys to get 20mins a game in the AHL, and not 5min a game in the NHL. If they do develop into NHL D then JR will offer them a one way contract before they become UFA.

More spots will open up next year, and we will be looking for some of the young guns on F & D to then make the jump after a full year at the AHL level. That will help free up more of the team payroll, and hopefully get Cam Ward signed to an extension.

Uh, no. Horrendous signing.

I live in the Philly area and get to watch all Flyers games, all the time. This guy is an absolute nightmare with the puck in his own zone and takes foolish penalty after foolish penalty. I remember saying all last season that he doesn't even deserve a two-way contract, let alone to be in an NHL team's top 6 Dman corps.

This was a waste of cash, no matter how little he costs.

-Ryan

Uh, no. Horrendous signing.

I live in the Philly area and get to watch all Flyers games, all the time. This guy is an absolute nightmare with the puck in his own zone and takes foolish penalty after foolish penalty. I remember saying all last season that he doesn't even deserve a two-way contract, let alone to be in an NHL team's top 6 Dman corps.

This was a waste of cash, no matter how little he costs.

-Ryan

Hmmm---- interesting. You are the only one with a rating of about 1 in a scale of 10. Why do you think all the other people have differing opinions? Including all those in the Canes organization such as Rutherford ,Francis etc?

I have checked a few other boards and none have any significant negative feedback at this level.

Here are 2 other of your posts from 2008 that may shed some light on this one.

"From Jul 3 2008

Well, if you're all right (and you probably are), I'll be one of the first to say I'm not the least bit excited about this team. We're one skill-player injury away from finishing 2nd or 3rd in the worst division in hockey since the Norris Division of the old days.

From Jul 2 2008

Living in the Philly area, I've had an opportunity to see a lot of Pitkanen over the years. He's an outright lousy defenseman, totally underachieving his level of promise. He's very soft defensively and has been getting hurt quite a bit in recent times. While I think Cole had done as much for us as he ever was going to and have no problem with seeing him dealt, I think Pitkanen was a lousy trade option.

Chalk this up as another in a string of bad GM moves over the last 2 yrs of player movement which began with the John Graham signing.

-Ryan"

Im feeling better about this since talking to friends in Boston. He was basically done in Boston due to numbers and younger kids ready to make the jump. The description I got was that he hits like mack truck and wont back down from anyone. Very good stay at home guy, he may take a bad penalty now an then but overall is very solid. There was some concern over concussion history but no one I talked to could remember any specifics and said it even could have been that he gave someone else a concussion. Maybe someone here can find it somewhere.

Yeah, this guy sounds like the real deal (as far as a shutdown defenseman). Sounds like a great signing, another heavy hitter - we are going to be a bruising team this season: Walks, Ruutu (eventaully he'll sign - knock on wood), TKO, Cole, Brindy, Conboy, Gleason... and now Alberts = lots of hit-happy guys! I am getting more and more confident in JR's choices/moves lately (not that I ever doubted the man). I'm looking forward to seeing him take the ice. Welcome to the team, community, and most importantly welcome to the Caniac Nation, Mr. Alberts! LETS GO CANES!

I agree, more heavy hitters! But I never considered Brindy a "bruising" hitter (or much of a hitter at all). MTC Go Canes!!

Im feeling better about this since talking to friends in Boston. He was basically done in Boston due to numbers and younger kids ready to make the jump. The description I got was that he hits like mack truck and wont back down from anyone. Very good stay at home guy ho may take a bad penalty now an then but overall is very solid. There was some concern over concussion history but no one I talked to could remember any specifics and said it even could have been that he gave someone else a concussion. Maybe someone here can find it somewhere.

Per http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Andrew_Alberts/' target="_blank">sportsnet.ca[/post], in '07-'08 he missed 47 games due to a "headache" which to me means concussion and other sources actually call it a concussion.

Here it is per NHL.com... this is the first place I looked when we signed him.. and it worried me but hopefully it wont be a pattern.

"Hockey East Second All-Star Team (2004) NCAA East First All-American Team (2004, 2005) Hockey East First All-Star Team (2005) Missed majority of 2007-08 season recovering from post-concussion symptoms. "

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469626&view=notes (player bio under notes)

Im feeling better about this since talking to friends in Boston. He was basically done in Boston due to numbers and younger kids ready to make the jump. The description I got was that he hits like mack truck and wont back down from anyone. Very good stay at home guy ho may take a bad penalty now an then but overall is very solid. There was some concern over concussion history but no one I talked to could remember any specifics and said it even could have been that he gave someone else a concussion. Maybe someone here can find it somewhere.

I think he may have gotten a concussion from this Hartnell hit to the head against the boards. Dirty hit IMO.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Bottom line - Is Alberts the next Pronger?...NO, but can he be a solid 2nd pairing defensive D?...Potentially, Yes. I think he will start out being a 3rd pairing D, and with another good year be moved up to a 2nd pairing D for next year. Then one of the young D will move up from a solid year in the AHL to our 3rd pairing. Just a thought of what could happen. He also may never be better than a 5th - 7th D.

I suspect that we're going to see at least 1 spot available for one of the young guys to win. That will most likely be Kabs's spot. Someone is going to be the 7th d-man and I think it's going to be a rook. JR said Alberts could move into the 4th spot here and there, so I think we'll see some time split in the 3rd pairing between Wallin/Alberts/whichever Rat wins the job. From all accounts there's a lot of upside on McBain at the moment.

Remember that Corvo and Wallin are both in the last year of their contracts. While it's possible we'll try to re-sign Corvo -- provided the asking price isn't exorbitant -- I don't think we'll bring Wallin back. That means whichever Rat wins the 7th spot this year has an inside track to being paired with Alberts in the 2010-2011 season on the 3rd pairing (if Alberts doesn't move up). I think between this year and next you'll see 2 Rats d-men on the big club.

I think he may have gotten a concussion from this Hartnell hit to the head against the boards. Dirty hit IMO.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

I think that's it-the timeline fits and it's definitely a concussion-worthy hit.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

Bottom line - Is Alberts the next Pronger?...NO, but can he be a solid 2nd pairing defensive D?...Potentially, Yes. I think he will start out being a 3rd pairing D, and with another good year be moved up to a 2nd pairing D for next year. Then one of the young D will move up from a solid year in the AHL to our 3rd pairing. Just a thought of what could happen. He also may never be better than a 5th - 7th D.

Honestly, if he stays in the third pair that's fine with me, since it means actually having a 3rd D pair. I looked at a couple random box scores from last year and noticed a trend with the defensemen, a couple of guys would have 19-20 minutes of TOI (Pitkanen, Sieds, Corvo etc) then a couple guys would have 12 minutes (Wallin, Kaberle) and then there would be one guy (was Conboy in the examples I looked at) that only had 2 minutes on the ice. That tells me that Pitkanen and Gleason are playing a whole lot and then Corvo/Kabs/Sieds/Conboy are rotating around. Is it even worth it for Conboy to only play 2-3 minutes? No PP, no PK and just 3 minutes of EV.

If each pair was even on the ice they would each play 19-20 minutes each.. obviously things like playing 4 forwards on a PP, a 6th attacker jumping on etc play with the numbers.. and the 3rd pair is like the 4th line of forwards, they don't play every time their number is up.. it will go 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, etc... But if that third pair can log more minutes and give Gleason and Pitkanen a breather (those two log a lot of minutes) then it's worth the signing. If Alberts and his partner can chew up 10 minutes a game (instead of 3 like Conboy) if will give the top 4 fresher legs. If he moves up that's great.. but same as our 4th line who never plays (3-4 minutes a game) having a 3rd pair that can play more will help individual games go deeper and the season as a whole go deeper. Hopefully that means fresher legs for a deep playoff run. :lol:

Honestly, if he stays in the third pair that's fine with me, since it means actually having a 3rd D pair. I looked at a couple random box scores from last year and noticed a trend with the defensemen, a couple of guys would have 19-20 minutes of TOI (Pitkanen, Sieds, Corvo etc) then a couple guys would have 12 minutes (Wallin, Kaberle) and then there would be one guy (was Conboy in the examples I looked at) that only had 2 minutes on the ice. That tells me that Pitkanen and Gleason are playing a whole lot and then Corvo/Kabs/Sieds/Conboy are rotating around. Is it even worth it for Conboy to only play 2-3 minutes? No PP, no PK and just 3 minutes of EV.

If each pair was even on the ice they would each play 19-20 minutes each.. obviously things like playing 4 forwards on a PP, a 6th attacker jumping on etc play with the numbers.. and the 3rd pair is like the 4th line of forwards, they don't play every time their number is up.. it will go 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, etc... But if that third pair can log more minutes and give Gleason and Pitkanen a breather (those two log a lot of minutes) then it's worth the signing. If Alberts and his partner can chew up 10 minutes a game (instead of 3 like Conboy) if will give the top 4 fresher legs. If he moves up that's great.. but same as our 4th line who never plays (3-4 minutes a game) having a 3rd pair that can play more will help individual games go deeper and the season as a whole go deeper. Hopefully that means fresher legs for a deep playoff run. :lol:

Conboy played those 3 min as a 4th line forward...Not 3rd pair D. Ice time for 3rd pair D should average about 10-15 min a game, 2nd pair 15-20 min, and top pair 20-25 min. A solid 3rd pair would help even out the time especially if they can be trusted on special teams.

Although time will tell and I dont know much about him or TK, Alberts looks OK by what is said as the Canes need some meat who will hit in the corners and keep teams from cycling the puck and running the corners. Put him with a puck moving D-man to get the puck out and let him be the muscle.

Anything is better than Babs who treats the puck like a hot potato when he gets it. As soon as he gets it, he dumps to the nearest guy. Plus no physical play from Babs. Who cares if he can take the head off of a forward within 4 feet of the goal.

Still, will see what happens.

Conboy played those 3 min as a 4th line forward...Not 3rd pair D. Ice time for 3rd pair D should average about 10-15 min a game, 2nd pair 15-20 min, and top pair 20-25 min. A solid 3rd pair would help even out the time especially if they can be trusted on special teams.

That's odd.. it had him on the box score as a D... i guess thats how he's listed on the roster, but that would make a lot more sense, since Sutter and Brindamour also had like 2-3 minutes a game (late in the season when Rod wasnt playing as much).