The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Hurricanes Agree Terms with Andrew Alberts

given the way we tend to "resurrect" careers, can we at least give the guy a chance to play first before we blow holes in his performance?? Some of you said the same things about Samsonov and Jokinen (someone even mentioned we got the wrong one) when they were acquired and we know how that worked out.

given the way we tend to "resurrect" careers, can we at least give the guy a chance to play first before we blow holes in his performance?? Some of you said the same things about Samsonov and Jokinen (someone even mentioned we got the wrong one) when they were acquired and we know how that worked out.

I've stayed quiet, but finally someone to agree with 100%. Thanks.

Ya'll know... I'm kinda enjoying watching people snipe back and forth over this... and ALOT of people who are singing the praises of JR for picking up a "defensive - defenseman" are the same people who told me essentially that "defensive - defensemen" are worthless, not needed, and that I was crazy for thinking that we should have picked one up last summer... ironic, huh?

You should go back and read comments by certain posters on here about past acquisitions and trades. There is one specific person, who is very sure of themselves, that has been wrong about 90% of the time regarding whether a trade/acquisition would benefit the team. Sometimes it takes more than a boxscore to judge a players potential and strengths/weaknesses.

You should go back and read comments by certain posters on here about past acquisitions and trades. There is one specific person, who is very sure of themselves, that has been wrong about 90% of the time regarding whether a trade/acquisition would benefit the team. Sometimes it takes more than a boxscore to judge a players potential and strengths/weaknesses.

Before I singled out a "certain person" (I have been guilty of this is the past) I would remind myself that anyone who frequents this board has been guilty of "being wrong" or making a wrong assumption about a player, what JR should do next, or what's best for the team. I also would remind myself that without all the info at hand, we can only surmise why a certain player was signed, why the organization may think he will be a good fit for the team's style of play, how he might fit in the locker room, etc. If a certain person relies on the best info he or she has, whether it's a boxscore, stats, other message boards, talking to a friend, or whatever, to draw a conclusion I'm okay with that. However, I agree with anyone who has said let's give the player a chance to prove himself and see how this all unfolds before we jump ship as a terrible signing. Heck, the roster isn't complete yet. :)

Before I singled out a "certain person" (I have been guilty of this is the past) I would remind myself that anyone who frequents this board has been guilty of "being wrong" or making a wrong assumption about a player, what JR should do next, or what's best for the team. I also would remind myself that without all the info at hand, we can only surmise why a certain player was signed, why the organization may think he will be a good fit for the team's style of play, how he might fit in the locker room, etc. If a certain person relies on the best info he or she has, whether it's a boxscore, stats, other message boards, talking to a friend, or whatever, to draw a conclusion I'm okay with that. However, I agree with anyone who has said let's give the player a chance to prove himself and see how this all unfolds before we jump ship as a terrible signing. Heck, the roster isn't complete yet. :)

Sorry Dad, can I borrow the car tonight? :) Point was, you would think someone would rely on different tactics to judge what a players impact may be after being wrong so many times prior.

There is an interview with AA on WRAL.

Sorry Dad, can I borrow the car tonight? :) Point was, you would think someone would rely on different tactics to judge what a players impact may be after being wrong so many times prior.

There is an interview with AA on WRAL.

Only if you learn to play nice with your friends son. :P Thanks for the link!

I agree that there is no way a Alberts-Wallin pairing should exist. That would just be terrible. They'd never get the puck out of the zone and would get destroyed on the forecheck.

If Seidenberg is signed, then I think the second and third pairings should be Pitkanen-Alberts and Wallin-Seidenberg. Alberts isn't a Top 4 defenseman, but it makes a lot more sense to pair him with Pitkanen than to have our two slowest defensemen paired together.

I agree that there is no way a Alberts-Wallin pairing should exist. That would just be terrible. They'd never get the puck out of the zone and would get destroyed on the forecheck.

If Seidenberg is signed, then I think the second and third pairings should be Pitkanen-Alberts and Wallin-Seidenberg. Alberts isn't a Top 4 defenseman, but it makes a lot more sense to pair him with Pitkanen than to have our two slowest defensemen paired together.

I have been quiet for a while but I want to state the obvious. We have a great coaching staff--with the input of a lot of "great minds". I am sure they will make sound decisions about who should be paired together, after they see them play together. That is why they get paid the big bucks, and we don't ! But we also need to see who we end up with when all the wheeling and dealing is done.

So. I was just watching the Sportcenter and noticed that Lamar Odom isn't signed to anyone at this point...so I say we just bring him over and and plug him into our defense. I'll called JR and tell him to get right on that.

I think they're are very few who've called this a terrible signing. The only way it'd be a terrible signing is if we overpaid for his abilities, and at the moment, he'd have to be really terrible to not earn this contract. The 2nd year, when he gets the raise, it'll be harder for him to earn that amount (assuming he plays like he has in the past), but still not a major overpayment.

I'll also say that while a lot of players have "resurrected" their careers here, there are others that have failed to do just that. Carter and Melichar are two off the top of my head. So while we should wait for a player to take the ice before condemning him, we should also wait before assuming his play will take a jump because of the "Carolina effect".

Sounds to me like he's got just as much trouble under pressure as Babchuk has. It's like I said before, this guy is Babchuk in every way, except he trades in Babchuk's shot for physical play. Which is favorable, if he turns out as planned.

If he has as many problems under pressure as Babchuk, he would be in the same place. Which is buying a one way ticket to Russia in hope of playing.

If he has as many problems under pressure as Babchuk, he would be in the same place. Which is buying a one way ticket to Russia in hope of playing.

As has been stated, Babchuk's not heading to Russia. He does that, he's not playing in the NHL again, which is something he wants to do. He's got a couple teams interested, the Rangers I know for sure. Is it so hard to believe that a 25-year old defenseman that scored 16 goals wouldn't have any trouble finding another team? Especially if he's only asking for 2 million, the amount he's hinted at.

I think they're are very few who've called this a terrible signing. The only way it'd be a terrible signing is if we overpaid for his abilities, and at the moment, he'd have to be really terrible to not earn this contract. The 2nd year, when he gets the raise, it'll be harder for him to earn that amount (assuming he plays like he has in the past), but still not a major overpayment.

I'll also say that while a lot of players have "resurrected" their careers here, there are others that have failed to do just that. Carter and Melichar are two off the top of my head. So while we should wait for a player to take the ice before condemning him, we should also wait before assuming his play will take a jump because of the "Carolina effect".

And likewise, very few here have suggested that the "Carolina effect" is expected, or our problems are completely solved with one defensive player signing.

As has been stated, Babchuk's not heading to Russia. He does that, he's not playing in the NHL again, which is something he wants to do. He's got a couple teams interested, the Rangers I know for sure. Is it so hard to believe that a 25-year old defenseman that scored 16 goals wouldn't have any trouble finding another team? Especially if he's only asking for 2 million, the amount he's hinted at.

I was curious where you heard the 2 mil asking price?

I was curious where you heard the 2 mil asking price?

From the interview posted around the boards here. He said he wanted more than the $1 million, and the interviewer asked what if they had offered $2 million.

It'd be about the kind of raise you'd expect him to get as well. If he does sign elsewhere, I expect a multi-year deal anywhere from the 1.7-2.4 million range.

From the interview posted around the boards here. He said he wanted more than the $1 million, and the interviewer asked what if they had offered $2 million.

It'd be about the kind of raise you'd expect him to get as well. If he does sign elsewhere, I expect a multi-year deal anywhere from the 1.7-2.4 million range.

Got a link to that?

Got a link to that?

http://www.canescountry.com/2009/7/13/948010/babchuk-wants-three-year-deal' target="_blank">http://www.canescountry.com/2009/7/13/9480...three-year-deal[/post]

I did some leg work for you this time. I'm home early since the Mets are down 11-0, I parked the car in the garage safe and sound, thanks again pops :lol: . He doesnt say he wants 2M but you shouldnt let the facts stand in the way of a good story.

The Pens gave Alex Goligoski a 3 year deal that averages ~$1.8 million. This would be very reasonable both for Babchuk and whatever team pays him.

http://www.canescountry.com/2009/7/13/948010/babchuk-wants-three-year-deal' target="_blank">http://www.canescountry.com/2009/7/13/9480...three-year-deal[/post]

I did some leg work for you this time. I'm home early since the Mets are down 11-0, I parked the car in the garage safe and sound, thanks again pops :lol: . He doesnt say he wants 2M but you shouldnt let the facts stand in the way of a good story.

I didn't say he said he wanted 2M. I said he hinted at it. Sometimes, especially when it comes to contract negotiations, you've got to read between the lines. The reporter asks about a 2 million dollar contract, and Babchuk essentially avoids the question. Why choose that number in the first place unless Babchuk or his agent had mentioned it?

I didn't say he said he wanted 2M. I said he hinted at it. Sometimes, especially when it comes to contract negotiations, you've got to read between the lines. The reporter asks about a 2 million dollar contract, and Babchuk essentially avoids the question. Why choose that number in the first place unless Babchuk or his agent had mentioned it?

or...... a good reporter trying to make a story out of nothing will throw out numbers trying to bait the agent into disclosing what he's really asking for. Or yeah, we can all assume the agent is asking for $2mil based on....hmm...the fact that the REPORTER SUGGESTED THAT NUMBER and the fact that it rained yesterday. :rolleyes:

Do you actually start believing the things you post like they're facts? You do know this is just a fan message board and you really arent anymore informed than the rest of us right?