The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Hurricanes Agree Terms with Andrew Alberts

or...... a good reporter trying to make a story out of nothing will throw out numbers trying to bait the agent into disclosing what he's really asking for. Or yeah, we can all assume the agent is asking for $2mil based on....hmm...the fact that the REPORTER SUGGESTED THAT NUMBER and the fact that it rained yesterday. :rolleyes:

Do you actually start believing the things you post like they're facts? You do know this is just a fan message board and you really arent anymore informed than the rest of us right?

Now that's funny right there! :lol:

or...... a good reporter trying to make a story out of nothing will throw out numbers trying to bait the agent into disclosing what he's really asking for. Or yeah, we can all assume the agent is asking for $2mil based on....hmm...the fact that the REPORTER SUGGESTED THAT NUMBER and the fact that it rained yesterday. :rolleyes:

Do you actually start believing the things you post like they're facts? You do know this is just a fan message board and you really arent anymore informed than the rest of us right?

Obviously the question is asked because the reporter is trying to get a definite number, and the question is blown off because the agent and Babs don't want to get locked into a number in case a team decides to overpay him (and overpayments never happen, right?).

Like I said, based off his play, the numbers he put up, his age, and the contracts of defensemen similar to him, 2 million is about what Babs should be making. His history with the KHL means he'll probably be offered less than that, probably about 1.5-1.7, but somewhere in that ballpark.

As for being more informed that the rest, it depends on how much research the rest do. Obviously, I don't have any inside connections, but the Internet and Center Ice can give you pretty much everything you need to know about a player. Find out about a player, get his history from the various hockey sites, watch him play a couple games on Center Ice, his styles, tendencies, etc, and then determine if he'd be a good fit with the team and how much he should be asking for.

So yes, I'd say in general, I'm more informed than most. That's not to say others can't do the same, I'm using resources available to everyone. I'm just assuming that the majority don't put the same kind of time and effort that I do.

So yes, I'd say in general, I'm more informed than most. That's not to say others can't do the same, I'm using resources available to everyone. I'm just assuming that the majority don't put the same kind of time and effort that I do.

No disrespect, but I think this is exactly where you get into trouble with most folks around here.

So I come back from vacation/camp counseling and we've signed Kostopoulos and Alberts! I like it...really do. Nothing too expensive, yet we get some real solid players who again can be moved up and down the lineup. JR, IMO, is really having another great summer. I just cannot wait till hockey season starts! Kostopoulos is extremely gritty...just what we need.

Now let's just get Ruutu signed and either keep Seids/or nab another top 5/6 Dman and we'll have ourselves set for this fall.

No disrespect, but I think this is exactly where you get into trouble with most folks around here.

Possibly, but I simply don't see that being wrong. If they had put in the same kind of time and effort, then they'll be able to come up with a better counterargument than "You think you're all that, but you're not!".

Notice I said the majority don't. Obviously, some have done their research and still disagree with me, and that's fine. People don't always see eye to eye. But I believe the majority get their information about a player from YouTube videos and NHL highlights after the player has already been signed.

i say a little bit of a ego ice frog?

Only if I'm wrong. If the majority of the boardgoers do about the same amount of research I do, then I'm being egotistical and I'm acting like a horse's behind. If they don't, I'm simply stating facts. But as I stated before, I don't believe the majority goes to that length.

Only if I'm wrong. If the majority of the boardgoers do about the same amount of research I do, then I'm being egotistical and I'm acting like a horse's behind. If they don't, I'm simply stating facts. But as I stated before, I don't believe the majority goes to that length.

You said it, not us. But the problem is, you think your never wrong and all your opinions are fact but truth be told, you get most of your "facts" from what you read over at the HF board and come post it here like its your own thoughts. Dont you think other people here might read other boards too. Its not hard to figure out who you are on other boards :rolleyes: .

Ever consider that people around here may have been following this sport a lot longer than you have and get their info from watching their teams long before the Canes existed? Probly not since you assume all knowledge can only come from current research. Your age is showing buddy, Im no older than you but I respect that others may have been following this sport longer than Ive known of its existence and may know more than me. Sit back buddy and maybe you'll learn a little more than you already know by listening to others. Unless you couldnt possibly ever be wrong and no one here could possibly know more than you do.

And btw, your not stating facts, just opinions based on numbers and what other people's opnions are. Dont fool yourself, its funny, but I really think you believe yourself.

You said it, not us. But the problem is, you think your never wrong and all your opinions are fact but truth be told, you get most of your "facts" from what you read over at the HF board and come post it here like its your own thoughts. Dont you think other people here might read other boards too. Its not hard to figure out who you are on other boards :rolleyes: .

Ever consider that people around here may have been following this sport a lot longer than you have and get their info from watching their teams long before the Canes existed? Probly not since you assume all knowledge can only come from current research. Your age is showing buddy, Im no older than you but I respect that others may have been following this sport longer than Ive known of its existence and may know more than me. Sit back buddy and maybe you'll learn a little more than you already know by listening to others. Unless you couldnt possibly ever be wrong and no one here could possibly know more than you do.

And btw, your not stating facts, just opinions based on numbers and what other people's opnions are. Dont fool yourself, its funny, but I really think you believe yourself.

Never have I claimed anything I found over at HFBoards as my own, always either saying "on other boards" or "news around the league". Unless, of course, it's stuff I myself posted on HFBoards and simply posted over here to get more opinions. I'd give full credit for anything I find if I could, however, the last time I linked to HFBoards, Ref deleted the links because he believed it was advertising for said boards. And what's the big deal about knowing who I am on other boards?

And yes, there are others who have been following the sport longer than I have and have a better knowledge of the sport/other teams/players than I have. For instance, I'd never disagree with anything TSA factually says about the Bruins, since he's got a better knowledge of that team (and other Boston teams) than I have. However, there's certain times when following a player/team longer doesn't mean jack. For instance, if Carolina suddenly picks up Petr Sykora, someone who's followed Jersey for a while may have great insight into Sykora's play during his tenure with the Devils. But considering he stopped playing there almost 10 seasons ago, it'd probably be better to judge what you're getting from his recent play on the Penguins.

Now, I admit I may have read too much into the Babchuk interview, but that doesn't mean that 2 million would be the ballpark asking price.

So I come back from vacation/camp counseling and we've signed Kostopoulos and Alberts! I like it...really do. Nothing too expensive, yet we get some real solid players who again can be moved up and down the lineup. JR, IMO, is really having another great summer. I just cannot wait till hockey season starts! Kostopoulos is extremely gritty...just what we need.

Now let's just get Ruutu signed and either keep Seids/or nab another top 5/6 Dman and we'll have ourselves set for this fall.

while you were away we got meanier and nastier, bigger to. Have always like Alberts and he was on my list of "boy i wish we could sign him".

Now, I admit I may have read too much into the Babchuk interview

There you are buddy, thats all you had to say in the first place. Its ok for other to be right and for you to be wrong sometimes. People will probly respect you more for admitting it.

Good work here.

I agree with coastal, and used to give a measure of respect for your observations, but if you think that someone else's level of research makes the difference between you stating facts and acting like an egotistical jerk, you need to step back and do some thinking. If you really are smart, you'll try to figure it out before someone comes along and explains it for you. I'll give you a hint - research makes you informed, not right. This is a hockey message board, not a court room. In short - get over yourself.