The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Kahz

Hurricanes sign Tom Kostopoulos

Seems to me that this would make a player like Conboy expendable. Eaves's contract is very reasonable and I still think he can play at a higher level we havent seen consistently yet. Of course Ive been an Eave's supporter all along but Conboy spent a chunck of last season and all of the playoffs in the press box. His one-way deal would be a waste of money this year.

Just saying...

Hmmmm...good point. Not trying to speak for others, but I assumed it would be Eaves heading out since he's likely worth more to other GMs than Conboy is for all of the reasons you pointed out.

Seems to me that this would make a player like Conboy expendable. Eaves's contract is very reasonable and I still think he can play at a higher level we havent seen consistently yet. Of course Ive been an Eave's supporter all along but Conboy spent a chunk of last season and all of the playoffs in the press box. His one-way deal would be a waste of money if he did the same this year.

Just saying...

Eaves has more trade value, which is why I think he's more likely to get moved. I'm guessing it'll be a package of Eaves/Babchuk (and, in my dreams, Kaberle) for a solid defenseman. Maybe Ehrhoff?

Hmmmm...good point. Not trying to speak for others, but I assumed it would be Eaves heading out since he's likely worth more to other GMs than Conboy is for all of the reasons you pointed out.

I think Eaves would definately be worth more too, I just said that because Kostopoulis looks like he would take Conboy's spot on the roster because he's tough but can also skate and kill penalties. It wouldnt make sense to keep two guys like him around.

Im not even trying to suggest that Conboy + whoever would get us a top 4 dman, just saying it makes no sense to carry 2 of these guys on the roster especially when one of them has a little more to offer.

I think Eaves would definately be worth more too, I just said that because Kostopoulis looks like he would take Conboy's spot on the roster because he's tough but can also skate and kill penalties. It wouldnt make sense to keep two guys like him around.

Im not even trying to suggest that Conboy + whoever would get us a top 4 dman, just saying it makes no sense to carry 2 of these guys on the roster especially when one of them has a little more to offer.

I hear you and you're right that it doesn't really make sense to have two guys playing almost the same roles. Maybe JR puts Conboy on waivers to send back to Albany once the season gets going and it becomes clear what we need and what we don't? Or maybe he keeps them both around as a little insulation for the rookies?

Seems to me that this would make a player like Conboy expendable. Eaves's contract is very reasonable and I still think he can play at a higher level we havent seen consistently yet. Of course Ive been an Eave's supporter all along but Conboy spent a chunk of last season and all of the playoffs in the press box. His one-way deal would be a waste of money if he did the same this year.

Just saying...

Agreed. Conboy has not trade value, but I wouldn't be surprised if JR puts him in on waivers and if no claims he plays in Albany. I know this sounds absurd for a team on a budget, but I don't see why we need two of these type guys and since the K guy can give you more than 3-4 minutes a night and play on the PK, I think Conboy becomes expendable.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Eaves isn't the guy being traded. I mean that's just too predictable and when has JR done anything predictable when it comes to trades. ;)

Conboy and "that guy" are not really equal. That guy has 20 points 3 of the last 4 years, so he's closer to a Bayda replacement than a Conboy replacement.

I can still see JR coming up with a way to move Kabs, but you have to think the buyout talk puts that on the agenda.

Agreed. Conboy has not trade value, but I wouldn't be surprised if JR puts him in on waivers and if no claims he plays in Albany. I know this sounds absurd for a team on a budget, but I don't see why we need two of these type guys and since the K guy can give you more than 3-4 minutes a night and play on the PK, I think Conboy becomes expendable.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Eaves isn't the guy being traded. I mean that's just too predictable and when has JR done anything predictable when it comes to trades. ;)

haha good point. No one saw Williams getting traded, no one saw Commodore and Stillman. But I think no one can deny Eaves and Babchuk are the best options. Eaves for whatever reason just doesn't play well here despite some flashes of his potential. He has the wicked wrist shot and I still think he could score 20+ a year, just not in Carolina. That makes him an appealing bite for some teams, plus he's cheap. Babchuk is less valuable because first off he doesn't have a contract and second he has proven to be a "problem child." He is horrendous at times in the defensive zone, but has the rocket shot and looks good on paper, so plenty of appeal there.

But then again what team is going to take a chance on Eaves being an impact player, AND taking the chance of hoping to sign Babchuk.

Doesn't seem likely at all now thinking about it. So you're probably right about unpredictable. I would still guess it involves one or the other though.

I wasn't too excited about this after watching a few fights on youtube.....

Wow, he just became a Cane and I already feel sorry for him after watching youtube. He gets absolutely pounded by the real enforcers, and just beat by other random opponents. Looks like Brookbank in those clips, but with skill.

I do not specifically remember Kostopoulos playing but I like the Ruutu'ish comments about his game, albeit without the scoring touch. I think he will certainly add some physical play and toughness that we need.

As far as who gets left out, I can't help but think something really strange is brewing. How much does Leighton hit on the cap? Is he now expendable with the signing of Peters? We all know Ward's back-up sees very little ice time.

I just don't think this is going to play out like everyone is predicting.

Wow, he just became a Cane and I already feel sorry for him after watching youtube. He gets absolutely pounded by the real enforcers, and just beat by other random opponents. Looks like Brookbank in those clips, but with skill.

Fighting is not his job, he only does because he is willing to protect his teammates and step up if no one else does.

While I think it's an upgrade for the position, I'm just hoping this is part of a bigger trade that'll soon come out. Hopefully it will be a Babchuck/Eaves trade for a D-Man....I'd really like to keep Bayda though.

Like I said, it's a good acquisition and upgrade, it's not filing a hole I hope to file

BUT...we'll pick up $ with the kabsbabs dump....

PLUS...i REALLY like the fact he has playoff experience for when we go deep again ;)

Yes he does. This seems a rather expensive replacement for Bayda (if in fact, he doesn't return) so I would assume we're looking to drop some salary at some point and like eggy said I see Eaves being the odd man out (in terms of forwards).

I do not specifically remember Kostopoulos playing but I like the Ruutu'ish comments about his game, albeit without the scoring touch. I think he will certainly add some physical play and toughness that we need.

As far as who gets left out, I can't help but think something really strange is brewing. How much does Leighton hit on the cap? Is he now expendable with the signing of Peters? We all know Ward's back-up sees very little ice time.

I just don't think this is going to play out like everyone is predicting.

No way Leighton is expendable just because Peters was signed. He is very cheap (.6 mil hit) and has NHL experience. He also has proven to be a winner at at least the AHL, where he won the Vezina equivalent there (best AHL goalie). Meanwhile Peters was signed to a 2 way contract, has NO NHL experience, and is even somewhat unproven in the AHL so far. So we aren't just going to trade Leighton and have Peters as the backup, unless Cam's gonna play 82 this year.

No way Leighton is expendable just because Peters was signed. He is very cheap (.6 mil hit) and has NHL experience. He also has proven to be a winner at at least the AHL, where he won the Vezina equivalent there (best AHL goalie). Meanwhile Peters was signed to a 2 way contract, has NO NHL experience, and is even somewhat unproven in the AHL so far. So we aren't just going to trade Leighton and have Peters as the backup, unless Cam's gonna play 82 this year.

Peters isn't that great, Murphy is the one to watch coming up. I think he will be Leighton's replacement next year if he can prove himself to be as effective in the AHL next year. The kid is pretty amazing.

Peters isn't that great, Murphy is the one to watch coming up. I think he will be Leighton's replacement next year if he can prove himself to be as effective in the AHL next year. The kid is pretty amazing.

Yeah so they say. I've heard a lot of good things about Murphy, but goaltending doesn't always translate from one level to the next so you never know. I'm really not a big fan of Leighton, cringe every time I see him in goal, but you have to admit it must be harder when you only play once every 20 games.

Don't underrate Peters, he isn't terrible, he just had no help last year in Albany. Peters will likely still be starting the majority of the games in the AHL for this year, where as Murphy will get more experience as a starter in the ECHL w/ Florida than being a backup to Peters in Albany. Next year, we probably let Leighton go if Peters shows he can win in the AHL, and bring Peters up as NHL backup and make Murphy our AHL starter.

Just saying...

I didn't see this one coming but as I was reading I was thinking the same as you. He sounds like a Conboy who can kill penalties.

So if Conboy is part of an upcoming trade I would guess someone who played alot of PK minutes last

year will go with him. I'm not sure it will be Eaves.

I do know one thing for certain. We have to give Kostopoulos a nickname.

Just saying...

I didn't see this one coming but as I was reading I was thinking the same as you. He sounds like a Conboy who can kill penalties.

So if Conboy is part of an upcoming trade I would guess someone who played alot of PK minutes last

I second that!!!

I think Conboy would just be a throw into any deal. His contract isnt too much to absorb for any team and he'd just be an extra piece in any potential trade. I agree about Eaves, if people are so willing to let him go because they think he's just an overachieving 4th liner, how much value would that get in return? The Canes know he can jump up to play on any line if we lose someone to injury and with his modest contract, that makes him valuable to the Canes. Im not convinced that Eaves is the deal clincher for a top 4 dman.

Again, this could just be me trying to justify Eaves playing here in Raleigh, I dont want to see the Canes give up on him yet.

"I do know one thing for certain. We have to give Kostopoulos a nickname. "

They called him "krusty" the clown (from the simpsons) in Montreal and someone else on here said non-stopoulous or somethin like that.