The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Kahz

Hurricanes sign Tom Kostopoulos

I think Conboy would just be a throw into any deal. His contract isnt too much to absorb for any team and he'd just be an extra piece in any potential trade. I agree about Eaves, if people are so willing to let him go because they think he's just an overachieving 4th liner, how much value would that get in return? The Canes know he can jump up to play on any line if we lose someone to injury and with his modest contract, that makes him valuable to the Canes. Im not convinced that Eaves is the deal clincher for a top 4 dman.

Again, this could just be me trying to justify Eaves playing here in Raleigh, I dont want to see the Canes give up on him yet.

I keep thinking Brindy. Sharks are looking for a 4th line center. All of a sudden Kostopoulos gives us

some options.

I think Conboy would just be a throw into any deal. His contract isnt too much to absorb for any team and he'd just be an extra piece in any potential trade. I agree about Eaves, if people are so willing to let him go because they think he's just an overachieving 4th liner, how much value would that get in return? The Canes know he can jump up to play on any line if we lose someone to injury and with his modest contract, that makes him valuable to the Canes. Im not convinced that Eaves is the deal clincher for a top 4 dman.

Again, this could just be me trying to justify Eaves playing here in Raleigh, I dont want to see the Canes give up on him yet.

I keep thinking Brindy. Sharks are looking for a 4th line center. All of a sudden Kostopoulos gives us

some options.

Peters isn't that great, Murphy is the one to watch coming up. I think he will be Leighton's replacement next year if he can prove himself to be as effective in the AHL next year. The kid is pretty amazing.

For whatever reason...never felt comfortable with leights...not writing him off by ANY means...just made the kitty .02 richer...my economic stimulus.

some options.

Wow never even thought of him. Kind of always thought of Brind'Amour as untouchable to Rutherford. But now I remember how he made a point to say "Staal and Ward are the only untouchable players at this point" at the end of the season interviews, so...

That would be a hell of shocker.

Wow never even thought of him. Kind of always thought of Brind'Amour as untouchable to Rutherford. But now I remember how he made a point to say "Staal and Ward are the only untouchable players at this point" at the end of the season interviews, so...

That would be a hell of shocker.

Indeed it would. I still doubt it would happen, but if we sent a package of Brindy + Eaves + Babchuk, we'd probably be able to get one of the following returns:

-Ehrhoff + a prospect or semi-skilled forward (Mitchell?)

-Vlasic

-Michalek

The first two would solve our need for a good defenseman, while Michalek would give Staal a speedy, sizable winger.

Or (and this is probably more likely), I could be tripping and overestimating the value of Brind'Amour, Eaves, and Babchuk.

I had a chance to read the Habs board and it looks like we have ourselves quite a pick up. From what they're saying he sounds like a less skilled Ruutu, a more skilled Conboy and has the heart and drive of LaRose. The biggest asset they claim he has is his character and locker room presence, which will come in very handy as our veteran leaders end their time in Raleigh.

All these compliments are coming from a fanbase who can be very critical of their own players. Sounds pretty good to me.

I had a chance to read the Habs board and it looks like we have ourselves quite a pick up. From what they're saying he sounds like a less skilled Ruutu, a more skilled Conboy and has the heart and drive of LaRose. The biggest asset they claim he has is his character and locker room presence, which will come in very handy as our veteran leaders end their time in Raleigh.

All these compliments are coming from a fanbase who can be very critical of their own players. Sounds pretty good to me.

Exactly, if Montreal fans don't criticize him, he's gotta be an asset.

This improves our 4th line a lot and gives us some PK depth.

This likely means that Eaves could be on his way out and it certainly will spur some rumors around the league about Eaves/Kabs/Babs and maybe even some others. We need one more defenseman and then I think we can call up one of Carson/Rodney/Borer to fill the 3 pairing. Then we'd have a 4th line of 3 of Kostopoulos/Bayda/Conboy/Walker/Jussi. That gives us a 4th line of grit, physicality and some scoring punch.

This improves our 4th line a lot and gives us some PK depth.

This likely means that Eaves could be on his way out and it certainly will spur some rumors around the league about Eaves/Kabs/Babs and maybe even some others. We need one more defenseman and then I think we can call up one of Carson/Rodney/Borer to fill the 3 pairing. Then we'd have a 4th line of 3 of Kostopoulos/Bayda/Conboy/Walker/Jussi. That gives us a 4th line of grit, physicality and some scoring punch.

This is just my opinion, but I think that it's more likely we'll see Brindy on the 4th line than Jussi.

That could be, but at the same time I don't see Jussi as a 4th line player either. I'd love to see him get a shot as a 3rd line winger if he can keep scoring like he did in the playoffs. Also I'm willing to give Brindamour the benefit of the doubt on this one. He was terrible early in the year and in the playoffs, but he showed us all something at the end of the year with 20 pts in 17 games. I'd love to see him get a full offseason being 100% and see what he can bring next year.

That could be, but at the same time I don't see Jussi as a 4th line player either. I'd love to see him get a shot as a 3rd line winger if he can keep scoring like he did in the playoffs. Also I'm willing to give Brindamour the benefit of the doubt on this one. He was terrible early in the year and in the playoffs, but he showed us all something at the end of the year with 20 pts in 17 games. I'd love to see him get a full offseason being 100% and see what he can bring next year.

We rarely used Jussi as a fourth line winger last year, he had his shot and took advantage of it, particularly in the playoffs.

Don't expect him to win any fights... I went to Hockeyfights.com and he lost everyone last year. I watched a few of them and he got his clock cleaned in most of them.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/555/fightcard/reg2009''>http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/555/fightcard/reg2009' target="_blank">http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/555/fightcard/reg2009[/post]

See, just like a more skilled Conboy, ;)

Anyone close to playing with Rosey's energy that can loosen up the room will quickly become a fan favorite. Several of us have suggested some new faces wouldn't be objectionable. We just replaced Bayda with a new face. I have always liked Ryan but let's welcome our newest Cane.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Samsonov as a potential piece of a trade. Atleast with Eaves, he can supply grit and kill penalties when he doesn't score. Samsonov, however, is essentially invisible when he doesn't score. Also add to the fact that Samsonov takes nearly double the salary off of the books for next season and he starts to look a little more expendable. Samsonov also has additional value as he could be a legitimate top-six forward for a few teams out there.

Seems like most everyone is happy about this signing. I wasn't expecting us to sign a winger when we desperately need D, but if it opens up trade options with several of the aforementioned players to drop salary and bring in a top 4 D man then by all means.. good move.

Perhaps a LaRose - Brindamour - Jokinen / Kostopoulous - Sutter - Walker 3rd and fourth line? I would say the 1st and second line is pretty locked up as Staal/Whitney/Cole and Samsonov/Ruutu/Cullen.. but who knows how they will play around with them.

If he hits nearly as hard as Ruutu and has an engine like Rosey... man how can that be bad?

I think this is only the start of something. If J.R. thinks that Ruutu is only going to be a 1 year deal, is he ready to sign the deal and then deal Ruutu and or somebody else for defensive help? TK wouldn't be the replacement for Ruutu but would be a physical component. Then J.R. would maybe try to sign somebody like Tanguay who is still available.

Just thinking because I have no life.

Actually that has been mentioned but I got dizzy trying to find it on the "GM" thread. So how do you replace our fifth leading scorer in both the regular and postseason, and he played almost the entire schedule free from injury. Sammy aint goin nowhere.

Sounds like, after reading this thread, this guy is a great pickup for the 4th line. Since he is more of a prototypical 4th liner, it does hint at a future trade involving someone who might end up on the 4th line who really has no business there. This morning on the radio JR said Babchuk is basically gone, and specifically said, "this is not posturing." JR might just read these boards! Of course it still might be posturing, but it really sounds like JR is utterly fed up with Babs so look for him to go along with someone. Most seem to think Eaves, but I can't help wondering how much trade value he really has after failing to put up points here. It makes more sense to keep Eaves and hope he breaks out.

Brind'Amour? Look, the guy is a Hall of Famer and brought so much to the franchise, but if we could move him in a way that he was ok with, it could be good for all parties. I'm telling you he had lost a step before the injury. He has so much skill that he could be a marginal 3rd liner, but if he could bring something in return? Do it.

Sammy may have some value, though I hate to see him go.

Shows how any move for any new player helps keep things interesting. Now go get that first line winger!

Actually that has been mentioned but I got dizzy trying to find it on the "GM" thread. So how do you replace our fifth leading scorer in both the regular and postseason, and he played almost the entire schedule free from injury. Sammy aint goin nowhere.

Nope, I don't think he is either. He almost single-handedly beat Boston in the 2nd round. If a good playoff performance is enough to get Jussi a contract, it should be enough to keep Sammy here at least through his contract.

I'm liking what the Habs are saying about our pickup though. Everybody here is right, if hes good enough for the Habs' fans, hes good enough for me.

I'm a little surprised at the positive reaction to this signing. I was underwhelmed myself. Looked to me like we just brought in another fungible 3rd/4th liner type, something we already had a surplus of.

I'm a little surprised at the positive reaction to this signing. I was underwhelmed myself. Looked to me like we just brought in another fungible 3rd/4th liner type, something we already had a surplus of.

ha, yeah, i kinda was too. I feel like it is an upgrade over some we have at the position but I also feel like everyone was saying we had an Abundance of Forwards and needed defense....

I like the experience and toughness aspect....but yeah, hopefully a good % of people on the board right now are right, and this is part of a bigger picture trade for some defensive talent