The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Kahz

Hurricanes sign Tom Kostopoulos

If K-Stop(sorry, but he is going to need a simpler knickname)can grind it out along the boards and in the corners, knock some guys off their skates and poke in a few goals, it could only be an asset. Some more toughness on O and a trade for a big, solid d-man could give the Canes the ability to dictate the physical play instead of reacting to it. It's not a blockbuster move, but I feel positive about it. Any takers on how Chuck K is going to mis-pronounce his name?

"Ohhhhh, what a shot by Kosto.....Kotsopo.......Snuffleupagus!"

"Ohhhhh, what a shot by Kosto.....Kotsopo.......Snuffleupagus!"

:lol:

I think this is the time to let Eaves go. He has not really done much, except make a few hits once in a while and knocked in a couple of gimmie-goals (all goals are good, I know). I thnk he is a cool guy, from what I have heard/read... and he is physical, but Tom Kostopoulos seems to have a more successful dose of those qualities. A Chad Ruutu sounds really good to me... it would be like a Jussi Samsonov or Eric Brind'Amour.

Speaking of Sammy, I really don't think he is a good option for trading. I have to agree with people who said that teams are weary of getting a less productive and happy Samsonov (the chicago/montreal/oiler version) instead of the top five points leader that we all know and love. The benefits of keeping him outway the those of trading him. He does fulfill a role that no one else on the roster - he is someone who makes players around him more productive. He also is mesmerizing with the puck, causing the holes and unbalanced defenses that allow the other Canes to take advantage and score. It has been noted that he did take it to another level against the toughest opponent they faced in the playoffs - Boston. He's good in a shoot-out, a slick puck-handler and has really impressed me with his defensive skills lately. He is actually pretty good at backchecking and knocking pucks loose (to make up for his lack in size). Along with the afore-mentioned fact that he is consistantly healthy, I think he is too valuable to move. I get the idea that you have to "spend money to make money" but I would rather have Sammy and move up Borer, Rodney, Casey, or McBain... than give away such a talented forward and babchuk's rights to gain someone who might not even work out/gell with the team. We know Samsonov works.

I have to disagree with the idea that Jokinen can replace Samsonov's role - Jussi is fantastic, but he can't move the puck like Sergei or disrupt the defense with a stick-show like Sammy. Whitney is the only guy who is even close to that kind of finesse.

*sigh*

Just...another...gritty forward. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I wouldn't like it necessarily, but!

Thinking about our forwards, nearly ALL of them, and remembering what's been talked about them through seasons, it comes all down to this: "Scroing isn't everything, they're doing well bringing a lot of effort, skating hard, working hard, leaving it all out on the ice..." and so on. Well, knowing that this is an important part of the game, and that there is a lot to mention way beyond scoring on a guy having a good or bad game, I admit that Kostopoulos is a good guy that can bring a lot to this team. But on the other hand, there IS something like scoring, and we badly felt that during the last season, where we very often just weren't able to score more than 1 goal.

So for now...don't we have a really big bunch of players who are just "working hard, putting great effort" and so on, but simply don't show any big numbers? Cole, Rosey, Walker, Eaves, Brindy, Cullen Bayda, Helminen...even Ruutu is that type of player (despite the fact he managed to score 50+ points last season). Same goes for Samsonov, who doesn't score, but just works hard on every shift (as he is always defended by most of the fans in here when people start talking about his lacking scoring ability). The only guys really scoring on this team are Whitney and Staal, and even Staal has shown problems in consistency and his numbers are way below expectations. But guess what, whenever someone shows up critizising him for that, people start with "he played very well, scoring isn't everything, he put great effort..." and so on.

*rolleyes*

So, don't get me wrong. I like players working hard, and I'm standing on everyones side when it comes to the things that have to be done besides scoring. But looking at this team, remembering last season, and all the talks we had here on the forums...is another blue-colored guy without the ability to score really what this team needed?

With all that being said, I hope that this is just the base of a possible trade, moving one or another forward like Eaves to make some room for our promising forward prospects (Bowman, Boychuck), or to free up cap space and trade for a high scoring forward to help us out. Because at least Kostopoulos is a 4th liner at a much more reasonable price than e.g. Walker and Eaves.

OK, first off, if Kostopoulos remains a Cane, learn his name. Period.

Second, the Brindy take is interesting and is a possibility (JR's comments about Staal and Ward, as someone else already pointed out in this thread), but Brindy has done too much for this franchise to be traded unless he was okay with it. He's still our captain and the heart and soul of the team. But, I'll be honest, those aren't the main reasons I'm against a trade involving him. Ray's comments about Rod in his exit interview with the media was very telling. He was pretty adamant that he believes 100% that Rod has a mission ahead of him this coming season to prove to everyone that he still has "it" and there is no one else in the league with the level of determination Rod possesses. I want to see what happens because I believe he will shut us all up in 09-10.

Third, Sammy, although he might be more attractive tradebait to some teams than is Eaves, and yes I'll somewhat agree that Sammy can disappear offensively for stretches, he is consistently defensively responsible and even when he's not scoring, he's opening up the ice for other players in the offensive zone. Sammy stays. He's OUR reclamation project!

I never (rarely) want to see a player leave or get traded or go unsigned, but I think Eaves' time here is up. For whatever reason (insert your own here) things just haven't worked out here for him and I think it's just one of those times when a certain player just doesn't do as well with a certain team. Think, Belanger with us and then with Minnesota, or Cole with us and Edmonton. Eaves is young and deserves a bigger shot somewhere else. I'd much rather see him stay in Raleigh and find some success, but it doesn't look likely.

*sigh*

Just...another...gritty forward. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I wouldn't like it necessarily, but!

Thinking about our forwards, nearly ALL of them, and remembering what's been talked about them through seasons, it comes all down to this: "Scroing isn't everything, they're doing well bringing a lot of effort, skating hard, working hard, leaving it all out on the ice..." and so on. Well, knowing that this is an important part of the game, and that there is a lot to mention way beyond scoring on a guy having a good or bad game, I admit that Kostopoulos is a good guy that can bring a lot to this team. But on the other hand, there IS something like scoring, and we badly felt that during the last season, where we very often just weren't able to score more than 1 goal.

So for now...don't we have a really big bunch of players who are just "working hard, putting great effort" and so on, but simply don't show any big numbers? Cole, Rosey, Walker, Eaves, Brindy, Cullen Bayda, Helminen...even Ruutu is that type of player (despite the fact he managed to score 50+ points last season). Same goes for Samsonov, who doesn't score, but just works hard on every shift (as he is always defended by most of the fans in here when people start talking about his lacking scoring ability). The only guys really scoring on this team are Whitney and Staal, and even Staal has shown problems in consistency and his numbers are way below expectations. But guess what, whenever someone shows up critizising him for that, people start with "he played very well, scoring isn't everything, he put great effort..." and so on.

*rolleyes*

So, don't get me wrong. I like players working hard, and I'm standing on everyones side when it comes to the things that have to be done besides scoring. But looking at this team, remembering last season, and all the talks we had here on the forums...is another blue-colored guy without the ability to score really what this team needed?

With all that being said, I hope that this is just the base of a possible trade, moving one or another forward like Eaves to make some room for our promising forward prospects (Bowman, Boychuck), or to free up cap space and trade for a high scoring forward to help us out. Because at least Kostopoulos is a 4th liner at a much more reasonable price than e.g. Walker and Eaves.

Agree with everything you say. But I think JRs hand was forced here because of how all the teams around us are suddenly bulking up and becoming tougher. Philly and Toronto in particular but also Boston, Tampa. If we dont get some toughness we will get dominated this year IMO.

And I think its pretty obvious, JR is looking to make some type of trade. If so, I wonder if that means Seidenberg is out?

The best possible situation for this franchise to be in is one where they aren't forced to have one of their top prospects play in the NHL this season. Let players like Bowman, Boychuk, McBain, and Sutter have a year in the AHL to mature and build chemistry with one another. Allow them to prove they can contribute consistently at the AHL level before you start to load NHL responsibility onto their shoulders. Babchuk, Eaves, and whatever else Rutherford wants to deal should strictly be used to clear cap space and acquire another defenseman.

I guess I'll wait until everything plays out, but I'm not really liking the direction this is going. Just not really the kind of "character" I appreciate, from what I've seen... I'll be sorry to see whoever ends up leaving go.

Good pick up with limited cost. I will refrain from making any other previously stated comments other than a larger trade is likely within a couple weeks.

I'm a little surprised at the positive reaction to this signing. I was underwhelmed myself. Looked to me like we just brought in another fungible 3rd/4th liner type, something we already had a surplus of.

Yes, but, we will be paying him as a 4th liner and not a top 9 guy. We currently have a 4th line paid as top 9 guys.

I think one of the important aspects of this signing is that we have a guy that plays like Walker. With Walker's concussion woes last year and age I think TK gives us added grit to relieve some of the enforcement load that Walker carried. Furthermore, it keeps Gleason from having to play that role like he did last year when Walker was out.

Nice quotes from Tom Kostopoulis himself in the N & O blog this morning if you didnt catch it:

Kostopoulos happy to be a Cane

Submitted by chipalexander on 07/15/2009 - 08:37

Tom Kostopoulos said he's excited -- about moving to Raleigh, about being a part of the Carolina Hurricanes.

"Everything I've heard about the organization is that it's a great organization that treats its players very well," the veteran forward said this morning. "I understand it's a beautiful place to live, where everyone is so friendly and the fans are great.

"And it's an exciting team. It was probably the most exciting team to watch in the playoffs last season."

Kostopoulos had a brief taste of the 2009 playoffs with the Montreal Canadiens, who were swept by the Boston Bruins in the opening round. He then watched as the Canes first finished off the New Jersey Devils in the opening round, then fought past the top-seeded Bruins in another seven-game Eastern Conference series.

"Carolina has the best goaltender in the league (Cam Ward) and a fun team," he said.

Kostopoulos, who signed a three-year contract Tuesday, once played with Canes defensemen Tim Gleason and Joe Corvo while with the L.A. Kings, so he's anxious to catch up with them again. He's also anxious to get into the Canes' lineup and do what he said he does best -- play with a tough, physical edge.

"I think I'm a hard worker," he said. "I try to work hard every day and never take a day off. The Hurricanes have always been a hard-working team, so I think that should work out well.

"There's nothing flashy about my game. I just work hard and play a physical game."

That's what the Canes want and need.

"They seemed interested in me right off the bat and that was a big key for me," he said. "Both parties wanted it done."

Nice quotes from Tom Kostopoulis himself in the N & O blog this morning if you didnt catch it:

Tom Kostopoulos said he's excited -- about moving to Raleigh, about being a part of the Carolina Hurricanes.

"Everything I've heard about the organization is that it's a great organization that treats its players very well," the veteran forward said this morning. "I understand it's a beautiful place to live, where everyone is so friendly and the fans are great.

"And it's an exciting team. It was probably the most exciting team to watch in the playoffs last season."

Kostopoulos had a brief taste of the 2009 playoffs with the Montreal Canadiens, who were swept by the Boston Bruins in the opening round. He then watched as the Canes first finished off the New Jersey Devils in the opening round, then fought past the top-seeded Bruins in another seven-game Eastern Conference series.

"Carolina has the best goaltender in the league (Cam Ward) and a fun team," he said.

Kostopoulos, who signed a three-year contract Tuesday, once played with Canes defensemen Tim Gleason and Joe Corvo while with the L.A. Kings, so he's anxious to catch up with them again. He's also anxious to get into the Canes' lineup and do what he said he does best -- play with a tough, physical edge.

"I think I'm a hard worker," he said. "I try to work hard every day and never take a day off. The Hurricanes have always been a hard-working team, so I think that should work out well.

"There's nothing flashy about my game. I just work hard and play a physical game."

"They seemed interested in me right off the bat and that was a big key for me," he said. "Both parties wanted it done."

I really like the fact that for someone who is supposed to be a "character" guy and pump up the energy in the locker room, the fact that he already knows Corvo and Gleason and can get that rapport going immediately.

I know it could all be media baloney, but I really like when a new player compliments the organization and the fans. He's saying all the right things so let's hope that translates into doing the right things on the ice.

Oh Tom...don't you know Wardo is only average at best?

This guy is going to be an instant fan-favorite! I can't wait to see him play. Welcome to the team, community, and most importantly welcome to the Caniac Nation, Mr. Kostopoulos! LETS GO CANES!

as a Canadiens fan I am happy to see someone picked up Tom the Bomb

One of the first games he played for the Canadiens he coughed the puck up to Jason Spezza who scored the game winning goal. When asked the next night how he felt about it Tom told the reporter he felt bad and would do everything he could to not let it happen again

and trust me he didn't :)

Never takes a night off and never backs down

with the right line mates you could have a very good checking line this up coming season.

Good luck Tom and thank you :)

"Non-Stopoulos" is a great nickname. But if others are so inclined, "TomKos" will work just fine I do believe - at least for message board typing purposes.

He hasnt won many fights (if any) from the looks of it.. but I'm sure if he were to win one, or even give a guy a good showing before folding, the TKO nickname would probably come out since some people have already dubbed him that. Or a hard hit, since I'd rather him lay a clean nasty hit then drop the gloves, even though he is willing to.

I do like Non-Stop-Oulous though.. plays on the pronunciation of his name and hints at his work ethic which is pretty good from all accounts.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

The only evidence I can find of him winning a fight. Not that it matters. Fighting isn't about winning or losing, it's about changing momentum.

True that.. and like some people have said, he's not a fighter.. but he's willing to do so to protect a teammate... that's the kind of guy who will be loved in the locker room... Staal gets in a shoving match and then a couple shifts later Kostopoulos drops the gloves... instant teammate winner.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

The only evidence I can find of him winning a fight. Not that it matters. Fighting isn't about winning or losing, it's about changing momentum.

just ask daniel carcillo and max talbot.