The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
tsugatsuga

From Raleigh to Albany:We love the Rats

Wouldn't it be great if the River Rats can play one AHL game at the RBC every year?

I am sure the players would enjoy it. With proper promotion and good turnout, we

can show proper appreciation of the effort they are putting in. Not to mention helping

out the bottom line of the Rats.

there is only one problem with that, the river rats don't start to "form" until after we have made final cuts here and sometimes that doesn't happen until the day before the season starts. It would also have to be allowed in the CBA but with the NHLPA already telling their member not to go to the Olympic training camps then they might also have issues with this idea.

I wouldn't be opposed to a game or two at the RBC sometime during the season, after all the preseason complications are settled. I would love to be able to see our farm team play and cheer them on as I do with the Canes. Interesting idea, it would be nice.

What would be even better would be to have them move to Greensboro and play in the Coliseum. That way, they would be in close proximity to the big club and Triangle area 'Canes fans would get to see them play after only a short hour-hour and a half drive. That building has been lacking a hockey team for entirely too long. The Monarchs were a huge draw for an ECHL club back in the day. Interest kind of died off after the team changed back to the Generals and eventually, they folded. I believe, however, that the area could and would support an AHL club, especially if it were the Hurricanes' farm club. Just my $.02.

If you go to the preseason games, you will definitely see a lot of them play, especially in the red-white game. I can't see them ever playing a game down here...it is an interesting idea though. Maybe during the all-star break - but I'm guessing the NHLPA or someone would raise a fit. Based on some rumblings a few months ago, we may be done with Albany next year, and I believe the rumors were that we were looking at Charlotte, so there's hope for the future (unless, of course, you live in Albany).

If you go to the preseason games, you will definitely see a lot of them play, especially in the red-white game. I can't see them ever playing a game down here...it is an interesting idea though. Maybe during the all-star break - but I'm guessing the NHLPA or someone would raise a fit. Based on some rumblings a few months ago, we may be done with Albany next year, and I believe the rumors were that we were looking at Charlotte, so there's hope for the future (unless, of course, you live in Albany).

<sandpiper puts her fingers in her ears>

la la la la la la la....I'm not listening to any of that

The won't put an AHL team in Charlotte for the simple fact that no other AHL teams exist in close proximity. This is minor leauge sports we are talking about and no parent organization is going to want to pay the travel expenses, especially a small market team with an eye on the bottom line.

The won't put an AHL team in Charlotte for the simple fact that no other AHL teams exist in close proximity. This is minor leauge sports we are talking about and no parent organization is going to want to pay the travel expenses, especially a small market team with an eye on the bottom line.

They do have two teams in Texas, so I guess there may be other factors that come into play. Who knows what will happen. As far as I'm concerned, I hope they stay with Albany.

Man and ya'll get so upset when a Leaf fan or a Habs fan talks about the Canes and disbanding them however you all feel free to openly discuss trying to move the Rats here from Albany and steal them away from thier fans. Wow.... This is an ally fanbase not an enemy...

Treat those the way you want to be treated. Somewhere that went out the door.

I think the only way this would work would be to do it as a sort of doubleheader with a Canes game. Otherwise, I don't think you'd get more than a couple thousand coming out to watch an Albany-Manchester game, even if it was on a weekend.

In a similar vein, I'd love to see the Canes try a doubleheader with a couple of the local college teams. They already use them for those shootouts during the intermissions. New Year's Eve would be the perfect time IMO. A lot of people stick around after the Canes game ends. Why not have NCSU and UNC stage a game. I think it'd be great.

I like Warbird's idea. Stage it around a Canes game, the New Years Eve one would be perfect. I also like getting the local college hockey teams involved. That gives them some exposure and strengthens ties between their university AD dept's and the Canes'. I know if a double header of Canes and then NCSU/UNC were to go happen I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Man and ya'll get so upset when a Leaf fan or a Habs fan talks about the Canes and disbanding them however you all feel free to openly discuss trying to move the Rats here from Albany and steal them away from thier fans. Wow.... This is an ally fanbase not an enemy...

Treat those the way you want to be treated. Somewhere that went out the door.

What "stealing"? It was mentioned in an N&O post that was discussed http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20122' target="_blank">here[/post] that the affiliation may not last. And changing affiliation and moving the team are two very different things. Even if the first happens, it's no guarantee of the second. The Rats are owned by people in Albany, not the Canes. Teams change affiliations all the time. And after almost 20 years they have a solid, proven fanbase there - I don't think they have to worry about the Rats moving any more than the Canes.

Folks have been insinuating moving the entire team to Charlotte

It's a good idea.

Swap spots with the NYR.

Make Charlotte the Canes AHL affiliate and Albany the Rangers ECHL affiliate.

It would instantly help with attendance in both places, as the parent clubs would then be much closer, naturally generating more interest (and attendance) for the farm team.

Of course, if you're in Albany, you don't want to move down to the ECHL, and you don't want the big upcoming rivalry with Glen Falls ruined, but hey - I'm in NC. ;)

In response to the distance of Charlotte from other AHL teams - there are 3 teams in TX now, and it's not that much farther south than Norfolk.

See the new Abbotsford Heat. Although, I agree that no ownership group is going to foot the bill for travel around here.

I wouldn't be worried about the NHLPA considering other AHL teams play "away" home games like this. The Rats actually played a game in Buffalo last year against the Sabres affiliate the Portland Pirates. And this season the Pirates are playing two games in Buffalo.