The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mluther9

Ruutu Re-signed (confirmed)

Awesome news...I love how many of us are now going to get Ruutu jerseys lol. But the guy really is a great assest to this team...we need him to keep us physical.

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuu

Great news... I don't care about the money.. the 3 years is the key. Would have hated to see him sign or get granted the one year, only to immediately be traded.

JR has talked about going above the budget a little bit to get the "right guy" so I'm sure by year 3 with our cushion and some other moves that are bound to happen we will be able to afford the 4.4 and still be well below the cap. Someone will leave next year as a UFA I'm sure.. you can't resign them all.. someone will get offered a kings ransom like Commodore did.. that's the nature of the beast.

Welcome back Tuomo!! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I would've been more on board for a $3 million, $3.5 million, and $4 million escalator contract.

Samehere, but JR did have to buy 2 years of Free Agency. Usually when you are buying into a players free agency time, the price goes up.

How so?

Because it will save a lot of money we just spent.

Great signing, I love Ruutu and love that we get to have him around for 3 more years. He's making first line money and I think they must have decided that last year wasn't just a career year for him and he will continue to get better. Though he stands to make a lot (I was really hoping for more like $3-3.5 million per year but I guess that is the price you pay to keep him away from UFA next year), I think he is definitely fit to be a Staal's first line winger for the next 3 years. I think a great top line consists of the Banger with goal scoring skills (Ruutu) the Sniper/Power Forward (Staal) and the Playmaker. Whitney will do for the Playmaker position next year and hopefully next off-season once we lose Whitney we can pick up an amazing passer/playmaker or who knows maybe Boychuk/Bowman will develop into this role. If Brind'Amour doesn't have a serious comeback year to make it back to second-line center I really think he is too much of a competitor and has too much pride to play the 3rd/4th lines for the next two years. I would expect he would retire and take a position similar to what Francis did in the front-office. That would also free up a ton of cash.

I would guess that this move probably also solidifies Kaberle's buyout.

Ruuu-hooo! What a great day to be a Hurricanes fan. I've been sweating bullets over this one. I'm glad I don't have to retire my #15 jersey. I hope he maintains or exceeds in the next 3 years (or longer). I also hope it doesn't go to his head, but have no reason to think it would. But the season after Staal got his big contract, he seemed to have more off nights than on nights.

I just hope Cole isn't too jealous about his salary vs Ruutu's.

I guess this postpones our discussion concerning if and when we would trade Rutuu for at least 2 years. We all seem delighted we have signed him as am I. Now lets go get that Dman.

Thankfully, we'll never know what would have happened on a 1 year deal.

The way the salary breaks down, the 4.4 looks like a big number. If it was 3.8 mil for 3 years, would we all be questioning the dollars? It works out the same but we get some room this season.

Ruuu-hooo! What a great day to be a Hurricanes fan. I've been sweating bullets over this one. I'm glad I don't have to retire my #15 jersey. I hope he maintains or exceeds in the next 3 years (or longer). I also hope it doesn't go to his head, but have no reason to think it would. But the season after Staal got his big contract, he seemed to have more off nights than on nights.

I just hope Cole isn't too jealous about his salary vs Ruutu's.

Considering Cole accepted a pay cut to stay with the team, and no other teams showed much interest during the FA period, I would think Cole is happy to be lacing the skates up for a team, period.. regardless of what he's making. Ruutu had to get big money to prevent leaving the team as a free agent next year.

Ruutu is still getting less money then Staal (6.0), Pitkanen (4.0), Whitney (3.55) and Ward (3.5) and is making equal money to Brindamour (3.0). Cole is at 2.8 this year and 3.0 next, so he's not getting a whole lot less then Ruu, 200k this year, 1mil next year. He also was making 4.0/per the last 3 years, so he's been getting paid. He's with the Canes now for a lower price because he wants to be with the Canes. I don't see why he would be jealous since he accepted the deal.

Next year will be tough when Whitney/Walker/Cullen/Corvo/Wallin all hit UFA (+Kaberle, but assuming he's already gone) with a lower cap, several of those guys will probably hit the road. Whitney will probably get offered big money for his 50+ assists. Probably several guys from Albany come up as rookies next year to fill holes.

Regardless I think this is a great deal... glad to have #15 back with us.

Way to go JR!! I'm glad he is locked down for 3 years. IMO he will continue to get better. He played in 79 games last year and I think if he stays healthy the production will go up. Bring it Ruuuuuuuutuuuuuu!!

The way the salary breaks down, the 4.4 looks like a big number. If it was 3.8 mil for 3 years, would we all be questioning the dollars? It works out the same but we get some room this season.

That appears to be the key. I think it is a good deal.

That appears to be the key. I think it is a good deal.

Welcome back Tuomo!! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUTUUU!

JR got exactly what he wanted... and I am happy for both sides of the deal. It was great to turn on my 'puter this morning to see that he was locked up for 3 YEARS! I really didn't expect the whole 3 that JR wanted... but, hey, that works! Now, get Seids for a one season contract and tell him that the money he wanted this offseason will be there in the next if he continues to improve...

3 mil for this year makes sense.....but that 4 mil is a bit of overpayment but not enough to make me upset. Right now I just hope he does something 4 mil worth this season.

I'm excited. I always doubt JR and then eat crow every time. I'm slowly learning to trust again haha. Great news, I really might be like everyone else and pick me out a black jersey, glad I didn't get the Babchuk one last year :huh:

A bit of an overpayment, but as long as he stays healthy, it'll work out.

That's my only concern. He missed a lot of time in Chicago with injuries, and I hope he doesn't become the new Justin Williams.

Ruutu states when asked about playing in Carolina ..... " but the main reason was that I really enjoyed being there. I like the city, I like the fans and I like playing in that organization. I don

That's my only concern. He missed a lot of time in Chicago with injuries, and I hope he doesn't become the new Justin Williams.

Ruutu has played 5 seasons in the league and other than 05-06 (15 games) he has not played less than 71 games in a season. I think we can live with that.

Ruutu has played 5 seasons in the league and other than 05-06 (15 games) he has not played less than 71 games in a season. I think we can live with that.

He has had 3 knee surgeries in his career though. He's not "injury-prone", in the same way that Gaborik or Havlat are, but injuries are a concern.