The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mluther9

Ruutu Re-signed (confirmed)

GREAT news! The boys are back in town basically. Though we did pick up some more size and physicality around the edges.

Ruutu is a key player, especially on a team that is trying to get more physical. He also brings an infectious attitude along with a considerable skill set. Next to Staal and Whitney, Ruutu is the next most important forward on the team. Locking him up for 3 years is a great move.

Maybe with Ruutu in the fold JR can focus on a trade. Watching those playoff games on NHL channel reminds me that this team really was pretty dang good. If we could just get that top winger to put us over the top. Not likely, but I hold out hope.

Still love this signing.

Yay! My section will still be RUUUUing and my jersey is good for a few more years! His comment on why he wanted to stay is not out of character. He always has nice things to say about his team & teammates. A great model for the local hockey kids on what it means to belong to a team and support your fellow players.

GREAT news! The boys are back in town basically. Though we did pick up some more size and physicality around the edges.

Ruutu is a key player, especially on a team that is trying to get more physical. He also brings an infectious attitude along with a considerable skill set. Next to Staal and Whitney, Ruutu is the next most important forward on the team. Locking him up for 3 years is a great move.

Maybe with Ruutu in the fold JR can focus on a trade. Watching those playoff games on NHL channel reminds me that this team really was pretty dang good. If we could just get that top winger to put us over the top. Not likely, but I hold out hope.

Still love this signing.

Whitney will do as our other first line winger for next season. We just have too much money tied up in Whitney, Walker, Kaberle, Wallin, and Brind'Amour that will most-likely all be gone next year replaced by young, cheap prospects. If we can work out a decent deal with Ward we should be in good shape for being able bring in a top flight play-making winger. Though I wouldn't count out Boychuk or Bowman for the job just yet. We just need to have another good season to get ticket sales up so management is confident in spending money and to get UFAs and possibly RFAs looking at the Canes and saying "I want a piece of that".

Will will still have Brind'Amour so you need to add those dollars back to your budget but with the other four gone it does free up some change. would like to see Cam signed to an extension next.

Ruutu really picked up his production last season along with his energetic/physical play. He is a really good character player for this team and makes everyone better, that being said...This is a lot of money and with production from the regular season not carrying over much into the playoffs... hopefully he'll continue to develop and earn his money.

Glad they avoided arbitration, and worked out a three year deal. As much as he improved over the last year, I have a feeling he will just continue to get better - and it looks like JR feels the same way.

Considering Cole accepted a pay cut to stay with the team, and no other teams showed much interest during the FA period, I would think Cole is happy to be lacing the skates up for a team, period.. regardless of what he's making.

That wasn't my impression of the situation. From JR's comments after Cole was re-signed, Cole's agent came to him two hours into Free Agency with an offer in-hand, told JR what it would take to keep Cole here, and JR agreed to the proposed numbers. I think it's a reasonable assumption that the numbers the agent proposed were higher than what was originally offered by JR, but less than the offer made by the other team - otherwise it's a rather odd bargaining technique. I suspect a similar strategy was used by LaRose's agent, though over a longer period of time.

That said, I don't see Cole being all that concerned about what other players are making. Although if it gives him something to prove...

Whitney will do as our other first line winger for next season. We just have too much money tied up in Whitney, Walker, Kaberle, Wallin, and Brind'Amour that will most-likely all be gone next year replaced by young, cheap prospects. If we can work out a decent deal with Ward we should be in good shape for being able bring in a top flight play-making winger. Though I wouldn't count out Boychuk or Bowman for the job just yet. We just need to have another good season to get ticket sales up so management is confident in spending money and to get UFAs and possibly RFAs looking at the Canes and saying "I want a piece of that".

The problem isn't Whitney it's the other wing (assuming that Whitney shows no signs of aging). A bottom performing first liner should have get around 50 points. An average first liner had around 65 points. So Whitney is fine, but who is the other winger on the first line? Cole had 42 points in 80 games and did squat (again) in the playoffs.

Ruutu had 54 points and thus qualifies as a bottom of the league first liner. So it should probably be Staal-Whitney-Ruutu, but having a 65 point guy in there would just make the whole team that much better. We could then trade some of that salary and buy Kaberle out. I would love to see Boychuk and Bowman come up and perform, but they aren't going to go from not ready to first liner overnight. At best they would give us even more second/third liners this season. Although if one of them could really contribute even on the third line, that would allow JR to make a trade during the season moving a couple of forwards for one first liner.

Considering Cole accepted a pay cut to stay with the team, and no other teams showed much interest during the FA period, I would think Cole is happy to be lacing the skates up for a team, period.. regardless of what he's making.

I THINK it went more like Cole wanting to see if their were any teams willing to give him a much more substantial offer than the Canes and when there wasnt that 4M+ dollar offer out there he signed the deal. His agent said he talked with a couple teams to test the waters and he was only on the market for about 4 hours. He quickly realized teams are a lot more frugal these days.

Glad they avoided arbitration, and worked out a three year deal. As much as he improved over the last year, I have a feeling he will just continue to get better - and it looks like JR feels the same way.

That wasn't my impression of the situation. From JR's comments after Cole was re-signed, Cole's agent came to him two hours into Free Agency with an offer in-hand, told JR what it would take to keep Cole here, and JR agreed to the proposed numbers. I think it's a reasonable assumption that the numbers the agent proposed were higher than what was originally offered by JR, but less than the offer made by the other team - otherwise it's a rather odd bargaining technique. I suspect a similar strategy was used by LaRose's agent, though over a longer period of time.

That said, I don't see Cole being all that concerned about what other players are making. Although if it gives him something to prove...

This makes no sense... regardless of desire to be here, why would Cole stay here if another team was offering more then JR? Yeah he took a pay cut, but if anyone else had offered any kind of big contract I'm sure he would have left. The way it sounded was that Cole tested the market for "about a day" to see what he was worth and then signed with the Canes... i don't think there was "an other team".. Apparently his UFA value was not as much as most of us thought.

But that's neither here nor there.. he's signed.. that's what matters.. same for Ruutu.. he's signed now.

The problem isn't Whitney it's the other wing (assuming that Whitney shows no signs of aging). A bottom performing first liner should have get around 50 points. An average first liner had around 65 points. So Whitney is fine, but who is the other winger on the first line? Cole had 42 points in 80 games and did squat (again) in the playoffs.

Ruutu had 54 points and thus qualifies as a bottom of the league first liner. So it should probably be Staal-Whitney-Ruutu, but having a 65 point guy in there would just make the whole team that much better. We could then trade some of that salary and buy Kaberle out. I would love to see Boychuk and Bowman come up and perform, but they aren't going to go from not ready to first liner overnight. At best they would give us even more second/third liners this season. Although if one of them could really contribute even on the third line, that would allow JR to make a trade during the season moving a couple of forwards for one first liner.

I think it's definitely Ruutu for the other wing. I think a top line should definitely have a very physical (Ruutu - 9th in league last year for hits) gritty player that can also score goals exactly like Ruutu. Staal is the sniper/power forward and Whitney is the playmaker. As for Bowman/Boychuk coming up and being great players able to contribute on the second-third line I think it is unlikely but certainly not unheard of. Claude Giroux went from good prospect straight to great ppg NHL player (Probably near their best Playoff player) on Philly last year without any AHL/NHL before the year started.

For everyone saying we overpaid a bit, don't forget that when we traded for him, he was making 3.75 mil. per year. We got him for a steal last season on the one year contract.

If he can put up close to 60 points every year, stay healthy, and bring the PAIN on the forecheck, it will be money well spent.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll be the bad guy. I don't like how much we paid at all. I love Ruutu's game but I'm not sure with the size and strength we already added to our lineup that we paid a little to much for someone who didn't produce much in the playoffs and has had many serious injuries in his career. I was hoping we would get a 1 year deal done and see how he developes. I truly admire his toughness and how he brings energy every night but with the money we are paying him he needs to put up 25-30 goals a season for three years. I'm not sure he can stay healthy enough to justify his salary

I don't question his health. He's only had 1 bad year and that was 3 or 4 years ago. I'm worried he's not going to produce nearly the same as he did last year. Rather than being a 25/50 guy, I really think he's just going to average out as a 20/40 guy, and that's not worth the amount we're paying him.

I guess I'll be the bad guy. I don't like how much we paid at all. I love Ruutu's game but I'm not sure with the size and strength we already added to our lineup that we paid a little to much for someone who didn't produce much in the playoffs and has had many serious injuries in his career. I was hoping we would get a 1 year deal done and see how he developes. I truly admire his toughness and how he brings energy every night but with the money we are paying him he needs to put up 25-30 goals a season for three years. I'm not sure he can stay healthy enough to justify his salary

I don;t feel like doing research right now, so can you tell me which injuries he has had i can't remember them.

I don;t feel like doing research right now, so can you tell me which injuries he has had i can't remember them.

Several knee injuries and also almost a career ending back injury. There was many reports that his was going to retire the year before the Canes got him. Hopefully all those injuries are behind him but his style play leads to injuries

Hockey leads to injuries.

True...but the way Ruutu flys around much like Cole he has a much greater chance of injury. We just saw it first hand in this year playoffs. Again I love his style of play but if he doesn't score goals or can't score goals because of injury we just spent alot money on a forward we expect to play in the top line. I know he is a fan favorite but I'm not sure it was a good business move. I truly hope I'm wrong because you can't help but love his game.

I don't question his health. He's only had 1 bad year and that was 3 or 4 years ago. I'm worried he's not going to produce nearly the same as he did last year. Rather than being a 25/50 guy, I really think he's just going to average out as a 20/40 guy, and that's not worth the amount we're paying him.

You can't always determines someones worth by stats. You have to look at the whole picture. Ruutu brings more to this team than just goals or assists. His intangibles and what he does for this team is why I'm fine with the contract.

True...but the way Ruutu flys around much like Cole he has a much greater chance of injury. We just saw it first hand in this year playoffs. Again I love his style of play but if he doesn't score goals or can't score goal because of injury we just spent alot money on a forward we expect to play in the top line. I know he is a fan favorite but I'm not sure it was a good business move. I truly hope I'm wrong because you can't help but love his game.

There's some guy in Washington that's pretty good and gets paid a lot of money that hits everything on the ice too. I'm not saying that Ruutu is like Ovie, but there's nothing wrong with paying a player that plays a physical game. I think that's why we like the guy.

You can't always determines someones worth by stats. You have to look at the whole picture. Ruutu brings more to this team than just goals or assists. His intangibles and what he does for this team is why I'm fine with the contract.

Physicality and yadda, yadda, yadda. Even if he does rack up 200 hits for the remainder of his contract, it's not worth 4.4 million. He'd have to improve on last year to earn that amount, which very well may happen, though I'd be willing to bet it'd have more to do with a Staal improvement than a Ruutu one.

There's some guy in Washington that's pretty good and gets paid a lot of money that hits everything on the ice too. I'm not saying that Ruutu is like Ovie, but there's nothing wrong with paying a player that plays a physical game. I think that's why we like the guy.

So your comparing Ruutu and OV? I'm not sure if that's fair comparison. I believe OV gets more hype for his 60 goal seasons then his physical play. To me maybe making the comparison to a second tier player like Cole might be a little more fair.

For everyone saying we overpaid a bit, don't forget that when we traded for him, he was making 3.75 mil. per year. We got him for a steal last season on the one year contract.

If he can put up close to 60 points every year, stay healthy, and bring the PAIN on the forecheck, it will be money well spent.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure where you got that number from. He made 2.25, same as last year, in 07-08 and 1.5 the year before.

A player's value could be based upon his statistics, his leadership, and his overall character. Sometimes it is even based upon a particular team's need for a certain type of player. For instance, a player who does not score often could have a higher value for one team than he does for another, simply because he fits well within that team's system. And if that team needs him in order to be successful, that could drive up his value.

That's a quote from Ruutus agent and my response to him not being worthy of a generous contract because of his stats.

That's a quote from Ruutus agent and my response to him not being worthy of a generous contract because of his stats.

As I stated originally, a slight overpayment, and he'll have to improve rather than regress to earn that last year, but overall, it's all good.