The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mluther9

Ruutu Re-signed (confirmed)

Training, typically. Practice, no doubt, helps as well. As was stated earlier, Pittsburgh played essentially the same amount of games that we had up to that point in the playoffs. They also spent the last few months of the regular season playing those same type of games, trying to earn a playoff spot. So why, other than pure talent, did they seem so much better than we were?

The only reason I can come up with is they made it to the SCF the year before, they were ready for the long haul. The majority of our team had missed the playoffs for years, or hadn't been to the playoffs at all, and thus, weren't quite as prepared as Pittsburgh was.

Maybe we're defining 'grinding style of hockey' differently because other than semantics I can't see any way how anybody can prepare themselves for it. Maybe we didn't practice enough driving each other into the boards?

As far as other than pure talent, why did they seem so much better than us? Were they really THAT much better than us and isn't pure talent and determination often enought to win? They swept us, sure, but I also recall the Canes playing just as good if not better than the Pens in three of the four games. That is, until their speed and talent put us on our heels, or they just plain shut our offense down giving us very few decent scoring chances. I also think that we weren't nearly as physical against the Pens as we were against the Bruins and Devils and often got caught up in trying to play a run and gun game that suited the Pens better than us. But that's just me.

And making it to the SCF the year before doesn't really promise anything. See the Canes in 02 and 07 for example.

I think JR has provided the answer to why this team was drained going into the Pitt series. They were an undersized team whose first two series were gainst teams that played a physical brand of hockey. By the time they got to the ECFs, they were battered but not yet beaten and the Pens skated circles around them. If anything, they were unprepared mentally because they had not played a team in the playoffs that relied on pure speed and skill after coming off of two physically grueling series. Mo was forced to start running 3 lines to try and keep pace while Pitt was running 4. Now this team has beefed up its D and checking line so the physical play isnt the burden of only a handful of players which eventually catches up to teams in the playoffs, especially when relying on first and second line guys (Ruutu, Cole) to be the physical presence.

What on earth does this continued back and forth have to do with Ruutu's signing? Someone needs to find a new toy to play with.

Edited to include a smiley face - :huh:

Maybe Jimmy needs to use that dipstick on somebody.

Oh and TSA, I'm logging your discrepancies for when I need them for my own defense. ;)

I think JR has provided the answer to why this team was drained going into the Pitt series. They were an undersized team whose first two series were gainst teams that played a physical brand of hockey. By the time they got to the ECFs, they were battered but not yet beaten and the Pens skated circles around them. If anything, they were unprepared mentally because they had not played a team in the playoffs that relied on pure speed and skill after coming off of two physically grueling series. Mo was forced to start running 3 lines to try and keep pace while Pitt was running 4. Now this team has beefed up its D and checking line so the physical play isnt the burden of only a handful of players which eventually catches up to teams in the playoffs, especially when relying on first and second line guys (Ruutu, Cole) to be the physical presence.

I think this is dead-on... also, there were the injuries (most kept in house) that were sustained during the playoff run and first two rounds - some minor ones that someone was quoted as reporting, Cole and Ruutu were suffering but didn't want to be out of the line-up. Ward's injury is a great example... there wasn't much said about it, but we could all see that he wasn't himself, especially after he took that shot to the neck/throat (and the refs didn't stop play, ending in a goal). I know people don't like the injury excuse, but how do you play 100% when you are not healthy? I don't see it as an excuse, but a reason.

And, after your body stops wanting to work, you suffer mental issues like low confidence. And we have all seen how these guys play with low confidence. Just MHO

Some players need to be at their absolute best to be effective. Others don't.

If you are a step and a half faster than your opponent, you can lose up to a step and still get it done. (Malkin).

If you are even with your opponent, and lose half a step, you get torched. (Seidenberg/Wallin)

The canes roster is filled with a lot of people who weren't very effective at 75%. The Pittsburgh roster had a lot of people who were. There is no 'prepare for the grind' magic to have been performed.

Some players need to be at their absolute best to be effective. Others don't.

If you are a step and a half faster than your opponent, you can lose up to a step and still get it done. (Malkin).

If you are even with your opponent, and lose half a step, you get torched. (Seidenberg/Wallin)

The canes roster is filled with a lot of people who weren't very effective at 75%. The Pittsburgh roster had a lot of people who were. There is no 'prepare for the grind' magic to have been performed.

This is why we need another top line winger. (I have to work this idea into every thread so JR can see it).