The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

We now have 2 wards on the team

WOW. Just WOW! I would like to be a fly on the wall when Walker & A. Ward meet in the locker room.

Might open up some cap room for Boston to sign Kessel.

Kaberle will be bought out now.

I like this trade!

WOW. Just WOW! I would like to be a fly on the wall when Walker & A. Ward meet in the locker room.

I think that will be "past history". I know ward had concerns tthe fans reaction to all the drama, I don't think it will be a factor. he was always well liked here.

I think that will be "past history". I know ward had concerns tthe fans reaction to all the drama, I don't think it will be a factor. he was always well liked here.

Yeah, those things usually stay on the ice, and are left on the ice. Ward was very liked when he was here. I thought he was one of Boston's best players in the playoffs last year.

What he said in that one interview was for the Boston audience. There won't be any grudges or issues. Sure will make for good headlines and photo ops though.

Wow, really didn't see this coming, but welcome back Aaron! Even at 36, I hope he's good for a couple of more years. And it never hurts to have a 3-time Cup champ on your roster. He should be a good mentor for one of our young defensemen who will likely make the team this year. Good job again, JR.

I also would like to say good luck to Patrick Eaves. I really hope a change of scenery helps him finally break out. He was a good player for us, IMO, just didn't live up to his offensive skillset.

Might open up some cap room for Boston to sign Kessel.

Kaberle will be bought out now.

I like this trade!

Me too,,those were my 1st thoughts when i heard about this!! (fly on the wall part)

No introductions will be needed B)

well im glad it wasn't anyone other than eaves going back the other way, i wouldn't have been happy to part with anyone else. our defense is really taking shape though, this team is looking pretty solid, im excited for the season to start.

Rutherford's resistance to change never ceases to amaze me. While I am not extremely excited about having Ward back probably everything I can think of about this deal is a major plus.

- It was basically free, we got rid of Eaves (as though by everyone) making a spot for a young gun to come up and play

- Ward is cheap ($2.5 million) and has 1 year left on his contract, so we could seamlessly file him out next year if our young D prospects are ready.

- Ward definitely is a top-4 Dman and he will fill in next to Pitkanen quite well. Ward does indeed round out our defense, he is a mean defender to play against and in his time in Boston played very well with Chara. Also Pitkanen will be free to play some major offense again instead of passing to Babs and covering up his defensive mistakes.

- We will never have to see Kaberle in a Canes jersey again (My favorite)

- Probably the best part of this deal for the team: We still have Babchuk to trade away for a high-end prospect, there are some very good looking forward prospects out there and I think there are teams that would consider that a small price to pay to get a PP quarterback and goal-scoring defenseman like Babs.

Though Ward did call us all sheep and in his exit interview with Boston also had some nasty things to say about Canes fans in general (The funnies part was him saying he was afraid to come back this summer to practice as he feared Canes fans would come to the practice rink and boo/harass him), I'm happy to have him back for a year when we definitely needed the defensive help.

Not resigning A. Ward was this teams worst non-resign after we won the Cup. The worst decision was locking up Frank Kaberle for so long and so much. Though hind sight is always 20/20.

As far as A Ward and Walker issue....A Ward IMO probably carries at least as much weight in the Canes locker room still as Walker does. I don't see much happening here.

Not resigning A. Ward was this teams worst move after we won the Cup.

As far as A Ward and Walker issue....A Ward IMO probably carries at least as much weight in the Canes locker room still as Walker does. I don't see much happening here.

I don't think so, he basically snubbed us for more money. You know how JR feels about players like that. He will probably do the same next off-season if he has a good year... But who cares, we can certainly use his help this year. And there is absolutely no way he carries more weight than Walker, if the two had a brawl on the first day (Won't happen, just an example) I'm positive the players would side with Walker instantly.

I don't think he pleased the players with a lot of his comments during the playoffs about our team/fans.

Great deal by JR, the defense can now carry this team in my opinion. I will admit at the end of last month my expectations for this team were not great for the upcoming season looking through the roster. With the moves made in the past 3 weeks this team is one of the best on paper. All of the components, minus maybe offensive firepower, are in place and the depth upfront should provide enough scoring with the improved D.

Oh yeah and JR has done all this managing to stay within the self imposed cap with a buyout of Kaberle, unbelievable job by JR.

A great shotblocker who clogs up the shooting lanes. Physical play in front of the net and in the corners while Pitks gets the puck up the ice. I like Eaves but just like in Ottawa, he is having a hard time finding his place.

A great pick up at $2.5M and contract lenght. Word was out JR was looking for top 4 D-guy but I never thought A. Ward. But when you think about it, it is exactly what the Canes need.

I like it.

I don't think so, he basically snubbed us for more money. You know how JR feels about players like that. He will probably do the same next off-season if he has a good year... But who cares, we can certainly use his help this year. And there is absolutely no way he carries more weight than Walker, if the two had a brawl on the first day (Won't happen, just an example) I'm positive the players would side with Walker instantly.

I don't think he pleased the players with a lot of his comments during the playoffs about our team/fans.

I never said carries more weight...as much...not more.

While I am sure he was offered some money...why wouldn't he be pissed when he saw how much money they offered Frank? I would too. Even though Frank put up point, he was and has always been an Ole' defensemen and they knew he was going to have offseason shoulder surgery.

maybe we can pick Eaves back up off of waivers.. Bruins have already put him on waiver with the intention of buying him out.. why would they trade for him then?

You're joking right? The last thing we need now is Eaves back.

It was just a salary dump for them so they have the cap to resign Kessel, nothing more.

maybe we can pick Eaves back up off of waivers.. Bruins have already put him on waiver with the intention of buying him out.. why would they trade for him then?

to dump salary...and free up room.

You're joking right? The last thing we need now is Eaves back.

It was just a salary dump for them so they have the cap to resign Kessel, nothing more.

he's shown spurts of how he can play, he's got a great wrist shot and if he's healthy and actually played on a scoring line i think he would be able to produce, he's shown that he can be a 20 goal scorer.