The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

We now have 2 wards on the team

I, fore one, am glad to see Aaron back! I did not want him to leave in the first place. He is a rugged, strong defenseman that has his head on straight, though I am sorry to see Sid's go. JR said they were pretty much equal in shots, assist, and hits but never mentioned blocked shots. Sid's took that category. Good Luck Dennis!!!!!

Now, with this trade, Babs not being resigned, and Kabs being bought out, I feel we have our defense in order and a strong one too. We have some hitters, some thinkers, some crashers, and some passers. :blink:

Wardo should be in good shape this year and HOPEFULLY, Leighton will get to see some ice time as well.

Offense seems to be in good sorts as well. We could use one more ringer but we have plenty that can step up to the plate and make things happen. I feel safe is saying, in my own words...

Introducing the 09-10 Carolina Hurricanes!!!! :rolleyes:

Justin Williams will be back at the trade deadline since JR loves to get people back. I honestly don't like us picking up a 36 year old defenseman.

it really is ironic when you think about it, JR went out and got three guys that got their butts whooped by Walker. What are the odds of that?? If someone would have posted "We need to sign three players in the off season but they have to be players that have lost fights with Walker" we would have jumped all over them and called them crazy.

haha yeah. Especially Alberts. Idk how he can show his face in front of Scotty. That was pure domination.

BTW according to hockeyfights.com only 58.1% of people think Walker won the fight against Ward. 30.5% think that it was a draw, and 11.4% think that Ward won. Did I miss something????

I honestly don't like us picking up a 36 year old defenseman.

It's a stop gap move obviously, but I think it's a brilliant one. Give Carson and/or Rodney a year around Ward (in addition to guys like Gleason, Pitkanen, and Wallin) and we won't need to go out and find a replacement for Ward when he inevitably leaves in free agency at the end of the season - one (if not both) of the kids will be ready. I think the move helps as much off the ice as it does on.

It's a stop gap move obviously, but I think it's a brilliant one. Give Carson and/or Rodney a year around Ward (in addition to guys like Gleason, Pitkanen, and Wallin) and we won't need to go out and find a replacement for Ward when he inevitably leaves in free agency at the end of the season - one (if not both) of the kids will be ready. I think the move helps as much off the ice as it does on.

I think that this move all but 100% guarantees that McBain will be in the NHL next year.

Justin Williams will be back at the trade deadline since JR loves to get people back. I honestly don't like us picking up a 36 year old defenseman.

He might be 36, but he's a darn good player. I can't recall the amount of times the past 2 years where I've said "if we just had Aaron Ward". He will be an excellent mentor to Gleason and Pitkanen and that will go along way in moving forward with these two. He can log a ton of minutes and he is a warrior.

He's contract is only for a year, so we can always walk away next year.

I'm still shocked that JR was able to get us this quality of a defensemen for Eaves. I honestly didn't see how we could trade Eaves for a defensemen like Ward. Then again, Boston needed to shed salary, so.

I love this trade. It gives us a bruising, experienced blue liner who already has experience with the organization. It allows us to dump a forward who made too much for what he did the last 1+ seasons. It allows us to not resign Ward next offseason if the Rats are ready. It allows us to have experience in our top 6 d-men and then have a Rat take the 7th spot. And in the end it allows us to still move Babs and some draft picks/minor leaguers if JR can find some great deal for a 1st line forward (although I'm perfectly content going into next season with the group we have).

Anyway, good luck Patty and good luck Seids. I think Caniac Nation all wishes you well!!

That sums it all up quite well. Hard to argue with a move that puts all these pieces in place.

Eaves to be waived

Per TSN

After trading for Eaves, the Bruins placed the 25-year-old right wing on waivers with the purpose of buying him out. He had six goals and eight assists in 74 games last season.

The trade increases the salary cap room for the Bruins. Ward is scheduled to make US$2.5 million next season, the last of his contract. Waiving Eaves provides more cap room.

funny little comment during the press conference - he's been working out w/ Rod at the RecZone already - bet he's glad he doesn't have to use those horrible public locker rooms anymore!

He might be 36, but he's a darn good player. I can't recall the amount of times the past 2 years where I've said "if we just had Aaron Ward". He will be an excellent mentor to Gleason and Pitkanen and that will go along way in moving forward with these two. He can log a ton of minutes and he is a warrior.

He's contract is only for a year, so we can always walk away next year.

I'm still shocked that JR was able to get us this quality of a defensemen for Eaves. I honestly didn't see how we could trade Eaves for a defensemen like Ward. Then again, Boston needed to shed salary, so.

it is like i stated earlier that Chicago, Ottawa, and Boston were in deep doodoo with the cap. I would have thought we would have done something with Chicago because they are the worst off but oh well I like this move.

I think Aaron Ward and Scott Walker will just Hug it out and everything will be dandy. I mean, i'm sure Cam was happy to have his Father back on the team and was probably ticked at Walker for punching his pop's during the playoffs.

But now that rift will be mended and all will be well. I think maybe our final signing should be bringing in their cousin Hines as an enforcer. But thats just my opinion and i'd love to hear others.

I think Aaron Ward and Scott Walker will just Hug it out and everything will be dandy. I mean, i'm sure Cam was happy to have his Father back on the team and was probably ticked at Walker for punching his pop's during the playoffs.

But now that rift will be mended and all will be well. I think maybe our final signing should be bringing in their cousin Hines as an enforcer. But thats just my opinion and i'd love to hear others.

uuhhhh! They are not related, not even distantly!

uuhhhh! They are not related, not even distantly!

i don't mean to speak for TeenSen but he knows they aren't related...see the joke about Hines Ward. I sure would like to see him on skates though!!! Do you think we could get Cowher to talk to him about it!?!?!

I honestly don't like us picking up a 36 year old defenseman.

Wardo is one of these veterans who just know how to play game even on 35+ year. The guy is just good and has a lot of expierence - . Also, he will play on pair with our best d-man - Joni Pitkanen. Last year Pitts make Babchuk to looks very good. This will work with Pitkanen- Aaron too.

he basically snubbed us for more money. You know how JR feels about players like that. He will probably do the same next off-season if he has a good year... But who cares, we can certainly use his help this year.

As I recall, the Rangers offered Ward many millions more that the Canes could offer. We just could not afford the guy, he would have been an idiot not to take the contract, good for him. This is a really good trade. Do you think that the other SE teams are getting a bit concerned with the team that we will be putting on the ice next season?

Go Canes

----------------

Now playing: Tony Bennett & James Taylor - Put On a Happy Face[/post]

via FoxyTunes

As I recall, the Rangers offered Ward many millions more that the Canes could offer. We just could not afford the guy, he would have been an idiot not to take the contract, good for him. This is a really good trade. Do you think that the other SE teams are getting a bit concerned with the team that we will be putting on the ice next season?

Go Canes

we have to be the most improved team in the southeast. we're going to be very good.

----------------

Now playing: Tony Bennett & James Taylor - Put On a Happy Face[/post]

via FoxyTunes

I think that this move all but 100% guarantees that McBain will be in the NHL next year.

Sure sounds good, right handed shot, offensive defenseman, could slip right next to Alberts. That would be awesome if he was ready, but I think a year in the AHL will do him some good.

Not necessarily. Look at all the talent in the depth chart: Bryan Rodney, Brett Carson, Jay Harrison, Casey Borer, Brian Dumoulin, Zach Fitzgerald, etc. He's still gonna have to compete.

I've never seen so much excitement on this board, it's a nice change.

IIRC this place went absolutely bonkers when Cullen finally came home.

Anyone watch Ward's interview on the homepage? He was asked if he had much left in the tank and he immediately responded with "lots, lots..." He went on to say that he's been skating for 3 weeks and it's the best he's ever felt this time of year. He may be 36, but he's still a solid dman who will fit right in off the bat. We don't have him long term so we can walk away if he has a dud year (as already pointed out), BUT since he will be retiring here in Raleigh, I can only imagine he would take a home town discount if we aren't in dire need of his services 1 year from now. Pairing him with Joni makes me giddy - that's a scary "second" pairing. We got our solid top 4 on D that we all wanted. GREAT WORK JIMMY! Something else I missed about Ward is his eloquent speaking ability for an interview even after the toughest of losses. He contributes to keeping the locker room loose and relaxed (now we have 3 jokers again, Ward, Rosey, and Ray) and he's a leader.

October 2 can't come fast enough.

i really like this move. it give a veteran presents on our blue line, something we did not have last year. now all we need is one more consistent scorer, and to stay healthy, and i see us making a serious playoff run.

Boy, Pittsburgh fans would really be pissed!

This has made my day, and made me pull out the old DVD of "the run" we had. Now...I'd really like to see us get Eaves back if the stars line up when he goes UFA in a week or so I think. Either way...we needed size I think, and boy has JR and the gang gone and got it.