The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

We now have 2 wards on the team

This has made my day, and made me pull out the old DVD of "the run" we had. Now...I'd really like to see us get Eaves back if the stars line up when he goes UFA in a week or so I think. Either way...we needed size I think, and boy has JR and the gang gone and got it.

Why would you want Eaves back? Yes, the guy has talent but sometimes things just don't work out for certain guys in certain places. Remember Eric Belanger?

Moving on is the best thing for him. I'm sure he'll hit his stride elsewhere.

cannot wait to break out the #4 Ward jersey again. Props to JR for bringin back one of my favorite Canes on top of all the other good news this summer. Nothin but stoked for 09/10. A. Ward is a proven winner and makes this team a helluva lot tougher to play against.

LETS GO CANES

Wardo is one of these veterans who just know how to play game even on 35+ year. The guy is just good and has a lot of expierence - . Also, he will play on pair with our best d-man - Joni Pitkanen. Last year Pitts make Babchuk to looks very good. This will work with Pitkanen- Aaron too.

can't call him Wardo as that names is already spoken for :) as he said in the interview....don't wanna take that name!!

Very happy and excited to have Aaron back. He's a perfect fit for this team and now we can stop the talk about JR signing a real defensive defensman this offseason. The ordeal with Walks is water under the bridge. Our D is pretty solid now and we can definitely go far is the playoffs with the team we have now. I can't wait to start the season, with this team anything less than a championship will be a disapointment. I think we were all just happy to have playoff hockey back at the RBC Center last year not really knowing what to expect during the playoffs. This year is all about Stanley and nothing less, and now we have the team to do it. Good Luck to Patty, wouldn't mind seeing him back someday, the guy played his heart out and I can't ignore that, regardless of numbers he put up and also JR is a genius, again.

As I recall, the Rangers offered Ward many millions more that the Canes could offer. We just could not afford the guy, he would have been an idiot not to take the contract, good for him. This is a really good trade. Do you think that the other SE teams are getting a bit concerned with the team that we will be putting on the ice next season?

Go Canes

It was Cullen they paid more than we could afford. The Rangers technically paid Ward more money they have to pay more taxes. JR offered Ward the same amount of money he would be putting in his pocket as he would be in NY.

I am not a fan of the trade. I would have liked to see us get a guy that we could get long term. With Corvo, Wallin, Kaberle leaving after this season I would like to have another top 4 guy with the team. Im sure Rodney, Carson, and McBain are good but I dont know they will be top 4 worthy. Eaves may have not got the love on this team but if your top goalie says this guy has the best shot on the team then he must have some skill. Not a horrible trade but, I will not be one of the ones on this site jumping up and down.

Not sure if anyone has read any info from the other side of this trade:

Bruins trade Ward to Carolina

Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff July 24, 2009 11:42 AM

Aaron Ward was on the seventh hole of a North Carolina golf course today when he got the call from Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli that he'd been traded back to his old club, the Carolina Hurricanes, for forward Patrick Eaves, who was immediately placed on waivers, and a draft pick.

"I knew right off the bat," said Ward, the steady 36-year-old defenseman. "It's never good when your general manager calls you in the summer. He told me I was traded. I was pretty happy with the news that I'd get to go back to Carolina. He conveyed to me that he wasn't going to trade me anywhere else but Carolina. It worked out well."

While Ward reiterated his delight at returning to Raleigh (he lives in Cary, one town over), he acknowledged the disappointment of being traded from Boston. Ward had no idea he was on the market, and neither did Larry Kelly, his agent.

"This came as a complete surprise," Ward said. "I was preparing myself to be with the Boston Bruins next season. You look at the picture as a whole, and it was a team that won the Eastern Conference and finished the highest it did in a long time. In your own evaluation, you think you're a key component of that success. I had no thought process or inkling that I was moving on."

Chiarelli spoke highly of Ward.

"He's been a tremendous soldier here," said Chiarelli. "He brought experience, size and strength, and a stabilizing presence to the defense. Frankly, I wouldn't have traded him anywhere else but Carolina, because that's where his home is. I do appreciate the time, service, and personality Aaron brought to the organization."

Chiarelli said he will now seek a defenseman to add to his blue line. Chiarelli did not specify whether he will make a trade or sign a free agent to land defensive help.

By trading Ward the Bruins clear his $2.5 million salary, but weaken themselves on defense. So this is the first move, with the second being one of several possibilities:

Signing a UFA defenseman (Mathieu Schneider and Sergei Zubov are still available) to provide a puck-moving element.

Extending Phil Kessel with part of the money saved by trading Ward.

Trading Kessel for an impact defenseman.

Eaves, 25, just completed his fourth pro season following a three-year college career at Boston College where he twice earned All-American and Hockey East All-Star honors (2004, 2005). Drafted by Ottawa as their first pick, 29th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, he played his first two-plus seasons in the Senators organization.

Eaves was due $3.1 million over the next two seasons. Because he is under 26, he can be bought out for one-third of his remaining salary. If Eaves goes unclaimed, the Bruins will carry his $258,333 buyout number in 2009-10, 2011-12, and 2012-13. Because he is on an escalating three-year contract, the Bruins will receive a $41,667 cap credit in 2010-11, the year Marc Savard hits UFA status and Milan Lucic, Blake Wheeler, and Tuukka Rask become RFAs.

Ward returns to the team with which he won a Stanley Cup championship in 2006 and where he still maintains his off-season home (he lives in nearby Cary). The Hurricanes were interested in signing Ward if he hit the open market last summer, but the Bruins re-signed him to a two-year, $5 million extension.

He was Zdeno Chara's primary partner last season, serving as a stay-at-home defenseman and penalty killer. By being traded to Carolina, Ward will become a teammate of Scott Walker, the forward who dropped him with a punch late in Game 5.

"I'll get him back in practice," Ward joked. "Those are things that happen during the game. It's water under the bridge. I'm on his team now."

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins...s_trade_wa.html

From the Bruins Blog:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins...as/bruins_blog/

A few remaining tidbits from today's trade of Aaron Ward to Carolina for Patrick Eaves and a 2010 fourth-round pick:

* Derek Morris, Mathieu Schneider, and Sergei Zubov are possible pickups via the UFA market. Schneider and Zubov have a lot of miles on them, while Morris didn't have a commanding presence on the New York blue line when he arrived from Phoenix at the trade deadline. The Bruins factored in Ward's injury history and projected games missed in 2009-10 when making the deal. But they'll be missing the on- and off-ice chemistry he had with the team. Considering the ripple effect the Ward trade will create, the guess here is that the Boston bosses will be looking for a significant upgrade. By this observer's eyes, none of the three makes the team significantly better.

* The regular buyout period has closed. But providing Eaves clears waivers, the Bruins are allowed to buy him out because they had a pending arbitration case with Matt Hunwick. A similar scenario took place last summer when Dennis Wideman's pending arbitration hearing (the sides agreed to an extension prior to the case) allowed the Bruins to buy out Glen Murray outside the regular window.

* Stick salute to the Bruins for targeting Carolina as Ward's destination. Ward and his family consider Cary, N.C., their offseason home (he is originally from Ottawa). Ward will reside in Cary once he retires, which he doesn't think will be after 2009-10. Ward has been skating for the last three weeks at the RecZone, the Hurricanes' practice facility, with Rod Brind'Amour. "If it was a strict cap-clearing exercise, I could have picked a lot of destinations," said GM Peter Chiarelli.

* Ward is considering a career change to hockey color commentary once he hangs up his skates. Two years ago, Ward served as a Versus studio analyst. "He may be taking some of your jobs," jabbed Chiarelli during a conference call.

* One theory floated earlier this week was assigning Ward to Providence in 2009-10 to save cap space. Prior to the trade, Chiarelli said that scenario would not take place.

* Ward will be looking for a new nickname. Cam Ward has laid claim to "Wardo" since he claimed the No. 1 job. "He can have it," Aaron Ward said.

* Chiarelli was in the Ottawa front office when the Senators selected Eaves with the 29th overall pick of the 2003 draft. "He's a tremendous young man," Chiarelli said. "Unfortunately, he fell victim to this type of system. It basically gives us some space and a little more flexibility. Patrick is young. If he's not picked up on waivers, he'll find his way back into the league. I'm positive of it."

Quick addition... Bruins just signed Derek Morris to fill AWard's void for 1 year @ $3.3mil so I guess it wasnt just a salary dump to re-sign Kessel. Chiarelli also said they would match any offer sheet on Kessel.

Funny quote from Erik Cole to Aaron Ward after the trade was announced:

Ward said Cole sent him a text message that said, "We're getting the band back together."

this is great, our defense, our size is there now. A. Ward is so experienced and good at his job he will take the veteran defenseman role. J.R. always makes the right moves and this is one of them. What a team we're putting together, imagine us last year with more size and experience on defense. this is gonna be a good year!

Given that "Wardo" is taken, I have this question. Does Wardo's jersey change to C. Ward, and are current "Ward" jersey's now "legacy" jerseys?

Given that "Wardo" is taken, I have this question. Does Wardo's jersey change to C. Ward, and are current "Ward" jersey's now "legacy" jerseys?

Actually if you look back to the '05-'06 season both the Wards only had Ward on the back of their jerseys. I guess they figured people could tell them apart since one was skating around and one wears a mask and looks like he has pillows in his clothes.

I don't ever recall Aaron being called Wardo?

In related news....kind of feel bad for Eaves. Hopefully some team signs him now and he gets a fresh start.

Patrick Eaves was not claimed on waivers by today's noon deadline. The Bruins are now free to complete their buyout of Eaves, which will make the former Boston College star an unrestricted free agent.

Now with our primary 6 d-men set, we gotta look to as which Rat will make the team. I think the most ready are Carson, Rodney and Borer. All have multiple AHL seasons under their belt, and have NHL time to boot. I think they should lean away from Carson because he is slow. The fact is, the goal of having a Rat on the roster is to give the Wallin-Alberts pairing a different look every once in a while, and by putting someone like Rodney on, it gives them a quick d-men to play with. By putting Carson on with either Wallin or Alberts, your not making the pairing any faster.

I think Rodney is the best bet, but JR thinks he needs to beef up, so then you take Borer. Quicker than Carson, but a better defender than Rodney. Well balanced player. I still think Carson is the MOST ready, but I dont think he is the best fit. But i'll just express my joy to have so many top flight defensive prospects battling it out for one roster spot. I'd be happy if any of them made them team.

In related news....kind of feel bad for Eaves. Hopefully some team signs him now and he gets a fresh start.

Patrick Eaves was not claimed on waivers by today's noon deadline. The Bruins are now free to complete their buyout of Eaves, which will make the former Boston College star an unrestricted free agent.

I feel bad for him too. I don't think we ever really saw his full potential; he certainly deserves to play for a team that can really use his talents.

From Aaron Ward's latest posted interview.

I like it... That sounds like a great idea for Pitkanen also, I think we might see an amazing pair come out of this.

not so sure, scary things happen when an "offensive defenseman" gets too risky.

2 names come to mind -

"Tanabe" and "Ozolinsh" - both took WAY TOO MANY risks with the puck in the defensive zone. Tanabe, I think it was from trying too hard; Ozo - well... honestly I think it was the booze.

regardles, the end result = D-zone or neutral zone turnover, odd man rush, and a primo scoring chance, if not a goal for the opponent!

wondering if we'll see Gleason / Pitkanen, and Corvo / Ward - maybe even a little Gleason / Ward in "shut down" scenarios.

good lord! now that I look at that shut-down pairing, they look kinda scary (for the other guys that is) :)

but, yeah, Ward / Pitkanen sounds like the natural fit, since Gleason and Corvo have a year together under their belts.

Since the Andrew Alberts discussion is closed I just thought I'd throw this up here. I was just looking on Youtube, and I know how we've already been over how Scott Walker has basically fought and destroyed 1/3 of our newly signed d-men. But I just had to post this clip of Walker destroying Alberts in the corner and then getting in another fight with him. Holy *edit* Scott Walker is an animal

"He's been a tremendous soldier here," said Chiarelli. "He brought experience, size and strength, and a stabilizing presence to the defense. Frankly, I wouldn't have traded him anywhere else but Carolina, because that's where his home is. I do appreciate the time, service, and personality Aaron brought to the organization."

It is refreshing in a day where the phrase "its not personal just business" Chiarelli placed Ward in a good situation. The flip side is Eaves caught the all too raw business end.

One aspect on this deal that I like is you have your new guy in Alberts who has already confided in Ward about playing in Carolina. This makes the transition easier for Alberst to have a teamate from Boston that knows the ins and outs of Carolina coming in with him.

Although they most likely won't be paired together this is just another great example of fostering chemistry in the locker room on JR's part.

he's shown spurts of how he can play, he's got a great wrist shot and if he's healthy and actually played on a scoring line i think he would be able to produce, he's shown that he can be a 20 goal scorer.

Actually, it was on a very offensive team after the lockout in a wide open system that he once proved he could score.

He never fit in here, I wish him well finding a better fit.