The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LetsGoCanes72

2009-2010 Hurricanes schedule

Man, quite a few backtobacks. Hope that means that Leighton gets some work early on. Maybe they learned from last year not to wear down Ward.

When was Ward worn down? He had his best stretch of the season when he played the 20+ games in a row. Really, the less we have to rely on Leighton, the better.

When was Ward worn down? He had his best stretch of the season when he played the 20+ games in a row. Really, the less we have to rely on Leighton, the better.

Ok, Ward should play 82. You are right and I am wrong.

Ok, Ward should play 82. You are right and I am wrong.

Yeah, that's what I said. I honestly asked a question there. The only time I saw Ward falter which might be attributed to overplaying him was the ECFs, but I believe Maurice said Ward was injured in Game 1 of that series, which would explain his poor play. Granted, that injury may have been because we overplayed him, but is it not true that Ward played his best hockey of the season during the stretch from late Feb to early April?

Yeah, that's what I said. I honestly asked a question there. The only time I saw Ward falter which might be attributed to overplaying him was the ECFs, but I believe Maurice said Ward was injured in Game 1 of that series, which would explain his poor play. Granted, that injury may have been because we overplayed him, but is it not true that Ward played his best hockey of the season during the stretch from late Feb to early April?

Maybe one more time in February when Ward reportedly had a groin problem?

Maybe one more time in February when Ward reportedly had a groin problem?

The Panthers, Blue Jackets, Bruins stretch? I think the whole team kind of failed in those games. Especially considering between the BJs and the Bruins game, Ward posted a shutout against Buffalo.

Yeah he played great hockey down the stretch but like you said, he got injured maybe because he was overplayed by the ECF's. See what Im saying here, other opinions are also possible and its my opinion Ward was worn down at times. I can understand riding your horse down the stretch and into the playoffs but theres no reason to wear him down early on.

Which brings me to my original post of hopefully getting Leighton some work with all the backtobacks. A reasonable thought, no?

Yeah he played great hockey down the stretch but like you said, he got injured maybe because he was overplayed by the ECF's. See what Im saying here, other opinions are also possible and its my opinion Ward was worn down at times. I can understand riding your horse down the stretch and into the playoffs but theres no reason to wear him down early on.

Which brings me to my original post of hopefully getting Leighton some work with all the backtobacks. A reasonable thought, no?

The problem is, Ward had plenty of time to rest before the playoffs started. He was pulled in his last game, taking the 3rd period off. Then Leighton started the last game of the season. Then there was the 3 days between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. So Ward had almost an entire week off between games before playing his 14 game stretch (before the possible injury) in the playoffs.

Ward played in 68 games, which is about normal for a starting goaltender when the team doesn't have a reliable backup goaltender (such as the Thomas/Fernandez combo). And in those 68 games, he won 39 of them, a 58% winning percentage. Leighton played in 19 games, won 6 of them, a 31% winning percentage. Playing Leighton more than last year doesn't make any sense.

In my opinion, of course. ;)

The problem is, Ward had plenty of time to rest before the playoffs started. He was pulled in his last game, taking the 3rd period off. Then Leighton started the last game of the season. Then there was the 3 days between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs. So Ward had almost an entire week off between games before playing his 14 game stretch (before the possible injury) in the playoffs.

This is a good example of what I think was a great job by the staff last season of giving Ward the breaks when he needed them. I thought that the staff were very smart with the schedule last year, maximizing time off to give Ward extended periods of rest so he could remain fresh and start the last 30 games or so of the year without injury himself. From what I recall, and what IceFrog said, Ward injured himself against Pittsburgh, so my guess would be that it wasn't related to fatigue. I could be wrong wrong, but I thought the staff did a good job of resting Ward this year.

Ward, like the rest of the team, needs to have a better Oct-Dec. The last two years he has poured it on in the 2nd half, but that was forced by a mediocre 1st half. If they can afford to let Leighton play a few games in the 2nd half it will likely mean the team is in a better situation overall, especially with the March grind facing us this year.

I look forward to seeing San Jose and Chicago. Colorado I like but no Sakic of course...this time at least I don't have to get my hopes up.

And as some have said we have a brutal March...and plenty of b2bs. Yay...

I'm not too worried about that. We typically have a great March, no matter what the schedule. The past two seasons, we've gone 19-3-3 in March. 41 out of 50 possible points.

Perhaps I have missed it, but when will the various mini-plans be announced?

My ticket rep told me last week that they usually release the "packs" about a week after the schedule is released.

That would be tomorrow, July 22.

Thx for the heads up I've been waiting for this.... It was a much easier decision last year.... white was the clear choice last year IMO.... @ first glance I'm leaning toward black.... I'm wondering if we still get 2 vouchers for 2 more games :huh: (I generally get 3 free games from my hockey buddys' work and buy several games outside the package as well) The black package is missing NJ <- a can't miss game sometime in the regular season.... other teams I would like to see outside of the package - EDM, CHI, SJ, VAN....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

Edit: OK we're not playin' the Oil @ home....

Thx for the heads up I've been waiting for this.... It was a much easier decision last year.... white was the clear choice last year IMO.... @ first glance I'm leaning toward black.... I'm wondering if we still get 2 vouchers for 2 more games :huh: (I generally get 3 free games from my hockey buddys' work and buy several games outside the package as well) The black package is missing NJ <- a can't miss game sometime in the regular season.... other teams I would like to see outside of the package - EDM, CHI, SJ, VAN....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

Edit: OK we're not playin' the Oil @ home....

Yes, 2 vouchers per seat. CHI, SJ, VAN are all on the Red pack...which is very tempting...all those weekend games. And good games too. Hmm...

Yes, 2 vouchers per seat. CHI, SJ, VAN are all on the Red pack...which is very tempting...all those weekend games. And good games too. Hmm...

I had to go with the Red pack. The CHI, SJ and VAN games plus most our on Saturday nights. The Chicago game should be a huge draw.

Ohhhh boyyy FA sure would like to get a plan this year...red and black seem the most tempting. But I don't believe my student teaching salary will cover it lol. And my parents are moving away, so no help there.

Guess it'll just be another lonelyyy 4-5 individual games season for me!

I desperately want the red pack, but have a few questions that maybe y'all can answer for me.

How easy is it to sell or swap tickets if you can't make the game? I go to school five hours away so there's no chance of me making the weeknight games and I really don't want to pay for the seats and then not have anyone use them.

This one is probably out there somewhere, but since I'm here-are the vouchers for additional seats only good for games in the pack already? Meaning if my whole family wanted to go to the Chicago game I could get six seats rather than 2? Or are they good for games outside of the pack?

Thanks!

My first time as a mini-plan holder. Im kinda leaning towards the White pack at the moment. That will probably change 15 or 20 times tho...lol :lol:

I had to go with the Red pack. The CHI, SJ and VAN games plus most our on Saturday nights. The Chicago game should be a huge draw.

We're going with the 'Black Pack' It has the strongest opponents over all IMO I'll probably try to trade up Atlanta, Toronto, and Colorado depending on how they do next year.... picking up NJ tickets is a must.... and for folks who are buying the small package for the first time the sooner you order the better because we don't pick our seats and after existing package holders seats are picked it's first come first serve....

Yep finally broke down and read the fine print :rolleyes: My buddys work still has a deal on a 3 game package so 12+2+3 = 17 games I'm locked into B)

Ohhhh boyyy FA sure would like to get a plan this year...red and black seem the most tempting. But I don't believe my student teaching salary will cover it lol. And my parents are moving away, so no help there.

Guess it'll just be another lonelyyy 4-5 individual games season for me!

You should look into the payment plans on one of the cheaper sections (maybe).... one's 8 months long if I'm not mistaken....

I desperately want the red pack, but have a few questions that maybe y'all can answer for me.

How easy is it to sell or swap tickets if you can't make the game? I go to school five hours away so there's no chance of me making the weeknight games and I really don't want to pay for the seats and then not have anyone use them.

This one is probably out there somewhere, but since I'm here-are the vouchers for additional seats only good for games in the pack already? Meaning if my whole family wanted to go to the Chicago game I could get six seats rather than 2? Or are they good for games outside of the pack?

Thanks!

The red package is mostly weekend games so that would be a good choice.... It's easy exchanging tickets; They'll have a list of dates/games that are available for a specific ticket if you need to swap.... Vouchers are good for games outside the package and in the package (I'm pretty sure) and a handful of games will be blocked to vouchers; You prolly won't be able to get voucher seats next to your regular package seats tho; you prolly can trade the vouchers in and your regular package seats in together and get seats together (but no tellin' where the section/seats would be)....