The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Team Depth

Defense has been shored up,,now we need "THAT" winger that we have all talked about!!Not sure whom will fit "THAT" spot but hopefully JR has at least 1 more surprise up his sleeve!!

the only thing that could possibly be left is that true first line scoring winger for staal but it is not necessary for the team to win. right now overall i think the team is pretty solid, certainly not any worse than last years.

Quite a turnaround from where this team was 2 or 3 years ago. I think the key to our scoring touch was Stillman, we still haven't replaced what we lost there. That will be next years goal, I'd guess.

i chose scoring but what i really mean is defensive scoring. Corvo won't be able to double his goals this season and make up for Babchuk so i think we will be missing the goals from the blue line.

I bet alberts will double his career scoring this year, whats that make it? 4 goals? that will be enough defensive scoring, especially if rosey gets his 30 goals and Staal gets his 50, which write it down now, is my prediction, 50 goals 55 assists, Hart Trophy.

i chose scoring but what i really mean is defensive scoring. Corvo won't be able to double his goals this season and make up for Babchuk so i think we will be missing the goals from the blue line.

Corvo and Pitkanen are enough offensive offensemen. 3 is overkill. Corvo is good for some goals but Pitkanen is an amazing offensive D, we just didn't get to see it as much last season because most of the time he was passing to Babchuk a lot on the blueline (A good plan as Babs had a monster slap-shot and netted 16 goals) and playing much more defensively in general to cover Babchuck's mistakes. With Ward on his side I think we are going to see a lot more offense from Pitkanen and I'm thinking he might emerge as a defensive "cornerstone" of our team. Not to mention he's only 25, still developing, and still getting better.

the only thing that could possibly be left is that true first line scoring winger for staal but it is not necessary for the team to win. right now overall i think the team is pretty solid, certainly not any worse than last years.

Read the last article on the site where JR discusses the immediate future.... This is the time of year where players become available and some have to take a pay cut.... we still might find a winger possibly even a veteran to put in there or at least give us some depth <_<

I'm a little disturbed that our main problem isn't even listed in the Categories.

We should really add another Goaltender for a new offensive scheme called the "Double Tender"

It's where you take out 1 Winger and play two Goal Tenders at the same time. It's all the rage in the Middle-East Hockey League right now.

We won the cup because we had a new style of play no one had seen before right after the Lock-Out Year, I'm just thinking we need to bring this Double Tender style over quick before those pesky Red Wings steal it.

WHAT for goodness sake is some people's obsession with defensemen scoring? (not just you, but alot of other people too) :blink::blink:

The reason they call 'em "defensemen" is because their primary function is stopping the other guys from scoring!

I think scoring...on either side. However, I really like where the team sits at this point. I really believe they are as loaded as they've been in a long long time at this time of year.

Corvo and Pitkanen are enough offensive offensemen. 3 is overkill. Corvo is good for some goals but Pitkanen is an amazing offensive D, we just didn't get to see it as much last season because most of the time he was passing to Babchuk a lot on the blueline (A good plan as Babs had a monster slap-shot and netted 16 goals) and playing much more defensively in general to cover Babchuck's mistakes. With Ward on his side I think we are going to see a lot more offense from Pitkanen and I'm thinking he might emerge as a defensive "cornerstone" of our team. Not to mention he's only 25, still developing, and still getting better.

Agreed. Corvo and Pits had to play the defensive defenceman role too often last season which hampered their scoring. With our new acquisitions I expect them to take on a different role.

i think scoring is the only problem, however our d will be much better because alberts is much better then babs and ward is much better than berg. since our d is better we wont need as many goals but i think our cycling will be better with a whole year in mo's system. i am worried about the pp.

Agreed. Corvo and Pits had to play the defensive defenceman role too often last season which hampered their scoring. With our new acquisitions I expect them to take on a different role.

Exactly, I expect Pitkanen to put up a great year offensively. Playing with Ward, as opposed to Babchuk, he can focus more on shooting and not have to worry about covering for his partner.

The last piece that could really take this team from "solid" to "Cup contender", in my opinion, is Alex Tanguay. It will take a Kaberle buyout and a slight increase in the self-imposed budget, but I think Tanguay would fall under the "player to make an exception for" umbrella. He's style of play is similar to Stillman's, which is why I think he'd be the perfect fit on the first-line with Cole and Staal. Tanguay may also be desperate enough at this point to take a pay-cut from his earlier rumored demands.

JR hinted he was continuing to look at free agents who werent signed yet because they may sign for a lot less money than expected. If we are all correct and he should be looking at a top line forward, the only people out there that I can guess he is looking at is Petr Sykora and Alex Tanguay. Not sure how we could fit them in because A. We are full up front and B. We dont have any money left to spend (assuming we stick to our cap). Not sure we would go after either though. JR has been very persistent in only going after big guys so far this off season.

I'm a little disturbed that our main problem isn't even listed in the Categories.

We should really add another Goaltender for a new offensive scheme called the "Double Tender"

It's where you take out 1 Winger and play two Goal Tenders at the same time. It's all the rage in the Middle-East Hockey League right now.

We won the cup because we had a new style

of play no one had seen before right after the Lock-Out Year, I'm just thinking we need to bring this Double Tender style over quick before those pesky Red Wings steal it.

Oh yes I totally agree. I'm a huge follower of the MEHL, my favorite team is the Mecca Ali Baba's. I believe they just recently signed John Grahame as their backup goalie to employ this new system. That's the rumors anyway

JR hinted he was continuing to look at free agents who werent signed yet because they may sign for a lot less money than expected. If we are all correct and he should be looking at a top line forward, the only people out there that I can guess he is looking at is Petr Sykora and Alex Tanguay. Not sure how we could fit them in because A. We are full up front and B. We dont have any money left to spend (assuming we stick to our cap). Not sure we would go after either though. JR has been very persistent in only going after big guys so far this off season.

Yeah, we are full upfront, so If JR is thinking about a Sykora or a Tanguay, he would have to trade one or two players for prospects/draft picks to free up the space and the money.

It's obvious we need someone like Marty St. Louis to be even remotely successful for this upcoming championship season.

;)

We could use another scorer though, no doubt about that. But I'm not concerned. JR has done plenty already this offseason.

The last piece that could really take this team from "solid" to "Cup contender", in my opinion, is Alex Tanguay. It will take a Kaberle buyout and a slight increase in the self-imposed budget, but I think Tanguay would fall under the "player to make an exception for" umbrella. He's style of play is similar to Stillman's, which is why I think he'd be the perfect fit on the first-line with Cole and Staal. Tanguay may also be desperate enough at this point to take a pay-cut from his earlier rumored demands.

Do you know what his rumored asking price is?

Do you know what his rumored asking price is?

I've heard that he wanted a one-year deal at $5 million, but I've also heard that he wanted a multi-year deal while all teams would offer was a one-year deal. He may still be out of the realm of possibility with the self-imposed salary cap, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to explore that option. Maybe make a one-year contract offer at $3.5 to $4 million. If he doesn't work out we can deal him at the deadline or walk away next offseason. However, if it does work out, we can use some of the available salary next offseason to lock him into a long-term deal.

I've heard that he wanted a one-year deal at $5 million, but I've also heard that he wanted a multi-year deal while all teams would offer was a one-year deal. He may still be out of the realm of possibility with the self-imposed salary cap, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to explore that option. Maybe make a one-year contract offer at $3.5 to $4 million. If he doesn't work out we can deal him at the deadline or walk away next offseason. However, if it does work out, we can use some of the available salary next offseason to lock him into a long-term deal.

This really does sound like a great situation, 1 month after free agency began, very skilled playmaking winger. We just have a few players that are really hurting us from putting out an offer. I would definitely make a 1 year offer 3.5-4 range, for exactly the points you mentioned. If he worked out, it would make our whole group of forwards better and we would have a great team. The money is just too tight right now, we're 3 mil below the cap and right at our salary budget.

This really does sound like a great situation, 1 month after free agency began, very skilled playmaking winger. We just have a few players that are really hurting us from putting out an offer. I would definitely make a 1 year offer 3.5-4 range, for exactly the points you mentioned. If he worked out, it would make our whole group of forwards better and we would have a great team. The money is just too tight right now, we're 3 mil below the cap and right at our salary budget.

Hmmm. If we buy out Kabs and trade Babs for prospects....how much does a Brind'Amour buy out pay for? I know Brind'Amour is the captain, etc. etc. But

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Jokinen-LaRose

Walker-Sutter-Kostopolous

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Ward

Alberts-Wallin

That is an elite team. Try to match lines with that team. Walker on the 4th line or more likely with injuries no drop off on the top 3 lines? That is crazy depth and a good 1st line. LOOK at that JR. Maybe Brindy has to get a chance to show what he has, but look at that line up. Same money. The only thing standing in the way of this is Brind'Amour.

Hmmm. If we buy out Kabs and trade Babs for prospects....how much does a Brind'Amour buy out pay for? I know Brind'Amour is the captain, etc. etc. But

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Jokinen-LaRose

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Ward

Alberts-Wallin

That is an elite team. Try to match lines with that team. Walker on the 4th line or more likely with injuries no drop off on the top 3 lines? That is crazy depth and a good 1st line. LOOK at that JR. Maybe Brindy has to get a chance to show what he has, but look at that line up. Same money. The only thing standing in the way of this is Brind'Amour.

We would owe him 1 million over the next 4 years, saving us 2 million for this year and the next.

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Jokinen-LaRose

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Ward

Alberts-Wallin

If i understand the buyouts, although I'm not sure I do.. don't we have to pay 2/3's of Rod's salary for a buyout (which would be 2 million of his 3 million) and that still counts against the cap, so it only opens us up an extra 1 million? Or does that 2 million get shifted to next year? From what I understand of the people talking about the Kaberle buy out we pay him .75 million this year and a the same next year.... So instead of 6 million over 2 years, wouldnt we still have to pay Rod something in the neighborhood of 4 million over the next 2-4 years? Granted if it was 1 million for 4 years, that saves us 2 million this year, plus the 3 quarters mil for Kabs and thats 2.75, and the 3 we have below the cap, but that still puts us above our team budget. Unless making that move would guarantee we win a stanley cup and make a tidy profit, thats too much of a risk.

I get the point of what your doing, with paying 3 million a year to a 3rd/4th liner is too much, but we can't get enough off the books if we buy him out I don't think. With the money we just paid for Ward, Ruutu, Kostopoulos and Alberts I don't think we have much left for wheeling and dealing.