The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Team Depth

If i understand the buyouts, although I'm not sure I do.. don't we have to pay 2/3's of Rod's salary for a buyout (which would be 2 million of his 3 million) and that still counts against the cap, so it only opens us up an extra 1 million? Or does that 2 million get shifted to next year? From what I understand of the people talking about the Kaberle buy out we pay him .75 million this year and a the same next year.... So instead of 6 million over 2 years, wouldnt we still have to pay Rod something in the neighborhood of 4 million over the next 2-4 years? Granted if it was 1 million for 4 years, that saves us 2 million this year, plus the 3 quarters mil for Kabs and thats 2.75, and the 3 we have below the cap, but that still puts us above our team budget. Unless making that move would guarantee we win a stanley cup and make a tidy profit, thats too much of a risk.

I get the point of what your doing, with paying 3 million a year to a 3rd/4th liner is too much, but we can't get enough off the books if we buy him out I don't think. With the money we just paid for Ward, Ruutu, Kostopoulos and Alberts I don't think we have much left for wheeling and dealing.

To buy out Brindy would cost 1 mil a year for 4 years. 2/3's of what he is owed over twice the length.

To buy out Brindy would cost 1 mil a year for 4 years. 2/3's of what he is owed over twice the length.

Ah..ok.. that's why Kaberle is only 2 years (he has 1 year left). Since Rod is making the same this year and next, if we buy him out this year it's 1 million a year for 4 years.. if he plays full time this year, and we buy him out next year it would be 1 million a year for 2 years.

If he retires with years left (contract signed older then 35) don't we still have to pay him something? Back in 06 I thought it was crazy that he signed a 6 year deal ( i fully expected him to retire after lifting the cup), but now that he only has 2 years left it looks like he will make it the distance.. after 2011 I would expect him to retire and as Francis said to Wesley.. "Welcome to the Rafters".

As I understand it, since he's in the over 35 category, the cap hit doesn't change. And if he retires, he doesn't get paid, but the cap hit remains.

Hmmm. If we buy out Kabs and trade Babs for prospects....how much does a Brind'Amour buy out pay for? I know Brind'Amour is the captain, etc. etc. But

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Jokinen-LaRose

Walker-Sutter-Kostopolous

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Ward

Alberts-Wallin

That is an elite team. Try to match lines with that team. Walker on the 4th line or more likely with injuries no drop off on the top 3 lines? That is crazy depth and a good 1st line. LOOK at that JR. Maybe Brindy has to get a chance to show what he has, but look at that line up. Same money. The only thing standing in the way of this is Brind'Amour.

Okay okay, even I have to admit, that second line would scare the *edit* outta me if I was on another team. Thats awesome. However, this is unrealistic. The team will not buy out Brindy. But I can dream and perhaps Brindy centers the 4th line. My dream line-up :

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Jokes-Larose

Walker-Brindy-TKO

Gleason-Corvo

Pits-Ward

Alberts-Wallin

Awesome...

whys nhlpa.com say brindy is getting 4 mil this year then? Everyone is saying 3 mil.

He's getting $3 but maybe its his cap hit that's listed on that site?

This really does sound like a great situation, 1 month after free agency began, very skilled playmaking winger. We just have a few players that are really hurting us from putting out an offer. I would definitely make a 1 year offer 3.5-4 range, for exactly the points you mentioned. If he worked out, it would make our whole group of forwards better and we would have a great team. The money is just too tight right now, we're 3 mil below the cap and right at our salary budget.

Dude....Afinogenov man, I'm tellin' you. Playmakin winger....not as expensive...speed...skill.. Look at his numbers when he was healthy and motivated.

Dude....Afinogenov man, I'm tellin' you. Playmakin winger....not as expensive...speed...skill.. Look at his numbers when he was healthy and motivated.

I say you might as well try any winger as long as its somewhat cheap and its on a one year contract. Still, the problem with Afinogenov has always been motivation and health. Especially motivation. He is just like a upgraded Samsonov. Higher skill set in every regard minus defence.

I say you might as well try any winger as long as its somewhat cheap and its on a one year contract. Still, the problem with Afinogenov has always been motivation and health. Especially motivation. He is just like a upgraded Samsonov. Higher skill set in every regard minus defence.

I would say he is probably more like exactly equal to Samsonov. Both have had 70+ point seasons, both are small Russian skill forwards, Afinogenov is 29 and Samsonov is 30, both have had their teams give up on them and are/were considered near the end of their NHL career, both show spurts of amazing skill in which they can whip around 2-3 players and net an amazing looking goal, and both need a lot of confidence/motivation to play to their potential.

I think Afinogenov might be exactly the type of player JR was talking about when he said there still might possibly be a FA pickup if the price is right. Everything I have heard so far this off-season suggests that no one really want to take a chance on Afinogenov and it looks like he might have to go to the KHL (Much like the circumstances when we picked up Sammy off waivers). I can't really see any reason why taking a chance on him wouldn't be a good idea if the above is true and we could sign him to a 1 year $1-1.5 million dollar contract. We are pretty short on RW (Which he is) and you can't really go wrong with a cheap 1 year deal like that on a player that no one else is willing to take a chance on. Heck, if nothing else maybe he and Samsonov could show some good chemistry on the third line (Sammy-Jokinen-Afinogenov?, now that's a solid goal-scoring third line).

I would say he is probably more like exactly equal to Samsonov. Both have had 70+ point seasons, both are small Russian skill forwards, Afinogenov is 29 and Samsonov is 30, both have had their teams give up on them and are/were considered near the end of their NHL career, both show spurts of amazing skill in which they can whip around 2-3 players and net an amazing looking goal, and both need a lot of confidence/motivation to play to their potential.

I think Afinogenov might be exactly the type of player JR was talking about when he said there still might possibly be a FA pickup if the price is right. Everything I have heard so far this off-season suggests that no one really want to take a chance on Afinogenov and it looks like he might have to go to the KHL (Much like the circumstances when we picked up Sammy off waivers). I can't really see any reason why taking a chance on him wouldn't be a good idea if the above is true and we could sign him to a 1 year $1-1.5 million dollar contract. We are pretty short on RW (Which he is) and you can't really go wrong with a cheap 1 year deal like that on a player that no one else is willing to take a chance on. Heck, if nothing else maybe he and Samsonov could show some good chemistry on the third line (Sammy-Jokinen-Afinogenov?, now that's a solid goal-scoring third line).

I don't see how JR can acquire a player through free agency at the moment. There is already a log jam of 2nd/3rd line players.

I thought Sammy's big year was with Boston when he had 53 points? I didnt think he ever broke the 70 plateau. But you might be right, I dont know. I still think Afinoginov is better than Samsonov, because I feel like he has the ability to do everything Sammy does but far more often and consistently. I just think his general talent level is higher. But otherwise, I totall agree with you. I say take the chance, and if he doesnt work out on the 1st line, drop him down. However, we have too many forwards and this signing is unrealistic without making a trade to make room first. Down the RW you have : Cole, Ruutu, Kostopolous, Larose. I know Ruutu can be moved to the LW, but that means you are forcing one of Kostopolous or Larose out. Both whom we have just signed this offseason and will most likely not be the part of any trades anytime soon.

In other words, I'd love to try out Afinoginov at the right price and for one year, however its doubtful this is going to happen simply because of our depth. We have the money, but not the roster spot.

I don't see how JR can acquire a player through free agency at the moment. There is already a log jam of 2nd/3rd line players.

I'd say the same thing except for this:

Rutherford:

Still, he may or may not be done, depending on what happens between now and training camp.

I reckon the Goalie falls under defense.. Just wanted to mention he is "Average at Best"

LOL

I still think Afinoginov is better than Samsonov, because I feel like he has the ability to do everything Sammy does but far more often and consistently. I just think his general talent level is higher.

In other words, I'd love to try out Afinoginov at the right price and for one year, however its doubtful this is going to happen simply because of our depth. We have the money, but not the roster spot.

Talent is nice. But the Big "A" does not know how to finish.

I don't think he comes close to Sammy's intellect and passing ability.

I reckon the Goalie falls under defense.. Just wanted to mention he is "Average at Best"

LOL

Remember early last season that there was actually some debate on this board that Leighton should be the starter?

Remember early last season that there was actually some debate on this board that Leighton should be the starter?

YUP! We are now officially really in the doldrums of summer Hockey. You can never tell what will come up. :)

Entropy= Anarchy

I thought Sammy's big year was with Boston when he had 53 points? I didnt think he ever broke the 70 plateau. But you might be right, I dont know. I still think Afinoginov is better than Samsonov, because I feel like he has the ability to do everything Sammy does but far more often and consistently. I just think his general talent level is higher. But otherwise, I totall agree with you. I say take the chance, and if he doesnt work out on the 1st line, drop him down. However, we have too many forwards and this signing is unrealistic without making a trade to make room first. Down the RW you have : Cole, Ruutu, Kostopolous, Larose. I know Ruutu can be moved to the LW, but that means you are forcing one of Kostopolous or Larose out. Both whom we have just signed this offseason and will most likely not be the part of any trades anytime soon.

Yeah Sammy had 75 points (29 goals, 46 assists) in 00-01 and 70 points (29 goals, 41 assists) in 01-02. Afinogenov's best seasons were much closer to today though with 73 points (22 goals, 51 assists) in 05-06 and 61 points (23 goals, 38 assists), in just 56 games I might add, in 06-07. The last 2 seasons he has been mostly a 3rd-4th liner/healthy scratch.

That's another idea, I forgot he was still out there. Signing him would definitely be a text book JR move. Obviously he would be much cheaper than someone like Tanguay, but comes with more risk. My only concern is that he's a defensive liability, and if his offense doesn't work out we're stuck with a pretty bad investment. It's a risk, but could pay off pretty well if we gave him an opportunity.

According to Sabres fans, Afinogenov won't ever go back to Russia. Apparently he got into some gambling trouble over there and got into some trouble with the Russian mafia. I think the KHL is far from his list of places to go. He could be had for pretty cheap come August if he isn't signed and doesn't have many offers out there.

However, I think JR is looking at possibly adding a 4th line center. Brind'Amour or Jokinen centering the 4th line is a waste. Like JR said after the season, there's no use having Brind'Amour on the 4th line. Same with Jokinen, he's too good for the 4th. And I honestly think they would rather have Sutter in Albany for the year. I think if we are desperate for that 4th line center, Sutter will be here, but it'll be better for his development in Albany getting 20 minutes a night going up against other teams top defensive pairings. Then playing 5-6 minutes a night and getting sheltered.

The available free agents that would fit the 4th line center roll and seem to be JR guys are Peca and Yelle.

Edit to add possible lines:

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Cullen-Ruutu

Larose-Brind'Amour-Jokinen

Kosto-Peca/Yelle-Walker

According to Sabres fans, Afinogenov won't ever go back to Russia. Apparently he got into some gambling trouble over there and got into some trouble with the Russian mafia. I think the KHL is far from his list of places to go. He could be had for pretty cheap come August if he isn't signed and doesn't have many offers out there.

However, I think JR is looking at possibly adding a 4th line center. Brind'Amour or Jokinen centering the 4th line is a waste. Like JR said after the season, there's no use having Brind'Amour on the 4th line. Same with Jokinen, he's too good for the 4th. And I honestly think they would rather have Sutter in Albany for the year. I think if we are desperate for that 4th line center, Sutter will be here, but it'll be better for his development in Albany getting 20 minutes a night going up against other teams top defensive pairings. Then playing 5-6 minutes a night and getting sheltered.

The available free agents that would fit the 4th line center roll and seem to be JR guys are Peca and Yelle.

Edit to add possible lines:

Whitney-Staal-Cole

Samsonov-Cullen-Ruutu

Larose-Brind'Amour-Jokinen

Kosto-Peca/Yelle-Walker

Possibly but Brind'Amour would have to show a lot of improvement as last year as he was -10 to -20 below the next lowest player in plus/minus just about the whole season while centering the third line. I would rather have Jokinen centering the 3rd line and an extra winger instead. Especially one like Afinogenov whom would cost just as much as Peca/Yelle at this point and have a possibility of reshaping into his ppg form.

Cole-Staal-Afinogenov

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Samsonov-Jokinen-Larose

Kosto-Brind'Amour-Walker

Oh yes

I would put it like this:

Whitney-Staal-Afinogenov

Ruutu-Cullen-Cole

Samsonov-Jokinen-LaRose

Walker-Brind'Amour-Kostopolous

Cole's much better on the right wing, and Afinogenov will serve the purpose that Cole would, using his speed to open things up for Staal and Whitney could feed the two. Cole a Ruutu on the same line would be awesome and then the rest fills in.