The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Team Depth

According to Sabres fans, Afinogenov won't ever go back to Russia. Apparently he got into some gambling trouble over there and got into some trouble with the Russian mafia. I think the KHL is far from his list of places to go. He could be had for pretty cheap come August if he isn't signed and doesn't have many offers out there.

Hahahahaha, please tell me this is True. If so I want him no the team so bad. We'll just have to put security on watch for big Shaved headed dudes with Beards in the stands who might be plotting on him

Only issue with Afinogenov is that he hasn't played over 80 games in a season since the '01-'02 season and hasn't played over 70 games in a season since the '05-'06 season. He has missed significant time in each of the last three years, with two groin injuries and a broken wrist. The groin injury is especially concerning as it has cost him over forty games in the last two years.

It's hard to tell with Maxim. He's obviously a skilled player, but I'm hearing mixed reports about his play last year. The majority of Buffalo fans are saying he was being misused, playing the checking line with Mair for most of the time this past season. Ruff's version of the doghouse, essentially. Others are saying that Max simply isn't that good, and that he got his offensive production because he was able to face bottom-pairing defenseman while Drury and Briere were the focus of the top defensemen.

Don't know which one's true, probably a little of both.

It's hard to tell with Maxim. He's obviously a skilled player, but I'm hearing mixed reports about his play last year. The majority of Buffalo fans are saying he was being misused, playing the checking line with Mair for most of the time this past season. Ruff's version of the doghouse, essentially. Others are saying that Max simply isn't that good, and that he got his offensive production because he was able to face bottom-pairing defenseman while Drury and Briere were the focus of the top defensemen.

Don't know which one's true, probably a little of both.

We would have never traded for Jokes, Sammy or Cole for that matter if we looked strictly at their performance. Its about chemistry and I think Maxim would do well here. However it doesn't give us what we need. Tanguay is the type of player we need to leverage Staal. I think Brindy would be open to the offers from possible teams willing to trade. Of course he may do the buyout option but he knows he is over paid. We have treated him well and I don't think he is about burning bridges. I say we play aggressive and if all else fails we pull some strings.....trade for some guys under the radar and milk our system.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE? I say pull the trigger and lets make it happen capt'n!

Tanguay is the type of player we need to leverage Staal. I think Brindy would be open to the offers from possible teams willing to trade. Of course he may do the buyout option but he knows he is over paid. We have treated him well and I don't think he is about burning bridges. I say we play aggressive and if all else fails we pull some strings.....trade for some guys under the radar and milk our system.

I agree with you.

Afinagenov is a dazzling player to watch. Put him and Sammy on the same line and they could dance and dance. But, for some reason the guy just doesn't finish. And if he really is bad defensively you get a bad combination. Tanguay is a guy with a long history of finishing and he has been an assist machine. Yes, he's played with some great players, but he has had point a game seasons.

Taking Afinagenov and Tanguay's best 5 seasons, ave points:

Afin 48.2

Tang 76.4

Afinagenov has really only had 2 seasons worthy of a top liner.

Tanquay has had 8, and really 9 (last year despite injuries) was on pace for 67 points.

That is, Tanguay was on pace to outscore many people's choice for our top line Eric Cole by 25 POINTS in an off year. Three years ago this guy was #10 in the NHL in assists with 59. How many of those would be Staal goals? Many.

I have no idea what the absolute latest is on Tangauy or how much he would cost, but he has dropped production the last two years and may be open to a short term contract that is less than he would have gotten a couple of years ago. If that's the case, we pull the trigger and he returns to form and look out NHL.

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu is a seriously legit first line. But the second and third and even 4th lines will score.

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Joks-LRose

Walker-Brindy-Kosto

Who could match up with that? How could that team with it's new d and it's newly minted star goalie not challenge for the President's cup? We could in theory trade any one or two forwards from the bottom 2 lines and still be great.

Common JR, I know you're reading this!

We would have never traded for Jokes, Sammy or Cole for that matter if we looked strictly at their performance. Its about chemistry and I think Maxim would do well here. However it doesn't give us what we need. Tanguay is the type of player we need to leverage Staal. I think Brindy would be open to the offers from possible teams willing to trade. Of course he may do the buyout option but he knows he is over paid. We have treated him well and I don't think he is about burning bridges. I say we play aggressive and if all else fails we pull some strings.....trade for some guys under the radar and milk our system.

There's no telling what chemistry Maxim would have here. You can't grab someone in the hopes that they'll have chemistry with certain players. That's what Tampa did last year. Didn't quite work out as planned.

As for Tanguay, he's apparently limited his options to Phoenix, Tampa or Florida. Basically, whichever team willing to throw the most money at him. Something we can't afford to do.

As for Tanguay, he's apparently limited his options to Phoenix, Tampa or Florida. Basically, whichever team willing to throw the most money at him. Something we can't afford to do.

Oh well, it could have been sweet. Alas, we probably start with a still good team, and maybe find a way to pick up that top line winger that could make us great during the season.

I agree with you.

Afinagenov is a dazzling player to watch. Put him and Sammy on the same line and they could dance and dance. But, for some reason the guy just doesn't finish. And if he really is bad defensively you get a bad combination. Tanguay is a guy with a long history of finishing and he has been an assist machine. Yes, he's played with some great players, but he has had point a game seasons.

Taking Afinagenov and Tanguay's best 5 seasons, ave points:

Afin 48.2

Tang 76.4

Afinagenov has really only had 2 seasons worthy of a top liner.

Tanquay has had 8, and really 9 (last year despite injuries) was on pace for 67 points.

That is, Tanguay was on pace to outscore many people's choice for our top line Eric Cole by 25 POINTS in an off year. Three years ago this guy was #10 in the NHL in assists with 59. How many of those would be Staal goals? Many.

I have no idea what the absolute latest is on Tangauy or how much he would cost, but he has dropped production the last two years and may be open to a short term contract that is less than he would have gotten a couple of years ago. If that's the case, we pull the trigger and he returns to form and look out NHL.

Tanguay-Staal-Ruutu is a seriously legit first line. But the second and third and even 4th lines will score.

Whitney-Cullen-Cole

Sammy-Joks-LRose

Walker-Brindy-Kosto

Who could match up with that? How could that team with it's new d and it's newly minted star goalie not challenge for the President's cup? We could in theory trade any one or two forwards from the bottom 2 lines and still be great.

Common JR, I know you're reading this!

I think the difference is we can afford Afinogenov ($1-1.5 million)... There is no way in hell we could afford Tanguay ($4-6 million). Plus it seems no one has any interest in picking up Afino while many teams are vying for Tanguay.

However we did just pick up Jokinen/Sammy/Ruutu (3 failing players in the slums of their careers) and took a chance on them hoping for chemistry and it happened. There is probably more evidence that Afino would work out well here than there is against.

Oh well, it could have been sweet. Alas, we probably start with a still good team, and maybe find a way to pick up that top line winger that could make us great during the season.

I think JR might be able to find something in the next week or two when some UFA's decide to get their heads out of the clouds and decide "do i want to play in the NHL or the KHL"?

A few other UFA's that are still available and potential first liners are Todd Bertuzzi (Veteran playmaking winger possibly within our budget), Afinogenov (discussed), Sykora (Not a fan but he is a veteran possible first line sniping winger), Jason Williams (young but has first line potential), Kyle Calder (young with potential but probably not first line material).

I think Bertuzzi fits the description of the player JR might have been talking about pretty well, would be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY' target="_blank">www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY[/post]

I'd have a hard time rooting for this guy

Players make mistakes(on the ice)...I can't watch you tube where I am at(I assume it is the punch in the back of the head)

Does the guy have a history of continually doing things like that? From what I know of him, he's kept his nose relatively clean since the incident against the Avs on and off the ice. If so I'd say bring him on.

Yeah, I was betting that most people here wouldn't know about that. Was one of the reasons I thought he would be good here, get as far away from that incident as possible. Bad things happen sometimes... I'm sure he wasn't trying to break his neck. In the heat of the moment especially after watching your captain get railed with a head-shot players do stupid things. He really never has been the same since but I think coming to a place like Carolina would be his best shot to return to better form. I'd take a chance on him and root for him as a Cane.

He is not a thug, he is a skilled first line winger. He hasn't ever really done anything else like this... He was just caught in the heat of the moment. I can't watch the video either right now but I hope it shows the massive headshot Moore put on Vancouver's then captain Naslund before this incident.... It helps explain it a little better.

Yeah, I was betting that most people here wouldn't know about that. Was one of the reasons I thought he would be good here, get as far away from that incident as possible. Bad things happen sometimes... I'm sure he wasn't trying to break his neck. In the heat of the moment especially after watching your captain get railed with a head-shot players do stupid things. He really never has been the same since but I think coming to a place like Carolina would be his best shot to return to better form. I'd take a chance on him and root for him as a Cane.

He is not a thug, he is a skilled first line winger. He hasn't ever really done anything else like this... He was just caught in the heat of the moment. I can't watch the video either right now but I hope it shows the massive headshot Moore put on Vancouver's then captain Naslund before this incident.... It helps explain it a little better.

Do you think hockey fans around here are morons? Why wouldn't we know about Bertuzzi? And it was not "the heat of the moment." Moore's hit on Naslund happened 3 weeks before Bertuzzi ended Moore's career. Get your facts straight!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi#Steve_Moore_incident' target="_blank">Steve Moore Incident[/post]

Yeah I know mistakes happen. But he showed REALLY bad judgement. He may not have been trying to break his neck, but he was definitely trying to injure him (the players said before the game that there was a price on Moore's head). That would be why he pled guilty to assault causing bodily harm. It was completely intentional.

On top of that, I don't even buy that he's remorseful. Remember he just recently filed a lawsuit against his then coach Marc Crawford alleging that as the coach, Crawford was actually responsible for Moore's injury. He's just making excuses now because he knows he will probably have to pay up huge in a civil settlement.

The fact that Moore hit Naslund first doesn't excuse his actions. He was headhunting... that is the opposite of heat of the moment. And for the record, the Vancouver coaches said that Bertuzzi was directly ordered to get off the ice before the hit.

Honestly, our team is better off without him.

Wow, dont pass me the bong he hit when he chose those 3 teams.

Seriously someone drug test that man.

It would appear he is more interested in warm weather than quality hockey.

Tampa is buying out Prospal, so maybe Tanguay decided on Tampa.

With Tampa buying out Prospal, there's another cheap option.

Do you think hockey fans around here are morons? Why wouldn't we know about Bertuzzi? And it was not "the heat of the moment." Moore's hit on Naslund happened 3 weeks before Bertuzzi ended Moore's career. Get your facts straight!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi#Steve_Moore_incident' target="_blank">Steve Moore Incident[/post]

I didn't say it was in the same game, I said it had happened before. And if the Canucks were that mad about it they obviously had discussed it and knew Moore had a hit coming back to him. If I remember right that is why the Coach got in trouble (and Bertuzzi partially blamed him) because after the game I think the coach even said he had it coming to him. You don't think maybe the coach told his guys to go out there and lay a big hit on him? Naslund was their captain and leading scorer, are you telling me that if Staal got laid out (let's just say by Avery) on a head-shot that received no penalty/suspension and resulted in Staal having a concussion, broken bones, and missing some games that you don't think our players would be extremely upset and looking to lay a big hit on Avery the next time we played them?

I'm sorry but headhunting happens all the time. I would have to say the Canes themselves have been headhunting Orpik since the day he broke Cole's neck. When a player injures one of your teammates on a dirty hit the "headhunting" begins, that's not a mystery. I'll use the Walker/Ward incident as an example, first off Ward completely didn't defend himself and if you don't think he could have been severely injured by Walker's punch you are kidding yourself. Thank god he wasn't, but the same punch could knock a guy out all the same with a concussion, broken bones, ect... It could have been much much worse. And after the game one of the players (Axelsson I think?) said they wouldn't let the punch get to them in the playoffs but they would certainly remember it playing against Carolina next season (Headhunting Walker). This happens all the time on every team, we do it, and the Bertuzzi situation was just awful because Moore was severely injured as a result which happens very rarely but does happen. That was also many years ago and I think since then Bertuzzi has been very remorseful and certainly hasn't tried anything like that since. I'd be willing to give him a shot, he's going to have the same stigma brought up here anywhere he goes I just figured out of all the teams in the NHL the Canes and their fans would be more willing to accept him as we are certainly more apt to forgetting what a player has done in the past and focusing more on how they can help our team now.

Or maybe he is just more interested in the millions more he will make on a team that has the salary space to pay him the big bucks.

Yes it would have been sweet! We definitely need a top line winger or a young solid 2nd line center who could be a potential 1st liner. I have a feeling JR will part ways with some players that will upset some fans but it needs to happen. JR is in the business of winning so he knows something needs to be done.