The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
RonnieFranchise

Team Depth

Yes it would have been sweet! We definitely need a top line winger or a young solid 2nd line center who could be a potential 1st liner. I have a feeling JR will part ways with some players that will upset some fans but it needs to happen. JR is in the business of winning so he knows something needs to be done.

You say young solid 2nd line center who could be a 1st liner. Oh we did have him if you dont remember Patty O'Sullivan. But yes I know he wasnt going to play here. But your request is totally filled by O'Sullivan. As for what we need this year, nothing. We're done. I'd be suprised if JR does anything else unless he can get his hands on a REAL good deal. Im completely okay with JR trying out ANY potential 1st line winger this year as long as its only for 1 year! I dont care who he tries out. For all I care he can go out and sign Bates Battaglia to a one year deal and plop him on the 1st line and see how that works. Lets say we do get Afinoginov for 1 year at 1.5 million. Suits me fine, he plays on the 1st line, he fails. Maurice then goes back to Whitney - Staal - Cole on the 1st line and drops Afinoginov to 2nd or 3rd line for the rest of the year where he can really do no harm. He would make a fantastic 3rd line winger. Then the year comes up, we dont resign him and go after a true first line winger (Frolov).

OR, Afinoginov works out fantastic. He becomes the 1st line winger that the team needed. He rekindles his lost scoring touch. He blows minds, dangles, sets up Staal and they SCORE! Then you re-sign him to more money, and trust he is the 1st line winger for the next 2-3 years that we want.

Its a win-win situation really, because we do have the money now, we can afford anything under 2.5 and still be at or just over our self imposed budget if im not mistaken. However, I wouldnt care if JR just decided to skip the whole 1st line winger problem and save that for next year either. We got to the ECF without the scoring line winger we needed. Chad Larose was playing on our 1st line and that worked out just fine! So really, if JR takes a one year experiment and it works out (Like Samsonov) thats great, or if it doesnt (Anson Carter) then thats okay, we're free of it next year.

JR, Go for It! Or not! Doesnt matter to me, im a happy fan after what you've done this summer no matter what.

Absolute no to Bertuzzi. He is is lazy, horrible defensively and takes awful penalties. He is no longer a first line winger, either.

I'd much rather have Afinogenov. His last two seasons have been horrible and he has had some trouble staying healthy, but he has incredible speed and stickhandling talents and is an offensive force when he is on his game. If the rumors about him not wanting to go back to Russia are true, then maybe we could pick him up on a cheap one-year deal for around $1M. No real risk involved there except some dollars.

As I've never ventured into this thread before, I'm somewhat appalled to discover Bertuzzi's name being discussed.

No. Just no.

+1

Sometimes some of you all really make me wonder what the heck your thinking or how you come to these conclusions. But Bertuzzi is by far the worst suggestion made in a long time.

Sometimes some of you all really make me wonder what the heck your thinking or how you come to these conclusions. But Bertuzzi is by far the worst suggestion made in a long time.

Its like Sleep Deprivation

You know what happens when you are forced to stay awake for an exteneded period. Hallucinations.

This is kind of like that but is Hockey Deprivation. When you are forced to go a long time without hockey,

these kind of crazy behaviours surface.