The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

THN- 2009-10 regular season predictions

That's a high expectation for Ward, considering he hasn't hit over 15 points since leaving the Canes. 60 points as a ceiling for Pitkanen's a little high as well. That's just on the defense.

That's a high expectation for Ward, considering he hasn't hit over 15 points since leaving the Canes. 60 points as a ceiling for Pitkanen's a little high as well. That's just on the defense.

Yeah your probably right about Ward, however I thought he might get a high in points just because he will be playing with Pitkanen. 60 is a stretch for Pits, but I think hes capable, but it is a ceiling number.

the site has narrowed it down to either boston or the crapitals for first or second. if theodore starts for them this season they are not goin to get 1st or 2nd, if varlamov from the Hersheysquirts starts they'll have a better chance but i still doubt it, i think he was just a flash in the pan.

the site has narrowed it down to either boston or the crapitals for first or second. if theodore starts for them this season they are not goin to get 1st or 2nd, if varlamov from the Hersheysquirts starts they'll have a better chance but i still doubt it, i think he was just a flash in the pan.

They got second last year with Theodore in net.

I think a Division title is possible but I feel we'll see another tight playoff race between seven teams fighting down to the last game of the regular season for the final five playoff spots. My biggest determining factors will be Brindy and how his season will go, if it will take Sammi close to the end of November again to finally get on the score board, is Jussi for real or will he morph into a Panther or Star again now that he has a new contract, and last not least, how many mood swings Staal will have before the All-Star break.

Varlamov played pretty well in the two playoff series. Considering he didn't play at all in the regular season, I don't know how you can call that a flash in the pan. The Crapitals also have Micheal Neuverth, who they say is ready if needed. But, Ovie is Ovie, and don't look for any let down there. I wouldn't be surprised to see them 2, don't think 1, more likely 3.

They got second last year with Theodore in net.

True, but of the entire eastern conference the 9 teams gave up less goals than them, and their defense didn't get any better, they lost their number 2 goalie who gave up only 53 goals of the 245 goals they gave up in 21 starts. like i said, i believe varlamov was a flash in the pan is still inexperienced. they had a great offensive year last year but they also had alot of lucky bounces and luck will run out.

playing good in the playoff is one thing but can he carry it into the regular season, think about cam ward in the stanley cup year, he did amazing in the playoff that year, then it took 2 misses and a third season after to get back in and then he did great in the play offs again, varlamov could be like ward and be a clutch goalie, im hoping that the hurricanes have worked up their defense to the point where we can be division leader and not even give the capitals a possibility at 1st 2nd or 3rd spot.

playing good in the playoff is one thing but can he carry it into the regular season, think about cam ward in the stanley cup year, he did amazing in the playoff that year, then it took 2 misses and a third season after to get back in and then he did great in the play offs again, varlamov could be like ward and be a clutch goalie, im hoping that the hurricanes have worked up their defense to the point where we can be division leader and not even give the capitals a possibility at 1st 2nd or 3rd spot.

You have to accomplish something first to even be eligible for a flash in the pan monacre. Varlomov was drafted in 06, and played two playoff series last year. He didn't light the world on fire but he certainly wasn't terrible either. Comparing him to Cam Ward really isn't fair. Cam won a Con Smyth in his first real NHL opportunity. If Cam had just faded away I might justifiably label him a flash in the pan. Varlomov is just another young goalie trying to stick in the NHL.

You have to accomplish something first to even be eligible for a flash in the pan monacre. Varlomov was drafted in 06, and played two playoff series last year. He didn't light the world on fire but he certainly wasn't terrible either. Comparing him to Cam Ward really isn't fair. Cam won a Con Smyth in his first real NHL opportunity. If Cam had just faded away I might justifiably label him a flash in the pan. Varlomov is just another young goalie trying to stick in the NHL.

Couldn't agree more. Cam is a proven goalie now. I think we all hope the D is better this year. Cam was called on to make monster saves last year just to keep the Canes in the game. He has a good GOA average and with a improved D it should get even better.

Don't like predictions because so much can happen but I think the Canes challenge for 1st in the

Southeast this season. IMO the east is going to be another dogfight and I expect another season of

nail biting. The key for the Canes is to stay healthy and maybe add another winger.

Couldn't agree more. Cam is a proven goalie now. I think we all hope the D is better this year. Cam was called on to make monster saves last year just to keep the Canes in the game. He has a good GOA average and with a improved D it should get even better.

Don't like predictions because so much can happen but I think the Canes challenge for 1st in the

Southeast this season. IMO the east is going to be another dogfight and I expect another season of

nail biting. The key for the Canes is to stay healthy and maybe add another winger.

IMO the east is going to be another dogfight and I expect another season of

That's what makes it so FUN, assumming of course we do make the playoffs! :blink:

ok, so flash in the pan is not the statement but do you criticize if i say he exceeded his expectations? anyways, all im trying to say is... goal tending had little to do with their success last year and their offense had a exceptional year out side of OV. OV will always out do himself but the offense around him had exceptional year and might be different. the caps arnt a bad team, but i think that most of their offense had a good year last year and everyone might not be intone next year

ok, so flash in the pan is not the statement but do you criticize if i say he exceeded his expectations?

Actually, I would just say your wrong, not criticize you. There's been alot of buzz around Varlomov since he was drafted. I'm pretty sure he went 23rd overall. So, if holding his own in two playoff series in his first real NHL test afer being drafted in the first round is overacheiving, then you have me there. Let's move on. They have Ovie, something close to consistency in net will get the job done.

*this post was edited to say Welcome to the Boards!

ovie does get it done for them, his scoring consistency is something that is just miraculous but beside his talent, i just don't think one play can do it all. ok so caps repeat last years performance, did our off season bring in a defense that can put us ahead of them?

I'll make a prediction of another sort. I think the SE gets 3 teams in the postseason this coming year. With a healthy Lehtonen in net, I think Atlanta can make a run at a playoff spot. MTL out, ATL in.

I'll make a prediction of another sort. I think the SE gets 3 teams in the postseason this coming year. With a healthy Lehtonen in net, I think Atlanta can make a run at a playoff spot. MTL out, ATL in.

It better be this year, cause I think Kovlachuk is gone after this season, if not at the trade deadline.

I wouldn't be shocked to see three SE teams in the playoffs, but I think Tampa's got a better chance at making it than Atlanta.