The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sutter16

Canes Sign Stephane Yelle

Dadgummit, I knew it, just knew it. I thought for once this summer everyone was going to agree on something. Oh well, pass the popcorn.

I beat you to the draw on this one coastal

Read this thread http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20301' target="_blank">...if I were GM[/post].

There is about 100 pages there for your entertainment. After you finish that homework assignment, we'll talk. Oh, and welcome to the board.

Actually, if you had read, you would realize that I've posted quite a few times on that thread preaching the same thing. Thanks. No need to be rude. I'm just saying that we need more natural skill.

Actually, if you had read, you would realize that I've posted quite a few times on that thread preaching the same thing. Thanks. No need to be rude. I'm just saying that we need more natural skill.

Not being rude, just noticing you had 9 posts and I was saying welcome. We have discussed a lot of what you were asking about in the 100 page thread I linked you to so you could take a look at it. We've beaten the top winger thing into the ground around here.

This is a good signing yes, but can we please stop fooling around signing all these gritty grindy old rough and tough players and focus on finding some flash and skill. You still have to score goals ya know. We're too friggin' gritty and still too slow and small up front besides Staal and Cole maybe. Trade somebody or something..give me a flashy Russian or European..geez please! Look at the league people. Anybody have any inside information on any transactions that will actually help us offensively? We cant be that darn broke and poor.

I somewhat agree but you aren't going to find one of those flashy players for $550k. Until some of the older contracts come off the books next season, I like what JR has done with the roster. There's always room for trades after camp when they see what they have as a group. Seems like unless your the Rangers or Montreal, those flashy players need to be drafted and home grown. Signing a player like Yelle allows another year of development in Albany for our high end prospects. Maybe one of them becomes flashy right next to Staal next season?

Disclaimer: no popcorn needed for this response

Dang JR is really outdoing himself this offseason...I don't think there's a soul here who isn't at least somewhat pleased with the moves we've made this summer.

Of course though we'll continue to be overlooked...as will JR's quiet, but excellent decisions. Cannot wait though for the season to start...just watching our revamped 4th line is gonna be a blast.

This is a good signing yes, but can we please stop fooling around signing all these gritty grindy old rough and tough players and focus on finding some flash and skill. You still have to score goals ya know. We're too friggin' gritty and still too slow and small up front besides Staal and Cole maybe. Trade somebody or something..give me a flashy Russian or European..geez please! Look at the league people. Anybody have any inside information on any transactions that will actually help us offensively? We cant be that darn broke and poor.

and we should assume you will cover the additional expense? JR has you on speed dial so just fax the invoice over so that your people can pay his people?

Dang JR is really outdoing himself this offseason...I don't think there's a soul here who isn't at least somewhat pleased with the moves we've made this summer.

Of course though we'll continue to be overlooked...as will JR's quiet, but excellent decisions. Cannot wait though for the season to start...just watching our revamped 4th line is gonna be a blast.

well we do have one major issue, we have to wait almost 30 days to see the guys on the ice for a pre-season game!

Any chance we can keep from running new members off the board with sarcastic replies to their legitimate posts?

Thanks.

Any chance we can keep from running new members off the board with sarcastic replies to their legitimate posts?

Thanks.

flashy Europeans/Russians come at a price. all I ask is if you are going to suggest that then either pay for it or say we can trade player X to team A for OvieMalkCros (and know that the player we trade doesn't have an NTC).

If a new member is that sensitive then why in the world are the on a hockey message board?

flashy Europeans/Russians come at a price. all I ask is if you are going to suggest that then either pay for it or say we can trade player X to team A for OvieMalkCros (and know that the player we trade doesn't have an NTC).

If a new member is that sensitive then why in the world are the on a hockey message board?

Are you really suggesting how people should post their thoughts to accomodate what you want?

No offense but you are the last person on this board who should be demanding anything from anyone for as much as you've complained and offended others.

Any further discussion about this should be taken to pm with a staff member.

Carry on...

For JR to get the players he did, whether by trade or the FA route with the self imposed budget he put in place, then to resign guys like Ruutu, Cole, LaRose and the Juice on top of it, JR is the best at signing the right guys for the right price. He also knows what type of guy will fit in with this team. He is not going to bring in a guy who is not going to fit in, so why go out and sign a big name star who is about himself and not about the team.

To sign a guy like Yelle who has big time playoff experience was a brilliant move and at "cheap" $500,000 for 1 yr which gives guys like Sutter more time to develop. So to ask JR to go out and spend top dollar on guys we can't afford is out of the question. We probably have the most balanced team in the league. We aren't depending on one or two guys to get it done. Any one of the guys on the 4 lines can get it done on any given night.

While we have definitely taken a hit in the goalscoring category from the Cup year (and even from last year), there's hope that the increased defensive and physical play will offset that. That's a slippery slope, however, as one can find themselves too defensively minded and too physically based that they sacrifice goal-scoring for it (see: The Panthers the past couple years)

What JR looks like he's trying to do is find a balance that will work for the team while under his limited cap. I'm admittedly concerned about the balance we've got at the moment, since the offense did take a hit from last season, and we really didn't have a surplus of that in the first place (2nd to last in GF for Eastern playoff teams). However, as already stated, since JR focused on the defense first this off-season, we really didn't have the cap space available to improve the offense. Thus, we need to use the limited cap space remaining on trying to improve the defensive play to a point where the lost offense will be offset (as the Rangers did last season).

The balance does worry me, however, as we were literally 10 goals away from missing the playoffs. The Panthers allowed 5 more goals than the Canes and scored 5 less to wind up in the 9th spot. Here's hoping that this increased physical play can open up enough room for the players that can score to at least keep that 10 goal difference.

What a great signing! He is outstanding on faceoffs, awesome defensively and a real pest to the opponent. He was always one to notice when we play Boston. Gritty player that others likely hate facing.

Great signing!

This place is starting to look like Bruins south.

:lol:

Some added depth.

Interesting comments from Jim about Stephan and the tryouts... Looks like a few people will get a thanks but no thanks camp reply.

It's late, but I've got to get my 02 in. I thought JR would make one more move after signing Ward, and I was hoping he could work some real magic and get Afinogenov, but that was probably unrealistic thinking. Yelle was my second hope from the remaining free agents. This is a great move. He brings a lot to the team: Experience, physicality, leadership and more. I don't think I've ever been this excited in the pre-season.

Its a pretty refreshing summer considering we haven't been that active in the free agent market the past couple years. It was good to hear that guys are noticing what Carolina has to offer, signing here, and to see us attract the players in the $1M to $2.5M range because we are just not going to be a major free agent player given our budget.

And Yelle was #18 in the NHL in face-off percentage last year at 52.6%, so that gives us another good face-off man w/Brindy. Good signing JR!
That was his rank in the playoffs. In the regular season, he was 52.0% and 33rd in the League. But, still, a good solid face-off guy. Nice point, nhbeast.

The best thing about this is it really completes us. I didn't know who was going to take draws past Cullen Brindy and Staal - I knew Jokinen could do it, but I think we all like him on the wing. Chad played Center in juniors, but you don't want him on the 4th line. Walker took draws in Nashville, but not his best thing...

Staal clearly is number 1 center and Cullen is clearly 2. Brindy and Yelle will battle for the third spot but the good thing is no matter what, we now have 4 solid NHL centers.

Another solid PKer and another veteran. Love this signing - especially at the money. We are paying Kostopolous and Yelle pretty much what we paid Eaves - what a great off season we have had.

News flash .... forward to Oct. 3, 2009, Boston Garden. "The Carolina Hurricanes defeat the Boston Bruins 1-0 on a single goal by Stephane Yelle, assited by Scott Walker and Aaron Ward." Would be kinda weird ... just sayin.

Yelle is a great signing!. Great Job by JR! Can't wait to see this group on the ice. It looks as if we have some speed, some physicality, some scoring, and some defense. Looks like we have to find the right combinations now!

not to mention a potential Billy Idol music spot on the new video board.

Okay, how many times this summer have ppl said "A guy like Yelle would be perfect?". How many times did we say "A guy like Alberts would be perfect!". You know, im finally starting to believe JR DOES read these!

Otherwise, great signing, good price, a solid stop-gap fill in our 4th line. Allows Sutter to play in the AHL no matter what. This gives us a dangerously good defensive 4th line, and allows Brindy to play the 3rd line. If Brindy doesnt play well, I really dont see Yelle stepping up to the 3rd line, I just dont think hes that kind of player, he brings NO offence to the table. If Brindy goes down the 4th, Yelle moves to the wing and Jokinen centers the 3rd.

I predict our penalty killers now to be : Scott Walker, Brindy, Yelle, Cullen, Larose. Walker, Yelle and Brindy are above average PK guys, Cullen and Larose are very solid. Jokinen, Cole, Staal and TKO could also be potential fill ins on the PK. We are deep defensivly, and hopefully on the kill we can really use all of these players to not tire a particular pairing out.

Im happy going into next year with this team. We do need an injection of offence, and we dont have it, but lets face it, we arent going to get it this summer. We just hope that Pitkanen steps up and fills in the hole of Babchuk's production, and offensivly we NEED Cole to have a great year. Our offence is too thin at this point so really it isnt acceptable for our offensive minded players : Staal, Whitney, Cullen, Ruutu, Jokinen, Samsonov not to have good years. Staal needs to produce back in the 80 + point range, Whitney 70-80, Cole 60, Ruutu 50-60, Cullen 50- 60, Sammy and Jokinen both need 45 +. If we dont get that, we are going to have ALOT of 2-1 games.

Walker playing the PK? I can't remember Walker ever playing the PK. I think it'd be much more likely to see TKO play the PK, since he did that in Montreal.

If Brindamour's healthy enough to play the PK, I see it as Brindamour-TKO and Cullen-LaRose. If not, Yelle-TKO and Cullen-LaRose.