The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sutter16

Canes Sign Stephane Yelle

Hopefully olympic hockey will be televised.

I cant remember a time it hasn't been televised. NBC should have the whole thing, I loved olympic hockey in College. Turn the TV on and hockey seemed to be on allllllll day.

Possibility to consider? Are you watching to much "House?" Based on your considerations last season.....I won't read to much into it. I agree on a little bit but its way to early to consider who will do what.

Can you even remember what I considered last season? No? I didn't think so.

If you don't believe that a lack of scoring from most of our forwards is a concern, or at least a possibility, there's no talking to you. I swear, if we're going to hope that Jokinen reverts back to his rookie season or that Samsonov bounces back and puts up 70 points from the 3rd line, you've also got to consider that the opposite might happen.

It's simple fact that this team doesn't have the same firepower that it's had in the past, and while it's defensive play is also greater than it has been in the past, it's yet to be seen if this team can find that balance needed to succeed. Sure, you can look at last season, but if we're going to try to take the division (let alone the conference) as I see predicted in the other topic, last season's just not going to be good enough, is it?

Can you even remember what I considered last season? No? I didn't think so.

If you don't believe that a lack of scoring from most of our forwards is a concern, or at least a possibility, there's no talking to you. I swear, if we're going to hope that Jokinen reverts back to his rookie season or that Samsonov bounces back and puts up 70 points from the 3rd line, you've also got to consider that the opposite might happen.

It's simple fact that this team doesn't have the same firepower that it's had in the past, and while it's defensive play is also greater than it has been in the past, it's yet to be seen if this team can find that balance needed to succeed. Sure, you can look at last season, but if we're going to try to take the division (let alone the conference) as I see predicted in the other topic, last season's just not going to be good enough, is it?

While I am generally optimistic this time of year, I do agree with your point about questions up front. We have a lot of depth, with solid 2nd/3rd liners all the way to our 10th forward, but there are precious few guys with "write it in ink they'll get x points" proven ability to push past 50 points. Staal for sure. Then who? Whitney, yes, but he is at risk to the aging issue. Then who?

Brindy: major question marks. Did play better at end, but not so much in playoffs. Another year older. Some evidence suggested drop off before knee injury. If finds old self yes, but not likely.

Cullen: I think he is going to break out, but he has never broken 50 points and there's always the concussions.

Cole: good for 20 goals, but no evidence that he will return to old form, and not an assist guy, so 20 goals is not as great as expectations. Could return to form, but hasn't yet.

Ruutu: I think he will be solid, but only put up 50 points once. Last year.

Sammy: not broken 50 points since 2001-2002. Has put up 75 points, and could again, but it's been 8 years since he's been close.

Jokinen: career max 55 points, NEVER had more than 17 goals. He surely could break out, but then again...certainly a question to even get 20 goals.

LaRose: love him, but 19 goals was by far his career year, and while I think he will repeat, he only had 12 assists, for 31 points.

Walker: has put up 20+ G/50+ points 3 times in his career, but he isn't getting any younger and surely won't do this from the 4th line.

This is why we need a top winger. Of course there is no way we are getting that, but we need it. We have a lot of guys who have the potential to really produce, but only two who can reasonably be counted on to produce, Staal and Whitney, and Whitney is 37.

Still, the hope is that a gritty, tough checking team with great chemistry and an upgraded defense will allow Cam Ward to get us in and make another run.

A bit off topic, but with the recent additions do we still qualify for revenue sharing?

I'm guessing not because they go by the cap number and not salary. Our cap is 55mil, so we don't have much room there. I never heard the exact number we need to be under to qualify, but at this point I don't think we will.

I'm guessing not because they go by the cap number and not salary. Our cap is 55mil, so we don't have much room there. I never heard the exact number we need to be under to qualify, but at this point I don't think we will.

I'll post a response to this in the GM thread.

Went away for four days and came back and saw the news. I thought we would go get a winger but this is nice.

Yelle adds toughness and insurance at the center position. I think we are going to have a heck of a fourth line.

Went away for four days and came back and saw the news. I thought we would go get a winger but this is nice.

Yelle adds toughness and insurance at the center position. I think we are going to have a heck of a fourth line.