The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Prospect Tourny in Traverse MI

Canes to Return to Traverse City Rookie Tourney

Dalpe, Nash and Skinner look to help defend Hurricanes’ prospects tournament title

Tuesday, 08.03.2010 / 3:43 PM

By Ken Preston

2010 Tournament Roster

RALEIGH, NC – Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager for the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, announced today that the Hurricanes will participate in the 2010 NHL Prospects Tournament from Sept. 11-15, in Traverse City, MI. This marks Carolina’s second appearance at the annual tournament, hosted by the Detroit Red Wings. The Hurricanes’ squad won the tournament in 2009.

Jeff Daniels, head coach and general manager of Carolina’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, along with Charlotte assistant coach Geordie Kinnear, will coach the Hurricanes’ team in the tournament. Teams will be comprised of drafted players and signees from each NHL club, as well as amateur tryout invitees. A limited number of players with prior minor-league experience, but in no case more than one full season, are eligible to compete. Top Hurricanes prospects Zac Dalpe, Michal Jordan, Matt Kennedy, Mike Murphy, Riley Nash, Rasmus Rissanen, Jeff Skinner and Jared Staal highlight Carolina’s squad. A complete roster for Carolina’s team at the 2010 NHL Prospects Tournament can be found here.

The Hurricanes will open tournament play on Saturday, Sept. 11, against the Minnesota Wild at 3 p.m. Carolina then will take on the New York Rangers on Sunday, Sept. 12, at 5:30 p.m., before finishing round-robin play against Columbus on Tuesday, Sept. 14, at 6:30 p.m. Once the eight teams have finished round-robin play in two groups, each team will play a final game on Wednesday, Sept. 15, to determine final tournament ranking, with the championship game taking place at 6 p.m. All games will take place at Centre Ice Arena, the training camp home of the Red Wings.

Please visit http://www.centreice...tTournament.htm for more information on the 2010 NHL Prospects Tournament.

Maybe someone here knows some place to view it on the net that they wouldnt mind sharing with you in PM.

Canes are sending Kyle Hanlin to Traverse City tournament so CH.com will have pictures and updates.

Update from Kyle Hanlin:

Game #1 Canes @ Minnesota 3pm

Prospects Tournament: Hurricanes vs. Minnesota

Saturday, 09.11.2010 / 10:06 AM

By Kyle Hanlin

Hurricanes Manager of Media Relations / Broadcast Coordinator Kyle Hanlin is in Traverse City for the 2010 prospects tournament and will be tweeting live updates during each game. Follow him on Twitter @KyleHanlin or check here for updates throughout the day.

For more information on the Traverse City tournament, including scores, schedules, lineups and statsitics, please click here.

Pre-Game Notes: Hurricanes vs. Minnesota

** Matt Kennedy will wear the captain's C for the rookie tourney team in Traverse City.

*yawn* We lost. 0 shots from Nash and Skinner's 7 hit the goalie's logo. Where are these "great" prospects?

Did you watch the game? Sound like the Canes outplayed the Wild but just couldn't solve the goalie.

Here's recap from Kyle Hanlin:

Final: Minnesota 2, Hurricanes 1

• Look for Dalpe's, Nash's and Skinner's names on score sheet in next game(s). Murphy was good, despite the 2 in 1st per.
  • Players all said that they settled in after uneasy 1st, and were the better team in 2nd and 3rd.
  • Tournament scoreboard: http://carhur.com/bd2
  • Today's game box score: http://carhur.com/bd1
  • Exciting finish. Canes had chances w/ extra skater. Final: MIN 2 Canes 1. Shots: MIN 22 Canes 30.
  • Canes use time out with 51.7 seconds remaining. Murphy out for extra skater.
  • 1:20 remaining. Canes trail 2-1. Coach Daniels looks poised to pull Murphy.
  • Pistilli's stick broken by Caron slash on partial breakaway w/8:25 remaining. Fight ensued. Canes PP.
  • Good for McKenzie. Hackett had robbed him twice w/ the glove on breakaways. And dad @TSNBobMcKenzie is in the house watching.
  • Mike McKenzie scores at 5:22 of 3rd to make it 2-1! Rifle of a shot from sharp angle. Assist to Austin Levi.
  • KyleHanlin Team exchanged power plays in first 5 min of 3rd. Still 2-0 Wild.
  • Underway in 3rd. Hoping Twitter app and cell service pull me thru. Internet down in rink. :(
  • Having some internet, Twitter and cell issues. Still 2-0 after 2nd.
  • End of 1st per, Wild lead 2-0. Shots: MIN 11, CAR 6.
  • Wild take 2-0 lead on goal by Joel Broda at 17:51 of 1st. MIN leads 2-0.
  • Mike McKenzie's breakaway chance thwarted by Wild netminder Matt Hackett's glove w/ under 3 min to go in 1st.
  • Wild's Tyler Johnson score PP goal at 12:53, shortly after Canes' Michael MacDonald took delay of game penalty. 1-0 MIN.
  • Still 0-0 midway thru 1st per. Minnesota leads in shots, 6-3.
  • Canes' Mike McKenzie takes game's first penalty (tripping). Canes kill off Wild PP.
  • Canes' 2009 prospects tourney team honored w/ pre-game banner raising.
  • Carolina defensive pairings: Levi-Jordan, Rissanen-Lawson, Hill-Stahl
  • Canes forward lines: McKenzie-McNicoll-Pistilli, MacDonald-Dalpe-Staal, Collins-Nash-Shugg, Caria-Skinner-Kennedy
  • Got the good word - Matt Kennedy will wear the captain's C for the @nhl_canes rookie tourney team in Traverse City.

Next game today: Canes @ Rangers 5:30pm

Yikes, the Lightning prospects game went 16 rounds into a shoot out and beat Detroit 4-3. :o

In Canes news, NHL.com had a nice article about Jeff Skinner and how he may make a case for himself in Raleigh.

Strong Play can put Moore, Skinner in NHL mix

NHL.com

"He's prepared himself properly from a strength point of view to play in our League this year," Carolina General Manager Jim Rutherford said. "He's got the skill level and the determination, so he's a guy who will have a really good chance at making our team."

They both looked pretty calm and composed during the early stages of the Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament for their respective teams this week.

Skinner, whose summer regimen included workouts with retired hockey forward Gary Roberts, is hoping to make an impression in Traverse City before entering main camp. Skinner's program included four days at Roberts' facility for muscle training and two days of cardio -- also prescribed by Roberts -- on his own.

"Anytime you go to a camp, you're trying to make a team," Skinner said. "That's what my mindset is going to (training camp) -- I'm trying to make a hockey club. I'm just going to work my hardest and see if they think I can fit in. I'm not worried about the future because all I have to worry about is right now -- how I play the next game."

Carolina coach Paul Maurice just was glad to see Skinner having fun.

"What I think I liked most was the way he was having fun out there," Maurice said. "He's got a smile on his face and tongue hanging out. He's a young guy who's not out there on pins and needles worrying about making a mistake. He's trying to create with the puck and I think that's great."

Day off today for the Canes prospects, next game Tues @6:30pm against Columbus.

Line up for the game tonight per Kyle:

Dalpe-Skinner-Kennedy,

McKenzie-Nash-Staal,

MacDonald-Caria-Shugg,

Collins-McNicoll-Pistilli

Levi-Jordan

Rissanen-Lawson

Hill-Stahl

Murphy in goal

6-1 Canes younguns. Dalpe, Skinner and Kennedy figuring large on the boxscore.

8-1 now, ouch canes bringing the hurt down, hope it doesn't get ugly.

8 to 1! :rockon: Hope to see more of this once the season starts!

Mike Murphy has faced 80 shots and has stopped 77 of them through these 3 games. Can't wait to see this kid stone opposing AHL'ers.

It looks like Minnesota wins the division so no back to back championships for us which is a bummer. Still would be nice to finish off whoever we got tomorrow I think.

Edited by captain_jack88

Canes take on Tampa for the 3rd place game @ 5:30pm

Line up:

Dalpe-Skinner-Kennedy,

McKenzie-Nash-Staal,

MacDonald-Caria-Shugg,

Collins-McNicoll-Pistilli

Levi-Jordan

Rissanen-Lawson

Hill-Stahl

Passingham in goal