The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PeteMoss

Canes Shut Out

This just sucks. TWC has maybe a handful of games in HD for the Canes. Fox 50 or whatever they call it now has just the worst SD broadcast. Maybe I should move to Direct TV. Does anyone know if you get the Canes games in HD on Direct TV without getting Center Ice.

Personally I hate VS coverage. I much prefer FSN and NBC.

Besides, we can usually find them online too....with my XM as the voiceover.

on the subject of VS, the biggest mistake the NHL did was going through the lockout and causing ESPN to drop coverage. :angry:

and...like Jimmy says...see us in the playoffs.. ;)

This just sucks. TWC has maybe a handful of games in HD for the Canes. Fox 50 or whatever they call it now has just the worst SD broadcast. Maybe I should move to Direct TV. Does anyone know if you get the Canes games in HD on Direct TV without getting Center Ice.

With respect to FSN, whether you get HD or not for Canes games normally depends on how many HD trucks they have available to send to the rink to broadcast in HD. With CenterIce you can watch the alternate feed from the opposing teams source, if they are broadcasting. Alot are in HD, some are not, for the same reason.

It'd be awfully nice if we could get TSN in the states like we can get the BBC

Amen to that. I'd trade in all the ESPN channels for TSN. Won't ever happen, but we can dream.

CI will have some of the non-FSN games, pretty much any of them that are not on a Vs exclusive night (unless the road team doesn't cover them either, but that is rare). It looks like 5 or 6 will be non-televised, so maybe an additional 10 or 11 will be on CI.

As far as FSN picking them up, I highly doubt that. They already have a contract in place for 65 games, they would have to pay more to carry more, as well as changing the contract. Not likely. Best hope is for more HD games, which I'll remain optimistic about. Any ideas when the FSN schedule is due out?

So let's see... Tampa gets TWO games? And they can show Caps/Flyers, Caps/B's, Hawks/Wild, Flyers/Devils, Rags/Devils, and Flyers/ISLANDERS twice APIECE...

...but they have no room for a conference finalist?

Average VS. appearances by the other three members of last year's conference finals: 8.67

Carolina appearances on Versus: 0

I wasn't too upset earlier, but the more I think about this, the more it angers me.

So let's see... Tampa gets TWO games? And they can show Caps/Flyers, Caps/B's, Hawks/Wild, Flyers/Devils, Rags/Devils, and Flyers/ISLANDERS twice APIECE...

...but they have no room for a conference finalist?

Average VS. appearances by the other three members of last year's conference finals: 8.67

Carolina appearances on Versus: 0

I wasn't too upset earlier, but the more I think about this, the more it angers me.

That's what happened with me too-the more I thought about it, the more it seemed wrong. So I emailed VS and encouraged others to do the same. It's not going to make any difference, but it made me feel better.

Am I the only one who's not at all surprised? We never get respect from anybody else, so why would VS be any different?

Honestly, I'm at the point where I just assume anybody in the hockey world will overlook, if not completely disrespect us. I'm more surprised when that isn't the case than when it is.

It'd be awfully nice if we could get TSN in the states like we can get the BBC
I've never understood the reason why there's no way (that I know of) in cable or sat to get TSN or CBC channels. I get like 6 or 8 stinking Spanish language channels. With all the Canadians and Canadian border state transplants living down here, you would think that population would be enough to merit carrying a Canadian channel.

I've never understood the reason why there's no way (that I know of) in cable or sat to get TSN or CBC channels. I get like 6 or 8 stinking Spanish language channels. With all the Canadians and Canadian border state transplants living down here, you would think that population would be enough to merit carrying a Canadian channel.

HNIC! Hockey Night in... Carolina?

IMO any self respecting Hurricanes fan would NOT watch one game on Versus. I know I will not.

Honestly, I'm with you.. I could care less if we are on Versus or not. Why should we want to be on national television so that the broadcasters can drool all over the other team and accuse us of cheating when we beat the Penguins, Devils, Rangers, and Red Wings. I don't want to watch a Canes game and listen to 60 minutes of Crosby fanboyishness(yeah, thats a word..I just made it one..LOL)

I like FSN and John and Tripp are mostly neutral.. only slightly Homerish, which is ok for a home team announcer.

I re-read what you posted, and I assume you mean not watching ANY game on VS, not a Canes game if it was on.. I can't argue with you there, but i read it as to mean why would we watch the Canes on VS.

As long as we have a local channel that shows 65+ games we don't need to be on other networks.

Honestly, I'm with you.. I could care less if we are on Versus or not. Why should we want to be on national television so that the broadcasters can drool all over the other team and accuse us of cheating when we beat the Penguins, Devils, Rangers, and Red Wings. I don't want to watch a Canes game and listen to 60 minutes of Crosby fanboyishness(yeah, thats a word..I just made it one..LOL)

I like FSN and John and Tripp are mostly neutral.. only slightly Homerish, which is ok for a home team announcer.

I re-read what you posted, and I assume you mean not watching ANY game on VS, not a Canes game if it was on.. I can't argue with you there, but i read it as to mean why would we watch the Canes on VS.

As long as we have a local channel that shows 65+ games we don't need to be on other networks.

See, the thing for me is, I'm a Canes fan first, but I'm also a hockey fan in general. Yes, I love the fact that we have FSNC to watch the Canes, but I like to watch other games as well. But now I'm torn because I don't want to do anything to support the sonofaguns that don't support us. I just don't know. Give up watching other games to make a point, or watch anyway knowing that I'm helping the jerks who don't help our team. Conundrum.

Yes if a miracle happens and we get on during the season, I would watch and WHEN WE DO make the playoffs I will watch.

Im just gonna blame Bettman and his stupid idea to sign with VS....shoulda switched back to ESPN

ESPN would have found a way to give us negative 4 televised games, then preempt our game 7 OT Cup victory for Vick's appearance on the O.C. I'll take FSN FTW please.

See, the thing for me is, I'm a Canes fan first, but I'm also a hockey fan in general. Yes, I love the fact that we have FSNC to watch the Canes, but I like to watch other games as well. But now I'm torn because I don't want to do anything to support the sonofaguns that don't support us. I just don't know. Give up watching other games to make a point, or watch anyway knowing that I'm helping the jerks who don't help our team. Conundrum.

I'm the same way.. but the way I look at it, I already pay for the digital tier to get VS (among many other channels).. It's not like we have to pay per game or pay a fee to watch.. So if the Flyers are on VS I'll probably watch them.. Yes I see their Ads, but its the same Budwieser, Chevy, Ford, McDonalds ads that are on every single other channel.. so it's not like VS gets 100$ everytime you buy a cheeseburger LOL...

I'll still watch hockey on VS, but I don't care if they show us or not. If people in Detroit don't want to watch the Canes so be it.. keep it hometown.. I like it that way. Our arena was sold out, we sold a lot of jerseys.. we have plenty of fans in NC.. who cares about national coverage in North Dakota? California? Texas?

You're not hurting VS by watching.. but your not kissing the ground they walk on either... At least I don't think so. I actually prefer VS to the NBC coverage... Outside of the Cup finals the NBC games are usually pretty terrible. But of course how many Monday nights in a row can you show Pittsburgh vs Philly.. I mean seriously.. they only play 6 times a season.

This is way overblown. Buy CenterIce and watch FSN. You will have plenty of hockey to keep you busy.

I don't think that is the point, that we can't watch the games, the point is a lack of coverage for the canes in the national spot-light that is more frustrating I think.

I don't think that is the point, that we can't watch the games, the point is a lack of coverage for the canes in the national spot-light that is more frustrating I think.

^This. I frankly hate the VS announcers and would much rather our games be on FSN w/ John and Tripp. What really bothers me is that for a station that claims to be the "exclusive cable network of the NHL" they do a pretty shoddy job of actually representing the NHL. My issue wasn't trying to get the Hurricanes on VS, I've come to expect that they won't be on there and really could care less either way, but rather getting teams more evenly represented on the schedule. Take one or two games away from Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh and you have enough games to show every team in the NHL at least once. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Follow the money. If I were putting $$ for advertising, I'd rather it be during a Montreal/Leafs game, or Philly/Rangers game, or Caps/Pitts game than Canes/Lightning game.

This just proves even further that the NHL is all about ratings, so they'll only put teams on NBC/Versus that have big markets. It doesn't matter if the matchup is good or not to them... it only matters what the size of the market is. That's just pathetic. :rolleyes:

And don't get your hopes about the NBC games... the Boston and Buffalo games should get televised, but probably won't. The Boston game is the only one out of those three that will even have a slight chance to get picked by NBC, but again... since we're involved, don't count on it.

Regarding FS Carolinas... I wish they would do like Dallas does and air the games that they can't do on FS Carolinas on a local channel (they do MyNetwork TV... we should too, on WRDC), so we wouldn't have 17 games a season where we're shut out (barring a national TV appearance, but as has been said many times in this thread... we all know the chances of that). Also, I wish they would hurry up and announce their schedule since the national TV schedule is out, meaning they are clear to set their games in stone.

This just proves even further that the NHL is all about ratings

Well, that's pretty much the way television works. Those marque games need to be on but what we need is MORE hockey. Two or three games a week on a fringe cable network isn't going to grow the sport.

Regarding FS Carolinas... I wish they would do like Dallas does and air the games that they can't do on FS Carolinas on a local channel (they do MyNetwork TV... we should too, on WRDC), so we wouldn't have 17 games a season where we're shut out (barring a national TV appearance, but as has been said many times in this thread... we all know the chances of that).

This would be all fine and good for fans living in the Triangle, but what about us countless other fans living in other parts of the state. I live between Greensboro and Burlington and I can't pick up WRDC on Time Warner at my house. Unfortunately, it's probably a moot point anyways. No local station is going to shell out the bucks required to carry 15 NHL games in this small of a market. Bottom line: For 12-15 games per season, we're hosed. But hey, some of them are home games that we'll be at, right? ;)

This just proves even further that the NHL is all about ratings, so they'll only put teams on NBC/Versus that have big markets. It doesn't matter if the matchup is good or not to them... it only matters what the size of the market is. That's just pathetic. :rolleyes:

It's just business...the NHL is practically begging for TV coverage, apparently they didn't feel they could require that each team be on once, for example. Fine with me frankly...a little more justification to pick up Center Ice. :)

Regarding FS Carolinas... I wish they would do like Dallas does and air the games that they can't do on FS Carolinas on a local channel (they do MyNetwork TV... we should too, on WRDC), so we wouldn't have 17 games a season where we're shut out (barring a national TV appearance, but as has been said many times in this thread... we all know the chances of that). Also, I wish they would hurry up and announce their schedule since the national TV schedule is out, meaning they are clear to set their games in stone.

CanesVision could probably do something like that, but I'd have to think if there were interest they'd have already done it. Good idea though.