The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PeteMoss

Canes Shut Out

Watching games? Chuck K. on the radio is all I need, makes my heart pound enough any game. NJ is lucky to have Doc, hes a classy announcer, and their radio commentators are pretty good too.

This would be all fine and good for fans living in the Triangle, but what about us countless other fans living in other parts of the state. I live between Greensboro and Burlington and I can't pick up WRDC on Time Warner at my house. Unfortunately, it's probably a moot point anyways. No local station is going to shell out the bucks required to carry 15 NHL games in this small of a market. Bottom line: For 12-15 games per season, we're hosed. But hey, some of them are home games that we'll be at, right? ;)

There could be affiliates for those areas, as well... but I'm afraid you might be right. It would be a great thing to happen, though.

This would be all fine and good for fans living in the Triangle, but what about us countless other fans living in other parts of the state. I live between Greensboro and Burlington and I can't pick up WRDC on Time Warner at my house. Unfortunately, it's probably a moot point anyways. No local station is going to shell out the bucks required to carry 15 NHL games in this small of a market. Bottom line: For 12-15 games per season, we're hosed. But hey, some of them are home games that we'll be at, right? ;)

Your not hosed. If you want to watch hockey, just shell out the cash, pay $169 for CenterIce, and your set. I'm one of those countless other fans.

We are the second smallest TV market in the NHL and in the division with the least national (or international) interest . It's no surprise to me that we were shut out. If ESPN still had the TV contract we would be in the same boat.

Does anyone that's had Center-Ice know how they decide which feed they are using? Is it always the home team feed? Do they ever show the TSN feed or the HNIC feed?

We are the second smallest TV market in the NHL and in the division with the least national (or international) interest . It's no surprise to me that we were shut out. If ESPN still had the TV contract we would be in the same boat.

Does anyone that's had Center-Ice know how they decide which feed they are using? Is it always the home team feed? Do they ever show the TSN feed or the HNIC feed?

If you are watching the Canes it will always be the road feed; the home feed, if there is one, will be blacked out. For out of market games, I believe satellite will usually have both feeds available, cable may only have one.

If you are watching the Canes it will always be the road feed; the home feed, if there is one, will be blacked out. For out of market games, I believe satellite will usually have both feeds available, cable may only have one.

I'm 150 miles away and often get both feeds on CenterIce. But, one or the other is always available. So unless it's just not televised by either team (rare) or VS-NBC have the game, you'll be watching the Canes. I also enjoy watching just about any game so its money well spent for me.

oh man.....how awesome would it be for to make a run deep into the playoffs...our games FINALLY on Vs....say we are up a couple of goals and right after we score instead of using the goalies name...we insert..."verrrrrrsus.......verrrrrrrsus........verrrrrrrsus......YOU _____!" BAH! :lol:

I've set up a Facebook group about the Canes/Thrashers/Ducks being left off the VERSUS schedule while seven or eight teams get seven or eight games.

Stop by and join! There were already 33 members when I posted this.

I'm planning different actions each day this week, email VERSUS, email Direct TV, email the NHL are three that come to mind. I'll have links to various articles and blogs and to feedback sites.

Please consider joining at

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121673712021

Way I look at it is, good.

We got our game completely dropped by VS and no one had time to pick it up and all we had was Kaiton that night. Whooooo cares if they dont pick us up, it's better then being screwed at game time. That and even if we do get on VS and they do show it we'll be right back here with a topic on how bad the commentators were and how they gave the other team some praise and all the praise wasn't given to the Canes.

HA, good point Legend. We can get all the Vs bashing out of the way during a looong summer and not have to do it again til the playoffs. :lol:

And yes, let's all join a FB group for...what? That will really change things. :rolleyes:

HA, good point Legend. We can get all the Vs bashing out of the way during a looong summer and not have to do it again til the playoffs. :lol:

And yes, let's all join a FB group for...what? That will really change things. :rolleyes:

Not that it would. It's just something to pass the time. Make us all feel a bit better about our beloved team being snubbed by the "national network." Meh, I just hope Cam's OK.

Well, belonging to the group by itself will do nothing. But the group is a means to organize and spread information, so that anyone who is upset about it can write an informed letter/email to Versus, or for other ideas that can make it known that we fans are upset about it.

So some change could come of it.

Like previous posts I would just as soon see the Canes on Fox Carolina as Versus or NBC but it is disappointing. We have to be careful not to come across as a whiner but I find it discouraging that a team from a small city with mostly hard working journeyman type players and great fans are overlooked and even made fun of by the established hockey media.

If Carolina isn

Like previous posts I would just as soon see the Canes on Fox Carolina as Versus or NBC but it is disappointing. We have to be careful not to come across as a whiner but I find it discouraging that a team from a small city with mostly hard working journeyman type players and great fans are overlooked and even made fun of by the established hockey media.

If Carolina isn

Just going off other boards, Carolina's often cited as one of the "success stories" for expanding to non-traditional hockey markets. Usually, it's Carolina, San Jose, and Dallas that are the 3 often picked. And when we do make the playoffs, there's always comments about our crowd. I think we've been noticed around the league.

I guess Versus shot themselves in the foot yet again by not negotiating with Direct TV. Versus got dropped from the lineup. Talk about a drop in ratings!

I bet the NHL is lobbying hard for an eleventh hour resolution and contract renewal for Versus with DirectTV,  who else will cover the Pens, Rangers and Red Wings for them? wink.gif

The problem with Versus and DirecTV is that Versus is owned by Comcast, and DirecTV doesn't want to pay what Comcast wants for the rights to air the channel:

http://www.directv.com/DT...cle.jsp?assetId=P6220002

As a DirecTV subscriber, I am quite happy in this case that Versus won't be broadcasting any of the Canes games. Though when they make it into the playoffs - well, we could have ourselves a problem there ... (sigh).