The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesNC01

Boulerice Hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtCtc3kjt00

The above link is a much better view of the play than the links already posted, although the TSN footage shows the feud between the two that precipitated the cross-check. Really brave, Jesse, to knock a guy out cold with your stick and THEN slide your gloves off and taunt him. Idiot.

Maybe the teams and coaches would be more accountable if they were not allowed to fill the roster spot of the suspended player.

Now that is definitely something the NHL needs to consider, the best idea since the game suspensions I have heard.

The fact that there was no puck or play there made this even more barbarick and brutual. With this inicident and his former hx, he should be gone permanetly. This is what gives hockey a bad name, especially when you are trying to recruit new fans and promoting it to be a family sport. One day we will have a severe permanent injury or death and then hockey will never recover and we will be left trying to defend it's honor.

Interesting stat about Jesse on XM today:

He's played in 167 NHL games and has 10 points. That right there says everything about his place in the NHL and why he was signed by Philly. Plain and simple, he adds nothing to the offense except protection for skilled players like Briere and Kapanen. He may have lost his mind temporarily but in his mind, he was just doing what he was given a contract to do.

I go back to my original question: At what point is the coach held accountable for discipline on the ice?

Good point .... I like John Stevens but why are players like Boulerice and Downie even on the ice??? There MUST be better talent out there than that. Same old Philly game from the GM .... "tough guys" ... still too slow for the new NHL so take out the opponent. It's ridiculous. Yeah, he was out there to protect the stars because a blowout like that often leads to cheap shots by the losing team. But geeez, a stick is a weapon. It was away from the puck. Too bad it's only 20 games. I don't suppose the NHLPA will allow him to be waived when he comes back, eh?

Original question ...... That's a tough one in this case. As you stated before, he was probably out there to protect, not instigate. And I'm sure the coach didn't say, "Hey Jesse, go out there and whack someone with your stick." If he goes off on his own and whacks someone, it's hard to hold the coach accountable for that. On the other hand, the coach has a responsibility to remind his players, especially if they are blowing someone out, not to get out of hand in any retaliation for cheap stuff thrown at them.

Mabye the teams and coaches would be more accountable if they were not allowed to fill the roster spot of the suspended player.

This is the best idea I've heard yet from anyone, anywhere!!!! Ya know, we (I) have seen a big increase in fights and cheap shots this year right from preseason. It's because everybody wants to be the Ducks this year. You know how that went .... 2 suspensions in the PLAYOFFS alone ... no big deal, 'cause the Ducks had the talent to fill it in. In Philly's case, Jesse won't really be missed because he only adds goonery to their lineup, but it would force the coach to play with one less option. Hope this idea gets talked up to the league.

IMO the ONLY way the league will better cure the goon approach is to make the offending team forfeit the roster position for the duration of the suspended player. That would mean the Flyers now would be two short on the game roster.

My other thought.....John Stevens was always a physical player. Is this coaching approach something that got out of hand? If so, the Flyers are in dire need of a new direction.

I believe in physical hockey.....this said.....there is no place for a deliberate hit to the head. I support the league's effort to crack down....and come down hard on any goon tactic. Think back when Cole was hit....we lost a tremendous part of our roster, and could have been worse. I'd hate to think a team must suffer the loss of player talent because of this crap. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Jesse banned if he has another infraction of this kind on the ice.

I haven't worked out the multiquote funtion, so hurray for cut n paste:

"""""Sure he was, that's HIS game. Fight, instigate, agitate. It keeps him on the coaches radar.""""" (My quote)

"""""Jesse and Kessler were going back and forth all night, you can put some of the blame on the refs for not putting a stop to it early! """"""(someone else's)

Well, don't know about ALL night. Jessie only had 4:04 minutes of ice time (ALL even strength - least amount BY FAR on the team), Kesler had 12:12 minutes (even, SH, PK, takes faceoffs). So basically, every time Jessie was one the ice (8 total shifts) they were going at it. Fine, I have no problem with that. Blame the refs, I'm sure that's being looked into as we type.

Here's what I DO have a problem with: Philly is winning BIG. Jessie needs to do something, ANYTHING, to keep name recognition with coach, fans, whatever. What does he do, go after someone who might be ticked off enough with him to drop the gloves and fight. This overshadowed their thorough shelacking of the Canucks and the pulling of Luongo. Jessie did this for HIM, not the team. The teams didn't need a boost, they already had the game in their pocket. No motivation needed.

A caller on XM said that Kesler should have been more aware of Boulerice just then, seeing as Kesler had just checked someone in the corner (legal hit, not hard, etc). Sounds vaguely like the "maybe Erik should have protected himself more from Orpik". Blame the victim. Horse-hockey!

I know this: Pronger had better keep his elbows down. He got a few suspensions in the playoffs....history of repetitive bad behavior.....longer suspension next time.

how does that affect their salary cap? is this a ploy to free up dollars to replace him??

how does that affect their salary cap? is this a ploy to free up dollars to replace him??

No clue. I would think its more of a ploy for the Flyers to get back in good graces with the league since they had two players suspended for being goons.

No clue. I would think its more of a ploy for the Flyers to get back in good graces with the league since they had two players suspended for being goons.

Probably more likely the Flyers are tired of dealing with his crap this second time around.

Hey, they signed him knowing he was a career 10 point guy in the NHL. ;)

Probably more likely the Flyers are tired of dealing with his crap this second time around.

I think there is more to it than that! May need to do some CBA research but i think if you have a guy suspended then he is still on your roster and his cap $$'s count. So instead of having a 23man roster they have 22. If they waive him that may enable them to add another body to the roster and stay under the cap and roster limits.

So I'm assuming his suspension is on hold until someone picks him up, right? It'd be hard to serve it based on the Flyers' schedule since he's no longer a member of the team.

If so, I think he's done, at least for this season. Someone may sign him over the summer and let him serve it out and then play, but no one's going to bring him in when the season is underway to sit for 20 more games.

So I'm assuming his suspension is on hold until someone picks him up, right? It'd be hard to serve it based on the Flyers' schedule since he's no longer a member of the team.

If so, I think he's done, at least for this season. Someone may sign him over the summer and let him serve it out and then play, but no one's going to bring him in when the season is underway to sit for 20 more games.

if he clears waivers then it will be up to the AHL to determine if the punishment remains, he is still the flyers property unless someone claims him off waivers.

It's really dissapointing to see the Flyers get out of this with out their hands getting dirty. They signed a player that has practically no points throughout his career and is only good for being a punching bag.

The Flyers at least should lose a roster spot for the entire suspension. It really sucks for Boulerice if you think about it....he went out there to do what they paid him to do. Think about the scenarios 90% of the time he played in when he was here. The game was almost always getting a little chippy and Maurice/Laviolette knew that he would not back down from anyone and was always willing to defend his teammates. The only difference between him and Scott Walker is Walker can actually play. If anyone seriously thinks that Boulerice did the deed totally of his own accord then all you are doing is making him pay for the crimes of the sport.

It's really dissapointing to see the Flyers get out of this with out their hands getting dirty. They signed a player that has practically no points throughout his career and is only good for being a punching bag.

The Flyers at least should lose a roster spot for the entire suspension. It really sucks for Boulerice if you think about it....he went out there to do what they paid him to do. Think about the scenarios 90% of the time he played in when he was here. The game was almost always getting a little chippy and Maurice/Laviolette knew that he would not back down from anyone and was always willing to defend his teammates. The only difference between him and Scott Walker is Walker can actually play. If anyone seriously thinks that Boulerice did the deed totally of his own accord then all you are doing is making him pay for the crimes of the sport.

Name me one professional sport that polices the managerial side of the game? Yes I do believe the severity of Boulerice's actions were commit in his own accord and I'll explain why. Last year Phillie went through on of it's ugliest years in franchise history. Fans were outraged and in response management went out and spent ridiculous amounts of money to attract players. If any one contract illustrates what I'm talking about, Briere's should suffice. Suddenly Phillie's payroll went from below average to above average and pushing the cap. The other difference between Boulerice and Walker that you did not mention was about 2 million dollars. Philadelphia's intentions were to sign an affordable goon that would still leave adequate cap space under their payroll, not to hire some contract killer as you seem to accusing them of. They took a risk, and Boulerice acted ridiculous on the ice, and now the Flyers have to carry his .500 million dollar cap hip, which may play a significant role come trade deadline.

As far as I'm concerned the punishment was sufficient. When the NHL was giving out lax punishments for head shots everyone was complaining that the suspension must be higher. Now that the NHL is giving out stiffer punishments, some people are still complain that it's not enough. The anti-violence morale crusading fans of this league will never be happy until they've successfully turned hockey into "crochet on ice". You're never going to completely eliminate dirty hits from the game, the NHL's job is to ensure that the severity of these are monitored and that they don't escalate into serious incidents like what happened in Vancouver with Bertuzzi.