The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Canes, Seidenberg talking again

According to JR on the team update showing now, it doesn't look like Seidenberg will return. They continue to talk, but nothing is developing. Too bad.

After listening I'm not sure they are still talking. I think they did talk again but it sounds to me like the

next move is up to Seids. Still what is true one day can change the next. JR clearly indicates we need

or at least want another Dman and he appears willing to trade a winger if that is what it takes.

If there's one thing we've learned about JR over the years, it's that no door is ever closed. I won't count Seidenberg out until he signs on the dotted line with another team, no matter what JR says.

Agree ! Remember when we were no "longer talking to Rosie, and moving on"-----earlier this month!

GO CANES !

Hopefully JR's doing nothing more than posturing about Seids in the recent interview.... I would hope they could come to terms but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this.... :unsure:

I for one hope that JR doesn't sign Seidenberg if he's asking for more than what he made last season. He is good at blocking shots but he is below average in everything else. His defensive awareness at times is terrible. Look at the Pitt series. He got exploited by better faster players so many times and his -5 rating for that series shows that he can't skate with skilled players. And don't just say that the entire team was overwhelmed because that simply wasn't the case. Malkin made Dberg look stupid over and over again and he stuck out like a sore thumb out there. Regular season he was off and on, but more off than on as evidenced by his -9. His shot is not particularly hard or accurate, he's strong on the puck and passes well but doesn't hit hard, he's not a great skater, and his defensive awareness is atrocious at times. Sometimes I wonder where his head is at some games. No other teams are signing him for what he's asking because on most other teams he'd be a depth defenseman with his skill level. I hope JR goes in a new direction and signs another dman or promotes one from the AHL because Seidenberg is not a good fit for any more money than he made last season.

I for one hope that JR doesn't sign Seidenberg if he's asking for more than what he made last season. He is good at blocking shots but he is below average in everything else. His defensive awareness at times is terrible. Look at the Pitt series. He got exploited by better faster players so many times and his -5 rating for that series shows that he can't skate with skilled players. And don't just say that the entire team was overwhelmed because that simply wasn't the case. Malkin made Dberg look stupid over and over again and he stuck out like a sore thumb out there. Regular season he was off and on, but more off than on as evidenced by his -9. His shot is not particularly hard or accurate, he's strong on the puck and passes well but doesn't hit hard, he's not a great skater, and his defensive awareness is atrocious at times. Sometimes I wonder where his head is at some games. No other teams are signing him for what he's asking because on most other teams he'd be a depth defenseman with his skill level. I hope JR goes in a new direction and signs another dman or promotes one from the AHL because Seidenberg is not a good fit for any more money than he made last season.

I will disagree with you on a lot of points there. He is a good shot blocker, but I dont think he is below average in everything else. He is relativly quick compared to some of our other d-men (Wallin, Alberts). I for one will be the first to admit he was totally abused by Malkin in that whole series though. I cant count the times Malkin is dangling with the puck while D-Berg is lagging behind trying to keep up. But think about it, your talking about Evgeni Malkin. Its not a one man job to stop him, its a team job. The Canes coaching would be foolish to think they could ask Seids to handle Malkin all by himself. He has a VERY good shot. Its not the hardest, but has moderate speed but is very accurate. When could it be more obvious than on the .2 second goal? He is a decent hitter, but he seperates the man from the puck usually with his stick and postitional play which he uses very well. I will agree that I dont think he is a top 4 defencemen, but I think he has the ability to step into the top 4 to FAR more effectivness than Alberts, and Seids has the potential to be a top 4 guy with some more experience.

I will disagree with you on a lot of points there. He is a good shot blocker, but I dont think he is below average in everything else. He is relativly quick compared to some of our other d-men (Wallin, Alberts). I for one will be the first to admit he was totally abused by Malkin in that whole series though. I cant count the times Malkin is dangling with the puck while D-Berg is lagging behind trying to keep up. But think about it, your talking about Evgeni Malkin. Its not a one man job to stop him, its a team job. The Canes coaching would be foolish to think they could ask Seids to handle Malkin all by himself. He has a VERY good shot. Its not the hardest, but has moderate speed but is very accurate. When could it be more obvious than on the .2 second goal? He is a decent hitter, but he seperates the man from the puck usually with his stick and postitional play which he uses very well. I will agree that I dont think he is a top 4 defencemen, but I think he has the ability to step into the top 4 to FAR more effectivness than Alberts, and Seids has the potential to be a top 4 guy with some more experience.

I know it's the a team job to control guys like Malkin but Seids had a much harder time keeping up and limiting his chances than any of our other D-man. You said he has a very good shot that is accurate and used the .2 seconds left goal as an example. But that goal was tipped in by Jokinen in front. I don't know how you can call a shot accurate that was tipped in so I don't get the logic there. As far as positioning Seids is strong when guys are entering the zone. He's usually able to keep them to the outside. However, when it comes to handling a strong forecheck Dennis just gets caught behind the net too often and doesn't always position himself in order to prevent passes especially those from behind the net to the crease. About Alberts, we've only seen him play for other teams. He may fit in well with our system and he may not. I don't know whether he'll be a top four guy but I do know that Seids definitely shouldn't be put into that role.

I agree the deal is probably dead with Seidenberg because of the Ward signing but I was reading about the Morris signing in Boston and there were some telling quotes from him about how the market is right now:

Morris, a father of three, acknowledged being humbled that there weren't as many multi-year deals being offered.

Also he made part of his decision based on the fact that Boston showed interest immediately in him, much like Tom Kostopoulos.

They showed interest right away," said Morris. "That was kind of the way I was leaning to start with. Once I heard about the opportunity to play there, it was a no-brainer."

Just thought it gives a little insight into what the UFA market is like for players right now. I'm still a little surprised that Seidenberg didn't take the deal offered here unless JR had AWard in his sights all along and wasn't budging.

I agree the deal is probably dead with Seidenberg because of the Ward signing but I was reading about the Morris signing in Boston and there were some telling quotes from him about how the market is right now:

Morris, a father of three, acknowledged being humbled that there weren't as many multi-year deals being offered.

Also he made part of his decision based on the fact that Boston showed interest immediately in him, much like Tom Kostopoulos.

They showed interest right away," said Morris. "That was kind of the way I was leaning to start with. Once I heard about the opportunity to play there, it was a no-brainer."

Just thought it gives a little insight into what the UFA market is like for players right now. I'm still a little surprised that Seidenberg didn't take the deal offered here unless JR had AWard in his sights all along and wasn't budging.

Interesting how the economy and the future unknowns about the salary cap are playing into the UFA market right now. Is the lack of the multi year deals and dollars going to lead to more defections to the KHL? See Hudler as exhibit A of the international bidding war. The quality of players considering the KHL seems to be rising and makes you wonder if someone like Seidenburg would seek his payout oversees the longer he is available.

I think in J.R.'s grand scheme, he had Seids slotted as a bottom pairing guy and wanted to upgrade the top 4. This would mean that J.R. offered Seids a bottom pairing contract and not the top 4 deal that Seids was looking for. Obviously, GM's around the league are viewing this more on par with J.R.'s evaluation than from Seids and his agent's evaluation of Seids' value. Everyday that Seids is out there, I think his value goes down as teams sign other guys. Alberts is going to be an upgrade at the physical defenseman spot over Seids at less money (my opinion so flame on). J.R. upgraded our defense quite a bit and superdave tips his hat for that. My opinion all along was that just resigning all our guys and putting the same out on the ice wasn't going to solve the glaring problems of size, toughness, and front line scoring. J.R. has addressed 2 of the 3 and as the great American poet Meatloaf once said "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad".

That's the way it is right now. I think most GMs budgeted their contracts with the assumption that the cap would go up over time and give them some flexibility in their payroll. Now that isn't going to happen and players need to find a situation they are comfortable in and just get whatever money they can. I was thrilled the Penguins were able to keep Guerin (50%), Fedotenko (18%) and Craig Adams (17%) at reduced rates. Being able to sign Jay Mckee who last was making around 4 million per year for a tidy 800k is also looking pretty good for Ray Shero. Don't feel bad for Mckee though, the Blues are still on the hook to him for 2.5 mil this year, so he is really making 3.3 total.

It will be interesting to see where Seidenberg ends up now and what kind of contract he might get.

GM's that spend high dollar long term deals for UFA's are going to be in trouble IMO. I'm willing to bet that Seidenberg's offer from JR came down to taking less money for a 3 years and he gambled for more money with the 3 years. Like Morris, he'll likely end up with a 1 year deal for a decent amount but will have to take his chances again next year as a UFA with potentially less cap to work with. And he'll have to put up another career like season to get the next contract.

Its easy to see why Ruutu, Cole and LaRose opted for job security in a place they're very content over gambling next off season again. Its also good that players like Cullen, Cole and AWard have already learned the grass isnt always greener.....

And Guins, between Buffalo and St Louis, has Jay McKee even played a game? Seems like he's been on the LTIR since the ECF's in 06. Definately not a bad risk at 800k for the Pens though.

That must have been the case. Interesting to see Boston sign Morris and that they were interested in him early. That would indicate that they were basically looking to unload Ward, and since Boston's GM said he wouldn't send him anywhere other than here, JR got to name his price.

I think in J.R.'s grand scheme, he had Seids slotted as a bottom pairing guy and wanted to upgrade the top 4. This would mean that J.R. offered Seids a bottom pairing contract and not the top 4 deal that Seids was looking for.

If that's so, why sign Alberts? It's starting to look like JR had Ward pegged all along. Or maybe the Alberts signing came as a result of Seids delaying? That would make sense...a Seids-Wallin pairing would have been good, but I'm also sure Seids wanted top 4 money, especially since that's where he played last year.

If that's so, why sign Alberts? It's starting to look like JR had Ward pegged all along. Or maybe the Alberts signing came as a result of Seids delaying? That would make sense...a Seids-Wallin pairing would have been good, but I'm also sure Seids wanted top 4 money, especially since that's where he played last year.

You answered your own question. Seids played top 4 last season, but he was definitely the #4 guy by default. We needed a legit top 4 guy and not somebody that was thrust in the possition. In Ward we get a phyiscal guy who will hit and move players away from Cam.

And Guins, between Buffalo and St Louis, has Jay McKee even played a game? Seems like he's been on the LTIR since the ECF's in 06. Definately not a bad risk at 800k for the Pens though.

Mckee is a short term insurance policy. If he contributes his somewhat typical 65 games then the Pens got a heck of a bargain.

Gonchar - Orpik

Letang - Eaton

Goligoski - Mckee/Lovejoy

That is a probably as versatile a defense corps as you will find in the league. I haven't seen much of Lovejoy or Mckee so I can't really speculate on them, but the other five are terrific puck movers even though Gonchar gets all the publicity. Letang and Goligoski are really going to open some eyes this year. There is a ton of offensive talent in those two just waiting to explode. They also drafted 4 defensemen to replace Gogo and Lovejoy who will almost certainly get line spots in Pittsburgh barring some prolonged terrible play.

So where do you guys think Seidenberg will end up? Will JR still try to keep him or is he going to be a Canadian next year like half the other free agents?

Mckee is a short term insurance policy. If he contributes his somewhat typical 65 games then the Pens got a heck of a bargain.

Gonchar - Orpik

Letang - Eaton

Goligoski - Mckee/Lovejoy

That is a probably as versatile a defense corps as you will find in the league. I haven't seen much of Lovejoy or Mckee so I can't really speculate on them, but the other five are terrific puck movers even though Gonchar gets all the publicity. Letang and Goligoski are really going to open some eyes this year. There is a ton of offensive talent in those two just waiting to explode. They also drafted 4 defensemen to replace Gogo and Lovejoy who will almost certainly get line spots in Pittsburgh barring some prolonged terrible play.

So where do you guys think Seidenberg will end up? Will JR still try to keep him or is he going to be a Canadian next year like half the other free agents?

With the Aaron Ward trade, and possibly even the Alberts signing, Seidenberg is out of the picture. I agree with what TSA said, he'll most likely get a 1 year deal with a team at a fairly good rate, more than what the 'Canes were willing to give, but less security.

I could see him going back to Phoenix. I don't think he is going to get much over $2 mil at this point, if that. Good luck to him.