The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rocheccw

Canes, Seidenberg talking again

Ummm I am not keen on him getting experience playing against us.

Well.... if he gets one or two years in Florida, he'll be the perfect fit as Jr's latest reclamation project once Nic Wallin and AWard come off the books. ;)

Ummm I am not keen on him getting experience playing against us.

I second that. I hope he signs somewhere but I don't want to have to play against him 6 times a year.

If I were Seids I would take a 1 year in New York over a 2 year deal in Florida. If you do well in NY you will get noticed from all the media attention and TV exposure. Do well and you can

If I were Seids I would take a 1 year in New York over a 2 year deal in Florida. If you do well in NY you will get noticed from all the media attention and TV exposure. Do well and you can

I read the article on Seidenberg in the N&O...I'll be suprised at this point if he even garners what he made last year. Some of his comments are funny, he really should not flatter him self.

While he was decent for this team at times, IMO what he brings to the table does not equate spend 3 million or even 1.2 million. We are better off with Ward and Alberts in the mix.

I read the article on Seidenberg in the N&O...I'll be suprised at this point if he even garners what he made last year. Some of his comments are funny, he really should not flatter him self.

While he was decent for this team at times, IMO what he brings to the table does not equate spend 3 million or even 1.2 million. We are better off with Ward and Alberts in the mix.

yep, I agree!! His agent and Babs did a number on those two!! Not fair to them but that's life.

I'm convinced that JR had AWard targeted all along, and projected Seids as #5 dman. His not returning has more to do with JR than Seids. Feel a little bad for Seids - if this summer were like last year, he probably would have gotten that $3 mil. Just wasn't going to happen this year.

I'm convinced that JR had AWard targeted all along, and projected Seids as #5 dman. His not returning has more to do with JR than Seids. Feel a little bad for Seids - if this summer were like last year, he probably would have gotten that $3 mil. Just wasn't going to happen this year.

How so? JR would have re-signed him, but Seids and/or his agent over priced him. He even re-opened conversations with his agent when free agency day didn't do him well. And they still over priced him. That's when JR moved on, he can't wait forever for him to realize he just might not be worth as much as he thinks.

I'd be surprised is Seids doesnt fire his agent after this, if you wanna say this is JR's fault then I will have to shake his hand. Who wants to pay 3 mil for Dennis? He's worth at most 1.5 to 1.75 and he's really not proven anything yet. He didnt stick in the lineup, but did put up points.

I'd be surprised is Seids doesnt fire his agent after this, if you wanna say this is JR's fault then I will have to shake his hand. Who wants to pay 3 mil for Dennis? He's worth at most 1.5 to 1.75 and he's really not proven anything yet. He didnt stick in the lineup, but did put up points.

Yes. Realistically Seids never proved himself as a top 4 dman. He was even benched during the playoffs. Who is going to pay $3 million for their #6 defenseman? Seids is probably as good as Alberts, so we could have just kept him, but not at that price.

How so? JR would have re-signed him, but Seids and/or his agent over priced him. He even re-opened conversations with his agent when free agency day didn't do him well. And they still over priced him. That's when JR moved on, he can't wait forever for him to realize he just might not be worth as much as he thinks.

He's a viable #4 Dman, but JR obviously had Ward slotted there, and had the plan early in the summer, but didn't execute until later. So I'm not so sure JR would have resigned him.

He's probably worth $2 mil or so, but he wasn't going to get that here as #5 or 6 Dman. It's hard to say if he really overpriced himself until he actually signs. It's also possible Seids was hoping to stick here and his agent wasn't looking elsewhere very hard (which is his fault, not JR's).

The playoffs exposed our weaknesses. One of those was toughness and dependability with a stay at home defenseman. Nobody here will question Corvo, Pitkanen, and Gleason as 3 legit top 4 guys. That leaves us with an opening for a stay at home guy. This is where A. Ward fits and Seidenberg was holding the place last season. I feel sure that J.R. went into the off season fully expecting to upgrade the top 4 as he did with Ward and try to keep Seids as a 3rd pairing guy. Seids would have been fine with Wallin. I remember J.R. stating that the Canes and Seidenberg's agent were "a million miles away" which I translated to a million dollars. That would lead me to believe somewhere about the $1.5 million (J.R.) and $2.5 million (Seids) range. J.R. couldn't just sit on his hands and when the chance to get Alberts on a reasonable deal came, Seidenbergs chair got sat in.

After playing the minutes that Seids did last year, I can understand that he and his agent thought he was in line for a significant contract. As so many found out, the money wasn't there this off season like last year. Now that the season is upon us, Seidenberg is standing around with his hat in his hand hoping that the phone will ring.

^^^ yep - that's pretty much how I see it. Seids is a capable 2nd pairing guy, but probably not on a top tier team. Will be interesting to see where he ends up and for how much.

At this point, I'd be happy for Seids if he could sign with anybody.

I agree. He still hasn't reached his potential and he has only improved since he came here. He deserved a raise this summer but evidently not the kind he thought he deserved, considering the current state of affairs. I really hope the Panthers pick him up just for Dennis' sake. He deserves the opportunity to further his career but I hope he hasn't hurt himself by asking for too much money too soon. Slow and steady wins the (money) race.

Good luck Dennis!

Sorry, but I can't wish him too much luck on him if he stays in the Division. After the comments I read, it would be nice if he could find a sweater without the sightless eye if he wants to practice in the RecZone. And yes, I know the captain okay'd it.

with Wallin likely to retire after his contract ends next spring - I wouldn't be suprised to see D-berg back (also knowing JR's penchant for bringing back guys that at an earlier time he couldn't afford). If I were Seidenberg I'd DEFINANTLY fire my agent - agents think of one thing $$$ - and 15% of 3-4 mil is ALOT better than 15% of 1.2 - sad, because a line -up of

Gleason/Corvo

AWard/Pitkanen

Alberts/Seids

w/ Wallin and Conboy backing them up/ rotating in to rest tired guys, and/or filling in for injuries would be REALLY scary... for opponents that is.

If I were Seidenberg I'd DEFINANTLY fire my agent -
Even after he just doubled your salary??

Can't blame Seids for making an extra million bucks for one year. The whole thing reminds me of Aaron Ward leaving for the Rangers after JR kinda lowballed him. Maybe Seids will be back in a few years too.