The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Age is becoming a factor as well. I think JR will need to package some of what we have a lot of (3-4 centers, 15-20 goal scoring wingers) and get something decent in return. Rather than a 1st line winger for Staal, I'd rather see a solid #2 center who can score 30+ goals. Having Staal on the ice with Whitney and Ruutu is a solid line. Having a second line that can do just as much damage as the 1st line would be helpful. Someone to play between Sammy and LaRose.

I think the D is fairly solid. We have a lot of puck-movers, and maybe people aren't too happy with how many are offensive-defensemen, but let's face it: we don't have a high-scoring/high-profile offense, so we need the D to help out. I think we should re-sign Babs. However, I think if you're looking to make a move for a solid scoring #2 center, then you need to consider which of the D-men might be part of a packaged deal to make it happen.

My realistic dream for next year team.

Cam in net, Leights back-up. Leights must play in more than 10-15 games.

Defense - Pitkanen is our #1, will develope every year and will play on first pairing. Gleason is #2, i think. I want Seids re-sign, but he will get overpaid from other team. Wallin is a lock for third pairing.. imo, with Rodney but i want Borer. . I'm very dissapointment from Corvo play... just think we should trade Joe for Staal's wing. We definitely should go in offseason after UFA defensive strong defenceman... Scuderi and Zanon is a excellent idea and imo, Zanon is the right guy. Scuderi is too expensive for us.

Pitkanen- Gleason

Babchuk- Zanon

Borer- Wallin

Offense - To be honest, i want to see Bowman to play with Staal next year. Boychuk is a Whitney replacement after next season... Terry is not ready for NHL level but this guy will become a monster.. i have really big expectation for Chris.

But i pretty sure Bowman don't get his chance soon cause he need to play in AHL. Ruutu will be one of the Staalsy wing and i hope Cole is not other. With this players Staal always will be nothing more 75 points guy. As much i love Larose, i don't thiks he's a top 6 material. I want Sutter play on 3rd line but Jokinen or Brindy is lock. So... my idea is Jussi on 3rd line with PP/PK time and Brindy on 4 line with Eaves and Scotty. So... we need two top 6 wingers, i believe.

X- Staal- Ruutu

Whitney- Cullen- X

Samsonov- Jokinen- LaRose

Walker- Brind'amour- Eaves

This is my opinion.

Hard to really predict what's going to happen as we don't know the budget yet, but here's my diea:

- Re-sign Ruutu for three years at $3M.

- Re-sign Jokinen for one year at $1.875M.

- Re-sign Babchuk for one year at $1.5M.

- Re-sign LaRose for three years at $1.5M

- Re-sign Seidenberg for three years at $2.25M.

- Sign Greg Zanon for three years at $2.25M.

- Buy out one of Kaberle/Wallin/Walker. These guys are taking up too much salary to be #6/7 defensemen and a 3rd/4th line forward.

- Let Cole walk.

- Trade Corvo for Chuck Kobasew.

Boychuk-Staal-Kobasew

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Samsonov-Jokinen-LaRose

Eaves-Brind'amour-Walker

Pitkanen-Gleason

Zanon-Seidenberg

Kaberle/Wallin-Babchuk

I'd like it if they brought Commodore back.... plus resign Jussi, and LaRose

no thanks, commodore is being paid way too much by the blue jackets!! if we brought him back there wouldn't be much left for Jussi or Larose and i would rather have those two then a goofy red head that spends too much time in the penalty box.

Hard to really predict what's going to happen as we don't know the budget yet, but here's my diea:

- Re-sign Ruutu for three years at $3M.

- Re-sign Jokinen for one year at $1.875M.

- Re-sign Babchuk for one year at $1.5M.

- Re-sign LaRose for three years at $1.5M

- Re-sign Seidenberg for three years at $2.25M.

- Sign Greg Zanon for three years at $2.25M.

- Buy out one of Kaberle/Wallin/Walker. These guys are taking up too much salary to be #6/7 defensemen and a 3rd/4th line forward.

- Let Cole walk.

- Trade Corvo for Chuck Kobasew.

Boychuk-Staal-Kobasew

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Samsonov-Jokinen-LaRose

Eaves-Brind'amour-Walker

Pitkanen-Gleason

Zanon-Seidenberg

Kaberle/Wallin-Babchuk

I was ok with most of this until i read buy out Kabs/Wallin/Walker!! You do know we take a cap hit when we buy someone out plus it still cost the team money. And why in the world would you want to get rid of Walker, other than rosie he is the only person that shows up EVERY night EVERY shift. Cole can stay if it is at a discount and i would give him a few extra years. and definitely no on the Corvo deal.

no thanks, commodore is being paid way too much by the blue jackets!! if we brought him back there wouldn't be much left for Jussi or Larose and i would rather have those two then a goofy red head that spends too much time in the penalty box.

You remember when Commodore was out of position and he stuck his stick out from behind and got called for hooking? That was awesome.

Below article on WRAL website a few minutes ago.....

Rutherford addresses staff, free agents as offseason looms

The Carolina Hurricanes' season ended Tuesday night, and by Wednesday, general manager Jim Rutherford was looking ahead to next year.

Rutherford began his postseason meetings with the team Wednesday, including a meeting with assistant coach Ron Francis. Francis had previously been in the front office before joining the coaching staff when Rutherford named Paul Maurice the head coach.

Rutherford said Francis is still weighing whether to remain in coaching or return to management.

"Ronnie's been such an important part of this franchise going back to his playing days," Rutherford said in an interview with 99.9 FM The Fan ESPN Radio. "I want to make sure he's comfortable with what he's doing."

Maurice, meanwhile, is not under contract after the season. Rutherford said he wants to have the head coaching position settled by the NHL Draft June 26 and praised Maurice for getting Carolina to the playoffs this year.

"He certainly did a good enough job, between him and the coaching staff

Guys I would like to see re-signed:

Ruutu - around 2.7 a year

Rosie - double his salary at about 1.6 a year (love the guy but would not go over 1.8)

Jussi - around 1.8 a year (had a great run early in playoffs and seems to like Carolina but be careful with a guy who

was waivered earlier in year)

Babchuck - 1.5 a year (guy still could be good and has a wicked shot)

Bayda - .8 a year (solid 4th line guy who plays hard and found niche not trying to be a top 6 man)

Dump:

Cole - may would offer 2 a year but would not offer more here - guy is a 20 goal 40 point player now

Seidenberg - may would offer 1.5 but not really impressed with him. Ok at times but was -9 for year and we need

to be really wise where we spend our money on D. Need a good solid stay at home guy.

Priorities for off-season:

1. Find a top 3 type forward. Need a guy who can bang in 30 goals and have 80 points. May have to pay 6 a year but

without Cole at 4 per year could get close here.

2. Have to have a solid shut down defender. To many puck movers on this team. Gleason is a good solid top 4 guy but

we need an enforcer who can lock down our zone. A young version of Glen Wesley (not an enforcer but solid d)

Lineup:

C - Staal, Cullen, Brindamour, Sutter

W - Ruutu, Whitney, Rosie, Walker, Jokinen, Bayda, Eaves, new top line player

D - Pitkenen, Gleason, Corvo, Wallin, Babchuck, new shut down defender (what to do with Kaberle 2 mil a year wow)

G - Ward, Leighton

We're not going to find a replacement level player for the same amount we are paying Walker or Wallin. Kaberle, I think you could make a decent argument for a buyout. We basically paid him to sit on his butt for 50 games this year. Buyout would be 1.45 million. Say we re-sign Rodney / Borer / Carson for similar amount to what they are making this year - around .55 million, and one of those three is ready to come up and play at a level better than that of Kaberle. Would that be smarter than finding a replacement level player for 2 million? Hard to say, but if the opportunity presents itself, I would say that is an option that is on the table for sure.

I sure hope we don't spend 2 million on Larose. As much as I like him, he is not a 2 million dollar a year level player. Maybe we could do a sign and trade with him, and then get him back for next to nothing in February at the trade deadline. :lol:

We need to re-sign Babchuk. If he gets an offer sheet from another team that we don't match, all we get is a third round draft pick as compensation. If we re-sign him, he will make good trade bait. Plus I think he has more natural talent than any D-man on our roster save Pitkanen.

Compared to other teams, this off-season is not really going to be that difficult for us. Yes we have needs to be a real contender, but face it, we simply aren't going to go out and spend the money to do it. With what we have now, plus our obvious signings, we should be a 90 - 100 pt team, and make a run at the Southeast Division.

If I was JR, I would keep my powder fairly dry during the off-season. Give some of the kids a chance early and see what happens. If there are any reclamation project type players out there we can get on the cheap, that would be great. If we look good in February, use some money to pick up a few rent-a-players at the end of the year to make a big push in the playoffs.

What did Cole do before his injury that he doesn't do now? Skate hard? Skate fast? Hit people? Seems to me all of the 'physical' things that one would tend to see get reduced after a broken neck, he still does. Top 6 in shots (his shooting percentage of just over 10% is only slightly worse than Eric Staals)... top 2 in PIM (he's not backing away or hitting people less) +/- of a flat 0 for the year...

Even if many of his statistical successes weren't while he wa with CAR, we need to stop saying 'he hasn't been the same since the neck injury'. Sure, he's not scoring like he did (although he's basically been over 40 points every year he's played EXCEPT 2002-2003 when he missed 29 games), but he IS the same player.

So the question for CAR is, do we want a 40-point guy who creates space for others, hits people, isn't a defensive liability, is a fan favorite, and stands up for his teammates?

I say yes.

Why in the world would Brind' Amour walk away from the last two years of a guaranteed 6-million dollar contract and retire? I don't see that happening. What I would like to see him do is pass the C to Staal. It's time. And speaking of retirement, it wouldn't surprise me to see Walker back also, for the same reasons as Brindy.

We need a top line winger to play with Staal or IMO we are wasting his talent. Some tough decisions will have to be made here to accomplish this. I would like to see Ruutu, Larose and Jokinen resigned. I'm not a Cole fan because I think his best years dissappeared with the neck injury. So, I would hope JR doesn't spend anything there. Time to get younger on O, so I would expect to see some prospects (Boychuk, Bowman) make the team.

On D, I too would like to see another big physical defensemen in the lineup. I'm not enamoured with any of our defensemen, so I could see anything happening there, with the exception of Gleason and Pitkanen. Seids is likely too good of a deal to part with. Corvo is likely good trade bait, but I don't see JR moving him. Babchuk....not sold on him just because he has the big slapper. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it in the playoffs.

In goal, I would rather have a veteran backup but don't really see things changing. JR needs to extend Cam now, and I see that is his first move. That will setup where we can go moving forward.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you can't fix the problems you have on the team by signing all the same guys back. Some need to come back. Some don't. Somebody may need to be traded. We've got guys in the system that need to come up. There are UFA's out there.

If you saw the same thing I saw in the ECF's, you'd have to agree that we have some deficiencies that need to be addressed. Bringing back the same crew as a unit isn't going to fix those things. You can't just resign everyone to long term deals because we had a good year or you get guys with long term, high money deals sitting in the press box.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you can't fix the problems you have on the team by signing all the same guys back. Some need to come back. Some don't. Somebody may need to be traded. We've got guys in the system that need to come up. There are UFA's out there.

If you saw the same thing I saw in the ECF's, you'd have to agree that we have some deficiencies that need to be addressed. Bringing back the same crew as a unit isn't going to fix those things. You can't just resign everyone to long term deals because we had a good year or you get guys with long term, high money deals sitting in the press box.

Exactly why I think you may see JR try a different approach with this group in these circumstances.

Exactly why I think you may see JR try a different approach with this group in these circumstances.

Right, because just resigning everyone isn't going to make us any bigger up front or fix our defensive liabilities.

You gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

We need to keep "Ruu, UC and LaRose. I will not be pained to see Cole walk. We really need to continue to upscale our defense meaning adios to Kaberle, Wallin, Babchuck or Pitkanen, either trade them or work a buyout deal. I would put Rod in the "move to office" role although I don't know if that frees up cap??? Speaking of which, has anyone else read or heard if the total team cap comes down next year?

Second question, and I can only imagine the replies this will get -- If Eric Staal were traded, what kind of return do you think the Canes could get -- be specific as to players and positions thinking about the needs the team has.

My Offseason Agenda. As another poster said it's hard because we don't know the Salary Cap or Karmanos' budget.

-Resign Chad LaRose

-Resign RFA's Jokinen, Ruutu, Babchuk

-Try to Resign Seidenberg. but I don't think he'll stay, or someone will offer more

-Trade Joe Corvo and 4th Round Pick to Minnesota for Pierre-Marc Bouchard

-Buyout Frank Kaberle

-Sign Steve Montador (Impressed me in CAR/BOS Series)

-If any leftover money try to lock up Cam Ward

Bold=New Player

Red=Resigned

LINE 1 Bouchard-Staal-Ruutu

LINE 2 Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

LINE 3 Samsonov-Jokinen-Eaves

LINE 4 Boychuk-Brind'Amour-Walker

DPAIR1 Pitkanen-Gleason

DPAIR2 Babchuk-Montador

DPAIR3 Rodney/Carson-Wallin

GOALTENDERS 1.Ward 2.Leighton

SCRATCHES Conboy-Rodney/Carson-Sutter

-Start Drayson Bowman the year in the AHL, going from Juniors straight to the NHL is rough, ask Brandon Sutter.

I agree, and I think JR does too. He wants more size, and we need that on the back end to play solidly (can you read between the lines that Seidenberg is gone?). Our forwards are small too, and the fresh faces coming in, Sutter, Boychuk are small too. I can see Boychuk being a star with Staal in the next couple years, but Staal needs someone now. I agree also that Bowman might very well be our Whitney replacement for years to come. But right now, realistically, what is out there in the Free Agent market that we can outbid other teams for? I will not be holding my breath for any big names.

The one bad thing about this run in the playoffs is that we draft 27th. Hopefully there will be some solid defensemen at the spot!

My Offseason Agenda. As another poster said it's hard because we don't know the Salary Cap or Karmanos' budget.

-Resign Chad LaRose

-Resign RFA's Jokinen, Ruutu, Babchuk

-Try to Resign Seidenberg. but I don't think he'll stay, or someone will offer more

-Trade Joe Corvo and 4th Round Pick to Minnesota for Pierre-Marc Bouchard

-Buyout Frank Kaberle

-Sign Steve Montador (Impressed me in CAR/BOS Series)

-If any leftover money try to lock up Cam Ward

LINE 1 Bouchard-Staal-Ruutu

LINE 2 Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

LINE 3 Samsonov-Jokinen-Eaves

LINE 4 Boychuk-Brind'Amour-Walker

DPAIR1 Pitkanen-Gleason

DPAIR2 Babchuk-Montador

DPAIR3 Rodney/Carson-Wallin

GOALTENDERS 1.Ward 2.Leighton

SCRATCHES Conboy-Rodney/Carson-Sutter

-Start Drayson Bowman the year in the AHL, going from Juniors straight to the NHL is rough, ask Brandon Sutter.

That defensive group scares me.....NOT in a good way!

We need to keep "Ruu, UC and LaRose. I will not be pained to see Cole walk. We really need to continue to upscale our defense meaning adios to Kaberle, Wallin, Babchuck or Pitkanen, either trade them or work a buyout deal. I would put Rod in the "move to office" role although I don't know if that frees up cap??? Speaking of which, has anyone else read or heard if the total team cap comes down next year?

Second question, and I can only imagine the replies this will get -- If Eric Staal were traded, what kind of return do you think the Canes could get -- be specific as to players and positions thinking about the needs the team has.

why trade pitkanen or staal. those are 2 of our best 5 guys.

if you did trade staal you would get the same thing TB is about to get for Vinny L, maybe a little bit extra for the young age of staal: a solid second liner or number 2-3 defensmen, and high rated prospect(along the lines of a bowman), and a 1st. give or take of course

With Chad, it is not simply a question of whether or not the team wants him back, but rather if the team feels it can afford to outbid all other teams for his services. I am afraid another team will offer LaRose $2+/year which we may or may not match. Who knows, maybe we'll get him on a home town discount for less.

So the question for CAR is, do we want a 40-point guy who creates space for others, hits people, isn't a defensive liability, is a fan favorite, and stands up for his teammates?

I say yes.

Ummm, was that suppose to be about Erik Cole? Cause that's WAAAAAY off base.... oh and remember, you don't get a -1 for your team getting scored on while you're in the box. And he's been making room for no one but himself.

OK... time for everyone to get mad at me.... This offseason....

Brindy retires (Hopefully) If Brindy doesn't retire you trade a center... my pick is Cullen based on salay + performance

Jussi should accept his qualifying offer...

Let Seidemnerg walk.... he SUCKED during the playoffs... I don't care how many goals he scored, he was victimized often, and trust me... he's not getting a huge contract from anyone.

Keep Larose OR Bayda ... if size is what JR wants, then Bayda gets the nod ::told ya you would be mad::

The team needs a winger to complement Staal, and it's NOT Erik COLE! You let him walk...

Keep Babchuk at 1.5 mill TOPS.

A couple of young forwards will be looking to make the jump... I look forward to Boychuk.

In fact... if you package Samsonov and Cullen together, you might be able to get the scoring winger the team needs for Staal. Remember, you only trade Cullen if Brindy retires.

You're stuck with Kabs... and personally he was better than Seidenberg was during this last series.

The scoring winger I personally want is Gaborik, but ONLY if he's healthy.

MY 09/10 Season Hurricanes...

Gaborik/Staal/Ruutu

Whitney/Cullen OR Brindy/Eaves

Bayda OR Larose/Jussi/Walker

Boychuk/Helminen or Sutter/Dwyer or Ryan

Defense

Gleason/ Pitkanen

Corvo/Kabs

Wallin/River Rat

There are a couple ways to make the Gaborik trade happen... may have to add a youngster to get him. But wouldn't it be nice?