The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I don't think it will come down to Cole or LaRose. We will sign both and Ruutu also.

I would think LaRose will most likley get around 1.2 and Cole 2.8. My guess is both

will get 2 year contracts.

We will still shop for a big quick forward who can score for the Staal/Cole line. That

means IMO some of our smaller forwards are going. I hope we keep Sammy but who knows.

A couple of D men will probable go too.

Maurice doesn't seem to like players who don't have experience so I would not look

for more than one or two Rats to join the team. One on D and one forward.

I don't think it will come down to Cole or LaRose. We will sign both and Ruutu also.

I would think LaRose will most likley get around 1.2 and Cole 2.8. My guess is both

will get 2 year contracts.

We will still shop for a big quick forward who can score for the Staal/Cole line. That

means IMO some of our smaller forwards are going. I hope we keep Sammy but who knows.

A couple of D men will probable go too.

Maurice doesn't seem to like players who don't have experience so I would not look

for more than one or two Rats to join the team. One on D and one forward.

In the end who is to say that the answer isn't trading to get a rising star and bringing up an AHLer? In fact, I'd even consider running an offer sheet out there for Chicago's Versteeg...give me young talent today, not a promise for tomorrow....just my two cents.

Well, I'd push my granny in a creek if that happened. If you listened to his comments, JR pretty much came out and said we are deep with prospects and at some point there will need to be room made for them. I really don't see him making major moves until next year when Cullen's and Whitney's contracts expire. But, who knows.

Well, I'd push my granny in a creek if that happened. If you listened to his comments, JR pretty much came out and said we are deep with prospects and at some point there will need to be room made for them. I really don't see him making major moves until next year when Cullen's and Whitney's contracts expire. But, who knows.

Whitney (3.55m), Cullen (2.8m), Walker (2.5m), Corvo (2.75m), Kaberle (2.2m), Wallin (1.75m), Conboy (.5m), and Leighton (.6m) all come off the books next summer. This is why I think we will see a lot of the same next year. J.R. may make a trade or two, but if Rosey, Ruutu, Jokinen, and maybe Cole are resigned, the forward roster is set for next season barring trades (remember, Conboy is on a one way next year and he has been used as a forward with the Canes). Either Babs or Seids is signed and a Rat makes the team next year. The younger crowd would stay in Albany for a year of seasoning and save that year of entry level contract. You will probably see them for the 10 games they can play at some time of the year. With all the beef coming off the books the following year, they will slide in at less money than the departing guys leaving J.R. with a little cash to look for one shutdown d-man and a winger for Staal. J.R. will continue to sort thru everybody's trash pile around the league and he'll pull somebody out of the dumpster for cheap.

Corvo is an interesting trade prospect. I like the guy, but he has an expiring contract and somebody may be looking for a reasonable contract to add some defensive help. It looks like we overloaded with puck moving guys. Cullen could also be a possibility IF Sutter has progressed and Brindy does a little time travel. I think that would be a long shot though as Cullen was too integral in this season's success.

We will probably not need to learn a lot of new faces next season. The old ones got us to the ECF's and the young ones are a year away.

Don

Don

I know we have a lot coming off the books next season and should be able to add a high scoring player or shut down d-man with our up and coming minor leaguers, but I would like to see us resign Cullen as well. Whitney has been VERY consistent, but I don't want another Brindamour situation on our hands where we resign an older playeer and he breaks down soon after.

I also like Corvo, but if we cannot move Kabs or Wallin (very unlikely), he is the most intriguing trade prospect. He would get us another forward to plug in at the top of the line up and allow us to move another guy from Albany up to defense or sign another defenseman that we need. I like Wallin, but he and Kabs make too much combined money considering they are 3rd pairing guys at best now, but we need one more rough and tumble shut down guy like Timmy to mold our defense into something intimidating for other teams. I'd like to see us go after one big name defender, and if that fails then look for some trades and potentially move a few defenders up from Albany to try them out. I say we only move up one of our forwards full time (Boychuck, McBain, Bowman, Sutter, Terry, etc.) if they are playing out of their minds and contribute mightily in a few select call up games. If not then let them have a full year in the AHL and hold onto their entry level contract money.

I was thinking about St. Louis too, but it seems farfetched that Tampa would give him up. But, if they are going into a rebuilding phase, who knows? I too think St. Louis would be a great winger for Staal.

I'm still not convinced that we need a top winger for Staal. Isn't that what Whitney and Ruutu are? Each of them scores 20+ goals per season. With Staal getting 40 you're looking at a line that gets 90ish goals per year.

What we need is a 2nd line center that can get you 30+ goals. In 2006 that was Brindy. He had 31 goals the year we won the Cup.

If you look at our centers behind Staal (Cullen, Brindy, Jokinen, Sutter)... they're all 3rd or 4th line guys. We need a solid 2nd line center who's going to get us 30+ goals per year. Look at the Pens. They go Crosby then Malkin. There's no letup there.

I'm still not convinced that we need a top winger for Staal. Isn't that what Whitney and Ruutu are? Each of them scores 20+ goals per season. With Staal getting 40 you're looking at a line that gets 90ish goals per year.

What we need is a 2nd line center that can get you 30+ goals. In 2006 that was Brindy. He had 31 goals the year we won the Cup.

If you look at our centers behind Staal (Cullen, Brindy, Jokinen, Sutter)... they're all 3rd or 4th line guys. We need a solid 2nd line center who's going to get us 30+ goals per year. Look at the Pens. They go Crosby then Malkin. There's no letup there.

Every team in the league can't have a Crosby and a Malkin. Pretty much every team would like to have just one. Our problem isn't at center, it's at wing. We have a lot of really nice 2nd and 3rd liners but we need a legitimate, physical, scoring threat to skate with Staal.

Unfortunately, you can't just look at goals scored. Crosby and Malkin each had 70 or more assists. Staal only had 35. IMO, if Staal had that elite winger, you would see his assists go up, because he doesn't have to do or feel he has to do everything himself. How many times do you see Staal race up the ice and try to move around 3 defensemen? It's because the players around him just can't keep up. By the time he crosses the blueline there is nobody to dump the puck too.

Unfortunately, you can't just look at goals scored. Crosby and Malkin each had 70 or more assists. Staal only had 35. IMO, if Staal had that elite winger, you would see his assists go up, because he doesn't have to do or feel he has to do everything himself. How many times do you see Staal race up the ice and try to move around 3 defensemen? It's because the players around him just can't keep up. By the time he crosses the blueline there is nobody to dump the puck too.

Exactly. Think back to how often Staal would rush the puck up the ice and have to throw a weak wrist shot at the goal from the blue line because he had no support. I'd say it would average 2 or 3 times a game.

For next season i except:

Ruutu and LaRose will resign for three or four year. Cole for two but i want for one and in 2010 brings Kobasew for Cole replacement. Juice for two, too.

Ruutu- Staal- Cole

Whitney- Cullen- Larose

Samsonov- Sutter- Eaves

Jokinen- Brindamour- Walker

Pitkanen- Gleason

Corvo- Babchuk

Zanon- Wallin

Ward and Leights.

For 2010- 2011 - I think we will see young guys who will dominate with Albany. Whitney and Rod will retire. Boychuk, Bowman, Bellemore and McBain will come from AHL. Eaves and Walker will be far away from team. Staal will be new captain, Gleason and Pitkanen will be alternate.

Bowman- Staal- Ruutu

Boychuk- Cullen- Cole

Samsonov- Sutter- Larose

Jokinen- x- Dodge

Pitkanen- Gleason

Zanon- X

McBain- Bellemore

Ward and Peters.

Go Ganes. This is our future. I don't believe in mega trade who will bring to us superstars or in free agency signs. We can do it with these player next season and with young guys after two season.

Cullen had 22 goals and 43 points in 69 games last season, which is a 25 goal/50 point pace. That's solid second line production. Obviously he is not Malkin or anywhere close to it, but only one team has the likes of Malkin centering their second line.

Ruutu is not a first liner. His career high is 54 points. Maybe he can develop into one (he's only 26), but he's not right now. Whitney was a first liner in terms of production this season (77 points), but he's 37 years old and we may see a decline next season.

Cullen had 22 goals and 43 points in 69 games last season, which is a 25 goal/50 point pace. That's solid second line production. Obviously he is not Malkin or anywhere close to it, but only one team has the likes of Malkin centering their second line.

Ruutu is not a first liner. His career high is 54 points. Maybe he can develop into one (he's only 26), but he's not right now. Whitney was a first liner in terms of production this season (77 points), but he's 37 years old and we may see a decline next season.

And don't forget the job Jokinen did filling in for Cullen when he went down with the foot problem. To go in a different direction, I really like Jokinen. Not entirely for his clutch goals in the playoffs, but the versatility he brings for his contract value. If I'm JR, I get this guy signed for a couple of more years. Great find JR, now think with your dipstick!

Exactly. Think back to how often Staal would rush the puck up the ice and have to throw a weak wrist shot at the goal from the blue line because he had no support. I'd say it would average 2 or 3 times a game.

Think of how many times Malkin rushed the puck up the ice and slowed as he turned across the defense and dropped to a trailing teammate, or slowed and passed wide to a winger who then hit the opposite side winger with an open net or clear shot. There's more to it than racing willy nilly in the attack zone -- not that you were saying it was.

Think of how many times Malkin rushed the puck up the ice and slowed as he turned across the defense and dropped to a trailing teammate, or slowed and passed wide to a winger who then hit the opposite side winger with an open net or clear shot. There's more to it than racing willy nilly in the attack zone -- not that you were saying it was.

I'm really not sure which series you watched but Malkin killed us almost single handidly. Didn't really need his linemates.

Is anyone surprised or concerned that we havent signed any of our free agents yet? Or better yet, there is nothing on Maurice.

JR does things at his own pace so we may not see much until next week, he usually waits until the Stanley Cup Final is over.

JR does things at his own pace so we may not see much until next week, he usually waits until the Stanley Cup Final is over.

Good point, I am always a little nervous right now because I want to keep everyone on the team but at the same time think it is almost impossible. Especially with Sutter and Boychuk on there way

Good point, I am always a little nervous right now because I want to keep everyone on the team but at the same time think it is almost impossible. Especially with Sutter and Boychuk on there way

I get all wound up on July 1st (free agent frenzy time), get almost no work done that day - too busy watching the ticker to see who is going where.

I get all wound up on July 1st (free agent frenzy time), get almost no work done that day - too busy watching the ticker to see who is going where.

Samehere. I'm still debating whether I should just take the day off or come in and not get any work done.