The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Samehere. I'm still debating whether I should just take the day off or come in and not get any work done.

Same here, I don't get overly excited about the draft unless we have one of the first four picks (which meant we really sucked that year). Have always been interested in figuring out how JR thinks. Sometimes great (Pitkanen, Jokinen) and sometimes not so much (Hamilton, Melichar, Storr).

I wish I could share what I know! It is killing me!

you shouldn't post in this thread unless you can and can name sources, we have rules here (or so I am told - LOL).

Heatly wants out of Ottawa.. Theres are big name winger. Now JR get to work. Just imagine Staal, Heatley and Rutuu or anyone just Staal and Heatly together are scary enough

Heatly wants out of Ottawa.. Theres are big name winger. Now JR get to work. Just imagine Staal, Heatley and Rutuu or anyone just Staal and Heatly together are scary enough

Rumor has it he wants to go West, so a no-go from the get-go. Not to mention, we'd have to give up a lot to even come close to grabbing the attention of Ottawa's GM.

Probably a sign and trade of Cole/Ruutu, Boychuk/Bowman, D-berg/Babs/Borer/AHL defenseman + 1st to even come close. And that wouldn't make up for the 8 million we'd be taking on.

He'd be a nice addition for sure but we'd have to give up way too much and sacrifice other positions just to get him. He's going to cost $37.5 over the next 5 years, which would tie up almost 1/3 of our budget in two players. Top prospects like Boychuk or top players like Ruutu would probably be needed to make a deal and Im not sure how they'd get replaced if all that $ was tied up in 2 players. This doesnt even begin to address if the salary cap goes down.

Hasn't being a top heavy one line team been one of Ottawa's big problems over the past few years? The Canes will likely never be able to afford multiple contracts like that and will have to stick to icing a balanced line up imo. Loading up the top line only didnt work too well for Tampa either.

Not sure where you're getting the "he wants to go out west" Frog because this is a quote from The Fourth Period:

Stacey McAlpine, Heatley's agent, confirmed to TFP's David Pagnotta his client's intentions.

"This has been going on for several months," McAlpine said. "It's not something that just turned up over the last couple weeks."

McAlpine indicated that Heatley has no preference as to which team he'd like to be traded to, nor is any timeline in place.

Full article here:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090609.html''>http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090609.html' target="_blank">http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090609.html[/post]

Not sure where you're getting the "he wants to go out west" Frog because this is a quote from The Fourth Period:

Stacey McAlpine, Heatley's agent, confirmed to TFP's David Pagnotta his client's intentions.

"This has been going on for several months," McAlpine said. "It's not something that just turned up over the last couple weeks."

McAlpine indicated that Heatley has no preference as to which team he'd like to be traded to, nor is any timeline in place.

Full article here:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090609.html''>http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090609.html' target="_blank">http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090609.html[/post]

Actually, TSA, I believe it was Billy Jaffee on NHL Live yesterday that said his sources suggested Heatley would prefer to go to a western conference team. So, I heard the same thing Frogg did. Not that it matters, way too expensive for JR's tastes anyway.

Actually, TSA, I believe it was Billy Jaffee on NHL Live yesterday that said his sources suggested Heatley would prefer to go to a western conference team. So, I heard the same thing Frogg did. Not that it matters, way too expensive for JR's tastes anyway.

Ahh, makes more sense now. I only saw the Fourth Period article an didnt see a reference to any other source.

I agree though, not gonna happen.

Ginormous hell no, that bum should be in jail. Or at least just recently getting out.

That's a little harsh considering Dan Snyder was his best friend and it was the Snyder family that requested that they didn't want Heatley to go to jail.

That's a little harsh considering Dan Snyder was his best friend and it was the Snyder family that requested that they didn't want Heatley to go to jail.

I agree, at the end of the day it was a horrible, horrible accident. Dany will have to live with that the rest of his life, jail would have served no purpose.

And it also has nothing to do with Canes trade rumors. <_<

Depending on what the Wild decide to do about Gaborik, I could see them going after Heatley and they'd have the $ to land him.

Grr, I got so much to add about how much Heatly got away with. But since a nuclear fallout has a better chance of happening then JR bringing in a big name with a bigger contract then Staal I'll drop it.

However, Heatly was brought up in the trade topic and I replied with why I dont like him. Now unless you mean heatly doesnt belong in the trade topic because no ones actually rumored him to come here then yes it doesnt belong here.

Grr, I got so much to add about how much Heatly got away with. But since a nuclear fallout has a better chance of happening then JR bringing in a big name with a bigger contract then Staal I'll drop it.

However, Heatly was brought up in the trade topic and I replied with why I dont like him. Now unless you mean heatly doesnt belong in the trade topic because no ones actually rumored him to come here then yes it doesnt belong here.

Umm no. Heatley was brought up because of his request for a trade and the obvious top line winger need here. I dont see how discussing his personal life issues rather than his hockey ability has anything to do with the topic at hand.

But you do have a point that this should have been posted in the playing GM thread since there's no actual media rumor about him even entertaining the thought of coming to Raleigh.

Edit: moved discussion over to the GM thread

Heatley isn't the Anti-Christ or Osama Bin Laden for what he did. I would imagine that none of us at a young age drove too fast with a friend in a car after having a beer. It was tragic that his best friend died in the wreck, but the friend's family stood behind Dany and didn't publicly blame him.

Not sticking up for the man, but don't come down too hard on him either. Either way, he's not coming here because of the money and I'd be really surprised if J.R. gave up the cash and prospects to get him (gotta put one thing in this post "on topic" or TSA will get mad).

The trials of Dany Heatley

His actions killed a friend and endangered others on the road. My argument is if that family wasn't ok with it he would goto jail. How do you justify that to others who had to serve the jailtime for manslaughter for a nonalcohol related crash. It does happen...

If he had hit another car and that family wasn't ok with it I think he would have served 1-2 years in jail. Your responsible for your actions at all times expecially when you have everyone elses life in the world around you.

If I hop on 40 drive like a idiot but I'm sober and I hit you and wind up taking your life. Is that ok because I'm 24 young and stupid?

I dont think so :\

I'll drop it at that because I wasn't even supposed to post this but it's hard to let go what he did.

His actions killed a friend and endangered others on the road. My argument is if that family wasn't ok with it he would goto jail. How do you justify that to others who had to serve the jailtime for manslaughter for a nonalcohol related crash. It does happen...

If he had hit another car and that family wasn't ok with it I think he would have served 1-2 years in jail. Your responsible for your actions at all times expecially when you have everyone elses life in the world around you.

If I hop on 40 drive like a idiot but I'm sober and I hit you and wind up taking your life. Is that ok because I'm 24 young and stupid?

I dont think so :\

I'll drop it at that because I wasn't even supposed to post this but it's hard to let go what he did.

you have to let it go, he will be paying the price for that the rest of his life.

ok..you may resume hatin' on DH... :P

Looks like the Canes arent on the short or long list so this should end all the hatin' on DH for now.

Teams lining up for Heatley

TheFourthPeriod.com

When word of Dany Heatley's trade request broke this week, speculation has run wild over possible destinations the Senators might ship the star sniper.

According to several reports, the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Vancouver Canucks, St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers could all be in the mix.

While Heatley has indeed asked for a trade, he isn't demanding one be completed immediately.

"The timeline is entirely up to the team," Stacey McAlpine, Heatley's agent, told TFP's David Pagnotta yesterday. "All we wanted to do was communicate our thoughts and feelings to [senators GM] Bryan Murray."

McAlpine confirmed that Heatley's request isn't "something that just turned up over the last couple week" and the matter has been going on "for several months."

Murray has been exploring his options, but nothing is imminent.

Heatley isn't picky in terms of which conference he'd prefer to play it, he's simply looking for a change of scenery. McAlpine said Heatley and his representatives are willing to "help find an amicable solution so both sides can benefit."

Two teams believed to be very interested in Heatley are the Oilers and Kings. Both clubs have a pool of young tradable talent.

It's believed the Kings are willing to put together a package that could include such assets as defenseman Jack Johnson, forward Alexander Frolov and the fifth-overall pick in this year's NHL Entry Draft.

If any of this is even close to fact, the Kings giving up on JJ makes JR look like he made the right move after all, as if we didnt know already.

Man why would you want to play for the Kings, I'd rather stay with the Senators. I feel bad enough Justin's stuck in that messhole.

I agree that landing Heatley is a pipe dream... JR would have to give up so much for him, and pay him $8 million.

BUT... I would ask Ottawa if they'd take Cole with a fresh contract, with Sammy and a 1st round pick.... personally as GM... I'd make that deal if I could... Ottawa's GM would laugh in my face though....

Looks like Gleason for Johnson was a good deal... Johnson's burning bridges everywhere he goes...

Whitney is top line talent, but he's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. Therefore, he won't really help Staal get his assists up, but would continue feeding him great passes... so therefore you could keep Whitney on the top line with Staal and add another "Scorer" ... another pipe dream...

As much as I'd like to see it, I don't think you'll see ANY new faces on the top 3 scoring lines or D-pairings... (Rats aren't new faces, because their rights already belonged to the Organization)

I'm kind of confused about the Seidenberg, Babchuk re-signing process.

So supposedly... Seidenberg played well enough to deserve a pretty good sized raise. JR has said that signing Seidenberg is important to him.

JR has also said... that Babchuk can accept his qualifying offer or go back to Russia. Let's compare to 2 players.

Seidenberg had 5 goals, 25 assists for 30 points and was a -9 in 70 games played. He also took 129 shots and had a shooting % of 3.9.

Babchuk had 16 goals and 19 assists for 35 points and was a +13 in 72 games played. Ht took 127 shots and had a shooting % of 12.6.

So why is re-signing Seidenberg important but re-signing Babchuk is not? And yes I know the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent. A LOT of restricted free agents decline their qualifying offer because they know they're worth more after a good season, it is not uncommon. To me, it seems like JR still has sour grapes about what happened 2 years ago. JR knows he has Babchuk by the balls so to speak, because he doesn't have arbitration rights. IMO Babchuk has earned his spot on this team as much as Seidenberg has.... yet JR gives Babchuk the shaft, and Seidenberg is expected to get a nice sized raise. Doesn't seem right...

I agree that landing Heatley is a pipe dream... JR would have to give up so much for him, and pay him $8 million.

BUT... I would ask Ottawa if they'd take Cole with a fresh contract, with Sammy and a 1st round pick.... personally as GM... I'd make that deal if I could... Ottawa's GM would laugh in my face though....

Looks like Gleason for Johnson was a good deal... Johnson's burning bridges everywhere he goes...

Whitney is top line talent, but he's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. Therefore, he won't really help Staal get his assists up, but would continue feeding him great passes... so therefore you could keep Whitney on the top line with Staal and add another "Scorer" ... another pipe dream...

As much as I'd like to see it, I don't think you'll see ANY new faces on the top 3 scoring lines or D-pairings... (Rats aren't new faces, because their rights already belonged to the Organization)

I'm kind of confused about the Seidenberg, Babchuk re-signing process.

So supposedly... Seidenberg played well enough to deserve a pretty good sized raise. JR has said that signing Seidenberg is important to him.

JR has also said... that Babchuk can accept his qualifying offer or go back to Russia. Let's compare to 2 players.

Seidenberg had 5 goals, 25 assists for 30 points and was a -9 in 70 games played. He also took 129 shots and had a shooting % of 3.9.

Babchuk had 16 goals and 19 assists for 35 points and was a +13 in 72 games played. Ht took 127 shots and had a shooting % of 12.6.

So why is re-signing Seidenberg important but re-signing Babchuk is not? And yes I know the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent. A LOT of restricted free agents decline their qualifying offer because they know they're worth more after a good season, it is not uncommon. To me, it seems like JR still has sour grapes about what happened 2 years ago. JR knows he has Babchuk by the balls so to speak, because he doesn't have arbitration rights. IMO Babchuk has earned his spot on this team as much as Seidenberg has.... yet JR gives Babchuk the shaft, and Seidenberg is expected to get a nice sized raise. Doesn't seem right...

simple, Seidenberg is a UFA and if we don't sign him then anybody can after July 1st, Babs is a RFA and we have his rights so it is our offer or Russia (Babs lost his right to arbitration).

Seidenberg played well enough that he is going to get some interest around the league. If J.R. is equally interested in keeping both Seids and Babs, Seids is the main issue. Babs will get a qualifying offer and if somebody really wants him, we get compensation in picks. If I were Seids, I think I'd like to test the waters and see what's out there. It's nice here, but remember, this is business. He may only get one shot at a nice contract and if it were me, I would want to make the most of the opportunity. Babs on the other hand doesn't have any other option.

simple, Seidenberg is a UFA and if we don't sign him then anybody can after July 1st, Babs is a RFA and we have his rights so it is our offer or Russia (Babs lost his right to arbitration).

So if Babs stays, and repeats his season, he should get a nice raise next season?

How exactly did Babchuk lose his arbitration rights?... I didn't think he would have them anyway because according to the NHL Rules "players must have four years of NHL experience before they are eligible for salary arbitration". Babchuk's 03-04 and 05-06 Seasons with Chicago shouldn't count because he only played 5 games in 03-04 and 17 games in 05-06... the leaves him with 3 years experience.... or am I wrong?

IMO Babchuk brings more to the table... Babchuk had a +/- of +22 better than Seidenberg for starters....

EDIT: My point is.... Babchuk, restricted or not... should be worth what Seidenberg is, true or false?...