The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I wanted Babs back late in the season because I thought he was playing a more defensively sound game as well. It seemed like his goal scoring was feeding his confidence and allowing him to make better plays in front of Cam as well. When the playoffs started though we saw just how shaky his confidence is. I mean it didn't matter how well he was playing, he simply collapsed mentally. Personally I don't think JR should go anywhere near 2 million if the guy has to be playing out of his mind to actually be worth his contract because otherwise he cannot play with any confidence at all.

Also we have enough offensive d-men, we need more shut down guys. Seids fits that a little bit, but even he played really inconsisently throughout games sometimes. I don't think we should over pay for him either, make him and offer possibly and keep looking for better defensemen through trades and FA.

Babchuck is nowhere near the D-man that Wesley was; I'm not sure that there could be a more laughable comparison. But leave it up to Frog to stretch the limits.

The fact is that Anton Babchuck buckles under pressure, whereas Seidenberg can take the hit, keep the puck, and make the right play. We saw these exact things in the playoffs; Babchuck could barely handle the puck with opposing players hounding him, while Seids got boarded several times and still managed to do his job.

Now, who would you rather have on the team? An offensive D-man who can be exploited and rendered useless, or a more complete D-man who can be counted on in crunch time?

Considering the many different perceptions on this board, I wouldn't be surprised if half of you got the answer wrong. *cough Frog cough*

;)

Seidenberg is close to three years older than Babchuk. That's a lot of development time for a defenseman. When Seidenberg was 25 he went -12 in 20 games with us and was a big factor in us choking down the stretch that year. Compare that to Babchuk at the age of 24 being a huge part of us making the playoffs this season. Obviously Seidenberg has improved since 06-07, but many here think it is impossible for Babchuk to do so.

Who is better now? Factoring in the playoffs, it would be Seidenberg. But neither are great--I'd say Seidenberg is a #4 defenseman and Babchuk a #5. Seidenberg made his fair share of defensive errors in the playoffs as well.

Nevermind that it may not be our choice as Seidenberg is a UFA and likely will command well over $2M.

If it were up to me, I'd trade Corvo for a winger and keep both Babchuk/Seidenberg.

Seems this whole thing on Babs is a mute point. I've listened to the original interview several times and JR seemed really curt when saying "Babs could take his qualifying offer or go back to Russia." I think JR offers him 5-10% over 1 mil and not a penny more. I think there will be alot of GM's out there willing to pay close to 2 mil for Babs. I agree with those who see value in Babs. I would like to see JR offer him 1.5 to 1.7 mil and then see where we stand.

I never said Babchuk was some great defenseman or that didn't have his flaws. However, any defenseman that scored 16 goals and 35 points with a +13 rating is proven in my mind. Giving him up for a second round pick is an incredible risk, and even if it pans out you have to wait years for the player to develop. Sure, you could flip that pick in another deal but I highly doubt you are getting a defenseman better than Babchuk for it unless you throw in another big piece.

At the age of 24, Babchuk led the defense in goals, +/- and was 3 points shy of Corvo for the points lead despite playing in 9 fewer games and getting about half the average powerplay time.

At the age of 24, Joe Corvo spent the entire season in the AHL.

Point being is that defensemen taking a long time to develop. Babchuk is already here in the NHL producing and improving, yet some people think he's expendable because he struggled in his first playoff performance.

I think you are missing the point, no one is saying trade Babs for a pick or anything like that. Here is the scenario, JR will offer whatever the league rules are for an RFA (previous year plus 10% I think). He is doing that because that is all HE IS WILLING TO PAY. Along comes Columbus (who love overpaying for D-men) and lets say the sign him to an offer sheet of $2-3mil (after all they paid $3.5 for Commie). No way in this wide world of sports will JR match that nor should he. So in that scenario you take the picks.

Babchuck is nowhere near the D-man that Wesley was; I'm not sure that there could be a more laughable comparison. But leave it up to Frog to stretch the limits.

The fact is that Anton Babchuck buckles under pressure, whereas Seidenberg can take the hit, keep the puck, and make the right play. We saw these exact things in the playoffs; Babchuck could barely handle the puck with opposing players hounding him, while Seids got boarded several times and still managed to do his job.

Now, who would you rather have on the team? An offensive D-man who can be exploited and rendered useless, or a more complete D-man who can be counted on in crunch time?

Considering the many different perceptions on this board, I wouldn't be surprised if half of you got the answer wrong. *cough Frog cough*

;)

While I agree that come playoff time Babchuk can be exploited by opposing defenses, you're going to have that problem with any offensive oriented defenseman on a powerplay that is focused on getting point shots in the playoffs. Lets face it that strategy can work in the regular season when teams don't see the same units every night but they adjust. I'm not saying it was all the strategy Babchuk is shakier than Corvo when pressured but some of it comes from the strategy.

I understand that the guy disappeared and was a liability in the playoffs but you shouldn't throw away what the guy did in the regular season. Personally I don't think the team would have made the playoffs with Kabs in the lineup instead of him down the stretch. Yes his playoff performance was disappointing and at times he was appallingly bad in his zone but it was his first real trip to the playoffs and you have to make it there first for it to matter anyway.

If he gets an offer-sheet I'm not sure I would let him walk, it really would depend on the amount, the length of the deal, and the compensation. But if it were the mythical $2mil thats been bandied about I would match because the compensation isn't high enough. In the end though I don't think that offer-sheet is high enough to get him to accept it because it will have multiple years at 2 million. If he accepts the qualifying offer and has another regular season like he did the guy will get offered more money than that by someone, lest we forget the crazy offer Commodore got, a year from now.

While I was looking for some information so I could make my imaginary GM decisions, I came across this:nhl contract faqs

Let the confusion begin.

Back to Babs. He is young and has an upside. The downside to him is that he doesn't fit into the hole that we need filled right now (defensive defenseman) which is why I would extend only so far to retain him. I'd make the offer about 1.4 or 1.5 mil. That would be enough to merit a 2nd round pick in compensation if another team made an offer and we didn't match. The minimum qualifying offer of about 1.1 would only net a 3rd. It's all about options guys. No need to offer 2 mil a year when we will have the option to match anyway.

Seidenberg is close to three years older than Babchuk. That's a lot of development time for a defenseman. When Seidenberg was 25 he went -12 in 20 games with us and was a big factor in us choking down the stretch that year. Compare that to Babchuk at the age of 24 being a huge part of us making the playoffs this season. Obviously Seidenberg has improved since 06-07, but many here think it is impossible for Babchuk to do so.

Who is better now? Factoring in the playoffs, it would be Seidenberg. But neither are great--I'd say Seidenberg is a #4 defenseman and Babchuk a #5. Seidenberg made his fair share of defensive errors in the playoffs as well.

Nevermind that it may not be our choice as Seidenberg is a UFA and likely will command well over $2M.

If it were up to me, I'd trade Corvo for a winger and keep both Babchuk/Seidenberg.

Babs may or may not have a big upside but what we do know his mental make up is suspect at least. No one is saying he didnt play good down the stretch and most agree he could have great potential but......................................................................

wasnt this conversation about whether we should sign the guy vs other options? JR said he will send out the QO and he can take it or leave it. If he doesnt like that, leave. We could use the money to sign Seids. Babs may have shown progress in his development of skills but once again, its his mental make up that fails him. If Im JR, and Ive given this guy a chance again but seen the same questionable mental issues arise when the pressure got turned up, Id question the resigning too. Sure you can teach skills and change the way someone plays but you cant change someone's mental make up. Mo might not have been everyones 1st choice for a coach but he brought some mental toughness and resiliency back into the locker room. Babs was having a good stretch and breaking out while all this was happening so his confidence was at a all time high. As soon as things started getting tough on him, Babs confidence went in the toilet.

instead of a couple of you telling us how wrong we are with our thinking, consider that its a business deal. Do you spend the $ on the proven NHL guy that has shown great development in his well rounded game or do you take chance that the other guy who's shown good situational development might need constant monitoring and patting on the back to keep his confidence in check? Its not like they havent already done this for a season, this isnt mini mites and its not like Babs is some young kid rookie, he's been around a few years. He'll decide and we'll see what he's made of, he either takes JR's offer and commits to building his mental game and making his game more than one dimensional, gets pissed and heads back to the KHL, or some team takes their chances and we get compensation back (I doubt other teams havent seen what we have too). Its really that simple. All those stats are only half of the story. I hoped the guy finally beat the lack of confidence cuz it really seemed like it was the piece holding him back but there it was again when things got tight.

He's not a MUST sign, we have better dmen that play his game. What we need is a solid dman who can play a well rounded defensive game.

He's not a MUST sign, we have better dmen that play his game. What we need is a solid dman who can play a well rounded defensive game.
And of those better defensemen that play his game, Seidenberg is a UFA this summer and Corvo next summer. We could potentially lose both.

I think you are missing the point, no one is saying trade Babs for a pick or anything like that. Here is the scenario, JR will offer whatever the league rules are for an RFA (previous year plus 10% I think). He is doing that because that is all HE IS WILLING TO PAY. Along comes Columbus (who love overpaying for D-men) and lets say the sign him to an offer sheet of $2-3mil (after all they paid $3.5 for Commie). No way in this wide world of sports will JR match that nor should he. So in that scenario you take the picks.
I got the point entirely about the offer sheets. Babchuk was still being "given up" for a 2nd round pick in that scenario. However, you just changed the terms from $2M to $2-3M. Last season $2,615,623 was the number that required 1st+3rd compensation. If someone were to offer an offer sheet at that number or above, obviously you would take the picks and RUN.

And of those better defensemen that play his game, Seidenberg is a UFA this summer and Corvo next summer. We could potentially lose both.

I got the point entirely about the offer sheets. Babchuk was still being "given up" for a 2nd round pick in that scenario. However, you just changed the terms from $2M to $2-3M. Last season $2,615,623 was the number that required 1st+3rd compensation. If someone were to offer an offer sheet at that number or above, obviously you would take the picks and RUN.

Well Columbus has proven to be stupid enough, just look at Commies contract. I would take that money to sit in the penalty box.

Well Columbus has proven to be stupid enough, just look at Commies contract. I would take that money to sit in the penalty box.

haha that deal by columbus was pathetic they wasted their $$ big time.

Please, where did I say that Babchuck was anywhere near the defenseman that Wesley was? I simply said that Wesley, especially in his time here, was still an effective defenseman despite being slow and not very physical. Why? Because of effective positioning. Thus (and I can't believe I have to spell this out, since it should be obvious) you can have an effective defenseman even if he's slow and doesn't hit, something that seems to be the main complaints for Babchuck.

You mean a 25-year old defenseman playing in his first playoff run couldn't handle the pressure? Why, that's unheard of :o . Let's ignore the months of stellar play before the playoffs where Babchuk was one of our better defensemen on both sides of the ice. He was a +16 on the year for a reason, and it's not because he "coughed up the puck every play". Besides, as far as buckling under pressure, I'd be more concerned with defensemen who played just as poorly but actually had playoff experience. I'll give you a hint, starts with "C", ends with "orvo".

Obviously, the 2nd one. Too bad we don't have one of them. We don't have the first one either, so I guess that's a moot point. The fact that you believe Seidenberg could be counted on in crunch time is laughable. Did you watch him play in the playoffs? I don't feel confident in a defenseman that seems to be beaten by the same play 3 separate times in 3 separate games. Watch Game 5 against the Bruins, the 2nd goal. D-berg loses his man, does a spin-o-rama to try and find him, and the puck ends up in the net on the cross-crease pass. Game 6 against Boston, the Bruins 3rd goal, same situation. Cross-crease pass, spin-o-rama. And finally, Game 4 against Pittsburgh, their 1st goal. Guess who had their back to the goalscorer on the cross-crease pass?

And you want to talk about crunch time, look at the timing of the goals. Goal that made it 2-0, Goal that made it 3-1, goal that tied the game. Yeah, that's the definition of clutch play. :rolleyes:

Please, where did I say that Babchuck was anywhere near the defenseman that Wesley was? I simply said that Wesley, especially in his time here, was still an effective defenseman despite being slow and not very physical. Why? Because of effective positioning. Thus (and I can't believe I have to spell this out, since it should be obvious) you can have an effective defenseman even if he's slow and doesn't hit, something that seems to be the main complaints for Babchuck.

You can't compare the two.

Wesley could skate. He was slow, but he could skate. Not to mention Wesley had the mental toughness of the game and he was very smart. He had effective positioning.

Babchuk can't skate, he's slow, doesn't have the mental toughness and he's not quite there with the hockey smarts (then again, all our defenseman struggled here at times). Effective positioning and Babchuk should not be in the same sentence.

I think Babchuk's development has gotten better from the last time he was here. However, its his mental game that worries me the most. He hasn't shown me that he has improved in this area. You can have all the skills in the world, but if you don't have that mental toughness to play the game, you become a bigger liability. 99% of players who go in slumps, continue to play their game in hopes to get out of said slump. Babchuk, doens't stick with his game that can make him successful. Instead, he tries to do too much, he overthinks, and his overall play drops quickly and he just gets worse and worse and eventually finds himself in the pressbox.

If a team were to throw an offer at him for $2M, he's all yours. But in all honestly, I'd be shocked if he got an offer sheet. There are better defenseman whom I'd throw money at via the offer sheet.

The confidence issue is a big one, but one that will be remedied with age. As for the 99%, I think that's a little high, no? Older players tend to blow off their slumps, knowing that they'll break it eventually. Younger players, like Babchuk and Staal, tend to try and force their way out of the slump and just end up making everything worse. Or are we so quick to forget Staal has a really bad habit of doing just that?

And a lot of it may just come from the locker room out. If there are still sour grapes over his secession (and we know JR, at the least, still partakes of those grapes), it could affect a player's play or a player's confidence (one and the same, in Babchuk's case). I don't disagree that Babchuck's mental game is a mark against him. I'm disagreeing when there are claims that he was never good, just because he didn't perform well in the playoffs.

Just a refresher of what he can do when he's playing with confidence:

He turns over the puck with a hit ( :o ), keeps the zone when it could have been cleared and scored the game-winner, under pressure no less.

The confidence issue is a big one, but one that will be remedied with age. As for the 99%, I think that's a little high, no? Older players tend to blow off their slumps, knowing that they'll break it eventually. Younger players, like Babchuk and Staal, tend to try and force their way out of the slump and just end up making everything worse. Or are we so quick to forget Staal has a really bad habit of doing just that?

And a lot of it may just come from the locker room out. If there are still sour grapes over his secession (and we know JR, at the least, still partakes of those grapes), it could affect a player's play or a player's confidence (one and the same, in Babchuk's case). I don't disagree that Babchuck's mental game is a mark against him. I'm disagreeing when there are claims that he was never good, just because he didn't perform well in the playoffs.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

He turns over the puck with a hit ( :o ), keeps the zone when it could have been cleared and scored the game-winner, under pressure no less.

Dude, are you Bab's brother or something? Are you that guy from the other board that thinks he's a MUST sign? Confidence can be remedied with age but how long are you willing to wait? He's had a few NHL seasons and one in the KHL, no?

Staal has proven he can work his way of his slumps so how are you really comparing those 2? Oh yeah, like you compared Babs to Wesley :rolleyes:

Sour grapes? Locker room issues with Babs???? YOu know this how? Seems to me that Babs was given more special treatment and coddling than any other dman all season long, guess why?? HE HAS WELL DOCUMENTED CONFIDENCE ISSUES. Sorry, had to make make my point cuz its falling on deaf ears. And its not just about the playoffs but you can keep on saying that everyone here who doesnt agree with you are basing all this on the playoffs and are saying he was never good. Id READ the posts before jumping to his defense.

And if there is any truth to other players, coaches or JR having issues with, why let one guy ruin locker room chemistry? Even you have to agree we're not talking about a Lidstrom or any other elite superstar that would get some extra treatment because of their superstar status and what they mean to the team.

Then why not take Bab's $ if he wont be happy with the QO and give Seids a decent contract? Lock him up and watch him develop his all around game further without having to worry about him mentally losing it. He's shown he has that mental toughness Mo preaches through injury, press box detail and in the playoffs.

Again, if I had to choose between the 2, Id take Seids and that Chili's gift card (good fajitas) everytime. If Babs accepts his QO and works through his confidence issues, then we win there too.

1) Well said iamafirehazard and SD on keeping Babs...don't throw the barn but keep him at the right cost.

2) Thank you CLF...mentioning Glen Wesley and Anton Babchuck in the same sentence is just plain silly. Wesley had a certain calm about his play...Babs is a roller coaster ride.

3) Thank you Frog for showing that video...Babs stepped up and could've created a 2 on 1 for Pittsburgh...but luckily the puck bounced his way. ;)

Seriously though...yes Babchuck played extremely well during the last month or whatever...no one is discounting that. But just like you can't measure a player's true talent and ability over the course of one playoff season, you also can't go by what a player did over one hot stretch. I just believe that right now Anton Babchuck has a good skill set that can be exploited and rattled, and because of that he has more flaws than positives. But sure let's keep him and see how he develops. I'm really not sure what he could ever develop into...as CLF already said, players with mental issues tend to have problems getting over them.

Seriously though...yes Babchuck played extremely well during the last month or whatever...no one is discounting that. But just like you can't measure a player's true talent and ability over the course of one playoff season, you also can't go by what a player did over one hot stretch. I just believe that right now Anton Babchuck has a good skill set that can be exploited and rattled, and because of that he has more flaws than positives. But sure let's keep him and see how he develops. I'm really not sure what he could ever develop into...as CLF already said, players with mental issues tend to have problems getting over them.

Babs got mad and left when he couldn't take being sent back to Albany. Yes, J.R. probably has that stuck in his craw a little. When Babs left, he was developing into a puck moving defenseman and J.R. had to make some moves (trades for Corvo and Pitkanen) to get that covered once Kabs play deteriorated to press box level. J.R. had an opportunity to bring him back last summer for 1 mil and see what he had and there wasn't much to lose there. At times Babs showed that he had improved and at times looked lost. He showed enough to be resigned if the price is right. Resigning him still leaves us with an abundance of offensive defensemen with probably Mo's more defensive style.

A one year deal makes a ton of sense IF the price is right. It will give the team another year to evaluate his developement and with the other expiring contracts will give J.R. some flexibility next summer. Signing him at a reasonable deal also gives J.R. a trade bargaining chip and it makes a ton of sense to protect the asset. Don't make the mistake of giving him a multiyear deal on potential and don't fall in love with a player and see them for more than they are (assets to be used or dealt).

Everybody has their favorites and wants them back. We all agree that some changes need to be made to shore up weak points but you can't just resign everybody and hope that it gets better next year.

And a lot of it may just come from the locker room out. If there are still sour grapes over his secession (and we know JR, at the least, still partakes of those grapes), it could affect a player's play or a player's confidence (one and the same, in Babchuk's case). I don't disagree that Babchuk's mental game is a mark against him. I'm disagreeing when there are claims that he was never good, just because he didn't perform well in the playoffs.

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

how soon they forget froggy!! again i wouldn't break the bank on babs because for now we don't have to.

Babs got mad and left when he couldn't take being sent back to Albany. Yes, J.R. probably has that stuck in his craw a little. When Babs left, he was developing into a puck moving defenseman and J.R. had to make some moves (trades for Corvo and Pitkanen) to get that covered once Kabs play deteriorated to press box level. J.R. had an opportunity to bring him back last summer for 1 mil and see what he had and there wasn't much to lose there. At times Babs showed that he had improved and at times looked lost. He showed enough to be resigned if the price is right. Resigning him still leaves us with an abundance of offensive defensemen with probably Mo's more defensive style.

A one year deal makes a ton of sense IF the price is right. It will give the team another year to evaluate his developement and with the other expiring contracts will give J.R. some flexibility next summer. Signing him at a reasonable deal also gives J.R. a trade bargaining chip and it makes a ton of sense to protect the asset. Don't make the mistake of giving him a multiyear deal on potential and don't fall in love with a player and see them for more than they are (assets to be used or dealt).

Everybody has their favorites and wants them back. We all agree that some changes need to be made to shore up weak points but you can't just resign everybody and hope that it gets better next year.

at the time babs got sent down he was one of the better defensemen on the ice so he really didn't "deserve" to be sent down but at the time we only had two players with two way contracts, Babs and Ladd. He was the odd man out. Personally think his agent should have done a better job of explaining that to him. Babs took it personal.

at the time babs got sent down he was one of the better defensemen on the ice so he really didn't "deserve" to be sent down but at the time we only had two players with two way contracts, Babs and Ladd. He was the odd man out. Personally think his agent should have done a better job of explaining that to him. Babs took it personal.

Yeah, I remember that he was playing well enough to stay but a numbers game got him.

Farkin 4th D - In an easy button world I'd put McBain with Corvo. In my head McBain would rely on Corvo as a D mentor and Corvo's insecurities would repair themselves because he felt needed (like he did when he first came here). In a perfect world, of course you don't want 2 rookies in your top 6D but who knows Albany should be a fun team to watch next year - hope Hughes gets healed and finds his game again.

I'd be temped to buy out Wallin, but once we lose Kabs he's our most experienced Dman. Don't know - we'll see how training camp goes.

Draft Budish or other scarey, huge RW. Maybe trade Peters for a higher pick since we're set in goal and have Murphy budding.

Resign...

Jussi

Ruu

Cole

Kabs to KHL (or buy out...I wonder if they could trade with the KHL LoL)

Walk Seids, Bayda, Rosie

If Jussi stays with 2nd line caliber players all year, he will have at least 40 assists. I cry a little whenever I look at Roddy's contract length. Hope he gets his game back too.

Staal/Cole/Whit

Ruu/Jussi/Samsonov

Boychuck/Cullen/Eaves

Conboy/Brindy/Walker

D - 6th spot is really up in the air. Again, we'll see what happens at camp.

Gleason/Pitts

Corvo/Wallin

Babchuk/Carson

Rodney/Borer

Farkin 4th D - In an easy button world I'd put McBain with Corvo. In my head McBain would rely on Corvo as a D mentor and Corvo's insecurities would repair themselves because he felt needed (like he did when he first came here). In a perfect world, of course you don't want 2 rookies in your top 6D but who knows Albany should be a fun team to watch next year - hope Hughes gets healed and finds his game again.

I'd be temped to buy out Wallin, but once we lose Kabs he's our most experienced Dman. Don't know - we'll see how training camp goes.

Draft Budish or other scarey, huge RW. Maybe trade Peters for a higher pick since we're set in goal and have Murphy budding.

Resign...

Jussi

Ruu

Cole

Kabs to KHL (or buy out...I wonder if they could trade with the KHL LoL)

Walk Seids, Bayda, Rosie

If Jussi stays with 2nd line caliber players all year, he will have at least 40 assists. I cry a little whenever I look at Roddy's contract length. Hope he gets his game back too.

Staal/Cole/Whit

Ruu/Jussi/Samsonov

Boychuck/Cullen/Eaves

Conboy/Brindy/Walker

D - 6th spot is really up in the air. Again, we'll see what happens at camp.

Gleason/Pitts

Corvo/Wallin

Babchuk/Carson

Rodney/Borer

in addition to the wallet, buyouts also affect the cap. don't see that happening, Tanabe was the exception to the rule.

in addition to the wallet, buyouts also affect the cap. don't see that happening, Tanabe was the exception to the rule.

Cap doesn't ever really apply to this team, though, since it's conservatively budgeted. Cap was a non-factor for me. I figured I had about as much (or less than) last year to spend. Since, I don't think, my line-up would be too expensive, I didn't see the point of paying Kabs 2.2M or whatever to sit on his keister again.

I may be mistaken, but isn't Babs only worth a third round pick?

If he fits in with this team or not, Babs has a tremendous amount of talent. Our history of drafting is below average at best. Letting him go for a third round pick is lowering the over-all talent level on the team. We are already a team with, at best, average talent. A signed Babs could at least be showcased and traded for someone that fits in with the team better.

I seriously hope JR is just engaging in some contract gamesmanship, and does not have the cavalier attitude he is displaying about re-signing Babachuk.

Cap doesn't ever really apply to this team, though, since it's conservatively budgeted. Cap was a non-factor for me. I figured I had about as much (or less than) last year to spend. Since, I don't think, my line-up would be too expensive, I didn't see the point of paying Kabs 2.2M or whatever to sit on his keister again.

In a real world you are right, but for JR's purposes it does. He is not going to spend above what PK tells him he can and if he has to buy out Kabs then it counts against that. You might not see the point of paying Kabs 2.2mil to sit on the bench but JR and PK WON'T pay him $1.1mil to play for another team. At the end of the day it is real money.

I may be mistaken, but isn't Babs only worth a third round pick?

If he fits in with this team or not, Babs has a tremendous amount of talent. Our history of drafting is below average at best. Letting him go for a third round pick is lowering the over-all talent level on the team. We are already a team with, at best, average talent. A signed Babs could at least be showcased and traded for someone that fits in with the team better.

I seriously hope JR is just engaging in some contract gamesmanship, and does not have the cavalier attitude he is displaying about re-signing Babachuk.

that all depends on the offer sheet some other team puts in on him, it goes up or down based on the dollars they offer.