The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Dude, are you Bab's brother or something? Are you that guy from the other board that thinks he's a MUST sign? Confidence can be remedied with age but how long are you willing to wait? He's had a few NHL seasons and one in the KHL, no?

Staal has proven he can work his way of his slumps so how are you really comparing those 2? Oh yeah, like you compared Babs to Wesley :rolleyes:

Sour grapes? Locker room issues with Babs???? YOu know this how? Seems to me that Babs was given more special treatment and coddling than any other dman all season long, guess why?? HE HAS WELL DOCUMENTED CONFIDENCE ISSUES. Sorry, had to make make my point cuz its falling on deaf ears. And its not just about the playoffs but you can keep on saying that everyone here who doesnt agree with you are basing all this on the playoffs and are saying he was never good. Id READ the posts before jumping to his defense.

And if there is any truth to other players, coaches or JR having issues with, why let one guy ruin locker room chemistry? Even you have to agree we're not talking about a Lidstrom or any other elite superstar that would get some extra treatment because of their superstar status and what they mean to the team.

There's a difference between age and experience. While Babchuk has played a couple professional seasons, that still doesn't effect his age. Nice try though. And it's not surprising that you'd miss the Staal comparison since you apparently missed the Wesley one, so we'll just leave that as is.

And yes, I'm aware of his confidence issues. In fact, I brought that up in my previous posts. You might want to take your own advice about reading posts.

As for the last part, I agree that if there were was an issue in the locker room, Babchuk would have to be let go. I haven't seen or heard anything (other than hearsay) about any sort of issues. Judging solely by what I see on the ice, Babchuk's reserved, but he doesn't seem to be out and out creating a problem. The only one who's publicly come out and had issue with Babchuk is JR, and considering JR brought him back, it makes me believe that he's not calling the shots on this particular issue.

There's a difference between age and experience. While Babchuk has played a couple professional seasons, that still doesn't effect his age. Nice try though. And it's not surprising that you'd miss the Staal comparison since you apparently missed the Wesley one, so we'll just leave that as is.

And yes, I'm aware of his confidence issues. In fact, I brought that up in my previous posts. You might want to take your own advice about reading posts.

As for the last part, I agree that if there were was an issue in the locker room, Babchuk would have to be let go. I haven't seen or heard anything (other than hearsay) about any sort of issues. Judging solely by what I see on the ice, Babchuk's reserved, but he doesn't seem to be out and out creating a problem. The only one who's publicly come out and had issue with Babchuk is JR, and considering JR brought him back, it makes me believe that he's not calling the shots on this particular issue.

Confidence comes from experience so the fact that you disregard that the 2 are tied together, tells me a lot about your thinking. He was called a proven NHL player by Kahz (I think) so what else besides experience/age/and confidence would make him proven? Id say his 3 seasons of NHL/KHL make him a lot more experienced than plenty of other players his age. You would think that all that experience would have given him confidence at some level. Nice job in trying to diss another opposing view to yours.

You only added your comment of his confidence issues after it was posted by several others. I read the posts pretty closely when they interest me but thanks for the suggestion too. Im not the only one who thought putting Babs and Wesley in the same sentence was reaching and the comparison with Staal is reaching even further. Show me where Staal didnt pull out of his slumps and deliver when the heat was turned up? Again, no comparison. As for Wesley, he wasnt always slower. He was drafted as a good skating offensive defenseman 1st overall and was a leader in +/- for many of his 20 seasons. Comparing a 25 year old Babs to a 1st pick dman in the twighlight of his career is ridiculous, as others have pointed out.

If you hadnt heard or seen anything to back up your accusations of locker room issues with him, that too is quite a reach and an assumption on your part. You wrote it as fact (as you often do when its really only your opinion). Back up your accusations with links or a source if you dont want to be called on it.

If there are still sour grapes over his secession (and we know JR, at the least, still partakes of those grapes)

Seems like this whole Babs thing for you is personal. If it is and you're his biggest fan, just maybe you're not seeing the facts as others are that are looking to better the team. The Canes are known for their character players and so far Babs hasnt exactly proved his character one way or another so if we walks, so be it. If he stays, he has yet another opportunity to prove himself. What Im getting from most here is if its gonna take more than his QO with maybe a small raise, its not worth the $ that could be used to lock up a better option in Seids or even used toward a UFA dman.

Seems to me if does in fact have "confidence issues" then why would he not take the QO rather than the alternative, which would be moving to another team that might not "baby" him along as JR has done? Just wondering if .75 mil or so would push him in that direction.

You only added your comment of his confidence issues after it was posted by several others. I read the posts pretty closely when they interest me but thanks for the suggestion too. Im not the only one who thought putting Babs and Wesley in the same sentence was reaching and the comparison with Staal is reaching even further. Show me where Staal didnt pull out of his slumps and deliver when the heat was turned up? Again, no comparison. As for Wesley, he wasnt always slower. He was drafted as a good skating offensive defenseman 1st overall and was a leader in +/- for many of his 20 seasons. Comparing a 25 year old Babs to a 1st pick dman in the twighlight of his career is ridiculous, as others have pointed out.

Everyone pulls out of slumps. The length it takes them to do so is the issue. Older players tend to realize it's a slump and continue to play their game and break out of slumps earlier than the younger ones, who tend to try and force their way out of it. Look at this past season if you want a prime example of Staal doing just that. Went 8 games without a goal, had a hat trick against Pheonix, then went another 7 without one. Anyone who saw him play during that time knew he was feeling the pressure to perform and it screwed his play up.

And I'm going to post this again, since the whole Wesley comparison clearly went over your head. I'm not comparing Babchuk's career against Wesley's career. That's stupid. I'm using Wesley's style of play in his later years as an example of how it is possible to be an effective defenseman without being fast or overly physical. Yes, Wesley was drafted and played as an offensive defenseman early in his career. What does that have to do with anything that was said?

If you hadnt heard or seen anything to back up your accusations of locker room issues with him, that too is quite a reach and an assumption on your part. You wrote it as fact (as you often do when its really only your opinion). Back up your accusations with links or a source if you dont want to be called on it.

My accusations of locker room issues? Really? Please, I'd really like to know where you got that from, because I wrote nothing of the sort. I wrote that his confidence issues MAY (key word there) come from the locker room. I wouldn't be unheard of, especially when a good portion of the team was around when he fled to Russia. However, nowhere did I present it as fact. Please, don't twist my words just so it fits your argument.

Seems like this whole Babs thing for you is personal. If it is and you're his biggest fan, just maybe you're not seeing the facts as others are that are looking to better the team. The Canes are known for their character players and so far Babs hasnt exactly proved his character one way or another so if we walks, so be it. If he stays, he has yet another opportunity to prove himself. What Im getting from most here is if its gonna take more than his QO with maybe a small raise, its not worth the $ that could be used to lock up a better option in Seids or even used toward a UFA dman.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you consider a "character player"? A solid definition might clear up a lot of this.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Babchuk, I'm a fan of what he brings to the team and what he could bring to the team if he continues to improve. His play noticeably improved late in the regular season, when he got more minutes and was paired with a partner that offset his weakness. Pairing him with Wallin (which seemed to happen a lot in the playoffs) was just asking for trouble from the get go.

What I'm not a fan of is shortchanging a player because of past issues. Based on play alone, Babchuk's earned a raise more than the qualifying offer. Take any other defenseman on this team, have him put up the point totals that Babs did, and he'd be offered much more than what JR is offering Babchuk.

We need something to talk about. This horse is D-E-A-D, dead.

It's going to be a long summer.

Well, now that the cup finals are over JR can start signing people and pretty soon July 1st will be here. That covers us for about 2-3 weeks. After that things will be REALLY slow for a while.

TSN has posted their "Off Season Game Plan" for the Hurricanes (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281676).

A few excerpts:

"A strong playoff run has elevated expecations for the Carolina Hurricanes once again. That's not a bad position to be in, to be sure, but the 'Canes are going to have to be on the ball this summer to remain a contender."

"... goaltender Cam Ward and star centre Eric Staal are worthy building blocks for the franchise."

"Based strictly on his declining production, Walker would be a candidate for a buyout."

"[sutter] is a blue-collar checker who will improve as he gets physically stronger. He could at least play a regular role next season."

"... the Hurricanes can't afford to go without [Ruutu's] physical presence up front."

"... the 'Canes kicked it up a notch when they added Erik Cole..."

"... the 'Canes can't afford to get softer up front."

"... Jokinen was a surprise playoff hero... [His] price tag is a little high and would have been easy to walk away from before the playoffs but, now, he could be in for a regular role next season."

"The Hurricanes have several prospects coming from junior, though they might all be better served with some time on the farm to get acclimated to the pro game rather than getting rushed into the NHL. If the youngsters don't make the jump and Erik Cole and Chad LaRose leave via free agency, that would mean seeking some help on the free agent market."

"Tomas Kopecky or Mike Grier would add some size, while Mike Knuble, Todd Bertuzzi or Nik Antropov add both size and scoring ability."

"... Kaberle has fallen out of favour, which would figure to make him a candidate for a buyout..."

"... the 'Canes fared better when [Conboy] was in the lineup, so he's worth having around as a high-effort team team player."

"... [babchuk] has terrific size -- though he doesn't use it -- a big blast from the point and good offensive instincts that are worth nurturing."

"If the Hurricanes lose hard-hitting veteran Dennis Seidenberg to free agency, that would create an opening on the blueline for another free agent, preferably someone on the safe and reliable side like Mike Komisarek, Mattias Ohlund or Nick Boynton would work as might slightly more economical options like Hal Gill, Greg Zanon or Andrew Alberts."

"... Ward has established himself as one of the top young goaltenders in the game and a bona fide candidate for the Canadian Olympic Team in 2010."

"... Leighton is serviceable for the dozen or so starts that are required of him."

"... top goaltending prospect Mike Murphy is coming off his second straight OHL Goaltender of the Year award, the only goalie to be so honoured in the 22 years that the award has been presented."

TOP PROSPECTS

Forwards: Zach Boychuk, Drayson Bowman, Chris Terry.

Defensemen: Jamie McBain, Brett Carson, Kyle Lawson.

Goalie: Mike Murphy.

DRAFT

27th - Stefan Elliott, Zach Budish, Drew Shore, Ryan O'Reilly.

FREE AGENCY

The Hurricanes have approximately $40.5-million committed to salaries for next season.

Needs: One top six forward, depth forwards, one top four defenceman.

TRADE MARKET

Matt Cullen, Joe Corvo, Niclas Wallin.

It should be interesting to see what JR's definition of adding size is. Wasn't more than a couple years ago that we needed some kind of offensive defenseman, now we're in need for a physical, stay at home one. However, his answer to that last offseason was Melichar. Not exactly the cream of the crop.

And we need a mobile, physical defensive defenseman, because picking up another player like Wallin, while defensive-minded and physical, won't exactly help the team improve. I'm still hoping to grab Zanon more than anyone, because he's exactly the player we need. Physical, mobile, and a stellar shot-blocker.

I keep seeing Cullen's name pop up in potential trade situations. Does anyone really think that Cullen would be traded? Personally I'd love to resign him after this coming year. He always gives 110% and can be one of the better 3rd line centers in the league, and he plays the point on the PP a lot. Also Cullen can provide depth scoring wise if the 2nd line center (we currently are lacking one given Brind