The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

So does everyone agree then that getting a nice superstar winger (or something close to it) for Staal is absolutely out of the question for next season? What about the season afterwards, 2010-2011? Is JR just going to keep sticking our star centre with no-name wingers? Will we ever get to see someone like Gaborik speeding down the wing with Staal?

Knowing JR, I fear the answer might be a hardy NO. But I guess I understand...I mean we are a team with a self-imposed cap anyways. Yawn.

I think that next off season when we have alot of contracts expiring that is most likely when JR will get staal a big name winger. I wouldn't rule it out that JR would get one this season, but I just think that overall the probability of JR getting Staal a star winger will be during the off season next year when we have alot more money freed up. At the same time we will have to get a star winger for a decent price JR isn't going to spend 7 million+ to bring some in my guess is that 5.5-6 million and less will be what JR would be willing to spend. We could see a deal like Pittsburgh did when they traded Whitney for Kunitz both have a few years left on their contracts and the $$ wasn't crazy on either of their contracts.

I think that next off season when we have alot of contracts expiring that is most likely when JR will get staal a big name winger. I wouldn't rule it out that JR would get one this season, but I just think that overall the probability of JR getting Staal a star winger will be during the off season next year when we have alot more money freed up. At the same time we will have to get a star winger for a decent price JR isn't going to spend 7 million+ to bring some in my guess is that 5.5-6 million and less will be what JR would be willing to spend. We could see a deal like Pittsburgh did when they traded Gonchar for Kunitz both have a few years left on their contracts and the $$ wasn't crazy on either of their contracts.

Gonchar for Kunitz? Whitney for Kunitz. I don't think Kunitz made much of a difference in the playoffs. The Ducks when said in done got the better of this deal.

Gonchar for Kunitz? Whitney for Kunitz. I don't think Kunitz made much of a difference in the playoffs. The Ducks when said in done got the better of this deal.
Agreed. Ryan Whitney is only 26 has potential be a #1 defenseman. Kunitz is a pretty average second line winger who is not going to get better at the age of 30. Granted, the Penguins got a good prospect out of the trade (Tangradi), but #1 defensemen don't grow on trees.

I'd immediately jump on a "Fire JR" bandwagon if we trade someone like Pitkanen/Gleason for a second line winger. Now, Corvo on the other hand...

Keepers:Staal, Ward, Pitkenen, Corvo, Jokinen, Cullen.

Sign:Babchuk, Seidinberg, Larose, all 3 year, 7 million a piece. Ruutu at 3 years, 10 mill.

By the way all trades for players are assuming they are either signed or resigned like a sign and trade.

Trade 1:Leighton, 4th to florida for Craig Anderson.

Trade 2:Cole, Samsonov, 1st to Atlanta for Kovalchuk.

Trade 3:Brindamour, Gleason to Dallas for Trevor Daly and a 2nd.

Sign Mike Komiserik for 3 years, 13.5 million.

Trade 4:Pat Eaves, Matt Walker, 5th to Ottawa for Mike Comrie, 4th

Trade 5:Boychuk, Boyer, 2nd to Columbu for Huselius, 1st.

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Dwyer-Helminen-Ryan/Bowman

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

Cam Ward

Craig Anderson.

Thoughts?

Sign:Babchuk, Seidinberg, Larose, all 3 year, 7 million a piece. Ruutu at 3 years, 10 mill.

By the way all trades for players are assuming they are either signed or resigned like a sign and trade.

Trade 2:Cole, samsonov, 1st to Atlanta for Kovalchuk.

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

Cam Ward

Craig Anderson.

Thoughts?

I kind of shudder at the thought of some of those things happening.

One: I wouldn't mind seeing that, but I like Leights. I think he's a good guy and he can come up big in games like San Jose, as an example. Oh, and stopping the Ovie Penalty Shot.

Two: Doubt the Thrashers would take Cole and Sammy and a first-rounder for Kovalchuk. It's just not going to happen. Both of them are streaky players and are known to play pretty bad for teams other than us.

Three: No. Just no. Brind'Amour needs to retire here and we CANNOT give up Gleason. Timmy G is a big part of our D-corp. We need, need, NEED to have that kind of shut-down guy.

Komi Signing: Nuh-uh. He's been pretty bad and timid ever since his Lucic injury. Therefore, we need Gleason to be our shut down guy who is NOT afraid of anything.

Four: In the words of TSA... who is Matt Walker?

Five: I'm stomping my feet on this one. No way are we giving up Boychuk. I say we give him a shot in the big league before trading him off for Huselius.

Sorry for being so negative, I just don't see these things happening. Knowing Jimmy, much won't change. I think we'd see Justin Williams come back to this team before Jimmy makes a trade or a signing for a big-name player. Just my $0.02.

8467408.jpg

Walker plays for Blackhawks this season. Good defenceman for #5 spot.

--------

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

--------

Our team this year is better than this. Kovalchuk brings at least 40 goals but Huselius not worth future first-liner like Boychuk. Also, i think Colsy is more valuable to this team. Comrie is pathetic hockey player. Bowman on 4st line is a waste of time. Gleason is much better than overrated Komisarek.

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

Cam Ward

Craig Anderson.

Thoughts?

so basically trash the existing team (and the future) for a group that have never played together and may not gel/fight for each other. This is just so wrong!!

Get rid of a team that could win a cup for one that wears one, don't like the sound of that one.

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

Cam Ward

Craig Anderson.

Thoughts?

My thoughts.....

I bet it's pretty in whatever world you live in because it certainly isn't reality. However, this thread is "Playing GM", so you get to play too.

Seids, Rosey, and Babs for 3 years for 7 mil......really? Grossly overpaid for all.

1. Leighton isn't bad for about 12 starts and we have some young goalies in the system. A low payroll team can't afford a highly paid backup behind Cam's salary. Get used to low paid, occasionally playing backups.

2. Atlanta isn't making that trade and we don't need to throw around 1st rounders like they were baloney sandwiches, UNLESS it is a trade deadline deal to get a key player for a Cup push.

3. Nobody is taking Brindy now on a trade and we can't/shouldn't trade Gleason. We need to get better on D so why give up our most reliable stay at home guy? If Brindy plays better after the season starts he may have some trade value, but then, why trade him?

* Keep Gleason and don't worry about Komi.

4. First we need to locate and sign this Matt Walker so we can trade him....I guess? (superdave is confused by this one)

5. Why trade Boychuk? Almost everyone in the organization says he is the real deal and young players that can contribute are once again key to the success of a smaller payroll team.

Other than those few nit-picky things, I guess you are spot on.

Just a tip folks, samsonover's screen name should give you a clue as to what his intentions were here. ;)

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

Cam Ward

Craig Anderson.

Thoughts?

Wow :blink:

LaRose and Babchuk are NOT worth over $2M per year. They'll get offered $1.2-1.5M no more than that. Babchuk on the lower end of that range, LaRose on the higher end.

Craig Anderson is a UFA. If Florida re-signs him, they won't be trading him.

Speculation that Atlanta is working on a multi-year deal for Kovalchuk. He isn't going anywhere.

This org will NEVER trade Brind'Amour. Why in the world are we trading Gleason our ONLY shut down, physical guy. Remember he's only 26, he's just getting into his prime. Not to mention he's likely getting an 'A' when Staal takes the 'C'. Besides JR coveted him for years, he's got him now, he ain't letting him go now.

Comrie is a UFA, therefore, no trade with Comrie will happen. Sign and trades don't happen very often. Oh I get it, you just want Hilary Duff in the RBC.

No in trading Boychuk. He's our top prospect.

Wow :blink:

LaRose and Babchuk are NOT worth over $2M per year. They'll get offered $1.2-1.5M no more than that. Babchuk on the lower end of that range, LaRose on the higher end.

Craig Anderson is a UFA. If Florida re-signs him, they won't be trading him.

Speculation that Atlanta is working on a multi-year deal for Kovalchuk. He isn't going anywhere.

This org will NEVER trade Brind'Amour. Why in the world are we trading Gleason our ONLY shut down, physical guy. Remember he's only 26, he's just getting into his prime. Not to mention he's likely getting an 'A' when Staal takes the 'C'. Besides JR coveted him for years, he's got him now, he ain't letting him go now.

Comrie is a UFA, therefore, no trade with Comrie will happen. Sign and trades don't happen very often. Oh I get it, you just want Hilary Duff in the RBC.

No in trading Boychuk. He's our top prospect.

So I guess you missed the post about our dear departed samsonover. Who is also over.;)

So I guess you missed the post about our dear departed samsonover. Who is also over.;)

Give us a break. We've got nothing to talk about and at least we are on topic for a change.

Give us a break. We've got nothing to talk about and at least we are on topic for a change.

Good point, have at him.

We have 2 weeks until free agency starts and JR has signed a grand total of 0 players anyone else just a little worried?

Nope, not yet. He said he would sign LaRose and Cole before July 1st so we have plenty of time. Jussi, Ruutu, and Babs just need to be qualified before then.

We have 2 weeks until free agency starts and JR has signed a grand total of 0 players anyone else just a little worried?

Not worried yet. There is a lot of talk and a lot to consider on both sides of a contract.

If we get down to two days before free agency then I would be a little nervous.

Not worried yet. There is a lot of talk and a lot to consider on both sides of a contract.

If we get down to two days before free agency then I would be a little nervous.

Well I was writing mine when you wrote/posted yours.

I figured as much. :)

Kovy-Staal-Ruutu

Huselius-Comrie-Whitney

Jokinen-Cullen-Larose

Pitkenen-Komiserik

Corvo-Seidenberg

Daly-Babchuk

Cam Ward

Craig Anderson.

Thoughts?

There's no way we'd throw off the chemistry this much. I think JR would prefer to make a run for a full season with the guys we had in February. I think age is going to hamper us too much. I still think moving one of Whitney/Brindy/Walker would make sense. But I wouldn't completely shake up the lines like this.

I just don't see these things happening. Knowing Jimmy, much won't change.

He not changing much is what i am afraid of. I dont want to be another 3 seasons before we make the playoffs again. I am glad JR is loyal and change everything at seconds notice. Sometimes the team needs upgrades. The team needs, as everyone knows, a nasty D men, winger for staal, another top 4 dman, and 2nd line center.

I would like JR to get a Dman and Winger this offseason. Then go after another Dman and the 2nd line center next season. Too much salary coming off the books next season and being replaced by the rookie contracts not to spend some money on new guys.

Well, here's some interesting news:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282122

This means two things -

1. Goligoski put up 20 points in 45 games (6 goals), and the new contract is supposedly worth about 1.8 mill per year for 3 years. Babs put up 35 points in 72 games (16 goals), and is getting just the qualifying offer. Lowball much?

2. This signing also means, according to some Penguin fans, that Scuderi is now likely on the way out. His name was tossed around a bit here.