The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Reading on Spectors.com that Nashville is likely going to let Vernon Fiddler walk. If we let Ryan Bayda walk, does anyone think we would have interest in Vernon Fiddler? He is an average player to above average player - 17 points last season, drop off from 32 the season before. He will stick up for his teammates, fighting Zeiler this year after a hit on Zanon plus he likes to hit (If I recall correctly). Just an idea for another fourth line player with a little bit of toughness and heart.

Fiddler / Sutter / Walker

Wouldn't be that bad of a fourth line in my opinion, then again.... We do need to find a spot for Conboy.

EDIT - Here are Fiddlers stats from TSN and also his fight log from Hockeyfights.com

Stats.... http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2892

Fight Log.... http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/889

I just watch JR latest interview. It doesn't sound like Seidenberg will be a Cane next season. This means I'm almost certain Babchuck will be with us next season. But what about the spot left open from Seidenberg? Will Kaberle still be around and step up? Will Carson finally move in? Or will JR dip into free agency? It would be great to get Scruderi, but I think some other team is going to be able to pay him a lot more than we can. Zanon anyone? I really hope we can pick him up. I think Zanon would be perfect for our team. Lets just see what happens..

GO CANES!

I just watch JR latest interview. It doesn't sound like Seidenberg will be a Cane next season. This means I'm almost certain Babchuck will be with us next season. But what about the spot left open from Seidenberg? Will Kaberle still be around and step up? Will Carson finally move in? Or will JR dip into free agency? It would be great to get Scruderi, but I think some other team is going to be able to pay him a lot more than we can. Zanon anyone? I really hope we can pick him up. I think Zanon would be perfect for our team. Lets just see what happens..

GO CANES!

All good questions. I watched the JR interview and came away with the same impression that Seids will

probable not be back. Of course it could all be jockeying for position in the negotiations. I think Kabs will

go so I expect Babchuck will be back. My guess is we will be shopping for a D-man and a Winger. I would rather see us get Oduya then Zanon. Is Oduya available?

GO CANES!

All good questions. I watched the JR interview and came away with the same impression that Seids will

probable not be back. Of course it could all be jockeying for position in the negotiations. I think Kabs will

go so I expect Babchuck will be back. My guess is we will be shopping for a D-man and a Winger. I would rather see us get Oduya then Zanon. Is Oduya available?

Here is how I think it will go this year.

1. Ward will get a long term deal this summer to lock up the other cornerstone of the Franchise. If there is any extra money laying around from the playoff run they will put it into getting this deal done sooner than later. Also, it gets partially paid for out of #7 below.

2. Cole and Rosey get resigned.

3. Ruutu, Jussi, and Babs get qualified.

4. Seidenberg and Bayda walk this year.

5. Carson or Bain fill in for Seids.

6. Kaberle bolts to Russia.

7. Boychuk will fill in for Bayda and get some moments on the line with Staal.

8. Conboy gets his spot and we get team confidence at the start of the year so we don't have to make the 30 game win streak at the end of the year.

9. Whitney gets traded in the middle of the season to a contender for a rising star that will be Staal's new winger.

10. We spend more money in the 2010 when more free agents depart to get the big physical player/dman.

1. Ward will get a long term deal this summer to lock up the other cornerstone of the Franchise. If there is any extra money laying around from the playoff run they will put it into getting this deal done sooner than later. Also, it gets partially paid for out of #7 below.

8. Conboy gets his spot and we get team confidence at the start of the year so we don't have to make the 30 game win streak at the end of the year.

9. Whitney gets traded in the middle of the season to a contender for a rising star that will be Staal's new winger.

10. We spend more money in the 2010 when more free agents depart to get the big physical player/dman.

I think you might be right with most of this. But I don't think we will use Carson of Bain to replace Seids.

If they earn it in camp ok but I still think we are shopping for a D man. I'm not sure it will be mid season

before Whitney gets traded. Otherwise it looks like a plan.

I think you might be right with most of this. But I don't think we will use Carson of Bain to replace Seids.

If they earn it in camp ok but I still think we are shopping for a D man. I'm not sure it will be mid season

Kinda surprised no one's mentioned Heatley yet.. I know he makes 8 mil starting next season, and JR would have to give up some good stuff for him, but still.... just surprised no one has a plan like "Instead of Cole, Ruutu, etc etc.... trade for Heatley with this pick, this person, etc etc.."

Yes, he's UFA. I can't find his salary from last year though, but I would rather have Zanon anyway because he is a more "stay at home" defenseman.

I don't know Oduya's salary either but I must say he played well against us. He is aggressive, has size and

can hit.

He made 600,000 this season but his agent thinks he is worth 4 mil. Not in Carolina I wouldn't think.

Yes, he's UFA. I can't find his salary from last year though, but I would rather have Zanon anyway because he is a more "stay at home" defenseman.

I don't know Oduya's salary either but I must say he played well against us. He is aggressive, has size and

can hit.

He made 600,000 this season but his agent thinks he is worth 4 mil. Not in Carolina I wouldn't think.

Kinda surprised no one's mentioned Heatley yet.. I know he makes 8 mil starting next season, and JR would have to give up some good stuff for him, but still.... just surprised no one has a plan like "Instead of Cole, Ruutu, etc etc.... trade for Heatley with this pick, this person, etc etc.."

Sens would want to much and Heatley would want his 4 mil bonus.

Sens would want to much and Heatley would want his 4 mil bonus.

Here is the team that I would like to see for the upcoming season. We would be bigger and faster and could do this easily without spending a lot of money.

Whitney - Staal - Cole

Boychuk/Bowman - Brindamour - Ruutu

Bourque(CGY) - Cullen - Eaves

Bayda - Sutter - Mayers(TOR)

Pitkanen - Mcbain/Harrison(TOR)

Gleason - Babchuk

Wallin - Carson/Pardy(CGY)

Ward

Leighton

OddMen Out:

Samsonov - Trade

Larose - UFA

Jokinen - RFA(Trade)

Walker - Trade

Corvo - Trade

Seidenberg - UFA

Kaberle - KHL

I think Larose and Seidenberg are going to be looking for too much money and are replaceable.

We have a glut of young forwards trying to crack the lineup and could open up some room through the trading of Samsonov,Walker, and the rights to Jokinen (I think Walker would waive his no trade to play for Toronto ). Kaberle is rumored to be heading to the KHL. I think Babchuk is ready to play a bigger role with the team and this opens up room for Corvo to be traded. Both Mayers and Harrison are big guys who can skate and would be decent replacements for Walker and Seidenberg for less money. Bourque and Pardy would bring much needed size and are standup guys who would fill in admirably for Larose and Kaberle. Add some of our young talent to the mix with our great coaching staff and you have one heck of a team.

I hope your right that we are shopping for the Dman but I just can't see how the numbers will work to get the new Dman in the mix unless Karmanos is willing to give JR some flexibility for a year until there is more free agents in 2010. Unfortunately I think the number lean towards a 1.25-1.5 million type Dman which is going to be a tough pick-up for someone of quality (Slight upgrade from the Melichar experiment).

On a side note regarding salaries and the money the organization has available now we are paying for Lavi and one of the largest coaching staffs in the league (which I like our coaching group). Granted these guys don't figure into the self imposed cap but their salaries are going to effect the bottom line some place on the balance sheet on where money is spent.

All this being said I don't think we are getting too far from getting some contributions from some of the core D in Albany. I am looking forward to some new faces even if we have to live with the learning curve on the new Dman's part. I think our d will be much improved this year just from the perspective the guys will have a new beginning focusing on playing D as a five man unit that we got away from over the past few years but found late in the season. Hopefully we won't have to wait long to inject the size/physical play into the mix.

I hope your right that we are shopping for the Dman but I just can't see how the numbers will work to get the new Dman in the mix unless Karmanos is willing to give JR some flexibility for a year until there is more free agents in 2010. Unfortunately I think the number lean towards a 1.25-1.5 million type Dman which is going to be a tough pick-up for someone of quality (Slight upgrade from the Melichar experiment).

On a side note regarding salaries and the money the organization has available now we are paying for Lavi and one of the largest coaching staffs in the league (which I like our coaching group). Granted these guys don't figure into the self imposed cap but their salaries are going to effect the bottom line some place on the balance sheet on where money is spent.

All this being said I don't think we are getting too far from getting some contributions from some of the core D in Albany. I am looking forward to some new faces even if we have to live with the learning curve on the new Dman's part. I think our d will be much improved this year just from the perspective the guys will have a new beginning focusing on playing D as a five man unit that we got away from over the past few years but found late in the season. Hopefully we won't have to wait long to inject the size/physical play into the mix.

If (and it is a big if) Kabs goes to Russia we save 2.2 mil and Seids walks at his 1.2 mil we might have enough to sign an Oduya at 3.4 or 3.5 and have a Rat in the mix too.

If (and it is a big if) Kabs goes to Russia we save 2.2 mil and Seids walks at his 1.2 mil we might have enough to sign an Oduya at 3.4 or 3.5 and have a Rat in the mix too.

What kind of increase do you think Wardo will be in for? I love Oduya and definitely would like to see him in a canes sweater. To hear JR talk about how it was going to be tough to keep Rosey, Seids, Cole, and Bayda doesn't make me feel good about how much money is in the pot to make some acquisitions. I know Kabs is a big if in the situation but sitting on the bench may just be enough for the Russian bailout. If not the bailout I thought Kabs played ok in the playoffs and maybe it boosted the interest in him around the league enough for a trade of Kabs/third round pick for a depth right winger.

JR has said that he will not be working on an extension for Ward this summer, but will wait until next summer. He seemed to want to wait and see what the economy does in the next year, and it sounds like there won't be much in the way of economic risks taken this summer.

Seidenberg and Bayda walk this year.
I think it is quite possible Seidenberg will walk, but it is really hard to tell how much of JR's comments are just for contract negotiations. His comments last year might have led one to believe neither LaRose nor Gleason would have been back. I have thought that Bayda may be let go, but I am thinking it would be more likely he will be offered a two-way contract. It would be nice to keep him around for his experience, and a two-way would also allow the flexibility to bring up younger guys if they are ready. It would mean that he could get - and take - an better offer from another team, but with him having been with the organization for so long, I think they will at least make him an offer of some sort.

I'm not sure it will be mid season before Whitney gets traded.
With Whitney and Brind'Amour being pretty much the "senior" leadership, I doubt they will trade Whitney just yet, unless it is clear that Brind'Amour will be around for a few more years.

We have a glut of young forwards trying to crack the lineup and could open up some room through the trading of Samsonov,Walker, and the rights to Jokinen (I think Walker would waive his no trade to play for Toronto ).
After Walker's comments basically saying he made a mistake earlier in his career not making sure he was on play-off teams, I don't see him waiving his NTC for a team with any less chance of making the play-offs that the 'Canes in what could be his last year in the NHL. I also have a hard time seeing him being willing to uproot his wife from the support system they have with the team here. Considering Samsonov's history in Montreal, I think Toronto would be too suspect of his ability to handle the "big Canadian hockey market" pressure, so I'm not sure they would be all that interested in him.

If (and it is a big if) Kabs goes to Russia...
I think it may take a buy-out for Kaberle to go to Russia, although then he would also have the opportunity to settle on a more reasonable contract with another team in the NHL, which I would think would be his preference. I'm just not sure he will break his contract. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bought out. While the savings wouldn't be that great, it would free up almost 1.5 million for the upcoming season. Of course, half of that savings would come due the next year, but it still may be worth it to be able to juggle the expenses.

I think that next off season when we have alot of contracts expiring that is most likely when JR will get staal a big name winger. I wouldn't rule it out that JR would get one this season, but I just think that overall the probability of JR getting Staal a star winger will be during the off season next year when we have alot more money freed up. At the same time we will have to get a star winger for a decent price JR isn't going to spend 7 million+ to bring some in my guess is that 5.5-6 million and less will be what JR would be willing to spend. We could see a deal like Pittsburgh did when they traded Whitney for Kunitz both have a few years left on their contracts and the $$ wasn't crazy on either of their contracts.

Enter Alexander Frolov who I fully expect to be a Hurricane by next offseason:

-Rutherford initially wanted Frolov in the Jack Johnson deal, but the Kings' wouldn't do it.

-There was another deal that would have sent Cole to the Kings for Frolov straight-up, but it was also pulled off the table by the Kings.

-Not to mention the numerous times the two parties have been linked throughout the course of the last few years.

It's clear that Rutherford WANTS Frolov in Carolina. There seems to be some type of animosity between Frolov and the current Kings' management and coach, so it's likely he'll want out of Los Angeles when his contract expires next year.

As for a few other names that have been tossed around. Rumor is that Scuderi wants $3 million in free agency, so I wouldn't expect to see either him or Oduya in Carolina next season. I also think that if Scuderi were to get $3 million, that would instantly push Seidenberg's value on the market out of Carolina's range.

I stick to my plan I posted a few pages back, stay the course this season in preparation for a major overhaul if needed next offseason.

Just listened to JR's interview on the site....here's my take....Cole and LaRose get re-signed to REASONABLE contracts, Seidenberg is gone, Bayda is gone, Frankie goes Russian (but I don't get the impression that is a sure thing at all). Then there's the possibility that we stand pat with the possible exception of hoping that Bowman or Boychuk have a great camp and make the team. All the RFAs get qualified and then new deals get worked out if possible. If not, then one or more of them becomes trade bait. One or two of the 3 promising D-Men in Albany makes the club (Carson, Borer, McBain).

If the youngsters make the team, I think that they will see 1st and/or 2nd line time (IMHO). They are proverbial "snipers" after all. If that's the case then the lines might look something like this:

Bowman or Boychuk/Staal/Cole

Whitney/Cullen/Ruutu

Samsonov/Jokinen/LaRose

Eaves/Brind 'Amour/Walker

Conboy as the extra

Pitkanen/?

Gleason/Corvo

Wallin/Babchuk

Carson/Borer/McBain fighting it out for 2 spots.

But the more I think about this scenario the more I believe that with this line up there's a trade possible...at the draft, before the draft, after the draft. As much as I hate to say this I would not be surprised at all if one or more of Ruutu, Corvo, Samsonov, and Babchuk were moved. If that's the case then I do believe that we would pick up another D-man in free agency, maybe two. Of those four players, don't be surprised if Ruutu and Babchuk get packaged (and it pains me greatly to think that Ruutu might be going somewhere). But we all know the time to trade is when a player is at his highest value...right now Ruutu and Babchuk are the career year poster children on this team. We have also heard the rumors of Sammy and Corvo as trade chips given their performances (strong) as of late.

If the first trade goes down then you might end up with something like this line up:

Whitney/Cullen/LaRose

Eaves/Jokinen/Walker

?/Brind 'Amour/Conboy

Pitkanen/?

Gleason/Corvo

Wallin/Carson

Borer or McBain

I'm guessing that a guy like Dwyer, Dodge, or even Blanchard could be the 4th line winger...but that's all speculation, because even though I see a trade as a distinct possibility, I don't know who the trade would be with....it just smells like an option/possibility.....just my additional two cents worth...

Just listened to JR's interview on the site....here's my take....Cole and LaRose get re-signed to REASONABLE contracts, Seidenberg is gone, Bayda is gone, Frankie goes Russian (but I don't get the impression that is a sure thing at all). Then there's the possibility that we stand pat with the possible exception of hoping that Bowman or Boychuk have a great camp and make the team. All the RFAs get qualified and then new deals get worked out if possible. If not, then one or more of them becomes trade bait. One or two of the 3 promising D-Men in Albany makes the club (Carson, Borer, McBain).

If the youngsters make the team, I think that they will see 1st and/or 2nd line time (IMHO). They are proverbial "snipers" after all. If that's the case then the lines might look something like this:

Whitney/Cullen/Ruutu

Samsonov/Jokinen/LaRose

Eaves/Brind 'Amour/Walker

Conboy as the extra

Pitkanen/?

Gleason/Corvo

Wallin/Babchuk

Carson/Borer/McBain fighting it out for 2 spots.

But the more I think about this scenario the more I believe that with this line up there's a trade possible...at the draft, before the draft, after the draft. As much as I hate to say this I would not be surprised at all if one or more of Ruutu, Corvo, Samsonov, and Babchuk were moved. If that's the case then I do believe that we would pick up another D-man in free agency, maybe two. Of those four players, don't be surprised if Ruutu and Babchuk get packaged (and it pains me greatly to think that Ruutu might be going somewhere). But we all know the time to trade is when a player is at his highest value...right now Ruutu and Babchuk are the career year poster children on this team. We have also heard the rumors of Sammy and Corvo as trade chips given their performances (strong) as of late.

If the first trade goes down then you might end up with something like this line up:

Whitney/Cullen/LaRose

Eaves/Jokinen/Walker

?/Brind 'Amour/Conboy

Pitkanen/?

Gleason/Corvo

Wallin/Carson

Borer or McBain

I'm guessing that a guy like Dwyer, Dodge, or even Blanchard could be the 4th line winger...but that's all speculation, because even though I see a trade as a distinct possibility, I don't know who the trade would be with....it just smells like an option/possibility.....just my additional two cents worth...

A lot of good work went into that post and I can see most of it happening BUT don't see Corvo or Ruutu going anywhere, JR really likes those two. Babchuk might get moved depending on how his negotiations go and possibly Eaves (maybe we can give a team Kabs as a bonus).

No way Boychuk or Bowman make it past the 4th line this year.

Then they need to stay in Albany. I know I sound like a broken record, but don't waste a year of entry level contract to get 5 minutes a game. If one of those guys were going to be on the 4th line, we'd be better off with somebody like Bayda on a cheap contract.