The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I just want to look at the D here.

Everyone agrees we need a stay at home defenseman with size that can actually shut down top forwards. Right now we have too many offensive ones trying to fill the defensive role. We have Pitkanen, Corvo, Babchuk, Seidenberg, Kaberle and McBain as our offensive defenseman. Defensive ones are Gleason Wallin and maybe Rodney. Seidenberg had a decent offensive post season, but still was lost in his own end, just like during the regular season. Yes every once in a while he throws a big hit, but his value is on the PP. We have enough of that, younger and bigger talent too. Let Seidenberg walk. Go ahead and lock up Babchuk for 3 years at a cheap deal. He's a RFA and has no arbitration rights. Very little negotiating room, also he didn't show up in the playoffs. I expect JR to get a good deal with him. Even though Babchuk is not good in his own end, he has size and he's still very young. He's been a great asset on the PP as we all know, and I fully expect him back next year. Something has to be done with Kaberle, realistically the only thing is buying him out. That only saves us about 730k, but it's better than paying his full salary. Wallin is okay as a bottom pairing defenseman and doesn't make that much, 1.7. However JR decides to do it, the next thing to do is pick up a true stay at home defenseman with size. We can't go to Europe taking the NHL rejects and expect them to fill in a top 4 shutdown role. Throw Rodney in the mix, and we should be set for the start of the year. You can't expect for the team to do too much more with all of the forwards we have to sign. One thing to throw out is possibly trading Corvo at the deadline. He is getting older and his contract is up after next season. We have McBain waiting in Albany, and I'm sure he'll be playing on the team in the next 2 years. Corvo could get us some good return, wether it's a big forward or another defenseman.

Next Year, 09-10

Pitkanen-Gleason

Corvo-Shut Down

Wallin-Babchuk

Year After, 10-11

Pitkanen-Gleason

Babchuk-Shut Down

McBain-Rodney?

Second question, and I can only imagine the replies this will get -- If Eric Staal were traded, what kind of return do you think the Canes could get -- be specific as to players and positions thinking about the needs the team has.

Staal would never get traded, and JR has pretty much said that verbatim multiple times in the past. We locked him up to a long term deal and I believe he will be getting a NTC too.

I won't put my two cents in regarding the entire team because I hate trying to crunch in the cap hits but here's what I would like to see:

• Cole either walks or takes a ginormous home discount not to exceed 2/year.
  • Sign Rosey to a 3 year, 1.8/2/2.2 deal.
  • Sign Jussi to a one year with a very small raise
  • Sign Ruutu with a decent raise.
  • Try to package some combo of Kabs/Bayda/Eaves for picks if nothing else
  • As much as Staal needs a legit scoring winger, we also need another young shutdown Dman for the second pairing.
  • Babchuk can stay if he takes the same deal he had this year, I'm still not sold on him.
  • Keep Mo

It's gonna be interesting to see what JR does.

Staal would never get traded, and JR has pretty much said that verbatim multiple times in the past. We locked him up to a long term deal and I believe he will be getting a NTC too.

I won't put my two cents in regarding the entire team because I hate trying to crunch in the cap hits but here's what I would like to see:

• Cole either walks or takes a ginormous home discount not to exceed 2/year.
  • Sign Rosey to a 3 year, 1.8/2/2.2 deal.
  • Sign Jussi to a one year with a very small raise
  • Sign Ruutu with a decent raise.
  • Try to package some combo of Kabs/Bayda/Eaves for picks if nothing else
  • As much as Staal needs a legit scoring winger, we also need another young shutdown Dman for the second pairing.
  • Babchuk can stay if he takes the same deal he had this year, I'm still not sold on him.
  • Keep Mo

It's gonna be interesting to see what JR does.

Bayda is a free agent, so he won't be traded. I don't think Kabs will either as he's been through waivers and all a few times. Babchuk will also get at least a 10% raise for a qualifying offer.

Agree with you on Cole/stay at home defenseman.

So the board and media consensus is that the Canes need a top line winger and a top pair defenseman. I had been of a mind that they can only afford one or the other, but I'm not so sure now that the team profited around $5 mil this season with playoff revenues included. I would love to see Jay Bo in a Canes sweater to go along with Cam and Staal as a dynamic core for many years to come, but if JR does that it means no $$ for a winger. So, I'll say no to this for now.

If PK will put some of the profits back into the team, maybe the spending limit goes up $2 mil to about $53 million total.

I would let Cole and Seids walk.

Resign Rosey (1.6), Ruu (2.8), Jokinen (2.1), and Babs (1.5) ($8 mil total).

UFA signings: Komisarek ($3.25) and D. Sedin or Camalleri ($4.25) ($7.5 total)

Trade Kaberle and Eaves for later picks frees $3.6 mil.

The following team sets up for approx. $52.9 mil

Sedin-Staal-Ruu

Whit-Cullen-LaRose

Samsonov-Brindy-Bowman

Walker-Boychuk-Jokinen

Conboy

Komisarek-Pitkanen

Gleason-Corvo

Wallin-Babs

One of: Carson/Rodney/Borer/McBain

Ward

Leights

If making all of the above re-signings and UFA signings happens to run over $15.5 total to say $16.5, then package Kabs and Samsonov (instead of Eaves) to free the $. (I would say Walker instead of Sammy but that would be too far fetched even for this thread). Only changes to the line-up above would be Eaves on the 4th line then and Jokinen on 3rd.

JR has to see where this team is at. He knows that Conference Finals was a small overachievement. Now, he knows being a Cup contender is just a couple of moves away and he may have more cash. It will be an interesting off-season. Next season Walker, Corvo, Whitney, Wallin, and Cullen (and Kabs who I've already traded) are in contract years which will give room for JR to make moves at the trade deadline to fill holes for a Cup run or to make adjustments for the future if the season is not going well. (and no I do not think Wallin will ever waive his NTC.)

It should be a fun off-season and 09-10 season!

GO CANES!!!

It is interesting how people are putting Boychuk and even Bowman into the starting line-ups. Is that really far-fetched? I am not saying yes or no. Looks like Sutter is going to have to wait until Brindy is done to crack the NHL again though.

It also looks like people aren't building a 'shut down' line. Are we happy to try and go 3 lines like this year, or try for 4 lines that can score? Just some ways to look at the line-ups we are forming

My Offseason Agenda. As another poster said it's hard because we don't know the Salary Cap or Karmanos' budget.

-Resign Chad LaRose

-Resign RFA's Jokinen, Ruutu, Babchuk

-Try to Resign Seidenberg. but I don't think he'll stay, or someone will offer more

-Trade Joe Corvo and 4th Round Pick to Minnesota for Pierre-Marc Bouchard

-Buyout Frank Kaberle

-Sign Steve Montador (Impressed me in CAR/BOS Series)

-If any leftover money try to lock up Cam Ward

Bold=New Player

Red=Resigned

LINE 1 Bouchard-Staal-Ruutu

LINE 2 Whitney-Cullen-LaRose

LINE 3 Samsonov-Jokinen-Eaves

LINE 4 Boychuk-Brind'Amour-Walker

DPAIR1 Pitkanen-Gleason

DPAIR2 Babchuk-Montador

DPAIR3 Rodney/Carson-Wallin

GOALTENDERS 1.Ward 2.Leighton

SCRATCHES Conboy-Rodney/Carson-Sutter

-Start Drayson Bowman the year in the AHL, going from Juniors straight to the NHL is rough, ask Brandon Sutter.

Good God almighty; no way to Montador or Bouchard. Boston fans COULD NOT stand Montador, and simply put he is/was nothing in that series. What a joke. And Bouchard? One of the smallest players in the league, who without Gaborik this season could not maintain his 60+ scoring pace? Hell flippin' no.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing, you've got Babchuck on the second D-pairing...LOL. Yes, we all know you love him, but give me a break. It's third line for him or back to Russia, and that's it.

So try again.

For Cole, I agree with somebody else who said that Cole should be kept, for a lower price and short contract. Cole is a solid 45-55 point guy in the regular season; the playoffs of course are a different story, where he's never really had success (not in 2002, injured in 2006, and again not this year.) So I mean JR and company need to weigh that; Cole is great for Staal and team chemistry, and can definitely chip in for the regular season, but playoffs he may not be able to be counted on. Thus, I say we keep him, but again like so many have said not at a top winger price.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php

Just thought I'd post this here. Many players aren't going to be taking a discount to play here, and most will probably expect a bigger raise here than they would expect to play elsewhere.

For instance, one of the Sedin brothers was suggested in this topic. Playing together at Vancouver, they took a discount to play with each other. If they're separated, they're rumored to want up to 6 million a piece.

It is interesting how people are putting Boychuk and even Bowman into the starting line-ups. Is that really far-fetched? I am not saying yes or no. Looks like Sutter is going to have to wait until Brindy is done to crack the NHL again though.

It also looks like people aren't building a 'shut down' line. Are we happy to try and go 3 lines like this year, or try for 4 lines that can score? Just some ways to look at the line-ups we are forming

A shut down line could be to put together Walker-Brindy-Ruu (or possibly Eaves). Then adjust other lines as chemistry allows.

Boychuk on 4th line don't make sense. Give him time in AHL or bring on top 9 at least.

Lines 2-4 as I put them together could all play similar minutes in the 11-14 range. Getting 12 minutes a night in the NHL is not bad for development. Playing similar minutes across these lines has been used by Mo and I think JR likes the idea as well. I know management would like to see at the NHL level next year.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php[/post]

Just thought I'd post this here. Many players aren't going to be taking a discount to play here, and most will probably expect a bigger raise here than they would expect to play elsewhere.

For instance, one of the Sedin brothers was suggested in this topic. Playing together at Vancouver, they took a discount to play with each other. If they're separated, they're rumored to want up to 6 million a piece.

Yep, but I'd still prefer him of all the wingers available if he can't get $6 mil elsewhere. The Canes can spend about $8.5 mil total for top D-man and 1st line winger if they trade both Kabs and Sammy for picks and do not return Cole or Seids. Maybe they go after Camalleri if he is a bit less than D. Sedin and that allows them to bring in a shutdown D-man. The concept remains the same.

Good God almighty; no way to Montador or Bouchard. Boston fans COULD NOT stand Montador, and simply put he is/was nothing in that series. What a joke. And Bouchard? One of the smallest players in the league, who without Gaborik this season could not maintain his 60+ scoring pace? Hell flippin' no.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing, you've got Babchuck on the second D-pairing...LOL. Yes, we all know you love him, but give me a break. It's third line for him or back to Russia, and that's it.

So try again.

For Cole, I agree with somebody else who said that Cole should be kept, for a lower price and short contract. Cole is a solid 45-55 point guy in the regular season; the playoffs of course are a different story, where he's never really had success (not in 2002, injured in 2006, and again not this year.) So I mean JR and company need to weigh that; Cole is great for Staal and team chemistry, and can definitely chip in for the regular season, but playoffs he may not be able to be counted on. Thus, I say we keep him, but again like so many have said not at a top winger price.

Chill out, dude. This was just this guys opinion, which is what these message boards are about. I'm not saying you can't give your opinion, I'm just saying try to less of a jerk about it.

Yep, but I'd still prefer him of all the wingers available if he can't get $6 mil elsewhere. The Canes can spend about $8.5 mil total for top D-man and 1st line winger if they trade both Kabs and Sammy for picks and do not return Cole or Seids. Maybe they go after Camalleri if he is a bit less than D. Sedin and that allows them to bring in a shutdown D-man. The concept remains the same.

This team will never go after top free agents. I doubt Samsonov or Kaberle is traded.

Well, Sedin is one of the better wingers available, but I really don't expect us to even make a push for him. Him and his brother are either going to re-sign in Vancouver, or Carolina would just be outbid. Camalleri could work. He'd be an improvement on the powerplay, that's for sure.

And after attempting to trade Kaberle throughout the season and then eventually putting him on waivers and still being unclaimed, I think the only option remaining is buyout. No one wants that contract for the play that Kaberle brings.

I think Leighton could turn out to be a VERY good backup goalie. Problem? Well, it looks like Mo is the kind of coach who plays his #1 goalie until he is flogged. maybe Leighton would want to be on a team where he gets to play more than 10 games a season?

I love it. While I understand and realize, and know we need a shutdown d-man.... the last 2 offseasons ( or maybe it was this past one)

"We need that offensive minded d-man" "We need a QB for the PP" etc etc... 1 season we need the top O-Dman.... next season it's the top D-Dman... I love it. ;)

Seriously, we could do without Seids. I like him, and always felt no one gave him a chance. But we have here, for a full season and then some. Let's see what else we can get/do. We're stuck with Wallin and Kaberle. Both have their moments (OK, Wallin more so than Kaberle) But Wallin is grit, and I think he does a fine job as a dman for his price tag. Kabs, not so much.

I don't think we're going to nab the top winger we'd like, so be prepared to have our core back. I would so love to eat crow, and if JR wants to do it, I'd love it, but I don't think realistically much is going to happen.

Is Tampa Bay still in disarray where they could be taken advantage of? They've got a little winger that would be a nice scoring partner for Mr. Staal in Martin St.Louis. He's only making $4m per year for the next two years, so that salary would fit well in the Canes salary structure. If Tampa still feels they're in a rebuilding phase, could a boat load of picks be tempting for them?

Is Tampa Bay still in disarray where they could be taken advantage of? They've got a little winger that would be a nice scoring partner for Mr. Staal in Martin St.Louis. He's only making $4m per year for the next two years, so that salary would fit well in the Canes salary structure. If Tampa still feels they're in a rebuilding phase, could a boat load of picks be tempting for them?

I was thinking about St. Louis too, but it seems farfetched that Tampa would give him up. But, if they are going into a rebuilding phase, who knows? I too think St. Louis would be a great winger for Staal.

I was thinking about St. Louis too, but it seems farfetched that Tampa would give him up. But, if they are going into a rebuilding phase, who knows? I too think St. Louis would be a great winger for Staal.
During the season, there were all these rumors that they wanted to move Vincent Lecavalier. But Vinny, I think has an NTC, and really wants to end his career in Tampa. He's got deep charity foundation roots there and is the team captain. I don't know if Marty would object to going elsewhere (assuming he has an NTC).

We need size, not another small winger who is getting up there in age. We also should be holding on to our picks, no reason to trade them away.

And even though he's making 4 mil the next two years, his cap hit is still 5.25.

And after attempting to trade Kaberle throughout the season and then eventually putting him on waivers and still being unclaimed, I think the only option remaining is buyout. No one wants that contract for the play that Kaberle brings.

In the off-season with one season remaining there is more hope that someone would show interest in Kabs. Putting him in a package with Sammy might also draw interest because Sammy is reasonably paid and when he's in a groove can still score some beautiful goals for a team.

However, this does seem to be a point the board agrees on that I missed before, the Canes need to move some bad contracts such as Kabs, Walker, or Brindy. But there is great doubt that it can/will be accomplished, leaving the $$ crunch for who will JR or won't JR be able to go after.

You've got to remember though, Samsonov's still got that reputation for being the "Come and Go" player he was before coming to Carolina. When he didn't succeed in Montreal, and then in Chicago, that hurts a player's reputation. He'll need to have another great season at least if he wants to break that.

And even though he's making 4 mil the next two years, his cap hit is still 5.25.
Unless I'm missing something, the 'cap hit' is irrelevant for the Canes as they will be no where near the cap. The 'out of pocket' cost is what matters most. That's why for this team, as an odd example, having somebody hire Laviolette as a coach is important. The Canes are still paying his contract for the next two years, I think. But if someone else hires him, doesn't the other team pick up his contract which would free up some Canes bucks for players (or a coach!)?

What the Canes need:

Physical Defenseman- Don't re-sign Seidenberg and maybe go after a Rob Scuderi(UFA-Penguins) or a Johnny Oduya(UFA-Devils) or a Steve Montador(UFA-Bruins). Jay Bouwmeester(UFA-Panthers) I think would be too expensive.

I agree with the re-signing of LaRose, Ruutu, Bayda, Babchuk and Cole at a discount.

Winger to match up with Staal- Gaborik is too fragile and not a good risk. I'd rather stay with Cole (at a hometown discount) than have an injury prone Gaborik. Tanguay(Canadiens) is a UFA, but might be too expensive. Daniel Sedin(Canucks) is also available. Kris Versteeg(Blackhawks) is a young RFA. Plays with a nasty side. Hossa(Wings) or Brian Gionta(Devils) are UFA, but again, too

expensive.

Here is a list of free-agents

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?t...e&type=none

Well if history repeats itself the Canes will sign alot of the existing players and will then miss the playoffs for the next 2 years. Just sayin.

yeah....We would really like to avoid that

What the Canes need:

Physical Defenseman- Don't re-sign Seidenberg and maybe go after a Rob Scuderi(UFA-Penguins) or a Johnny Oduya(UFA-Devils) or a Steve Montador(UFA-Bruins). Jay Bouwmeester(UFA-Panthers) I think would be too expensive.

I agree with the re-signing of LaRose, Ruutu, Bayda, Babchuk and Cole at a discount.

Winger to match up with Staal- Gaborik is too fragile and not a good risk. I'd rather stay with Cole (at a hometown discount) than have an injury prone Gaborik. Tanguay(Canadiens) is a UFA, but might be too expensive. Daniel Sedin(Canucks) is also available. Kris Versteeg(Blackhawks) is a young RFA. Plays with a nasty side. Hossa(Wings) or Brian Gionta(Devils) are UFA, but again, too

expensive.

oduya and scuderi both will make some big money next year. montador sucked in our series. hope bayda is gone, we have the ahl for that.

On the Kaberle issue, a trade isn't going to happen before the trading deadline without giving up some assets to get someone to take the salary. That means if he is going to be elsewhere at the beginning of the year it will have to be a buyout, which only makes sense if you fill his spot with a guy from the AHL, in other words someone making less than $700k. So maybe it happens but I think we're going to be graced with another year of Frankie before he hits the road for good. That being said I think he is movable as the season goes along to a contender who wants an experienced 7th defenseman for the playoffs in case of injury, since he will be a UFA at the end of the year. In that case the canes wouldn't get much back but you never know.

On roster moves as a whole I'd love to know what the budget will actually be but I doubt we'll hear that until JR's done making moves since it could hamper his dealings if it is know by players, agents, other GM's etc. Assuming it stays around where it was this year the canes have 8 million to spend. Which means there is no way that there will be a big addition without a trade to dump some salary, or a surprise Brind'Amour retirement. On the whole I think that budget, plus the teams salary position in '10-'11 (about 24 million committed before this summers moves) and the cap possibly falling in the future means it will be another year of trying to augment this core with mid-level trades or bargain finds. If those moves don't work we could very well see the team blown up next spring assuming JR doesn't unexpectedly go long on and big with some of the FA's. I have a sneaking feeling we will see virtually this same team again next year unless someone has some bloated salary demands.

Given this team's deficiencies there is no easy way to fix them with the budget put in place and remain in contention for the playoffs. With that in mind I will be shocked if there is a move to bring in a #1 winger, #2 center, or shutdown defenseman. Maybe next summer but not now.