The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Then they need to stay in Albany. I know I sound like a broken record, but don't waste a year of entry level contract to get 5 minutes a game. If one of those guys were going to be on the 4th line, we'd be better off with somebody like Bayda on a cheap contract.
The year of the entry level contract gets taken up regardless of whether they are in the NHL or the AHL. It only doesn't count if they get sent back to their junior team prior to the 10 game mark.

But I agree, there's no point in playing them on the 4th line. It wastes crucial development time.

What kind of increase do you think Wardo will be in for? I love Oduya and definitely would like to see him in a canes sweater. To hear JR talk about how it was going to be tough to keep Rosey, Seids, Cole, and Bayda doesn't make me feel good about how much money is in the pot to make some acquisitions. I know Kabs is a big if in the situation but sitting on the bench may just be enough for the Russian bailout. If not the bailout I thought Kabs played ok in the playoffs and maybe it boosted the interest in him around the league enough for a trade of Kabs/third round pick for a depth right winger.

I don

What kind of increase do you think Wardo will be in for? I love Oduya and definitely would like to see him in a canes sweater. To hear JR talk about how it was going to be tough to keep Rosey, Seids, Cole, and Bayda doesn't make me feel good about how much money is in the pot to make some acquisitions. I know Kabs is a big if in the situation but sitting on the bench may just be enough for the Russian bailout. If not the bailout I thought Kabs played ok in the playoffs and maybe it boosted the interest in him around the league enough for a trade of Kabs/third round pick for a depth right winger.

I don

With Whitney and Brind'Amour being pretty much the "senior" leadership, I doubt they will trade Whitney just yet, unless it is clear that Brind'Amour will be around for a few more years.

Brindy says he will play next season. Will it be with us. I think that will depend on the role he earns in training camp.

If it isn't 2nd or 3rd line I think he will ask to be traded. He deserves to finish his career in the best role he can find.

But with his injury behind him he may have another good year for us.

It is hard to give up a guy like Whitney. He can score and he can skate but if we want ot get bigger and if we want

a quality Dman or winger you have to give up value. I will be happy if Whitney stays in a Canes sweater but then

who do you trade?

With Whitney and Brind'Amour being pretty much the "senior" leadership, I doubt they will trade Whitney just yet, unless it is clear that Brind'Amour will be around for a few more years.

Brindy says he will play next season. Will it be with us. I think that will depend on the role he earns in training camp.

If it isn't 2nd or 3rd line I think he will ask to be traded. He deserves to finish his career in the best role he can find.

But with his injury behind him he may have another good year for us.

It is hard to give up a guy like Whitney. He can score and he can skate but if we want ot get bigger and if we want

a quality Dman or winger you have to give up value. I will be happy if Whitney stays in a Canes sweater but then

who do you trade?

Based upon other top netminders, Ward should command somewhere between 5 and 6 million\year.

That will be a lot of free agents walking after next year.

Based upon other top netminders, Ward should command somewhere between 5 and 6 million\year.

That will be a lot of free agents walking after next year.

The year of the entry level contract gets taken up regardless of whether they are in the NHL or the AHL. It only doesn't count if they get sent back to their junior team prior to the 10 game mark.

But I agree, there's no point in playing them on the 4th line. It wastes crucial development time.

This is what I found on that issue:

All ELC

A lot of good work went into that post and I can see most of it happening BUT don't see Corvo or Ruutu going anywhere, JR really likes those two. Babchuk might get moved depending on how his negotiations go and possibly Eaves (maybe we can give a team Kabs as a bonus).

Thanks SD...I think my point is that if you're going to trade a valuable asset, you need to get value in return...of those two potential trades, quite frankly, Ruutu and Corvo are the true assets, Babchuk and Samsonov are the "upside" (both of which could continue to increase their production). While I think a deal with Babchuk and Eaves is an option, we're just not going to get the type of return we need for those two guys - one a wild card and the other an underachiever....btw, I still have an thought that Eaves might break out...just a feeling.

No way Boychuk or Bowman make it past the 4th line this year.

JR himself said that if they are to stay in Raleigh it would be on a scoring line (read 1st or 2nd line)...if they don't prove in training camp that they belong there then I don't believe they will stay up for 3rd or 4th line duties...which is what I said or at least meant to say in my post :P

Boychuk played those two games in the NHL this past year and IMO looked like a fish out of water. He will have to have grown leaps and bounds to make it to the 1st or 2nd line. I suppose in that regard I hope he makes the team but thats doubtful.

There'd be no reason to call up Boychuk or Bowman if all they were going to play was 4th line minutes. If that's the situation, it's better to keep them in the minors and let them get the icetime there.

I myself would look to offload Pitkanin, we have plenty off offensive d-men and he just might be able to get us that shut down d-man or the winger we need to go along with Staal!

JMO!

I myself would look to offload Pitkanin, we have plenty off offensive d-men and he just might be able to get us that shut down d-man or the winger we need to go along with Staal!

JMO!

Its a possibility but you have to remember the other Fins all like being here because they have their countrymen here. If we get rid of someone, that might change. Also, Pitkanen is younger than a guy like Corvo and has the potential to continue to improve whereas Corvo.... who knows (he did improve a lot this year). It would be hard to move a multi-year contract like Pitkanen's whereas Corvo has one year left and would be easier to move. It may all come down to whether or not Corvo really wants to be here next year. He seems like he does but you never know.

JMO!

Why would we trade a 25-year old top-paring defenseman? It would help fill a need, yes, but at the same time would open up another gigantic hole at defense.

Our "plenty" of offensive defensemen really aren't that many when you look at the contract statuses. Babchuk RFA, Seidenberg UFA, Corvo UFA next season. Pitkanen is the only one of our offensive D signed past next summer.

First of all, let me start by saying, SIGN ZANON!!! With that being said, I kind of like these trades.. (This is assuming we don't sign Seidenberg..doesn't

Babchuk for Brandon Dubinsky

Corvo for Chuck Kobasew

Cole, Samsonov OR Jokinen plus pick for Alexander Frolov

That way the lines would look like this

Frolov - Staal - Kobasew

Whitney - Cullen - Larose

Samy or Jokinen - Brind'amour - Ruutu

Eaves - Dubinsky - Walker

Pitkanen - Gleason

Zanon - Wallin

Conboy - Carson

I hate trading Corvo, but he is going to be an unrestricted free agent next season and I just have a feeling he is going to ask for too much to stay here in Carolina. I'm not sure how the Frolov deal would work. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm giving up too much or too little...probably too little. But I honestly rather have Samsonov back than Jokinen. Maybe the trade would look more like Cole, Jokinen, Walker for Frolov... I dunno.. But I really think Frolov would be excellent for our team, and I'm pretty sure JR has gone after him before... Also, I would have Ruutu on the second line, but I just feel as if Larose and Cullen play really well together... I know must of this probably won't happen.. Just some ideas.. What do you guys think?

Losing Babchuk and Corvo puts us back into the situation we were a couple years ago. No offensive production from the backend.

Yeah, well in that case we could just forget the Babchuck Dubinsky deal all together. That means we would have to trade Cole, Samsonov, and a pick for Frolov. So, the lines would look like...

Frolov - Staal - Kobasew

Walker - Brind'amour Ruutu

Bayda - Jokinen - Eaves

Pitkanen - Gleason

Zanon - Wallin

Babchuk - Conboy

I would like to have Seidenberg back, but it doesn't look like that is possible from what JR said yesterday. All of this is also assuming Kabs takes a trip to Russia.. So, is this any better?

First of all, let me start by saying, SIGN ZANON!!! With that being said, I kind of like these trades.. (This is assuming we don't sign Seidenberg..doesn't

Babchuk for Brandon Dubinsky

Corvo for Chuck Kobasew

Cole, Samsonov OR Jokinen plus pick for Alexander Frolov

That way the lines would look like this

Frolov - Staal - Kobasew

Samy or Jokinen - Brind'amour - Ruutu

Eaves - Dubinsky - Walker

Pitkanen - Gleason

Zanon - Wallin

Conboy - Carson

I hate trading Corvo, but he is going to be an unrestricted free agent next season and I just have a feeling he is going to ask for too much to stay here in Carolina. I'm not sure how the Frolov deal would work. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm giving up too much or too little...probably too little. But I honestly rather have Samsonov back than Jokinen. Maybe the trade would look more like Cole, Jokinen, Walker for Frolov... I dunno.. But I really think Frolov would be excellent for our team, and I'm pretty sure JR has gone after him before... Also, I would have Ruutu on the second line, but I just feel as if Larose and Cullen play really well together... I know must of this probably won't happen.. Just some ideas.. What do you guys think?

I agree that Seidenburg will most likely be gone and must be replaced. However, I think we all agree that one huge reason for the Canes' success has been the chemistry in the room. The players we have genuinly like playing with each other. You're suggesting bringing in four new players. That would be a lot of adjusting. I'm not sure how that would work out.

Yeah, well in that case we could just forget the Babchuck Dubinsky deal all together. That means we would have to trade Cole, Samsonov, and a pick for Frolov. So, the lines would look like...

Frolov - Staal - Kobasew

Walker - Brind'amour Ruutu

Bayda - Jokinen - Eaves

Pitkanen - Gleason

Zanon - Wallin

Babchuk - Conboy

I would like to have Seidenberg back, but it doesn't look like that is possible from what JR said yesterday. All of this is also assuming Kabs takes a trip to Russia.. So, is this any better?

I love the offense (though I doubt that LA would do that trade), but the defense is incredibly immobile and none of them other than Pitkanen can effectively get the puck out of the zone. I think a Babchuk-Conboy pairing would be one of the slowest in the league.

There isn't any need to give up assets for Frolov, just wait one year and sign him in free agency. Next offseason, by my plan I posted earlier, Rutherford would have roughly $15.5 million to spend in the offseason as well as a few prospects who may be ready to step into significant roles. That should clear the way for one or two significant acquisitions. I expect Frolov to be one on offense and maybe someone like Dan Hamhuis out of Nashville to fill Corvo's void on defense.

Check out this write up by Matt Karash

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21518&blogger_id=56' target="_blank">My gameplan for the Canes by Matt Karash[/post]

Pretty similar to what I expect to see happen, only major difference is that he believes LaRose will get $2 million a year here whereas I believe he'll get $2 million a year elsewhere.