The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

I myself would look to offload Pitkanin, we have plenty off offensive d-men and he just might be able to get us that shut down d-man or the winger we need to go along with Staal!

JMO!

Why would we want to "offload" a hugely talented offensive defenseman on the cusp of his prime playing years??!!!??

Carolina only has about 12 million to play with this off season (Assuming Kaberle leaves for Russia). I came up with the 12 million figure since our self imposed cap is suspected to be 52 million, our salary cap hit next season is around 42 million, then minus the 2 million that Kaberle makes leaves you with 12 million of unused salary. Resigning Cole, Ruutu, Jokinen, Bayda, Seidenberg, LaRose and Babchuk will cost millions more than the 12 million we have. Thus, logically some players will not be returning. Seeing as Jim Rutherford as said his priorities are signing Cole and LaRose, I fully expect them to return. LaRose should command around 1.75 million or so and Cole, hopefully, will take a pay decrease and settle for around 3 million. Babchuk and Ruutu are both restricted free agents, so expect them to be back also, with Ruutu making around 3 to 3.25 million and Babchuk getting about 1.8 to 2 million. That right there takes up about 10 million in salary. This is where you decide to sign Jokinen, also a restricted free agent, or trade his rights. Personally, given our large numbers of centers expect Jokinen's rights to be traded. Best case scenario, he is traded for a defenseman making around 1.5 to 2 million or another restricted free agent that is a defenseman.

So far -

*Let Bayda and Seidenberg walk.

*Resign Cole for 3 million.

*Resign Ruutu for 3 - 3.25 million.

*Resign LaRose for 1.75 - 2 million.

*Resign Babchuk for 1.8 - 2 million.

*Trade Jokinen (RFA) for a defenseman in the 1.5 - 2 million price range.

Our line would then look like this...

Whitney - Staal - Cole

Samsonov - Cullen - Ruutu

LaRose - [Jokinen leaves] - Walker

[bayda leaves] - Brind'Amour - Eaves

Gleason - Corvo

Pitkanen - [seidenberg leaves]

Wallin - Babchuk

Ward

Leighton

A defensive replacement for Seidenberg will either come from the River Rats or a trade involving Jokinen. There are a few options out there that fit our needs as a physical defenseman in that price range and skill set. One possibility is Vancouver Canuck restricted free agent Sean O'Brien. He fills the physical element, along with the willingness to drop the gloves and, judging by his plus/minus rating of +5, he also has a semi effective defensive game. He made $950,000 last season but will get a raise. If O'Brien is a no go, there are a few other options that will either involve a less physical player coming our way or involve a bigger trade. One possibly is Chicago Blackhawks Duncan Keith. He has one year left on his 1.475 million dollar contract, but WILL take more than just Jokinen to land Keith. Atlanta's Garnett Exelby could also be an option. But keep in mind, you also have the option of using a River Rat on the third pairing.

Offensive lines will probably not change much this off season. Sutter and Conboy will make a reappearance on the third line playing alongside either Eaves or Walker.

*Bring back Sutter to center the fourth line

*Bring back Conboy to enforce on the fourth line

These moves will thus create these lines....

Whitney - Staal - Cole

Samsonov - Cullen - Ruutu

LaRose - Brind'Amour moving up a line - Walker / Eaves

Conboy returning - Sutter returning - Eaves / Walker

Gleason - Corvo

Pitkanen - New defense player from trade involving Jokinen

Wallin - Babchuk

Ward

Leighton

----

Sorry for the lengthy post, its 2 A.M. and I cant sleep....

Why would we want to "offload" a hugely talented offensive defenseman on the cusp of his prime playing years??!!!??
Exactly. Rutherford tried for years to get a legit top-pairing defenseman like Pitkanen and he finally got him, so he's not going to "offload" him for a fix at forward/defense that can be easily filled by trading less important players or simply signing a free agent.

No offense to them, but you don't trade someone like Pitkanen because you have nice second/third-pairing defensemen like Corvo and Babchuk stocked up. Pitkanen is the only defensemen the Hurricanes have - prospects included - with #1 potential. He's not there yet (I'd describe him as a good #2), but he still logged the most minutes per game of any of our D last season and went +11 while doing so.

If you're looking to trade a D for a forward, Corvo is the obvious answer. He's likely maxed out his potential at 32 and is a UFA next season.

A defensive replacement for Seidenberg will either come from the River Rats or a trade involving Jokinen. There are a few options out there that fit our needs as a physical defenseman in that price range and skill set. One possibility is Vancouver Canuck restricted free agent Sean O'Brien. He fills the physical element, along with the willingness to drop the gloves and, judging by his plus/minus rating of +5, he also has a semi effective defensive game. He made $950,000 last season but will get a raise. If O'Brien is a no go, there are a few other options that will either involve a less physical player coming our way or involve a bigger trade. One possibly is Chicago Blackhawks Duncan Keith. He has one year left on his 1.475 million dollar contract, but WILL take more than just Jokinen to land Keith. Atlanta's Garnett Exelby could also be an option. But keep in mind, you also have the option of using a River Rat on the third pairing.
Pass on O'Brien and Exelby. O'Brien was second among all defensemen in minor penalties last season and Exelby is just a pylon who can do nothing but hit. While both are physical, neither are very good defensemen. I'd certainly want neither anywhere near a second pairing, though I could live with O'Brien on a third pair if he could learn to cut down on the penalties.

Keith would indeed take way more than Jokinen to obtain. He's a legit #1 defenseman and is likely untouchable as far as Chicago is concerned.

After all the hoops we jumped thru to bring Corvo and Pitkanen here, I just don't understand the mentality of dumping them now. They were not the reason we go swept by Pittsburg or got off to a rough start. If anyone gets traded then it should be Kabs (we will HAVE to sweeten that deal), Brindy, and maybe Whitney/Walker. The last three mainly because of age and right now we just might get something for them.

IMO,Pitkanin isn't a top line d-man. He wasn't for the Oilers and it wasn't all that hard to be a top d-man on the Canes last year. Everyone can have their opinions but he totally dissappeared in the playoffs. His 1 great pass to Jussi, to me doesn't warrant being a top line d-man. It's almost like Kabs a few years ago during the cup run when he made a big goal and he was givin the red carpet treatment for 2 years. Not sure what the Oilers saw or didn't see (aka the TRADE) but to me towards the end of the season, then into the playoffs he just wasn't a "top line d-man" He had problems keeping the puck in the zone and he got very lazy on the blue line. Again people these are just MY opinions based on what I saw.

Sorry Cole lovers, but at least Karash recognizes he is no longer a top-line winger. Putting Cole with Staal is just going backwards. Like I have said before, Cole benefits from playing with Staal, not the other way around. I like Gionta, and while a smaller player, he will muck around the boards and go to the net with no fear. And more importantly, he is a proven scorer, although his numbers have tailed off somewhat. That could be a good potential acquisition given we likely will need a bargain basement deal for a winger to go with Staal.

J.R. coveted Pitkanen for a while and finally landed him. I don't see him going anywhere unless J.R. gets an offer he can't refuse. Corvo has one year left on his deal with a reasonable 2.75 mil coming to him this year. The only way I look to trade him is if he isn't going to be resigned next season and somebody has a great offer. I'm certainly not shopping Corvo.

I'd try to resign the following:

Larose- 1.5 M for 2 years. If he puts up another good year, I'd extend him next summer.

Cole- 2.75 M for 3 years (one penny more and out the door)

Ruutu- 3 M for 3 years. If he won't do that, I'd offer 2.62 on a qualifying offer and if somebody picked him up, we'd get a 1st and 3rd. I don't want to lose him (my favorite player) but he has a history of injury and I wouldn't want to stretch too far out.

Babchuk- 1.5 M, 1.75 M for 2 years.

Jokinen- he made 1.875 M this year. I'd try to do that again on a one year deal. I'd really like to see what he can do for a full season. If it works out, he can be resigned. If not, we have some rising youngsters.

I'd let the following go and why:

Bayda- I really like Bayda, but we have Conboy signed for next season. They don't do the same thing, but I don't want to spend money and have it sit in the press box. Besides, you are looking at swapping those two for about 5 minutes a game. I'd like to see guys like Helminen resigned on some 2 way deals that could be called up.

Seidenberg- Tough one here. He's done well, but he's played his way into a bigger contract than we can probably offer for his slot. I know it would be controversial, but if Kabs doesn't bolt for Russia and barring a trade (both highly unlikely in my opinion), I'd go into the season with Kabs and Wallin as my 3rd pairing. You need to see if he has it or not. If not, you bring in a Rat or make a trade during the season.

That fills the team up with no extras in the press box. I'm still not happy about not adding size, not adding a winger for Staal, or getting tougher on D. Our hands are tied by the current contracts on aging players. I'd still be burning up the phones trying to make a trade somehow to shore those issues up. I like Eaves a lot, but he may be the odd man out for a trade if all the other guys are signed. If he can't crack the top 9, he's too expensive for a 4th liner who isn't playing the PP or PK. I don't think Brindy or Walker have any chance of being traded. I love Whitney too, but if he were a piece of a trade to bring in one of those needed pieces, so be it. You notice I'd really be willing to entertain any offer for one or some of our Oompa-Loompas if it would bring is size or grit. Basically anybody on the team whose name isn't Staal or Ward would be considered as a tradeable asset, but some more so than others.

What I am really looking for in a trade is a D-man who can move traffic away from Cam and a winger for Staal who can also camp out in front of the net on the PP. The money used to sign Babs isn't going to be enough to bring that D-man in from free agency so it will have to be a trade in order to clear out some money (gotta make P.K.'s self imposed budget). Pretty much the same deal with the forward I/we want for Staal. I try to get one of these pieces through a trade and fill the other need next summer unless something really odd comes along.

Gionta is still intriguing to me and I'd really consider him in Cole's spot with a little financial creativity. He is small but he would at least fit all our uniforms.

Sorry Cole lovers, but at least Karash recognizes he is no longer a top-line winger. Putting Cole with Staal is just going backwards. Like I have said before, Cole benefits from playing with Staal, not the other way around. I like Gionta, and while a smaller player, he will muck around the boards and go to the net with no fear. And more importantly, he is a proven scorer, although his numbers have tailed off somewhat. That could be a good potential acquisition given we likely will need a bargain basement deal for a winger to go with Staal.

The only way Cole goes (IMO)is if he doesn

The only way Cole goes (IMO)is if he doesn

I'd let the following go and why:

Bayda- I really like Bayda, but we have Conboy signed for next season. They don't do the same thing, but I don't want to spend money and have it sit in the press box. Besides, you are looking at swapping those two for about 5 minutes a game. I'd like to see guys like Helminen resigned on some 2 way deals that could be called up.

Seidenberg- Tough one here. He's done well, but he's played his way into a bigger contract than we can probably offer for his slot. I know it would be controversial, but if Kabs doesn't bolt for Russia and barring a trade (both highly unlikely in my opinion), I'd go into the season with Kabs and Wallin as my 3rd pairing. You need to see if he has it or not. If not, you bring in a Rat or make a trade during the season.

If I'm JR, Seidenberg is my top priority of the team's UFA's. He doesn't get much attention from the media or fan base, but he quietly ate up a lot of minutes for the team and did so successfully. I'd be willing to cough up #3 defenseman money for him.

It's too bad the Canes have Brind'Amour, Walker, and Kaberle yielding terrible returns relative to their salary...those contracts are really restricting JR's ability to improve the team. Kaberle has been junk from the being of his contract, Brind'Amour has quickly degraded (if you just evaluate his play, and not take into account his past achievements and current salary, the guy is not an NHL caliber player anymore), and Walker can't stay healthy.

He made $4mil, so half to $1mil just doesn't seem like enough of a savings.

I know it is a lot. On an earlier post I said we should offer Cole 2.8 and he could

take it or we wish him well. JR seems to want him back and I don

He made $4mil, so half to $1mil just doesn't seem like enough of a savings.

I know it is a lot. On an earlier post I said we should offer Cole 2.8 and he could

take it or we wish him well. JR seems to want him back and I don

My opinion (and I am not really thinking about salary cap ...too busy to dig all that up)

Pitkanen stays - He is a puck moving D-guy. That is his job. He is not a board banging guy like Gleason. His job is to move the puck up the ice, play the point, offer offence in regular and PP opportunties. He does that.

Babchuk - He may be here one more year but after that, he is back in Russia if someone will take him. He is neither a puck moving D-guy or a stay at home. His ability to move the puck is NIL.. I mean NIL. He treats the puck as a hot potato. Once he gets it, he dumps it fast to the guy 8 feet away, no matter what team the other guy is on. He has a shot but that is not enough to keep you in the NHL. If he can learn to move the puck up the ice, then he will stay in the NHL. But if he does not know by now, I don't think he can learn.

Kabs - Continue to try to trade him. If not, keep him for one more year in the same capacity to run out the contract Play Kabs before Babchuk.

Cole - 2 year at $2.5 to $2.75. or walk

Sids - Sorry gone. Even JR says he wants more money than Canes will pay. I like Sids but he fell apart. Sometimes he looks great, other times he is sitting in the box.

Larose - $1.4M for 2 years. As good of a season as he had, he is not a puck-handler and that is obvious when he trys to play like an Eric Staal. But you got to love him for what he gives. Keep his contract and keep renewing it and then let him retire and run for Mayor.

Corvo-- He has what? One more year ? Let him run it out and see how it plays. Another puck moving D-guy which if everyone remembers, we did not have and we needed. Never thought I would see Corvo and Pitkanen playing as a pair but sometimes it works.

Wallin - Let him play out his contract. He is a board-banger and we need that. Yes slower and has lapses but need meat back there unless they can get some young stud and buy out Wallin. Plus NTC.

Ruutu - I like the $3.5M for 3 years. He may want more. But if he slows up his scoring like he did in the POs, trade him in the future. Got to love the physical play.

Need a Stay at home D-guy who can skate pretty well ahd have some ability to get the puck up the ice. But a guy who can play positional hockey and make the other team think before they skate and cycle in the corners.

JMHO

A.If I'm JR, Seidenberg is my top priority of the team's UFA's. He doesn't get much attention from the media or fan base, but he quietly ate up a lot of minutes for the team and did so successfully. I'd be willing to cough up #3 defenseman money for him.

B. It's too bad the Canes have Brind'Amour, Walker, and Kaberle yielding terrible returns relative to their salary...those contracts are really restricting JR's ability to improve the team. Kaberle has been junk from the being of his contract, Brind'Amour has quickly degraded (if you just evaluate his play, and not take into account his past achievements and current salary, the guy is not an NHL caliber player anymore), and Walker can't stay healthy.

I labeled your post as paragraph A and B so it will make it easier for me to explain.

If you look at paragraph B, you will see that we can't have paragraph A. The money is tied up unless something else happens.

If I'm JR, Seidenberg is my top priority of the team's UFA's. He doesn't get much attention from the media or fan base, but he quietly ate up a lot of minutes for the team and did so successfully. I'd be willing to cough up #3 defenseman money for him.

Seids is worth a nice raise. I think he will get it but not from us.

The money is tied up unless something else happens.

Couldn't agree more. It would take moving to many players to sign Seids

and keep most the team. JR has pulled rabbits out of the hat before and I

guess we won't know until July 1 but I think Seids is going.

Seids is worth a nice raise. I think he will get it but not from us.

The money is tied up unless something else happens.

Couldn't agree more. It would take moving to many players to sign Seids

and keep most the team. JR has pulled rabbits out of the hat before and I

guess we won't know until July 1 but I think Seids is going.

I labeled your post as paragraph A and B so it will make it easier for me to explain.

If you look at paragraph B, you will see that we can't have paragraph A. The money is tied up unless something else happens.

Yeah, there is a good chance that Seidenberg is gone...and I understand the tough spot JR is in trying to bring him back...all that being said, I still think Seidenberg is more difficult to replace than a LaRose or Cole (and I like those guys a lot) and would be my priority amongst the UFAs if I was the GM.

It would be nice if Kaberle would show some pride and leave for the KHL where he can warrant ice time and earn his keep.

It would also be nice if Brind'Amour would swallow his pride and acknowledge that retiring would be best for the franchise.

Neither is likely...but I'm still holding out hope.

It would be nice if Kaberle would show some pride and leave for the KHL where he can warrant ice time and earn his keep.

It would also be nice if Brind'Amour would swallow his pride and acknowledge that retiring would be best for the franchise.

Neither is likely...but I'm still holding out hope.

Would you walk away from millions of dollars for pride?

I wouldn't. I'd make sandwiches in the press box for that kind of money.

I would stuff casings in Smilin Bobs house of sausages for that kind of money. :lol:

Been said over and over.....only an idiot would walk away from an existing contract.

I've seen a lot of line suggestions on this thread.

I think one of the things that needs to be mentioned is that LaRose and Cullen played fantastic when they were on the ice together in the postseason. I see the lines like this:

Whitney - Staal - Cole (the problem here is Whitney's age and Cole's frequent disappearing acts... I think we start the season like this but I'm not sure we end it like this)

LaRose - Cullen - Ruutu (this is a line that can get a goal per game average between the 3 of them)

Samsonov - Brind'amour - Eaves (Sammy plays better with Brindy; Eaves needs a breakout year or I think he's gone by the deadline)

Conboy - Jokinen/Sutter - Walker (the banger line)

Not sure what we do defensively. I think we won't juggle much. We'll lose Seids and likely hope that one of the D guys from Albany can step up. We'll keep Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo (although perhaps not for the full season; it will depend on where we stand in Feb), Babchuk, Wallin and, unfortunately, Kaberle. I have to admit that I thought Frank had a better POs than Babchuk, but we are certainly paying him a lot of money for being an occasional 3rd pairing on D.

I would stuff casings in Smilin Bobs house of sausages for that kind of money. :lol:

Due to the downturn in the economy, Smilin' Bob has had to cut staff and now he takes care of all the stuffing. Oh, and that's the International House of Sausages. ;)

I could see where someone would walk away from a contract because they wanted to retire, but not because they were too proud to cash a check for playing 4th line minutes or sitting in the press box.

Found this on hockeybuzz.com. Matt Karash lists 5 trades for the Canes that make sense.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash...-sense/56/21621

1. Tuomo Ruutu & Anton Babchuk to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis

2. Anton Babchuk and Patrick Eaves(or prospect) to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa

3. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and a prospect to Florida for Nathan Horton

4. Reasonably priced player or prospect to Boston for Blake Wheeler

5. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and 1st Round Pick to Anaheim for Chris Pronger

I wouldn't mind a trade for Wheeler, or Horton but no way do I want Pronger or St.Louis.