The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

People on several of the other teams boards are bringing up Seidenbergs name left and right, and throwing out contract amounts in the 3 - 4 million range. I would love to see him on our team again next year, but not for that amount of money. I can't say as I blame him. The guy is 27 yrs. old - just about in the prime of his career - and had a really good year this past season.

Found this on hockeybuzz.com. Matt Karash lists 5 trades for the Canes that make sense.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash/Canes-trades-that-could-make-sense/56/21621' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash...-sense/56/21621[/post]

1. Tuomo Ruutu & Anton Babchuk to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis

2. Anton Babchuk and Patrick Eaves(or prospect) to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa

3. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and a prospect to Florida for Nathan Horton

4. Reasonably priced player or prospect to Boston for Blake Wheeler

5. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and 1st Round Pick to Anaheim for Chris Pronger

I wouldn't mind a trade for Wheeler, or Horton but no way do I want Pronger or St.Louis.

#'s 1 and 3 make no sense because why would either team deal top players to another team in the same division?

The rest don't kind of make sense based on what we need, but in general JR doesn't really make too many huge deals.

#'s 1 and 3 make no sense because why would either team deal top players to another team in the same division?

The rest don't kind of make sense based on what we need, but in general JR doesn't really make too many huge deals.

you have to read the full column, Matt Karesh explains in detail why each team would do the deal.

Found this on hockeybuzz.com. Matt Karash lists 5 trades for the Canes that make sense.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash/Canes-trades-that-could-make-sense/56/21621' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash...-sense/56/21621[/post]

I wouldn't mind a trade for Wheeler, or Horton but no way do I want Pronger or St.Louis.

1 - I think it would take more than that to get St. Louis, but Tampa has been stupid before. We'd have to dump some additional salary as well to get him.

2 - Probably over-paying for Beiksa with Babchuk and Eaves, but I might do a prospect plus Babchuk. Beiksa gets hurt a lot though.

3 - I like the Horton trade. Pretty fair, plus Horton is not making an unreasonable amount of money.

4 - I like Wheeler, but the Bruins will probably get someone to overpay for him.

5 - Pronger is a *$#@%. I don't want him within 100 miles of this franchise ever again.

IMO,Pitkanin isn't a top line d-man. He wasn't for the Oilers and it wasn't all that hard to be a top d-man on the Canes last year. Everyone can have their opinions but he totally dissappeared in the playoffs. His 1 great pass to Jussi, to me doesn't warrant being a top line d-man. It's almost like Kabs a few years ago during the cup run when he made a big goal and he was givin the red carpet treatment for 2 years. Not sure what the Oilers saw or didn't see (aka the TRADE) but to me towards the end of the season, then into the playoffs he just wasn't a "top line d-man" He had problems keeping the puck in the zone and he got very lazy on the blue line. Again people these are just MY opinions based on what I saw.
Wasn't hard to be a top d-man on the 'Canes? We finished with the 8th-fewest goals against in the league.

As for the Oilers, he was #2 in average ice time on the team and was the #1 defenseman for most of the season after Souray got hurt. He got traded because he requested a trade (which most people didn't hear about since he did it privately unlike Dany Heatley), not because of poor play. He's logged at least 23:42/game in every season of his career besides his rookie year. That's a first-paring defenseman.

I never said he was Nicklas Lidstrom or even a true #1 defenseman. He has his faults, but if you want to improve your defense you don't do it by trading arguably your best defenseman who happens to be only 25 years old.

1 - I think it would take more than that to get St. Louis, but Tampa has been stupid before. We'd have to dump some additional salary as well to get him.

2 - Probably over-paying for Beiksa with Babchuk and Eaves, but I might do a prospect plus Babchuk. Beiksa gets hurt a lot though.

3 - I like the Horton trade. Pretty fair, plus Horton is not making an unreasonable amount of money.

4 - I like Wheeler, but the Bruins will probably get someone to overpay for him.

5 - Pronger is a *$#@%. I don't want him within 100 miles of this franchise ever again.

Maybe I don't understand the situation in FLA, but I don't see Horton going anywhere.

I don't want to see how this team trade draft picks and prospects. We have only Boychuk, Bowman, Terry, McBain, Sutter and Bellemore. This player is our future, so... we need keep them. Players like Bieksa and Horton don't cost young guns.

Our draft is pretty bad also... but i believe in this guys. Draft Klingberg, JR, and we will have another good player.

With this stupid post i mean - we need young guys for future.

I don't want to see how this team trade draft picks and prospects. We have only Boychuk, Bowman, Terry, McBain, Sutter and Bellemore. This player is our future, so... we need keep them. Players like Bieksa and Horton don't cost young guns.

Our draft is pretty bad also... but i believe in this guys. Draft Klingberg, JR, and we will have another good player.

The young guns give us cost controlled league level guys, but I don't see any one of them being "must keep" players. As long as we are not trading the whole lot of them, I would do a trade with any one of these guys in a heartbeat if it helped us out. We need young guys for our future, but any one of them is expendable for the right trade.

This could be just me..but I think these are all pretty dumb ideas..

This could be just me..but I think these are all pretty dumb ideas..

If you would take the time to read the ENTIRE post over at hockeybuzz then you would understand why Matt Karesh posted them their. The abbreviated version doesn't really make much sense.

Canes trades that could make sense

June 19, 2009, 12:00 PM ET [80 Comments] AddThis

Matt Karash

Carolina Hurricanes Blogger

I think the "Future is Now" in regards to next season. We got a taste of the playoffs and a deep run at that. We should be only one to three players away to do even better next year. We can add or rebuild

the following season with the young guns from Albany.

I understand your reluctance to give up picks or prospects but if a trade helps us achieve another Cup run, I think we make the deal. Not all of are prospects are going to make it. The best we can do is try and keep the ones we need after next year.

I think the "Future is Now" in regards to next season. We got a taste of the playoffs and a deep run at that. We should be only one to three players away to do even better next year. We can add or rebuild

the following season with the young guns from Albany.

I understand your reluctance to give up picks or prospects but if a trade helps us achieve another Cup run, I think we make the deal. Not all of are prospects are going to make it. The best we can do is try and keep the ones we need after next year.

I understand your reluctance to give up picks or prospects but if a trade helps us achieve another Cup run, I think we make the deal.

Agree.. but if we trade pick or prospect, let's trade for players like Hemsky for example.. not Kobasew, Bieksa and players like that. Just opinion. You never know, maybe Kobasew or Bieksa will help a lot, maybe not...

Not all of are prospects are going to make it. The best we can do is try and keep the ones we need after next year.

Agree too. Like i said, i think Boychuk will be very good NHL player, McBain will be, Bellemore too and my favourite Terry. For Bowman i'm not too sure. For Dalpe i don't know anything... And Sutter if he can develope and play like in juniors year, he will be Brindy type on 2nd line.

Just make it rights moves, JR.

he almost always does, which is why we have been in the playoffs 4 times in ten years, to the ECF three times, to the SCF's twice, won one cup. That is a great record in my book, Habs haven't done that in the last three.

If you would take the time to read the ENTIRE post over at hockeybuzz then you would understand why Matt Karesh posted them their. The abbreviated version doesn't really make much sense.

Did I say I didn't read the ENTIRE post? I in fact did read the whole post, and I still think they are all pretty dumb ideas.

Did I say I didn't read the ENTIRE post? I in fact did read the whole post, and I still think they are all pretty dumb ideas.

Well generally, when someone takes the time to put thought into reasons why they believe the trades would work, a counterargument to that thought involves a little more than "That's dumb".

Care to elaborate why you believe those trades wouldn't work, or are you just going to leave it at that?

We get that this is the off season and there's not much to talk about but the rules around here havent changed. If you dont agree with what someone else posts, respectfully disagree giving your own reasons why. Keep the personal insults off this board.

hmmm....

If I were the Gm, I would trade Brindamour, Wallin, and Babchuck and any pick they want for Marion Gaborik and Brent Burns.

Gaborik is what staal needs, and Burns is a good young defenseman. I doubt they would take any of these players, brindy and wallin cuz they are old and slow, or Babchuk cuz he's a headcase, but I am the Gm and I would blackmail there GM into making the trade. Here's to raising the cup in 2010. Let's go Gaborik "clap" "clap" "clapclapclap" better?

hmmm....

If I were the Gm, I would trade Brindamour, Wallin, and Babchuck and any pick they want for Marion Gaborik and Brent Burns.

Gaborik is what staal needs, and Burns is a good young defenseman. I doubt they would take any of these players, brindy and wallin cuz they are old and slow, or Babchuk cuz he's a headcase, but I am the Gm and I would blackmail there GM into making the trade. Here's to raising the cup in 2010. Let's go Gaborik "clap" "clap" "clapclapclap" better?

he is often injured and overrated, we don't need that.

So is Ruutu, but anyway, it's hockey and everyone except for Staal gets injured, knock on wood. I think he would be an unbelievable player if he were on a team that actually tried to score goals, as it is now he is the only threat outside of Koivu Minnesota has, and he still puts up numbers, and as long as he comes here and doesn't play at Mellon arena then he won't get injured again. Anyway, maybe we should try and sign some of our players first then see what we need.

Sorry if what I said before sounded like an isult, because it wasn't at all. And you are absolutely right IceFrog...so it here it goes ->

1. I'm pretty sure that JR has expressed that he would like the tream to get younger AND bigger. Martin St. Louis is 34 I think, and I'm pretty sure he is only listed at 5'9. While he is a great player, he isn't who JR is looking for right now.

2. I think Bieksa would be a pretty good fit here, but I honestly think you may be giving too much up for him. I am one of those who think you should probably hang on to Eaves as he is due a breakout year..hopefully..

3. I don't really understand this trade. Why trade a top player and a defenseman who scored 14 goals this season for a another top player who probably would score just as many goals as the player you already have? I like Horton, but I think people tend to forget how good a year he had with us this past season.

4. I also like Wheeler, but I also think that Bruins are going to get someone to really overpay this guy.

5. Pronger? No. He is a little old to persue I think. I think he is around 34 or 35. And again, you are trading a top player who scored 26 goals this season and a defenseman who scored 14. I'm just not very partial to trade Babchuk all together. Yeah, he was pretty awful in the playoffs, but dear lord, how many games did this guy win for us last season? It is my opinion that if he puts on some weight (and really work on the defensive aspect of the game, of course) he could be real dangerous.

This is just my two cents..

Sorry if what I said before sounded like an isult, because it wasn't at all. And you are absolutely right IceFrog...so it here it goes ->

1. I'm pretty sure that JR has expressed that he would like the tream to get younger AND bigger. Martin St. Louis is 34 I think, and I'm pretty sure he is only listed at 5'9. While he is a great player, he isn't who JR is looking for right now.

2. I think Bieksa would be a pretty good fit here, but I honestly think you may be giving too much up for him. I am one of those who think you should probably hang on to Eaves as he is due a breakout year..hopefully..

3. I don't really understand this trade. Why trade a top player and a defenseman who scored 14 goals this season for a another top player who probably would score just as many goals as the player you already have? I like Horton, but I think people tend to forget how good a year he had with us this past season.

4. I also like Wheeler, but I also think that Bruins are going to get someone to really overpay this guy.

5. Pronger? No. He is a little old to persue I think. I think he is around 34 or 35. And again, you are trading a top player who scored 26 goals this season and a defenseman who scored 14. I'm just not very partial to trade Babchuk all together. Yeah, he was pretty awful in the playoffs, but dear lord, how many games did this guy win for us last season? It is my opinion that if he puts on some weight (and really work on the defensive aspect of the game, of course) he could be real dangerous.

This is just my two cents..

thanks for the post, we are not all going to agree on everything but it becomes informative when we say "this stinks and here is why". You might change our mind and might not but at least we will understand where you are coming from. There are fewer arguments that way.

I figure it's highly unlikely that we're going to do a deal like this with a division foe. There are 2 deals on this list with division rivals. Those kinds of deals typically don't happen in any sport.