The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Found this on hockeybuzz.com. Matt Karash lists 5 trades for the Canes that make sense.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash/Canes-trades-that-could-make-sense/56/21621' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash...-sense/56/21621[/post]

1. Tuomo Ruutu & Anton Babchuk to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis

2. Anton Babchuk and Patrick Eaves(or prospect) to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa

3. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and a prospect to Florida for Nathan Horton

4. Reasonably priced player or prospect to Boston for Blake Wheeler

5. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and 1st Round Pick to Anaheim for Chris Pronger

I wouldn't mind a trade for Wheeler, or Horton but no way do I want Pronger or St.Louis.

I agree that Babchuk is prime trade bait for the Canes because 1) His value went way up with his 16 goal performance last year and 2) I don't see him sticking with the franchise after he becomes unrestricted.

Unless the value coming back is overwhelming, I don't like the idea of trading Ruutu, Eaves, or any high round draft picks.

1) Yes, a winger for Staal is desired, but trading for a small, aging sniper with a division opponent won't happen for multiple reasons.

2) Bieksa would be a nice addition, but if Vancouver trades him, who will they have on the blue-line to eat up minutes...especially since they will probably lose Ohlund to free agency.

3) Horton would be a nice addition...but unless someone overpays for him, he isn't getting traded...especially within the division.

4) Why would Boston trade Wheeler? He is big, young, talented, and cheap...wishful thinking. They need to move salary...other forwards on their team are more likely to be traded.

5) I understand why this would be appealing for the Ducks, but do you really think a player making $6.25 million fits in the budget? Not only that, but he only has 1 year left on his contract...and the cost of trading for him would be very high...I would bet my house this trade doesn't happen.

Find a trading partner that desires blue-line scoring and has a young forward who is on the verge of being a legitimate top six forward and is also an RFA like Babchuk.

No one likes trading picks or prospects, but the downside to that is there's no guarantee from that side of the fence. Anyone we draft or any of our prospects may just be unable to put forth that extra effort and crack the NHL roster. That's why, I believe, if there's a deal for a good winger or a physical, mobile defenseman, I'd have no problem trading our 1st rounder or almost any prospect.

I'd still be curious to see what would happen if we acquired a first line playmaking center and moved Staal to the wing, instead of just finding a winger for Staal. Staal's never been an ace at faceoffs (which is just a travesty, since he's got Brindamour and Francis to guide him), and I still attribute a lot of Staal's early success not to Cole, but to Stillman. Stillman had some great vision, and it probably made Staal's job a lot easier.

Agree.. but if we trade pick or prospect, let's trade for players like Hemsky for example.. not Kobasew, Bieksa and players like that. Just opinion. You never know, maybe Kobasew or Bieksa will help a lot, maybe not...

Agree too. Like i said, i think Boychuk will be very good NHL player, McBain will be, Bellemore too and my favourite Terry. For Bowman i'm not too sure. For Dalpe i don't know anything... And Sutter if he can develope and play like in juniors year, he will be Brindy type on 2nd line.

That's the problem isn't it. You never know what trade will work. JR has a pretty good record when it comes to trades while I just get to play at it!

I think Sutter is the one that we won't trade. I think if the right deal came along the others could be although I agree many of our prospects will be NHL'ers. I just don't know if it will be with the Canes.

Agree.. but if we trade pick or prospect, let's trade for players like Hemsky for example.. not Kobasew, Bieksa and players like that. Just opinion. You never know, maybe Kobasew or Bieksa will help a lot, maybe not...

Agree too. Like i said, i think Boychuk will be very good NHL player, McBain will be, Bellemore too and my favourite Terry. For Bowman i'm not too sure. For Dalpe i don't know anything... And Sutter if he can develope and play like in juniors year, he will be Brindy type on 2nd line.

That's the problem isn't it. You never know what trade will work. JR has a pretty good record when it comes to trades while I just get to play at it!

I think Sutter is the one that we won't trade. I think if the right deal came along the others could be although I agree many of our prospects will be NHL'ers. I just don't know if it will be with the Canes.

No one likes trading picks or prospects, but the downside to that is there's no guarantee from that side of the fence. Anyone we draft or any of our prospects may just be unable to put forth that extra effort and crack the NHL roster. That's why, I believe, if there's a deal for a good winger or a physical, mobile defenseman, I'd have no problem trading our 1st rounder or almost any prospect.

I'd still be curious to see what would happen if we acquired a first line playmaking center and moved Staal to the wing, instead of just finding a winger for Staal. Staal's never been an ace at faceoffs (which is just a travesty, since he's got Brindamour and Francis to guide him), and I still attribute a lot of Staal's early success not to Cole, but to Stillman. Stillman had some great vision, and it probably made Staal's job a lot easier.

we don't have to look no further than JJ to validate that (prospects).

Found this on hockeybuzz.com. Matt Karash lists 5 trades for the Canes that make sense.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash/Canes-trades-that-could-make-sense/56/21621' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matt-Karash...-sense/56/21621[/post]

1. Tuomo Ruutu & Anton Babchuk to Tampa Bay for Martin St. Louis

2. Anton Babchuk and Patrick Eaves(or prospect) to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa

3. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and a prospect to Florida for Nathan Horton

4. Reasonably priced player or prospect to Boston for Blake Wheeler

5. Tuomo Ruutu, Anton Babchuk and 1st Round Pick to Anaheim for Chris Pronger

I wouldn't mind a trade for Wheeler, or Horton but no way do I want Pronger or St.Louis.

1-St Louis is the type of winger we need for Staal, so I wouldn't mind seeing him wearing the sightless eye. However, he doesn't fit the JR mold of we have to get bigger and stronger. I would start with Anton Babchuk, but replace someone else with Ruutu, not sure who that someone else would be. Tampa has proven they are dumb so we could possibly rob them of St Louis.

2-Vancouver might do Babchuk and a late round pick for Bieksa. No need to throw Eaves or a prospect in there. Bieksa would be a good fit for this team.

3-Karash's reasoning for bringing Horton is possibly being that 2nd line center. Here's the problem, Horton is not good at center. Florida tried that experiment last year and it failed. This is why they just traded for Reinprecht (sp). He will now center the 2nd line and Horton moves back to wing where he is most comfortable. Not to mention Horton is lazy and shows up ONLY when he wants to. He can stay in Florida.

4-Wheeler would fit in, so I'd look at this.

5-Pronger was already once in this org and he showed his true colors. He won't ever play for this org again.

Agree with all of this.

On trading for picks, I would add that given last year's performance it is reasonable to assume we will be picking late in the round again next year.

Completely agree with the Stillman helped Staal thing. Cole was out for much of the year that Staal put up big numbers. I think we tend to forget all of the proven, consistant scoring we lost from the cup team:

Stillman, Williams (at 32 goal, All-Star pace), Recci, Weight, Brind'Amour at his Selke/Future Hall of Fame level, pre-injury Cole was piling up numbers also. These proven top line scorers have largely been replaced by role players (I count Cole there now also). Given that, it is that much more amazing we went as deep as we did.

I think that we don't get away with that lower scoring this year. We are getting much more from the blueline with Babs, Corvo, and Pitkanen, but I really think that we need to add one more solid point producer. While it seems unlikely, if we could get a legit first line winger for Staal I would go down and wait for select a seat today. By the way, a legit first line winger does not have to be an elite talent like Gaborik. Just someone that puts up enought points consistantly to warrent first line minutes and take some pressure off Staal.

The effect of this would be to push everyone else to lower lines making the whole team deeper. Without this guy we are going to need role players to up the ante, and Brind'Amour to improve in order to hold form. I don't want to count on that.

Agree with all of this.

On trading for picks, I would add that given last year's performance it is reasonable to assume we will be picking late in the round again next year.

Completely agree with the Stillman helped Staal thing. Cole was out for much of the year that Staal put up big numbers. I think we tend to forget all of the proven, consistant scoring we lost from the cup team:

Stillman, Williams (at 32 goal, All-Star pace), Recci, Weight, Brind'Amour at his Selke/Future Hall of Fame level, pre-injury Cole was piling up numbers also. These proven top line scorers have largely been replaced by role players (I count Cole there now also). Given that, it is that much more amazing we went as deep as we did.

I think that we don't get away with that lower scoring this year. We are getting much more from the blueline with Babs, Corvo, and Pitkanen, but I really think that we need to add one more solid point producer. While it seems unlikely, if we could get a legit first line winger for Staal I would go down and wait for select a seat today. By the way, a legit first line winger does not have to be an elite talent like Gaborik. Just someone that puts up enought points consistantly to warrent first line minutes and take some pressure off Staal.

The effect of this would be to push everyone else to lower lines making the whole team deeper. Without this guy we are going to need role players to up the ante, and Brind'Amour to improve in order to hold form. I don't want to count on that.

I definitely agree that we need another top line winger, but I don't think Stillman helped Staal that much...at least not to the point where his production has declined without him. Since Stillman was traded, Staal has played 124 games (counting the playoffs). In those games he has scored 61 goals and and 64 assists for 125 points.

Justin Williams is the real player we are missing as he'd make our second line that much better (sorry, he is a vastly superior hockey player to Chad LaRose). I understand why the trade was made, but I fully believe that Justin Williams will return to 30+ goal and 65+ point form, which is a lot more than I can say for any other winger on this team other than Whitney (who is 37).

The Avs just gave Mcleod a 3 year deal worth 3 mill. He's 25, had 15 goals last year and a ton of penalty minutes. While LaRose isnt a fighter and wont rack up the penalty minutes, it makes me wonder what kind of deal LaRose is looking for.

The Avs just gave Mcleod a 3 year deal worth 3 mill. He's 25, had 15 goals last year and a ton of penalty minutes. While LaRose isnt a fighter and wont rack up the penalty minutes, it makes me wonder what kind of deal LaRose is looking for.

Wow.. McLeod 3mil??

Wow.. McLeod 3mil??
$3M total, I believe.

Anyways, McLeod was an RFA and LaRose is a UFA. That's a big difference in negotations.

$3M total, I believe.

Anyways, McLeod was an RFA and LaRose is a UFA. That's a big difference in negotations.

Yeah its $.9 mil, $1 mil, and $1.1 mil respectively. Not to mention this guy also is a tough, big player. So not exactly comparable.

As I am looking around, there are pretty interesting guys hitting the free agent market. I really like the idea of talkin' to Rob Scuderi, as he is a solid defenseman with a reasonable payroll. But, at the end, that would mean to give up Seids and/or Babchuk, and I'm not sure we could get someone as promising as Seids and Babs for a similar amount of money.

I think our defensive roster isn't a #1 priority. Gleason will grow further into his role, as do Pitkanen and Babchuk. All these guys are still young (for defensemen) and WILL get better, and more responsibe at their own end, as their experience improves. With a lot of great prospects in Borer, Rodney, Carson, I'd say we are fine, and if we really had to adress this for the coming season, why not simply go for a short term resolution, adding one very experienced veteran D on a 1 year contract? It has been said Chris Chelios would like to play another season, and the Red Wings won't offer him another contract... :)

On forwards...I think the "winger for Staal" thing could also be adressed on the UFA market. Brian Gionta has a reasonable payroll (he made around 4 mio $ last season if i remember correcty), has great hockey sense and could surely make his line, say Staal's line, better. Now that's something I could imagine, and I could also imagine that he would be someone who's worth letting one or two guys go (what would also open spots for our prospects to step up to the NHL).

Here's one simple thing...

- we resign Colesy at ~ 2 - 2.5 a year, or else let him go

- we let go Seids

- we trade away Eaves, and maybe Babs or even the juice, simply for picks

- we land on Gionta for around 4 - 4.5 a year

- we could land on a 1.5 one year deal on Chris Chelios

-> Done

That would open a minimum of 1 spot for a D-prospect (Carson, Borer, Rodney), and 1 or 2 spots for Sutter and Boychuk...all guys having a low salary contract that would save us a lot of money. And then, after 09/10, when Kabs and Wallin will leave, when Whitney's, Cullen's, Walker's contracts are running out, we get a pretty different situation where big shots could be made on the market.

On thing I'd like to add: If rumors are right and Kabs could probably leave to the KHL, things would be different, and instead of goin for Chelios, I'd really like to bring in Scuderi, as he could be a great addition for years to come.

As I am looking around, there are pretty interesting guys hitting the free agent market. I really like the idea of talkin' to Rob Scuderi, as he is a solid defenseman with a reasonable payroll. But, at the end, that would mean to give up Seids and/or Babchuk, and I'm not sure we could get someone as promising as Seids and Babs for a similar amount of money.

I think our defensive roster isn't a #1 priority. Gleason will grow further into his role, as do Pitkanen and Babchuk. All these guys are still young (for defensemen) and WILL get better, and more responsibe at their own end, as their experience improves. With a lot of great prospects in Borer, Rodney, Carson, I'd say we are fine, and if we really had to adress this for the coming season, why not simply go for a short term resolution, adding one very experienced veteran D on a 1 year contract? It has been said Chris Chelios would like to play another season, and the Red Wings won't offer him another contract... :)

On forwards...I think the "winger for Staal" thing could also be adressed on the UFA market. Brian Gionta has a reasonable payroll (he made around 4 mio $ last season if i remember correcty), has great hockey sense and could surely make his line, say Staal's line, better. Now that's something I could imagine, and I could also imagine that he would be someone who's worth letting one or two guys go (what would also open spots for our prospects to step up to the NHL).

Here's one simple thing...

- we resign Colesy at ~ 2 - 2.5 a year, or else let him go

- we let go Seids

- we trade away Eaves, and maybe Babs or even the juice, simply for picks

- we land on Gionta for around 4 - 4.5 a year

- we could land on a 1.5 one year deal on Chris Chelios

-> Done

That would open a minimum of 1 spot for a D-prospect (Carson, Borer, Rodney), and 1 or 2 spots for Sutter and Boychuk...all guys having a low salary contract that would save us a lot of money. And then, after 09/10, when Kabs and Wallin will leave, when Whitney's, Cullen's, Walker's contracts are running out, we get a pretty different situation where big shots could be made on the market.

On thing I'd like to add: If rumors are right and Kabs could probably leave to the KHL, things would be different, and instead of goin for Chelios, I'd really like to bring in Scuderi, as he could be a great addition for years to come.

I read somewhere Chelios only wants to play with an original 6 team I think. That puts us out of the question. Seids is pretty much officially gone, lets hope Kabs walks (or we get to trade him). That leaves Corvo-Gleason, Pitkanen-Babs?, Wallin and a guy from the minors. The D is alright but we still need a tough stay at home guy. Not only would that increase team toughness and hopefully help us against teams like the Pens who have a lot of offense but with someone else taking on a defensive role, that could free up Corvo and Pitkanen to be more offensive. Towards the end of the season they really had little offensive production because they were so tied up defending. I dont think I saw Corvo in the offensive zone once during the second half except on the PP. I think JR makes a move to accomplish this.

If Seids leaves, as it looks like he will, then that leaves us woefully thin on D if we don't replace Seidenburg and Kaberle stays with the team. I'm not sure I would like to depend upon unproven AHL's to shore up the space left by Seidenburg. If I'm JR, I have to find a replacement for Seids from the NHL ranks. Could hisory be playing out again? We make a deep run one year, and then go through the next season giving up way more goals than we can score.

If Seids leaves, as it looks like he will, then that leaves us woefully thin on D if we don't replace Seidenburg and Kaberle stays with the team. I'm not sure I would like to depend upon unproven AHL's to shore up the space left by Seidenburg. If I'm JR, I have to find a replacement for Seids from the NHL ranks. Could history be playing out again? We make a deep run one year, and then go through the next season giving up way more goals than we can score.

according to the N&O Seids is all but gone, Kabs wants to stay with the team (sorry djharley), Babs will likely get a qualifying offer and most likely will stay with the team. Will will most likely pull from Albany unless something comes along that JR can't pass up.

Makes me wonder how much money Seids is asking for... More than 2 mill? thats almost double his salary last year. He is certainly worth it. I obviously dont know the numbers but I think its very important to resign Seids. He can be physical and has a good balance of defense and offense. If hes more than say 2.2 mil let him walk but how much do you all think he will get? I'm not asking how much he is worth but how much will he get?

If he wont resign, I hope JR is at least trying to trade Seids rights.

Makes me wonder how much money Seids is asking for... More than 2 mill? that's almost double his salary last year. He is certainly worth it. I obviously dont know the numbers but I think its very important to resign Seids. He can be physical and has a good balance of defense and offense. If hes more than say 2.2 mil let him walk but how much do you all think he will get? I'm not asking how much he is worth but how much will he get?

If he wont resign, I hope JR is at least trying to trade Seids rights.

why would we trade rights that in seven days we don't own? He is a UFA and on July 1st anyone can pick him up without giving us anything. What GM in their right mind would give up prospects/picks to talk to him now. It is my understanding that Seids agent is looking for $3-4mil.

Losing Seidenberg kind of sucks guys, but is it really THAT big of a deal? He's a league average stay at home defenseman with average size who was -9 last season. If somebody wants to pay him 3 million dollars next year, I'd say more power to them. That is almost as big of a rip off as what we are paying Kaberle.

We had too many defenseman on the roster last year. We don't need more than 7. Pitkanen, Gleason, and Babchuk are all young guys, and should show improvement. Corvo and Wallin aren't old enough to be in a decline phase, and should have solid years. Kaberle is not worth what we're paying him, but he's still a league level guy. Shuffle a couple AHL guys in when we need them, and our defense is not going to show any measurable decline from a talent perspective.

Our defense was 8th in the league last year in Goals Against, and 6th in the league in Shots On Goal. We have a defense minded coach. Even with losing Seids, defense is not going to be our problem next year, our problem is going to be scoring goals.

Losing Seidenberg kind of sucks guys, but is it really THAT big of a deal? He's a league average stay at home defenseman with average size who was -9 last season. If somebody wants to pay him 3 million dollars next year, I'd say more power to them. That is almost as big of a rip off as what we are paying Kaberle.

We had too many defenseman on the roster last year. We don't need more than 7. Pitkanen, Gleason, and Babchuk are all young guys, and should show improvement. Corvo and Wallin aren't old enough to be in a decline phase, and should have solid years. Kaberle is not worth what we're paying him, but he's still a league level guy. Shuffle a couple AHL guys in when we need them, and our defense is not going to show any measurable decline from a talent perspective.

Our defense was 8th in the league last year in Goals Against, and 6th in the league in Shots On Goal. We have a defense minded coach. Even with losing Seids, defense is not going to be our problem next year, our problem is going to be scoring goals.

Yeah, but you are assuming that we are able to sign Babchuk. If we happen to lose both would you consider that a "big deal"? And please enlighten me on why scoring goals is now our biggest problem?

Yeah, but you are assuming that we are able to sign Babchuk. If we happen to lose both would you consider that a "big deal"? And please enlighten me on why scoring goals is now our biggest problem?

You forget, Babs has two options:

1) Play for whatever qualifying offer we give him.

2) Play in Russia.

I don't think Babs wants to go back to Russia.

I wouldn't count on Babs taking the qualifying offer or JR throwing money at him to keep him. Eventhough he flopped during the playoffs his point production during the regular season was a nice surprise, nice enough probably for him to expect way more from JR. On the other hand, he had no problems hightailing it back to mother Russia before when he didn't get his way, so why would he hang around this time for a mere 10% pay increase? I'm sure the Kontinental Hockey League has offered him a lot more than that already.

You forget, Babs has two options:

1) Play for whatever qualifying offer we give him.

2) Play in Russia.

I don't think Babs wants to go back to Russia.

No, I haven't forgotten. He ran home to momma in Russia the last time he didn't get his way. Who's to say he want do the same this time around. I really hope not because I like Babs and think he is good enough to be one of our top 4 D-men. But getting back to the subject, if we lose both Seids and Babs that could be trouble and would force JR's hand.

why would we trade rights that in seven days we don't own? He is a UFA and on July 1st anyone can pick him up without giving us anything. What GM in their right mind would give up prospects/picks to talk to him now. It is my understanding that Seids agent is looking for $3-4mil.

We did that last year with Darcy Hordichuk thank you very much. Didn't work out, but we pulled the trigger on that deal.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=366344&page=NewsPage&service=page' target="_blank">http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page[/post]

We did that last year with Darcy Hordichuk thank you very much. Didn't work out, but we pulled the trigger on that deal.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=366344&page=NewsPage&service=page' target="_blank">http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page[/post]

those were different circumstances and Darcy was someone JR really wanted. If I remember correctly we didn't gamble too much on that one. Also that was for someone we WANTED not someone WE HAD. Also someone else has to WANT to get the jump on talking to Seids before July 1st in order for a deal to go down. Most GM's play it safe and wait until July 1.

We gave up a fifth rounder in an effort to get a two week jump on negotiations with Hordichuk's agent. Those are the chances you take.