The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

those were different circumstances and Darcy was someone JR really wanted. If I remember correctly we didn't gamble too much on that one. Also that was for someone we WANTED not someone WE HAD. Also someone else has to WANT to get the jump on talking to Seids before July 1st in order for a deal to go down. Most GM's play it safe and wait until July 1.

We gave up a fifth rounder in an effort to get a two week jump on negotiations with Hordichuk's agent. Those are the chances you take.

And don't we get a fifth rounder back this year since we weren't able to sign him? I think I remember that being the deal.

And don't we get a fifth rounder back this year since we weren't able to sign him? I think I remember that being the deal.

that is correct so in the long run it really cost us nothing.

those were different circumstances and Darcy was someone JR really wanted. If I remember correctly we didn't gamble too much on that one. Also that was for someone we WANTED not someone WE HAD. Also someone else has to WANT to get the jump on talking to Seids before July 1st in order for a deal to go down. Most GM's play it safe and wait until July 1.

We gave up a fifth rounder in an effort to get a two week jump on negotiations with Hordichuk's agent. Those are the chances you take.

Ok, so what you are basically saying is that I am right and that JR should try to trade Seid's before July 1st.

Losing Seidenberg kind of sucks guys, but is it really THAT big of a deal? He's a league average stay at home defenseman with average size who was -9 last season. If somebody wants to pay him 3 million dollars next year, I'd say more power to them. That is almost as big of a rip off as what we are paying Kaberle.

We had too many defenseman on the roster last year. We don't need more than 7. Pitkanen, Gleason, and Babchuk are all young guys, and should show improvement. Corvo and Wallin aren't old enough to be in a decline phase, and should have solid years. Kaberle is not worth what we're paying him, but he's still a league level guy. Shuffle a couple AHL guys in when we need them, and our defense is not going to show any measurable decline from a talent perspective.

Our defense was 8th in the league last year in Goals Against, and 6th in the league in Shots On Goal. We have a defense minded coach. Even with losing Seids, defense is not going to be our problem next year, our problem is going to be scoring goals.

Thank you for bringing up the Goals Against number. It's a stat that needs to be mentioned because people think we were terrible defensively because of one bad series against the Crosby/Malkin show. Under Maurice we were a Top 5 defensive team during the regular season and it continued into the playoffs up until we met up with Pittsburgh. Seidenberg was a contributor, but not a key cog in our success like I believe Pitkanen/Gleason/Corvo were. I'd throw Seidenberg into the same category as Babchuk as someone who played very well at times, but also pretty poorly at other times.

I'm a Seidenberg fan and I've posted on other boards about how I'd like to keep him, but in the end he's a #4 defenseman and we have three defensemen who are better (Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo) than that and one that could be as good and played like a Top 4 guy for half the season (Babchuk). We also have in what are my opinion two very good prospects in Carson and McBain, with Carson ready to contribute at the NHL level after three years in the AHL.

However, losing both Seidenberg and Babchuk and replacing them with prospects is unacceptable. Those guys combined for 21 goals and 65 points last season from the blueline. If both are gone (and I hope Babchuk is back despite his playoff "performance"), then a legit Top 4 defenseman needs to brought in.

Ok, so what you are basically saying is that I am right and that JR should try to trade Seid's before July 1st.

What GM out there WANTS a 7 day jump on talking to Seids? This time next week they can talk to Seids and give up nothing!! Now granted Tampa Bay hasn't made too many smart moves as of late but they would be the only one that might do that.

Secondly if you are JR, why would you even spend the time on trying to trade Seids when we need to be concentrating on Cole and LaRose? Doing something because you can isn't always viable if it doesn't make business sense.

Example, I can go to the law offices of We-Fleecem-AndHow to retain them in order to sue you for your post today. But why in the world would I pay a $10k retainer because I don't agree with you and your post doesn't make good business sense.

Seids is gone, JR needs to concentrate on other things.

Thank you for bringing up the Goals Against number. It's a stat that needs to be mentioned because people think we were terrible defensively because of one bad series against the Crosby/Malkin show. Under Maurice we were a Top 5 defensive team during the regular season and it continued into the playoffs up until we met up with Pittsburgh. Seidenberg was a contributor, but not a key cog in our success like I believe Pitkanen/Gleason/Corvo were. I'd throw Seidenberg into the same category as Babchuk as someone who played very well at times, but also pretty poorly at other times.

I'm a Seidenberg fan and I've posted on other boards about how I'd like to keep him, but in the end he's a #4 defenseman and we have three defensemen who are better (Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo) than that and one that could be as good and played like a Top 4 guy for half the season (Babchuk). We also have in what are my opinion two very good prospects in Carson and McBain, with Carson ready to contribute at the NHL level after three years in the AHL.

However, losing both Seidenberg and Babchuk and replacing them with prospects is unacceptable. Those guys combined for 21 goals and 65 points last season from the blueline. If both are gone (and I hope Babchuk is back despite his playoff "performance"), then a legit Top 4 defenseman needs to brought in.

why do you think Babs is gone? do you think he will opt to play in Russia?

why do you think Babs is gone? do you think he will opt to play in Russia?
No. Based on Babchuk coming over to play in the AHL at the age of 19 and some of the positive comments he made about North American hockey while in Russia a few years ago, I full believe he intends to play in the NHL. I'm also sure that he knows that he'll make big bucks here in the NHL if he keeps playing like he did last season for a few more years. He's only two years away from UFA eligibility.

When he ran back to Russia he was an unproven prospect who was sick of riding the bus in the AHL. Now he's an established NHL player who scored the fifth-most goals of any defenseman this past season.

But based on Rutherford's comments, I don't think he's willing to pay Babchuk what he's actually worth. Young, 16-goal defensemen don't come cheap. For that reason, I could see Babchuk being traded. I'd hate to see it happen, though.

Ok, so what you are basically saying is that I am right and that JR should try to trade Seid\'s before July 1st.

JR has more important things to do then call up other GMs asking them if they want negotiating rights with Seids.

Last year, JR called Nashville to get Hordichuk. Nashville wasn\'t actively seeking to trade his rights nor should JR be actively seeking to trade Seids rights.

No, I haven\'t forgotten. He ran home to momma in Russia the last time he didn\'t get his way. Who\'s to say he want do the same this time around.

If Babs runs back to Russia he can pretty much kiss his NHL career over. GMs are getting pissed at these guys running over to Russia. Running over there twice in a matter of 2 years won\'t look good on his resume. GMs will be hard pressed to take a chance that when times get tough he\'ll just go running back and then putting their team in a bind. Especially when there are plenty of guys who want to be in the NHL.

No. Based on Babchuk coming over to play in the AHL at the age of 19 and some of the positive comments he made about North American hockey while in Russia a few years ago, I full believe he intends to play in the NHL. I'm also sure that he knows that he'll make big bucks here in the NHL if he keeps playing like he did last season for a few more years. He's only two years away from UFA eligibility.

When he ran back to Russia he was an unproven prospect who was sick of riding the bus in the AHL. Now he's an established NHL player who scored the fifth-most goals of any defenseman this past season.

But based on Rutherford's comments, I don't think he's willing to pay Babchuk what he's actually worth. Young, 16-goal defensemen don't come cheap. For that reason, I could see Babchuk being traded. I'd hate to see it happen, though.

traded maybe but that would depend on what happens with Cole, Ruutu, and Jussi. and only maybe if we can send Kabs with him.

Babchuk's not long for this team, no matter what happens this offseason. He may grab the QO this year, but after that, I expect to see him in a different jersey, no matter how well/poorly he plays this upcoming season.

I think Babchuk made his decision that he wanted to be in the NHL when he returned last year. If he goes back to the KHL I think he knows it will be a career move not just for a year. I think he stays with the Canes for another year but a trade isn

I think Babchuk made his decision that he wanted to be in the NHL when he returned last year. If he goes back to the KHL I think he knows it will be a career move not just for a year. I think he stays with the Canes for another year but a trade isn

Kabs stated in his exit interview that he ain't going to Russia, Babs won't ruin his career over going back again (he knows he is a year or two away from the big payday), Seids is gone unless other offers are the same as ours.

Too many ifs to make a prediction.

Babchuk's not long for this team, no matter what happens this offseason. He may grab the QO this year, but after that, I expect to see him in a different jersey, no matter how well/poorly he plays this upcoming season.

Why?

Why?

I think the expectation is that as Babchuk improves, like Seidenberg he will play himself out of our affordability. So he'll play out the qualifying offer deal, become a UFA and be gone because we won't be able to pay him the kind of money he'll demand on the market.

Why?

In a year or two he will be a UFA and will make himself available to the highest bidder. Just part of business, I don't see Babs EVER giving us a home town discount.

I just think no matter what how well Babchuk plays here, JR will continue to lowball him because of the Albany incident. He could be our best defenseman next season and I'd be willing to bet JR won't offer the amount he would actually be worth.

I just think no matter what how well Babchuk plays here, JR will continue to lowball him because of the Albany incident. He could be our best defenseman next season and I'd be willing to bet JR won't offer the amount he would actually be worth.

Your probably right, but in that case it's a shame because I think Babs can develop into a solid, top 4 D-man. I guess you just don't piss JR off. :unsure:

I'm not as certain as you that Babs will be a top four D-man but he could be. If it works out we will have one more

season to find out. I think his rocket from the blue line would be missed.

Your probably right, but in that case it's a shame because I think Babs can develop into a solid, top 4 D-man. I guess you just don't piss JR off. :unsure:

I'm not as certain as you that Babs will be a top four D-man but he could be. If it works out we will have one more

season to find out. I think his rocket from the blue line would be missed.

I was ok with most of this until i read buy out Kabs/Wallin/Walker!! You do know we take a cap hit when we buy someone out plus it still cost the team money. And why in the world would you want to get rid of Walker, other than rosie he is the only person that shows up EVERY night EVERY shift. Cole can stay if it is at a discount and i would give him a few extra years. and definitely no on the Corvo deal.

[/quo

Walker only played half the season last year!!

I was ok with most of this until i read buy out Kabs/Wallin/Walker!! You do know we take a cap hit when we buy someone out plus it still cost the team money. And why in the world would you want to get rid of Walker, other than rosie he is the only person that shows up EVERY night EVERY shift. Cole can stay if it is at a discount and i would give him a few extra years. and definitely no on the Corvo deal.

Walker only played half the season last year!!

and your point is?? should we pay for him to play for another team?

Agreed. Once you piss off JR, you no longer fit into the Hurricanes long term plans. Just ask Jack Johnson.

Its a shame, really. In the proper setting, and with a few more years of experience, I agree Babchuk has the potential to be a top 4 D-man.

In response to the post about what we do if Seids / Babchuk / Kaberle are all gone? I think that we cross that unlikely bridge when we come to it. There are enough concrete problems to worry about, without worrying about hypothetical ones.

JR has more important things to do then call up other GMs asking them if they want negotiating rights with Seids.

I suppose if someone calls to ask about Seids rights, JR should just tell them he is too busy to talk to them...

A phone call takes 5 minutes. I'm sure he's already on the phone talking about trades anyway, why not bring it up.