The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canes-Fan-In-Montreal

Playing GM for the 2009-2010 Season

Well, I've enjoyed seeing all the different ideas that have come across from everybody, so I thought I'd throw my ideas in the hat. Here goes.

* Trade or buy-out Kaberle (or if he decides to go the KHL route, that's fine, too). Not a hater, but at best, I think he's a #5 or #6 defenseman, and we have younger guys like Babchuk or Rodney that can fill that spot for less money.

* Trade Samsonov for a draft pick or a prospect. No offense to Sergei, but I see him as a small 3rd line player with a big contract. The team needs to get bigger and more physical and his dollars can be used elsewhere.

* Re-sign UFA's Rosie (3 yr @ $1.75m/yr), Cole (2 yr @ $2.75m/yr), and RFA's Ruutu (3 yr @ $3.0m/yr) and Jokinen (2 yr @ $2.0m/yr).

* Either resign Babchuk for 1 yr @ $1.5m or trade his rights to the NY Rangers for Brandon Dubinsky's rights and sign him to a similar deal.

* Sign FA D-man Rob Scuderi or Mike Komiserak to a 3 yr-$3.5m/yr contract. Should be able to get Scuderi for that number, not sure about Komiserak.

Lines would be:

-Whitney- Staal- Ruutu (Whitney and Ruutu should prove to be more than capable wingmen for Staal.)

-LaRose- Cullen- Cole (Cole will be looking to disprove a lot of doubters and should rebound with a solid season.)

-Walker- Brind'Amour- Jokinen (I think the Captain returns to form next season after giving his knee a full offseason to heal.)

-Conboy- Sutter (or Dubinsky)- Eaves (Still think that Eaves can become a major contributor for this team.)

-Scuderi/Komiserak - Pitkanen

-Gleason- Corvo (At this point, I think they are better suited to be the 3/4 pair instead of the 1/2.)

-Wallin- Babchuk (or Rodney)

There it is. Based on the cap numbers listed for next year, this team would come in somewhere between $52 and $53.5 million.

Doesn't look bad. My only comments would be:

1. Komiserak's an interesting choice, but someone I would pass on. He's physical and he blocks shots, but he's got a really bad habit of giving up the puck. 89 giveaways compared to 21 takeaways.

2. I don't see the Rangers letting Dubinsky go. Judging from the commentary from Ranger fans, they want him back and he wants to stay.

3. A Wallin-Babchuk pairing may very well be the worst pairing in NHL history. I guess we could try it, if we want to go into the record books that way.

I suppose if someone calls to ask about Seids rights, JR should just tell them he is too busy to talk to them...

A phone call takes 5 minutes. I'm sure he's already on the phone talking about trades anyway, why not bring it up.

Your beating a dead horse, in the scheme of things JR's time is better spent working on Cole and LaRose unless of course you want us to pass on those two and focus solely on Seids.

Some things may have been said before, but to the ongoing ideas and discussions, I'd pick'em up again....

Seidenberg is no trade bait. He becomes a free agent at July 1st, so anyone could pick him up for free. Only 2 scenarios would lead to a trade:

• Seids would be resigned and then traded. That wouldn't make too much sense, cause at any reasonable price, JR would keep him right here. If his contract would on the other hand be overpaying him, no other team would like to pick him up as well, so...nothing will happen here
  • Some team wants to offer something in return just to get it off the payroll. In this case, JR isn't looking around anyways, but other teams could come up with their offer themselfs. Anyhow, I don't see this team to be capable to carry any payrolls just for the sake of it, as JR is known to spend the canes money very reasonable only

So, in the end, I'm pretty sure that Seids is either goin to stay or simply let go when he turns UFA on July 1st....nothing more will happen.

On Cole: I'm sure he will resign with us at any price JR thinks is adequate.

• Colesy loves this team, and he loves this area. He already anounced that this is the place where he and his family want to live, so he will do whatever is needed to stay with this team
  • On the other hand: What team in the NHL would even think about paying him more money than the canes would do? For every other team, his latest performances are way below expectations, and thats what they see. We are the only team that sees more in Colesy, his great chemistry AND friendship with our top franchise player, his great attitude in the locker room, and his status as a fan favorite. So, if there's any team in the league which would spend any extra dollar beyond of his performance value, it's only the canes.

Colesy will return with the team, and I'm happy with that. He's a part of this family, and a very good player who always puts up great work ethic and effort. If we'e able to sign him for 2.0 - 3.0 a year, that would be a great deal, and there's still a possibility that he would step out of his slump and become the pe-injury Cole again. If not, he'd stil be a fair deal at this price.

For anyone who didn't hear it, Cole was on 850 yesterday, and discussed a range of things (from the "handshake controversy" to Aaron Ward to the Yankees), as well as the status with contract talks. Regarding that, he said he hopes things are worked out before July 1, but if not, it doesn't "close the door" on coming back here, it just may take more time to get it done. The next meeting is apparently this weekend, so I guess no news until then.

The interview is available here: http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/

I suppose if someone calls to ask about Seids rights, JR should just tell them he is too busy to talk to them...

A phone call takes 5 minutes. I'm sure he's already on the phone talking about trades anyway, why not bring it up.

Here's the point you are missing, No GM is going to trade for Seidenberg's rights. He isn't Bouwmeester or even a player in that category.

JR has 2 UFA's who hit the free market come July 1st who JR has said is his main priority. Now I ask you do you really think he is concerned about getting a 6th or 7th round pick when he has 2 guys he wants signed before July 1st?

Here's the point you are missing, No GM is going to trade for Seidenberg's rights. He isn't Bouwmeester or even a player in that category.

JR has 2 UFA's who hit the free market come July 1st who JR has said is his main priority. Now I ask you do you really think he is concerned about getting a 6th or 7th round pick when he has 2 guys he wants signed before July 1st?

Thank you, apparently I wasn't speaking his language!! LOL

I'm sure that if a GM out there called JR with an offer for Seids rights, he'd take the call but JR isn't going to be calling every GM in the league trying to move Seids rights.

Phone rings. J.R. picks it up. "Hello".

GM of another team, "I'm interested in acquiring Seidenberg's rights. Are you interested."

J.R, "We aren't going to be able to sign him so what are you offering".

Other GM, "How about a coupon for a free movie rental at Blockbuster and a $5 Foot Long?"

J.R. yells down the hall, "Mo, have you eaten yet?"

Mo yells back,"No"

J.R. "Make that two foot longs and you have a deal".

I'd rather J.R. spend his time on guys that are in his plan for next season. Rights for UFA's aren't normally an asset to trade.

I'm sure that if a GM out there called JR with an offer for Seids rights, he'd take the call but JR isn't going to be calling every GM in the league trying to move Seids rights.

GM of another team, "I'm interested in acquiring Seidenberg's rights. Are you interested."

Other GM, "How about a coupon for a free movie rental at Blockbuster and a $5 Foot Long?"

Mo yells back,"No"

I'd rather J.R. spend his time on guys that are in his plan for next season. Rights for UFA's aren't normally an asset to trade.

Love the avatar and signature, the greatest movie of all time!! The things I learned from that movie!!

Mo yells back,"No"

Very Funny!

Mo yells back,"No"

Very Funny!

For anyone who didn't hear it, Cole was on 850 yesterday, and discussed a range of things (from the "handshake controversy" to Aaron Ward to the Yankees), as well as the status with contract talks. Regarding that, he said he hopes things are worked out before July 1, but if not, it doesn't "close the door" on coming back here, it just may take more time to get it done. The next meeting is apparently this weekend, so I guess no news until then.

The interview is available here: http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/''>http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/' target="_blank">http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/[/post]

Thanks for the link. It really sounds like Cole wants to stay. Maybe we get Cole signed before July 1.

The interview is available here: http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/''>http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/' target="_blank">http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/[/post]

Thanks for the link. It really sounds like Cole wants to stay. Maybe we get Cole signed before July 1.

Has anyone considered the possibility that there is a level of communication or two below GM to GM when it comes to trade talks? Its not like JR has one phoneline and he's the only guy in the office.

Has anyone considered the possibility that there is a level of communication or two below GM to GM when it comes to trade talks? Its not like JR has one phoneline and he's the only guy in the office.

Well played, and the players talk too. ;)

Mo yells back,"No"

:lol::lol: You're right trading someone's rights doesn't warrant a lot in return.

Chris Chelios, anyone?

*sarcastic, btw*

You might be saying that with sarcasm, but I would personally be a huge fan of bringing him here for a year. He was one of the best, and we could pair him with the younger guys in order to teach them a lot. He would be a huge locker room presence, and we would easily have the money for him if D-Berg walked. He says he wants to play in the East, I say we give him a year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ak9O1wv350lFVApuBnHxmtE5nYcB?slug=ap-chelios-future&prov=ap&type=lgns' target="_blank">Chelios[/post]

We need fix's that arent band aids on issues. Bringing him in is pointless when we got Glen still around to provide tutiledge to our young D.

We need fix's that arent band aids on issues. Bringing him in is pointless when we got Glen still around to provide tutiledge to our young D.

I wouldn't say pointless, but my opinion of Chelios must be higher than others. If I had to choose between Wesley and Chelios (which I obviously wouldn't have to since we would have both), I would rather have Chelios teaching my young guys. He would sign for cheap and provide a leadership that the D doesn't have inside the locker room and in game situations.

I would rather have Chelios teaching my young guys. He would sign for cheap and provide a leadership that the D doesn't have inside the locker room and in game situations.

Interesting viewpoint. Amazed you would suggest Chelios as any kind of leader.

We are the only team that sees more in Colesy,

Speak for yourself.....

So, now that Seids is basically out of the picture.... looks like JR won't sign a replacement, but hope that Kaberle fits the bill... I'm not a big Kaberle fan...but it makes sense. I just hope he stays healthy and plays well next season. If only he could revert to the Kaberle I saw a few years ago, before the big contract.

So, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that JR isn't going to "upgrade" anything. No new winger for Staal, no defenseman. So, I think Maurice should try Eaves at wing on Staal's line. I mean, they've tried pretty much everyone else. Why not? Tripp and John, as well as the players, talk this guy up. Say he has one of, if not the best shot on the team. Personally, I don't think they're just blowing smoke... Maybe it's worth a try, couldn't hurt.

Interesting viewpoint. Amazed you would suggest Chelios as any kind of leader.

You don't think Chelios could be a leader?

I don't think it'd be the type of move we'd make, nor one that would fix any of our problems, but Chelios could be a great veteran leader to any young defenseman. He's played the game for so long, he's got to know the ins and outs of it.

Resign with Cole for two year. First line will be Ruutu-Staal-Cole. But, i think if Boychuk play impressive on camp, first line will be Boychuk-Staal-Cole. Then, second line will be Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu. Don't resign with Larose and give chance to Eaves. Third line will be Samsonov-Brindamour-Eaves. Last line will be Bayda, resign with him too, Jokinen on C and Walker.

Boychuk-Staal-Cole

Whitney-Cullen-Ruutu

Samsonov-Brindamour-Eaves

Bayda-Jokinen-Walker

If Larose resign, should be Ruutu-Staal-Cole and Whitney-Cullen-Larose. I love Chad but Eaves deserves chance. He is better player, seriously. Or maybe Sammy-Brindy-Chad but Walker will be move on 4nd and Boychuk will not make team.

If we want good d-man, we should trade Babs. Or:

Gleason-Corvo

Pitkanen-McBain

Vaananen-Wallin/Babs.

I like this. Vaananen is underrated monster. McBain will be very good on pairing with Pits.